+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 13 14 15 16
    Mean WOOOOOOOOOOOO By God Gene S2's Avatar

Re: 2008-09 NBA Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045
    You're a Celtics fan....this shouldnt even be a debate. You've had a rivalry with LA for decades. The Cavs have essentially been off the NBA radar their entire existence until the last 2-3 years.

I know you had a tough 7 game series w/the Cavs last year, but (correct me if Im wrong) I dont see the Cavs-Celtics as having this intense rivalry--at least not yet.
    I despise the King. I give it a few years before he overtakes Jerry West as the logo. He gets unbelievable treatment. He is hands down the best player on the planet, and yet he looks for every single call on the floor. He truly is the King.

I can only hope that he does sign with the Knicks and it takes him 2 or 3 years to build what he has now (a 60+ win team) so that the last years of Pierce-Garnett-Allen are LeBron-less.
    It is what it is but it ain't what you think
    I say we stomp him! Then we tattoo him! Then we hang him! And then we kill him!
    I say we let him go.

Quote Originally Posted by S2
    I despise the King. I give it a few years before he overtakes Jerry West as the logo. He gets unbelievable treatment. He is hands down the best player on the planet, and yet he looks for every single call on the floor. He truly is the King.

I can only hope that he does sign with the Knicks and it takes him 2 or 3 years to build what he has now (a 60+ win team) so that the last years of Pierce-Garnett-Allen are LeBron-less.
    He does...although that makes him no different then Kobe. Or MJ back in his day.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045
    He does...although that makes him no different then Kobe. Or MJ back in his day.
    Well, Kobe and MJ have 9 rings between them, and I don't think they were acting like that until they started winning. LBJ hasn't won a thing, yet. He is a great player, no doubt about it, and he'll get his rings. But the way he acts at times is a big turnoff.

That's partly why I'd probably cheer for Kobe (as much as it pains me to say it) if they were to match up in the finals.

I'm not sure how much of a chance the C's had with KG playing, so his being out isn't a total disappointment. Winning it all last year certainly helps to ease the pain.

He is hands down the best player on the planet
    Get that weak ish outta here .

Over these next 8 weeks, Kobe will prove that he is still on top of the mountain.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph

Over these next 8 weeks, Kobe will prove that he is still on top of the mountain.
    I think this year was the switch.

Last year, i still went with Kobe as best player, but since Bron has upped his shooting % and played harder defense, i think i have to give it to him.

His combination of size and speed and handling is unlike any player since Magic. He is so offensively versatile, he can drain em from outside, slash and dish, receive the pass while cutting and just dunk it in your face.

I dont think Kobe has gotten worse, i just think Lebron has upped his midrange and long range game to the point that he takes the title for me.
    If you dont plan on winning, you might as well just go home -Derek Jeter

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph

Kobe is still great but LBJ has surpassed him. The only area where I can say Kobe is still drastically better would be 3 point shooting. But LBJ's overall shooting % is very good...he has become deadly in the mid-range area. He basically can get to the basket whenever he wants simply by overpowering people. He also become an excellent defensive player--he constantly defends the opposition's best player every game. He plays the free safety role as good as anyone I've seen since Pippen.

I think Kobe is almost at the MJ 1996-1998 point of his career. That might sound weird to say cuz he's only 30...but we gotta remember he came into the league at 18. MJ's 13th full season was at the age of 35. This is Kobe's 13th full season. This is a time we start to see alot of guys slow down--we are seeing it with KG and we're seeing it with Duncan too. He has alot of miles on his odometer with all the games he's played--and all the deep playoff runs he's been apart of. All the miles have taken a toll...all the years, all the playoff games. He's lost a step. He doesnt have the explosiveness and quickness he once did. We might see it in spurts but not all game long. He has to pace himself now--he cant go all out all the time like the Kobe from 3-4 years ago could. He has to pick his spots to dominate, and then defer to other guys the rest of the time.

This doesnt mean he still isnt great...he is. All it means is LeBron has passed him. I would say though that LeBron still has to show he has that big shot ability in the playoffs that MJ had and Kobe has...he's shown it alot during this regular season. Now's the time for him to do it on a team he has to lead to a championship.

Nah, I agree with you guys. When you watch Kobe as much as, well, Laker fans have over the years. You can definitely see a slowing down of the body.

The skills are all still there though and that wont change for a long time. The difference now is that Phil used to put him on the point guard in big games. He couldnt do that now.
    I remember the days when he would guard Mike Bibby and Tony Parker...the good old days.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

Extractor

James is better than Kobe.., Kobe is in the peak of his career...., he knows that...

Thread Information