View Poll Results: What's a reasonable posting fee for Yu Darvish?

Voters
366. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 50M

177 48.36%
  • 50-59M

64 17.49%
  • 60-69M

37 10.11%
  • 70-79M

36 9.84%
  • 80-89M

19 5.19%
  • 90M or more

33 9.02%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 151 of 151 FirstFirst ... 51 101 141 148 149 150 151
Results 3,751 to 3,761 of 3761
    Slow in, Fast out ThePinStripes's Avatar

Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    I'm more annoyed at the fact that Texas has now outbid the Yanks twice for a pitcher they coveted.
    Then have a lot of money with that new Fox TV contract.
    A fool and his money can throw one heck of a party!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I don't agree, I think the signing of Kuroda wouldn't have happened instead.

When will all you Monday morning QB's ever ge it through your heads, that the Pineda trade was a good one an that Montero was more valuable to us as a trade chip. That said, who in their right mind would give up $150 million for a unproven rookie like Darvish. Hindsight is great but baseball is a business. You guys like playing fantasy baseball, because you are playing with Monolopy money. Try playing with the real stuff and see if you have the guts to go bankrupt as often as has Donald Trump. I sincerely doubt it. I just wish that for one day the people like you would get real for just one day. It would sure be a breath of fresh air.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    When will all you Monday morning QB's ever ge it through your heads, that the Pineda trade was a good one an that Montero was more valuable to us as a trade chip. That said, who in their right mind would give up $150 million for a unproven rookie like Darvish. Hindsight is great but baseball is a business. You guys like playing fantasy baseball, because you are playing with Monolopy money. Try playing with the real stuff and see if you have the guts to go bankrupt as often as has Donald Trump. I sincerely doubt it. I just wish that for one day the people like you would get real for just one day. It would sure be a breath of fresh air.

Andy
    I understand where you are coming from and mostly agree, but, at the time, just about every report about Yu said he was the real deal, not your typical Japanese pitcher, 5 different GOOD pitches, scouts all nuts about him, etc. I frankly could not believe the Yankees did'nt make a higher bid, and , yes, it's not my money, or yours either, but, man, if there ever was a sure shot in a deal like this , it was YU.
    What we can appreciate now is that the Yankees from 1996-2003 were even more extraordinary than we thought.

Quote Originally Posted by jnewmark View Post
    I understand where you are coming from and mostly agree, but, at the time, just about every report about Yu said he was the real deal, not your typical Japanese pitcher, 5 different GOOD pitches, scouts all nuts about him, etc. I frankly could not believe the Yankees did'nt make a higher bid, and , yes, it's not my money, or yours either, but, man, if there ever was a sure shot in a deal like this , it was YU.

Exactly..
    It is not like teams were blind going in. Of course nothing is ever guaranteed, but this is not the equivalent of a desperate and unwise Igawa signing after we got beat by the Sox for DiceK. We were not even competitive for what most people agreed was the best pitcher on the market. That tells me they were never interested.

Now there can only be two reasons for that: One is they did not think he was any good. Since everyone I heard from thought he was ace material even before he got off the plane in the states, I don't believe that is the reason. Or the other reason, that suddenly we cannot afford him. It has to be the second reason. And being that we absolutely CAN afford him, and just CHOOSE not to, that means we have essentially decided that because of the new CBA and the money we can save by not spending, we have forfeited our biggest advantage over other teams.

The one thing I don't like about Hal is that he seems sensitive to the payroll thing. It's like he does not want to win it all unless he can say he did it on equal payroll terms with other teams. George did not care, he had the hammer, and he knew it, and he used it. Sometimes I get the feeling with Hal that he'd rather lose with the same or similar payroll as everyone else than win with a far bigger one. Maybe that is my annoyance and frustration talking. Maybe I am reading too much into it.

All I know is that a rotation of CC, Yu, Kuroda, Nova and Pettitte a week away along with Montero in the lineup would make this team look awfully good right now. And again, that was my thought in january, not in hindsight.

