+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

Question about the Yankee hitting tonight

And no, it's not "Why was there so little of it?" Though I'd really like the answer to that one.

This is more of a historical-statistical thing. We are always hearing some weird stat during the games like, "That was the first time a left-handed right fielder has gotten two doubles in two-thirds of an inning off a three-fingered relief pitcher since 1933" or whatever. I have no way of knowing whether what happened tonight was at all unusual, but maybe someone else does.

The Yankees got exactly four hits against the Rangers tonight: One home run (Rodriguez), one double (Posada), one single (Molina), and one triple (Giambi, mirabile dictu). In other words, four different hitters combined on a cycle, in a game in which the team got no other hits.

Does that happen often?

Re: Question about the Yankee hitting tonight

I would bet no...and great observation

'Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho's.'

NYYF Legend

Maybe I should up the ante by adding that they also scored the minimum number of runs it's possible to score while achieving such a feat, namely one.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz
    Maybe I should up the ante by adding that they also scored the minimum number of runs it's possible to score while achieving such a feat, namely one.
    You would of thought in most games the triple would of scored on a out or even one of the few hits...

I'd love to see the stats on this...

Hey -Tz, you should ask someone about the team cycle issue. Maybe if you sent an email to YES etc...

NYYF Legend

Well, the Times today answered my question, at least as it applies to the Yankees.

RARE GAME FOR YANKEES Two statistical rarities from Monday’s loss to Texas, courtesy of the Elias Sports Bureau: Jason Giambi’s triple was his first in 2,390 at-bats. It was the longest drought in Yankees history, breaking a streak held by Jorge Posada from 2002 to 2006. The Yankees also had four hits on Monday: a single, a double, a triple and a homer. The last time they did that (only four hits, one of each kind) was Sept. 9, 1951, in a 2-0 victory over Washington.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/02/sp...ll/02pins.html

I'd still like to know when the last time was that they had a game like that, and scored exactly ONE run.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz
    Well, the Times today answered my question, at least as it applies to the Yankees.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/02/sp...ll/02pins.html

I'd still like to know when the last time was that they had a game like that, and scored exactly ONE run.
    Thanks -tz That is a cool stat

Thread Information