Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Yankee Chat

Hey all,
    I come in here a lot (Yankee Chat) and no one is in it.
    People should be in there. Don't you guys think? It's really boring, we all should at least try once a week and chat.

What do you guys think??

JimF
    I agree, and WHOLE HEARTEDLY, at that!

Every now and then I'll sit in there for a few minutes, but nobody ever comes.

Come on people, it's there for you to use! Granted, it's not as fancy as the Yankees.com chat facilities, but I'm not about to take the time to improve the chat if nobody uses it anyway...

I'm pretty close to taking it offline, due to the SURPRISING unpopularity of it.

I hope, at least for my sake, that people start using it.

NYYF Legend

I don't have much experience with chat rooms. the one time I tried one I didn't know what was going on. But I'll try it here, maybe during the games. I'm looking for more quality time, maybe this will fit the bill.
    Land of the free?
    It's all about oil.
    Pray for the proud amerikans

NYYF Legend

I've tried several times, but no one was ever there either. Maybe you should have a specific time, like for instance 9:00 on Monday (or whatever time and day) and post a topic about it on the forum. Maybe people will be more aware of it for the first time and then it will become a habit.

JimF
    That's a great idea Trish. Maybe we should figure out what would be a good time for everyone?

I have also gone in a couple times and nobody was there. Sometimes weird things happen when I log in there, like I get taken to some other chat, some weird chinese sex chat or something its crazy. but yeah if there was a set time when we would *yankees* chat i would do it!

Now what time should we all meet? What days work? I think it should be in the weekend, maybe Saturday night. I have school, softball practice/games, and I work on the weekends
    (morning). Hmm I don't know.. Jim any ideas?

Wow!! Hey Jim, how can I get connected to weird chinese sex chat? This site just keeps getting better!!!
    Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds - Robert Nesta Marley

JimF
    Sundays are typically the slowest days around here, so unless there are a lot of Sopranos fans, why don't we do it on Sunday Evenings? Or maybe during Sunday games???

Tell me what days you think would be best.

Butnud-Bombers.com
    sundays would be kewl for me!

Devoted Member

First off Sopranos wont be back till March 2001, reruns start in June.

I would suggest a day like Friday night. I noticed the other nite that 10 people were logged in at once on the site! Or maybe, for people who have a life and go out on weekends, a Wednesday! Wednesday is usually when things calm down for people and they can come online a bit more! But whatever you choose, during game time is a GREAT idea!

But what if we people don't live in New York and don't know when the games are on? What do we do then? How will we know
    when people are doing play-by-plays? I think that Sunday is a great day! We should take a vote!!!

JimF
    A) The schedule is always accessible via the main page.
    B) You can pick up the radio broadcast on the chat page.

I'd rather have it at a time when there is typically not a lot of people here, so that people become more involved. I don't want to have it at a time that everybody is here, because they are already here; if that makes any sense.

It's kinda like Gas Stations having specials on Wednesdays, or Restaurants giving discounts on Mondays.

Devoted Member

I understand your logic Jim, however with the net you have to offer things when you know people are online. Usually people aren't around on Sunday because thats family day. So to have a post "chat meeting tonite at whatever time", then when there are lots of people around, they see it then click on the chat link..then eventually when people get use to going into chat they will go all the time and therefore you get more use! Thats my logic..

[Edited by Better Than Hoover Lite on May 20th, 2000 at 07:14 PM]

Butnud-Bombers.com
    hey I have a great idea.
    Does anybody know of ICQ?
    I can upload it to this server or whatever and we can use it as a Yankee chat.
    that way we can use that as our chat and have lots of Yankee members in a chat and therefore it is make the site not as slow becuase of the people using it...
    how about my thought?

JimF
    But if we had a scheduled weekly chat; say every Sunday at 7:00PM, or something. People would now, because it would be constant.

From a webmaster point of view, I want people to come here when they are not already here.

Butnud, to use it as a real ICQ, I would have to install tons of software to be able to host an IRC chat server. The java-based chatroom that we have now is more than sufficient. The problem isn't the facilities, the problem is nobody uses them.

Butnud-Bombers.com
    I don't understand what u are trying to say?
    slet me try and understand through words.
    so you want to attract people when they are not here. you wan them to come and participate in a chat.

JimF
    Yes. If we set up a chat for a time that is generally slow, from a webmaster perspective, that is much better because it draws people here when they might not ordinarily be.

Some people might not even think about going online on a Sunday evening. But if they know that there will be a regular group of people getting together for a chat, they will come here when they normally wouldn't. This would be good for everybody, because chances are they would participate in some of our forum discussions.

Butnud-Bombers.com
    So basically you want people from all sorts, just besides us regulars....

Devoted Member

Ok, this is not meant as an insult in ANYWAY to you or the site Jim, but. what makes you think people would take time outta there day to go online when they do not usually go on? IMHO its best to do it when people ARE around, then after a while it becomes habit for them and they pop in at all times of the day and night, just to check it out! HEY. I am a marketing major kinda.. listen to me dammit!

I like the idea of going on during games...even though lost of times during games is when i specifically can't go on...

Yeah, non-NY area people don't know when games are on.... approximate. Typically 7:05 PM (remember 7:05 from Yankees.com?) Eastern time, and as you probably know they usually run over an "unmanageable" 3 hours... so chances are b/w 7-10 on weeknites (yeah, sometimes there's off-days, but still no harm in going on at that time). And on weekends afternoon games are at 1:05 Eastern. So who says we can't do both?

I mean, out of the 460 members on the forum it is all but impossible to have everyone on at once...
    "You aint my b!tch, n!gga! Buy your own damn fries!" -- Barack Obama

NYYF Triple Crown

New York City, The greatest city in the entire world!!
    The evenings are cool with me. Any time after 7PM.

Please people come in. No one is ever in chat when I am there.

Butnud-Bombers.com
    I went during games noboyd was there.
    I went after rgames nobody was there.
    I went before games noboydy was there....

We need a time for everybody schedule...

NYYF MVP

I really haven't been to chat mostly because I'm usually doing something else. As a potential chatroom visitor (I have been to other sites), I suggest 2 things:

1) Publicize the time of the chat & its features (if any). Do this well & often!

2) IMHO, a time around games make the most sense, it's when we're paying attention!

GoYanks!

An idea

I participate in a radio chat room that convenes every Wednesday night at 9. So far it works - everyone meets at that time. Why not try that here - just don't make it Wednesday! LOL! You could post it on the front page (i.e. - Don't forget, Yankees chat at 8 on Monday, or whatever).
    Pete

Thread Information