+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

News: Duncan demoted, Gonzalez recalled

Per Abraham:

The Yankees have made some moves to improve their bench in advance of the interleague series against Houston.

Shelley Duncan has been optioned to Triple-A Scranton and replaced on the roster by infielder Alberto Gonzalez.

Duncan has had only one at-bat since May 30 and clearly had fallen out of favor with Joe Girardi. Gonzalez can play several position, run and get a bunt down.
    http://yankees.lhblogs.com/

So much for my theory that they'd keep Shelley Duncan through the weekend at the NL park.
    GO YANKS
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 8, 9, 10, 15, 16, 20, 23, 32, 37, 42, 44, 46, 49, 51

Re: News: Duncan demoted, Gonzalez recalled

No Brett Gardner?

I guess that since Damon and Matsui are both hitting, he's going to have to wait ever longer...

NYYF HOF

well at least this is a start of something
    [B][COLOR=Navy]
    [/COLOR][/B]

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by a yankeesfan
    No Brett Gardner?

I guess that since Damon and Matsui are both hitting, he's going to have to wait ever longer...
    I'm looking at your point and thinking maybe now Cano can be sat down. Gonzalez can play 2B.

Either way, this team needs a PR more than a power hitting PH especially considering how Damon and Giambi have hit.
    GO YANKS

NYYF Legend

Good move I guess, albiet one that probably won't have much impact either way. Hopefully a 'pen move is soon to follow.

Released Outright CallOfTheCrow's Avatar

I like it.

Released Outright CallOfTheCrow's Avatar

Now DFA Hawkins or demote Ohlendorf & call up Robertson.

As much as I like Shelley this move had to happen.

Now if Hawkins gets DFA'ed I'll be very content with the roster.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by YanksFan1992

Ditto. Not as surprised about Gardner at this point with Matsui and Damon raking.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YanksFan1992

The Hawkins stuff is funny. Like somehow Cashman thought he could expect different than what we've seen from a 35 year old relief pitcher who has been on 5 teams in 4 years. He's taking up the innings of someone who could be developing.

That said, I hope he turns it around, LOL!
    GO YANKS

Quote Originally Posted by TheBamTino24
    The Hawkins stuff is funny. Like somehow Cashman thought he could expect different than what we've seen from a 35 year old relief pitcher who has been on 5 teams in 4 years. He's taking up the innings of someone who could be developing.

In Cash's defense, Hawk was very good at the end of last year and the arms in the minors weren't ready or are unknown quantities. He was like a cheap security blanket. I'd be very surprised in they aren't working on a trade to get rid of him now- supposedly Colorado has interest
    MICRO PASSIVE/MICRO AGRESSIVE

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by TheBamTino24

i hated the signing from day one, but in his defense I see what he tried to do. he didn't want to give vizcaino multiple years, and wanted to have some insurance from a veteran guy coming off a good year. it's clear it didn't work and he should just cut his losses, but apparently he's trying to shop him to try and get something back. sure, they will pick up the majority of his salary but if that gets them a piece back, it's worth it.
    [B][COLOR=Navy]
    [/COLOR][/B]

Hawkins has a smidgen of trade value if the Yanks eat a lot of the contract...so no use DFA'ing him. Rather shop him for a marginal prospect for now and DFA if you need to down the road.

Released Outright JavyVazquezIsSick's Avatar

Gonzalez is atrocious offensively, we need to do better then him.

NYYF Legend

I hope Joe sits Cano this weekend and lets him think about the way he can somehow get out of this hitting funk!!

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by JavyVazquezIsSick
    Does the bench not need a good defensive player?

i'd think that a lineup with hitters like Damon, Jeter, Abreu, Arod, Matsui, Giambi... isn't lacking when it comes to offense...

duncan was a nothing for the team, gonzalez can play all of the infield positions exceptionally well, and can actually pinch run.

gardner will be up eventually, but it's good that right now he's getting consistent playing time for now.
    [B][COLOR=Navy]
    [/COLOR][/B]

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

I'm surprised he hasn't been more gung ho about demoting pitchers. It's worked pretty darned well for us this between Ransner and Giese.
    Really, what do you have to lose by demoting Hawkins? I'll keep Farnsworth over Hawkins. Neither are shining gems, but at least Farnsworth makes you hold your breath. I just turn off the game when Hawkins comes in.

Devoted Member

At this point, so is Cano. At least Gonzalez could bunt....

Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one
    I hope Joe sits Cano this weekend and lets him think about the way he can somehow get out of this hitting funk!!
    Have him stand on the box under orders not to swing and let Kennedy pitch to him With Kennedy's difficulty in finding the strikezone, this might be mutually beneficial. Kennedy learns he has to throw strikes because batters won't swing at balls and Cano learns he doesn't need to swing at every pitch

NYYF HOF

I said it before and I will say it again...

Platoon Melky & Gardner...

Rest your veterans and allow Melky/Brett to take their spots.
    This ensures the young guys get their ABs and the veterans take time off to be fresh later in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989
    Does the bench not need a good defensive player?

i'd think that a lineup with hitters like Damon, Jeter, Abreu, Arod, Matsui, Giambi... isn't lacking when it comes to offense...

duncan was a nothing for the team, gonzalez can play all of the infield positions exceptionally well, and can actually pinch run.

gardner will be up eventually, but it's good that right now he's getting consistent playing time for now.
    It's always good to have a good defensive player on the bench, its better to have a good offensive player. I don't see what Gonzalez's role on the team would be besides late defensive replacement which I don't really see happening very often. I question his ability to play a better 3rd base then A-Rod or a better 2nd base then Cano. So realistically his only use to the team would be to replace Jeter in late defensive situations, I think that makes him pretty useless.

Quote Originally Posted by gold23
    Hawkins has a smidgen of trade value if the Yanks eat a lot of the contract...so no use DFA'ing him. Rather shop him for a marginal prospect for now and DFA if you need to down the road.
    This is pointless, what you receive in return for Hawkins is never going to be worth anything of value. They need to cut their losses and DFA him, he is hurting the team by taking up a roster spot and doing a crappy job in that roster spot.

My immediate thought is they want to give Jeter and Cano a day off or two and they don't have much faith in Betemit as a middle infielder.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Finally had to change avatars NYYRules#1's Avatar
    Bronx, NY (Home of the Yanks!)/Trumbull, CT

Good move - it was necessary.
    27-TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS

NYYF HOF

It's always good to have a good defensive player on the bench, its better to have a good offensive player. I don't see what Gonzalez's role on the team would be besides late defensive replacement which I don't really see happening very often. I question his ability to play a better 3rd base then A-Rod or a better 2nd base then Cano. So realistically his only use to the team would be to replace Jeter in late defensive situations, I think that makes him pretty useless.
    there's plenty of uses for a guy like gonzalez on this team... you can give cano a day off against a tough lefty and play gonzalez. Or give arod a half day off letting him DH against a lefty and playing gonzalez instead of DHing Matsui for a day. In addition to being able to PR and give girardi some flexibility when it comes to the lineup (especially when in NL parks).
    [B][COLOR=Navy]
    [/COLOR][/B]

Thread Information