+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Sexson cut by Mariners

Quote Originally Posted by webassign
    He better be in the lineup on Sunday against Tallet like hellonewman said.
    Completely agree. If he's willing to take a bench role for major league minimum, sign him up. So we send Traber or Christian down for a few weeks to see if Sexson can hit lefties off the bench. Really no downside there. And if Sexson doesn't catch on, he's DFA bait. Chance to make a very low risk short term move to fill a very big hole on our major league roster. Imagine having a 1.000 OPS guy on the bench to come in against LHP??? That's what he's put up in 70 plate appearances this year.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07122008...son_119510.htm

Cashman: We are interested in Sexson.
    If you listen to the fans you’ll be sitting with them soon enough.- Brian Cashman

Quote Originally Posted by R.V.47
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/07122008...son_119510.htm

Cashman: We are interested in Sexson.
    Go get him Cash!!! To me, if Sexson will take a bench role for league minimum this is a total no brainer. As a PH against LHP he still has value. And even against RHP, I'll take the massive K rate with the occassional HR mixed in if he's a PH option for a Molina or Moeller type against RHP.

Get it done, Cash.

NYYF Triple Crown

So we are interested in Sexson and not Bonds? That's pretty ridiculous.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung4Vazquez
    All part of the team's current youth movement.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio
    All part of the team's current youth movement.
    mmm

Forum Regular

The only way the Yankees pursue him is if they see something in his past swing that he isn't doing now and they are confident they could "fix it". I have no idea if Seattle told him what to fix and if Sexson refused to, but if that was the case you would think he'd be open to suggestions after being cut (humiliating no matter how much $$$ you make). It doesn't make sense that his skills would just diminish that quickly, it would lead you to believe that something about his swing "changed" in a short time period. Th only issue is that do you waste 2 weeks trying to "right him" on your roster? Or could you even keep him in the minors for a few weeks to "tweak" his swing and see if it works, without giving up free outs in the big leagues ???
    “I was one of those guys he'd sit down with and put his arm around. We talked.... Until you messed up a few times. Then it was different.” [B][I]Bobby Meachan[/I][/B]

I love these types of signings. There is relatively no risk and a decent possible reward.

Sign him to a minor-league deal let him get some work in down there and get his confidence up and show that he still has something. Then call him up to the majors have him work extensively with Kevin Long and play exclusively against left handed pitchers and see what you have. If he isn't helping he can go the way of Morgan Ensberg and get DFA'd.

Although as many others have mentioned I wouldn't let this get in the way of possibly signing Bonds who could have a much bigger impact and definitely should be a guy we sign if Matsui needs surgery.

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714
    Although as many others have mentioned I wouldn't let this get in the way of possibly signing Bonds who could have a much bigger impact and definitely should be a guy we sign if Matsui needs surgery.
    The only reason to bring in Bonds is if the A-Rod circus becomes 2 rings and you need a 3rd ring.
    “I was one of those guys he'd sit down with and put his arm around. We talked.... Until you messed up a few times. Then it was different.” [B][I]Bobby Meachan[/I][/B]

there's levels to this! ARoDfan4life's Avatar

minor league deal if he sucks DFA or waive him, If anything this would be the end of Wilson Betemit's Yankee career, sad he hits the ball hard but too many times at people when he doesn't SO.
    "I wish the Yankees had a GM"

Oh no. He couldn't handle the boos in Seattle. Yes they actually boo someone else besides A-Rod once in a while. How in the hell will he handle NY?
    Spring Training is just around the corner!

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesAZ
    Oh no. He couldn't handle the boos in Seattle. Yes they actually boo someone else besides A-Rod once in a while. How in the hell will he handle NY?
    By getting a few at bats a week and being put in a position where he can actually produce (PH against LHP).

I love these types of signings. There is relatively no risk and a decent possible reward.

Sign him to a minor-league deal let him get some work in down there and get his confidence up and show that he still has something. Then call him up to the majors have him work extensively with Kevin Long and play exclusively against left handed pitchers and see what you have. If he isn't helping he can go the way of Morgan Ensberg and get DFA'd.

Totally agree. Can I ask a question though? Why is everyone so absolutely sold on Kevin Long? I know there's comments made about A-Rod's season last year, and players support him... but shouldn't he also be helping Cabrera/Cano/Abreu/etc? Why does everyone assume that Long can make everyone a hitter?