For those who think we make the Pineda deal anyway even with Darvish, I don't. Pineda was their answer for a long term #2 starter. That would have been Darvish. Factor in Kuroda and they would not have needed another pitcher, certainly not one who would cost the top prospect in the organization.
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinStripes View Post
    Then have a lot of money with that new Fox TV contract.
    Yes, this is besides the point.

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    Exactly..
    It is not like teams were blind going in. Of course nothing is ever guaranteed, but this is not the equivalent of a desperate and unwise Igawa signing after we got beat by the Sox for DiceK. We were not even competitive for what most people agreed was the best pitcher on the market. That tells me they were never interested.

Now there can only be two reasons for that: One is they did not think he was any good. Since everyone I heard from thought he was ace material even before he got off the plane in the states, I don't believe that is the reason. Or the other reason, that suddenly we cannot afford him. It has to be the second reason. And being that we absolutely CAN afford him, and just CHOOSE not to, that means we have essentially decided that because of the new CBA and the money we can save by not spending, we have forfeited our biggest advantage over other teams.

The one thing I don't like about Hal is that he seems sensitive to the payroll thing. It's like he does not want to win it all unless he can say he did it on equal payroll terms with other teams. George did not care, he had the hammer, and he knew it, and he used it. Sometimes I get the feeling with Hal that he'd rather lose with the same or similar payroll as everyone else than win with a far bigger one. Maybe that is my annoyance and frustration talking. Maybe I am reading too much into it.

All I know is that a rotation of CC, Yu, Kuroda, Nova and Pettitte a week away along with Montero in the lineup would make this team look awfully good right now. And again, that was my thought in january, not in hindsight.

For those who think we make the Pineda deal anyway even with Darvish, I don't. Pineda was their answer for a long term #2 starter. That would have been Darvish. Factor in Kuroda and they would not have needed another pitcher, certainly not one who would cost the top prospect in the organization.
    It doesn't have to be black and white. How about the entirely plausible if not probable scenario where they considered the risk and reward and opted against it? In other words, they thought he could be good and that they could afford it, but that if he pitched like an absolute ace he'd just about live up to his cost. If he pitches like a middle of the rotation guy he's an enormous overpay. If he busts, you're #%^*ed.

Given the already league-leading, lux tax-exceeding status of their payroll, I'd understand that risk/reward decision even if I was hoping they'd sign him.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    It doesn't have to be black and white. How about the entirely plausible if not probable scenario where they considered the risk and reward and opted against it? In other words, they thought he could be good and that they could afford it, but that if he pitched like an absolute ace he'd just about live up to his cost. If he pitches like a middle of the rotation guy he's an enormous overpay. If he busts, you're #%^*ed.

Given the already league-leading, lux tax-exceeding status of their payroll, I'd understand that risk/reward decision even if I was hoping they'd sign him.
    Right, my preference last offseason would have been signing Darvish and still trading for Pineda. However, I understood why ownership wouldn't want to make such an expenditure in money with their current payroll situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post

Andy
    What are you talking about? I was in favor of the Pineda trade so I'm not Monday morning quarterbacking nothing. Also, I did want to sign Darvish too, but they didn't and I understand their reasoning for not doing so. So my preferance was signing Darvish over Kuroda.

I love how anyone that didn't like the trade is a Monday Morning QB. It's as if some people can't even fathom that there are people out there with a different opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    I love how anyone that didn't like the trade is a Monday Morning QB. It's as if some people can't even fathom that there are people out there with a different opinion.
    I liked the trade, but there were plenty of dissenters when the trade was announced so I wouldn't call you or several others Monday Morning QB. I don't know how any of us can forget the spirited discussions taken place on January 13th and shortly thereafter.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    I liked the trade, but there were plenty of dissenters when the trade was announced so I wouldn't call you or several others Monday Morning QB. I don't know how any of us can forget the spirited discussions taken place on January 13th and shortly thereafter.
    You are so correct - anyone that believes that this trade was viewed by Yankee fans entirely one way or the other is just delusional.

I was with you - I was not a Montero fan (even MLB lists him as a DH on the Mariners' website, not a C) because I had no belief that he would ever be anything but a DH. Noesi has not done anything else to make me re-think this trade.

Only time will tell which side was correct in this assessment - but there certainly were plenty of opinions on either side.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Thread Information