View Poll Results: What's a reasonable posting fee for Yu Darvish?

Voters
366. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 50M

    177 48.36%
  • 50-59M

    64 17.49%
  • 60-69M

    37 10.11%
  • 70-79M

    36 9.84%
  • 80-89M

    19 5.19%
  • 90M or more

    33 9.02%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 147 of 151 FirstFirst ... 47 97 137 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 ... LastLast
Results 3,651 to 3,675 of 3761
  1. #3651

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    those are big numbers, but considering that mlb teams are pretty risk averse, and the posting fee does not count against cap, it is reasonable to believe that had darvish been a MLB pitcher, he would be more expensive.


    although, the blind bid process is the most bidder unfriendly set up imaginable outside of actually putting a gun to nolan ryan's head

    of course, what the yankees chose is to spend their prospecty capital instead of cash. a pineda + FA combo is going to be cheaper than darvish
    always reasonable

  2. #3652

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    What is the point of the "what if Darvish was an MLB pitcher" hypothetical?

    We're talking about if Darvish was cheap, compared to his MLB peers. He wasn't. Some hypothetical version of him is irrelevant.

  3. #3653
    Pinpoint False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    never said they were unwilling to spend, i am just preferring them to make the darvish investment. not very complicated
    You said
    Quote Originally Posted by awy
    i am also preferring an ownership with a preference profile that is more willing to spend
    More willing than the most willing team in all of baseball? Whether I use the pretty straightforward interpretation of your initial comment, or this modified one, you're ignoring reality when you say things like you don't care about a $50MM one time outlay, which then gets followed up by 6 years at $10MM per.

    darvish is not only a great pitcher, he is also cheaper than most great pitchers on the FA market given the way lux tax breaks down and risk aversion by most teams
    Darvish has the potential to be a great pitcher. The odds appear to be pretty good that he will anchor that rotation for the immediate future. We'll see what happens. