+ Reply to Thread
    Ace of the Staff JeterRodriguezSheff's Avatar

Does anybody else wish we would unload some weight at deadline(regardless of record)?

The way I see it, chances are this team will make the playoffs as it is. It is a year of relative parity and this team should finish higher than Tampa. Compared to last year this is a gift from the almighty himself. That being said I dont really see much potential for when we get there. This team is terrible with RISP, and it has been a trend for the past 4 years. The bottom of the lineup is a black hole. The pitching staff is in shambles and I am not betting on Mussina keeping up his current performance. Wang isnt going to be Wang right from the get go it will take time for him to get in his groove. Who knows what Hughes will do? and Joba and Pettitte cant do it all by themselves. The middle relief is lackluster at best. This team simply has too many holes to fill at the deadline. What we do have are some players who have no real purpose for the future, but could be useful for a team looking for some pieces to compete. A Jason Giambi is one example. Hideki Matsui is another. These players are having relatively good years with Matsui batting .323/.404/.458 and Giambi with a .975 ops. They could imo bring us back some nice young positional players going forward if we are willing to eat some salary.

That being said there are a lot of good pitchers set to hit Free Agency so we could sign some, and be right back in it next year and going forward imo. This isnt a panic thread, we can most likely make the playoffs as is, but the result will be the same as it has been the past 4 years as this is nearly the same team just older and streakier. I think we can be a serious competitor to go deep in the playoffs as soon as next season if we play our cards right at the deadline and sign some talent on free agency.

What do you guys think?

Re: Does anybody else wish we would unload some weight at deadline(regardless of record)?

None of our older veterans have any value besides Matsui because of the money they're making, and even Matsui has a no-trade clause and a lot of $$$ on the contract. If we move any of these guys it will be as a salary dump for anyone except Hideki who will get us B prospects at best.

Re: Does anybody else wish we would unload some weight at deadline(regardless of record)?

I think you're reacting to a loss in which the Yankees scored 5 runs without Matsui/Damon in the lineup and the pitcher batting. Trading Matsui/Giambi isn't going to help unless you're getting Ryan Braun and Prince Fielder back.

The Sausage King of Chicago Abe Frohman's Avatar

Tonight was a really crappy loss but no need to jump off the Whitestone just yet. I

sure am glad though that most of us are on the same page: Until this organization

puts together a legitimate pitching staff from top to bottom, It doesnt matter what

offense you put out there. The reason why we cant string crazy win streaks together

like a 10 or more in a row type run is cause we dont have the pitching to do so. This

offense can carry the team for sure, but when the offense slips up just a bit, it makes

this team look old, tired, and hopeless. I think this is why they press in the playoffs

too: we're always playing from behind, trying to catch up against pitchers that are

way better than anything we put out there.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Abe Frohman
    Tonight was a really crappy loss but no need to jump off the Whitestone just yet. I

sure am glad though that most of us are on the same page: Until this organization

puts together a legitimate pitching staff from top to bottom, It doesnt matter what

offense you put out there. The reason why we cant string crazy win streaks together

like a 10 or more in a row type run is cause we dont have the pitching to do so. This

offense can carry the team for sure, but when the offense slips up just a bit, it makes

this team look old, tired, and hopeless. I think this is why they press in the playoffs

too: we're always playing from behind, trying to catch up against pitchers that are

way better than anything we put out there.
    I certainly agree with the idea that pitching is key. I think we all need to let Hughes and Kennedy get healthy and see how a pitching staff of Wang, Kennedy, Hughes, Joba and ??? looks. If the brass and Cash are correct then we would have a hell of a young staff of pitchers to go along with a great offense.

How can you call an offense that is sixth in the AL in runs scored a great offense. This is a great offense based on the player's previous performances, not current.

Cano, Melky, Jeter, and Abreu are having the worst OPS+ years of their careers. The thing is Jeter and Abreu are on the decline. Jeter has not looked like a 300 hitter and Abreu will never again be a 400 OBP and 30 HR player, we should of known that when we signed him. Thing is there is always some player in this lineup hitting great so it takes the attention off the guys who are not producing. Look at the payrolls of the teams that are ahead of us in runs scored. Are you kidding me.

If this team makes the playoffs they should not trade anything away. Once you make the playoffs it's almost a crap shoot as to who wins, at least the first series is that way.

Jeter said that the team who wins is the team that gets hot at the right time. We aren't getting any good prospects from Matsui or Giambi cause they are old, injury prone, and make too much money. We'll have to eat probably the whole salary, buy out Giambi after his year is up, and pay Matsui most of his salary next year just to get more bums in the minors.

If you aren't getting A level prospects or guys with tons of upside they are worthless. Winning the AAA crown every year is not the goal of this team nor is putting quality players on the field, the goal is to get great players on the field, and Melky isn't one(please please please please get rid of this guy he is a total hack).

215 miles east of the greatest stadium in the world

Quote Originally Posted by KeithF40
    How can you call an offense that is sixth in the AL in runs scored a great offense. This is a great offense based on the player's previous performances, not current.

Cano, Melky, Jeter, and Abreu are having the worst OPS+ years of their careers. The thing is Jeter and Abreu are on the decline. Jeter has not looked like a 300 hitter and Abreu will never again be a 400 OBP and 30 HR player, we should of known that when we signed him. Thing is there is always some player in this lineup hitting great so it takes the attention off the guys who are not producing. Look at the payrolls of the teams that are ahead of us in runs scored. Are you kidding me.

If this team makes the playoffs they should not trade anything away. Once you make the playoffs it's almost a crap shoot as to who wins, at least the first series is that way.

Jeter said that the team who wins is the team that gets hot at the right time. We aren't getting any good prospects from Matsui or Giambi cause they are old, injury prone, and make too much money. We'll have to eat probably the whole salary, buy out Giambi after his year is up, and pay Matsui most of his salary next year just to get more bums in the minors.

If you aren't getting A level prospects or guys with tons of upside they are worthless. Winning the AAA crown every year is not the goal of this team nor is putting quality players on the field, the goal is to get great players on the field, and Melky isn't one(please please please please get rid of this guy he is a total hack).
    I agree.. and also, Matsui, Damon and Giambi all have no trade clauses. Narrowing down a short list to an even shorter one.

Trading big names at the deadline would mean that we are giving up on a season.
    Giving up on a season is something that they organization will never do....and thank God.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

NYYF HOF

I wouldn't mind them dumping old, overpaid players but who wants them? A contending team doesn't need an old, injury prone position player and why would they trade away any talent to get one?
    Beware the Bobcat!!!

We need some quality pitchers instead of depending on minor league/journeymen patchwork like we've been doing for the past few years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abe Frohman
    Tonight was a really crappy loss but no need to jump off the Whitestone just yet. I sure am glad though that most of us are on the same page: Until this organization puts together a legitimate pitching staff from top to bottom, It doesnt matter what offense you put out there. The reason why we cant string crazy win streaks together like a 10 or more in a row type run is cause we dont have the pitching to do so. This offense can carry the team for sure, but when the offense slips up just a bit, it makes this team look old, tired, and hopeless. I think this is why they press in the playoffs too: we're always playing from behind, trying to catch up against pitchers that are way better than anything we put out there.
    This pretty much sums up all of the complaining on this board. We gave up 13 runs last night. You don't deserve to win games like that, even if the 1927 Yankees suddenly come running out of the dugout.

I mean some of the complaints about our offense are legitimate. Cano, Jeter, Abreu, and Melky are all black holes in this lineup. Jeter is unforuntately not going anywhere, no one is gonna want a $16 million Bobby Abreu who's playing like a shell of himself, it's way too early to give up on Cano, and Melky isn't gonna give you that much in the trade market anyway. What can you do?

I agree with this post to certain extent, I wouldnt trade every veteran on the team but I would dump a few players....I would try to trade Bobby Abreu, lets look at it this way with Abreu...He is hitting .270 this year and outside of a great second half last year most scouts thought he was lost out there and potentially finished, hes a Free Agent at the end of the year and will want a deal similiar to Damons and Matsui (4 years 52 Million) Trust me, he wont be back in pinstripes next season, no matter what. The Yanks have players like Damon and Matsui still under contract and guys like Gardner, A-Jax and Tabata waiting to make an impact. Gardner hopefully this year, A-Jax and Tabata prolly sometime in 2009. Why not trade Abreu to an NL contender that needs a Left handed bat in the middle of a lineup. Even if they dont sign him he will give them a 1st round pick so that would add to Yanks selling point. Why not deal him to a team like the Diamondbacks for maybe some bullpen help and a prospect. Maybe if he pitches better they could deal Farnsworth as well for a couple of B level prospects to a team that needs a Middle Reliever.

