+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Re: Sexson cut by Mariners

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze
    This is such a silly myth.....its almost like people think the man has been sitting on his couch swilling beer and eating cheetos non stop.....

His agent already said it would take him 7-10 days to be ready.
    He looks like hes eaten a few bags of Cheetos.
    If you listen to the fans you’ll be sitting with them soon enough.- Brian Cashman

This is such a silly myth.....its almost like people think the man has been sitting on his couch swilling beer and eating cheetos non stop.....

Just because his agent said so, does that make it realistic? Most players aren't necessarily sitting around swilling beer and eating cheetos all winter, yet the exhibition season is still a lot longer than a week and a half. Presumably teams think all that live practice, which obviously Bonds hasn't been doing during his layoff, is pretty important for being able to perform at a major league level.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk
    Just because his agent said so, does that make it realistic? Most players aren't necessarily sitting around swilling beer and eating cheetos all winter, yet the exhibition season is still a lot longer than a week and a half. Presumably teams think all that live practice, which obviously Bonds hasn't been doing during his layoff, is pretty important for being able to perform at a major league level.
    The guy who recently was making 20 million a year and all of a sudden is offering his services for the league minimum is doing this while not being in good or great shape?

What if it takes 2 weeks, maybe 3? That's still early August....and that's worst case scenario.

A hitter of Barry's caliber and skill set isnt going to have to need a month of live batting practice against AAA pitchers.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

The guy who recently was making 20 million a year and all of a sudden is offering his services for the league minimum is doing this while not being in good or great shape?
    I have no idea what shape he's in, but it's not really his level of fitness I'm talking about.
    What if it takes 2 weeks, maybe 3? That's still early August....and that's worst case scenario. A hitter of Barry's caliber and skill set isnt going to have to need a month of live batting practice against AAA pitchers.
    Maybe. The guy's 42 years old and hasn't faced a real pitch in 10 months. I think it's more than a little unrealistic to accept his agent's word that he'd major league ready that quickly.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

At this point, can either of them really hurt?
    On one hand- you ask the exact opposite question "how can they help?"

If damon and matsui are back and healthy, not much. Posada in DH spot, and we have 3 acceptable bats in the OF (bobby, Matsui, Damon).
    But if Posada can catch, opening the DH spot... I bet it won't be worse than Gardner, Melky or Betemit in the lineup (offensively)
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes
    At this point, can either of them really hurt?
    On one hand- you ask the exact opposite question "how can they help?"

If damon and matsui are back and healthy, not much. Posada in DH spot, and we have 3 acceptable bats in the OF (bobby, Matsui, Damon).
    But if Posada can catch, opening the DH spot... I bet it won't be worse than Gardner, Melky or Betemit in the lineup (offensively)
    Did you just come over to the Dark Side?

Exactly my thoughts.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

I'd rather have Melky than Gardner out there at the plate... but don't confuse "rather" with "want." I'd rather have a broken arm than a broken skull. I don't want either.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

I hope they don't sign him just so I don't have to hear John Sterling say
    "It is high, it is far, It's Gone! Oh, that's Sexy!"

or some silly call like that.

Have you ever played baseball? I have, and I know that if I went the amount of time he's gone without playing any games, it would take me 7-10 days before I could make solid contact IN A BATTING CAGE!

Of course his agent is going to say that. He's desperate to get him a contract somewhere because this is embarrassing to the both of them.

I'm sure he's kept himself in shape, but it would still take a while before he could do well against Major League pitchers. Guaranteed you'd see a lot of weak pop-outs in foul territory, ala Gary Sheffield when he came back from his wrist injury, before Bonds finally gets back in the groove. Trying to hit Josh Beckett is a lot different than taking practice cuts off Uncle Willie. Not to mention, this isn't some college kid, this is an old man with a bad wheel. That's why I not only wonder what kind of playing shape he is in, but I'd be especially concerned that he's not in mid-season form. He'd need at least 3 weeks going through the minor league levels before he could be considered.

All that said, I'd probably still do it if he really will sign for the minimum, but I don't see the Yanks doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjf
    Have you ever played baseball? I have, and I know that if I went the amount of time he's gone without playing any games, it would take me 7-10 days before I could make solid contact IN A BATTING CAGE!

Of course his agent is going to say that. He's desperate to get him a contract somewhere because this is embarrassing to the both of them.

I'm sure he's kept himself in shape, but it would still take a while before he could do well against Major League pitchers. Guaranteed you'd see a lot of weak pop-outs in foul territory, ala Gary Sheffield when he came back from his wrist injury, before Bonds finally gets back in the groove. Trying to hit Josh Beckett is a lot different than taking practice cuts off Uncle Willie. Not to mention, this isn't some college kid, this is an old man with a bad wheel. That's why I not only wonder what kind of playing shape he is in, but I'd be especially concerned that he's not in mid-season form. He'd need at least 3 weeks going through the minor league levels before he could be considered.

All that said, I'd probably still do it if he really will sign for the minimum, but I don't see the Yanks doing it.
    LMAO at you comparing yourself to Barry Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by shadyridr
    LMAO at you comparing yourself to Barry Bonds
    Well, I think I've got him in the speed department. He has some more power than me, but we'll both take our share of walks (I'm really short so I have no strikezone). I also like Cheetos.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by bigjf

U need to be signed then
    NYK // NYG // NYY

Thread Information