This guy may be the worst hitter in all of baseball and theres no way of knowing he would be good in a bench role since he has been a starter basically his whole career and sometimes players dont make that adjustment to well. Since it will cost nothing I wouldnt be devistated if they brought him in but Im not gonna have big expectations.
    If you listen to the fans you’ll be sitting with them soon enough.- Brian Cashman

NYYF Legend

Sexton's splits vs. LHP this year are impressive: .344/.423/.623. But that's just 61 AB.

Is it flukey?

Same split:
    2007: .238/.333/.419
    2006: .204/.325/.438
    GO YANKS
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 8, 9, 10, 15, 16, 20, 23, 32, 37, 42, 44, 46, 49, 51

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesAZ
    Sexson had a 4yr./$50 mil. contract to live up to in Seattle. theres no pressure/expectations this time around

Quote Originally Posted by TheBamTino24
    Sexton's splits vs. LHP this year are impressive: .344/.423/.623. But that's just 61 AB.

Is it flukey?

Same split:
    It could be, but I'd be willing to invest majoy league minimum to find out, especially since we wouldn't have to ship out anyone to SWB that isn't either redundant or subpar at what they do.

Here are some '08 splits:
    • Cabrera against LHP - .575 OPS
    • Molina against LHP - .532 OPS
    • Moeller against LHP - .625 OPS
    • Betemit against LHP - .669 OPS
    I'd rather have Sexson up there hitting an occassional bomb against a LHP in a big spot late in the game than these guys. And if he proves he can't do that after signing, nothing lost. See ya.

NYYF Cy Young

Doubtful that he'd sign a minor league deal. Someone will give him a major league deal.

The big thing about Bonds, aside from the media circus and all, is that we don't know what kind of shape he is in right now. I doubt we could sign Bonds tomorrow and have him produce anything for the big club in a week from now...It would take him some time to get his timing down and be ready. It might still be worth doing if he'd really sign for the minimum, but he probably wouldn't contribute anything until late August.

Sexson, at least, is in baseball shape (though his numbers wouldn't exactly show it), and he can get put right on the big club. So we can see right away whether he would pay off this year against those lefty pitchers that have caused us so many fits already this year. If he doesn't deliver, the Yanks just release him and no major harm done. It's worth doing. Posada can still squat behind the plate, and Moeller didn't work any magic for Rasner yesterday.

Seeing Cabrera in the on deck circle prior to BJ Ryan inducing the game ending GIDP from Cano made me want to We need a RH pinch hitter with some pop, and we need Cash to plug that hole prior to the end of the ASB - Sexson or otherwise.

NYYF HOF

How many DHs can one team have?

That's unless you're interested in seeing a Matsui, Damon, and Abreu outfield. (Bonds could play LF occasionally to make it the worst OF of all-time.)
    For the love of GOD, please stop talking Hank.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmykey2
    How many DHs can one team have?

That's unless you're interested in seeing a Matsui, Damon, and Abreu outfield. (Bonds could play LF occasionally to make it the worst OF of all-time.)
    As much as I hate the idea of Sexson or Bonds on this team it does have to be said that Sexson is not a DH and would actually probably be an upgrade defensively over Giambi at 1B as good as Jason has been there this year.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by R.V.47
    As much as I hate the idea of Sexson or Bonds on this team it does have to be said that Sexson is not a DH and would actually probably be an upgrade defensively over Giambi at 1B as good as Jason has been there this year.
    The comment was meant solely in reference to Bonds.
    For the love of GOD, please stop talking Hank.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TheBamTino24

Is it flukey?

Same split:
    That's all I need to see. Pass.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigjf
    The big thing about Bonds, aside from the media circus and all, is that we don't know what kind of shape he is in right now. I doubt we could sign Bonds tomorrow and have him produce anything for the big club in a week from now...It would take him some time to get his timing down and be ready. It might still be worth doing if he'd really sign for the minimum, but he probably wouldn't contribute anything until late August.

Sexson, at least, is in baseball shape (though his numbers wouldn't exactly show it), and he can get put right on the big club. So we can see right away whether he would pay off this year against those lefty pitchers that have caused us so many fits already this year. If he doesn't deliver, the Yanks just release him and no major harm done. It's worth doing. Posada can still squat behind the plate, and Moeller didn't work any magic for Rasner yesterday.
    This is such a silly myth.....its almost like people think the man has been sitting on his couch swilling beer and eating cheetos non stop.....

His agent already said it would take him 7-10 days to be ready.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

Thread Information