Re: Does anybody else wish we would unload some weight at deadline(regardless of reco

Quote Originally Posted by cupcollector99
    I wouldn't mind them dumping old, overpaid players but who wants them? A contending team doesn't need an old, injury prone position player and why would they trade away any talent to get one?
    You are telling me that there is no team out there looking for 975 ops players? Or Matsui who is batting over .300(yes average matters to many GMS) The no trade clause will be trickier to deal with but its worth asking them to waive it.

Released Outright JavyVazquezIsSick's Avatar

Yes...

Who do we consider dead weight though besides Hawkins of course? A lot of these aging veterans that were supposed to be terrible this year are actually putting in very good seasons.
    If you listen to the fans you’ll be sitting with them soon enough.- Brian Cashman

NYYF Legend

I do think that there are players that we could move for some nice return. (Damon, for one) I would do it, as I don't believe that we have the pitching to go anywhere. The problem is that as soon as you show that you are re-loading, many will not come out to the games, etc. That said, I think that they will sell out next year simply from everyone wanting to see the new stadium.

It is a tough call....

Re: Does anybody else wish we would unload some weight at deadline(regardless of reco

Quote Originally Posted by R.V.47
    Who do we consider dead weight though besides Hawkins of course? A lot of these aging veterans that were supposed to be terrible this year are actually putting in very good seasons.
    Well basically we will be sacraficing this season which puts a lot of people the wrong way. However even if we are buyers we cant possibly fill all the holes this team has without gutting the farm. Giambi wont be with us next year, Matsui could be traded. I dont know if they will waive their no trade.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by R.V.47
    You're right. Of the youngsters who were being counted on to contribute, only Joba has really met expectations. Melky is below expectations while Cano, Hughes, and Kennedy (the last two prior to their injuries) are WAY below expectations.

I wouldn't give up on the season, but I'd look to improve the team for now or the future by dealing some of our players mainly Melky and possibly Abreu.

Melky is close to losing his starting spot. Now is the time to trade him. Take the risk that Gardner is better than him. He can't be much worse. That'll also open up a spot for Jackson in AAA who might be ready for a promotion sometime soon.

Abreu is likely gone in the offseason IMO. If we can get something worth more than the two picks possibly a young RF I'd look into dealing him. Although I doubt this happens.

Matsui, Damon, and Giambi are all performing we won't trade them because we're not going to get enough for them to give up on the season.

Personally I'd prefer to make a move that is good for the now and the future. I still really like the idea of dealing for Bedard. He'll come at a reasonable price. IPK, Melky, (Tabata/Horne), and maybe one other prospect I think could get it done.

Waitin for 28 now... Waitinfor27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714
    I wouldn't give up on the season, but I'd look to improve the team for now or the future by dealing some of our players mainly Melky and possibly Abreu.

Melky is close to losing his starting spot. Now is the time to trade him. Take the risk that Gardner is better than him. He can't be much worse. That'll also open up a spot for Jackson in AAA who might be ready for a promotion sometime soon.
    I wouldn't trade Melky yet, although I would call up Gardner to give Melky a reason to play better. Abreu we may as well hold on to for the year, but he's gone come November.

Released Outright

Please get the TURD Abreu off the team asap please!

NYYF MVP

Yeah, get rid of Giambi, Matsui, Derek Jeter, A-Rod, and all the other guys that are producing just because their aging veterans. Can this please just stop already?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeesAce4Life
    Yeah, get rid of Giambi, Matsui, Derek Jeter, A-Rod, and all the other guys that are producing just because their aging veterans. Can this please just stop already?
    Where were these guys names mentioned altogether? It is a serious thread. I would be up for moving an older player or two if we could get a nice return of young talent.

Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27
    Where were these guys names mentioned altogether? It is a serious thread. I would be up for moving an older player or two if we could get a nice return of young talent.
    I think its worth pointing out though that in a year when youth was supposed to be front and center for the yanks, its been the vets who have kept us competitive and the youth has been terrible.
    If you listen to the fans you’ll be sitting with them soon enough.- Brian Cashman

Thread Information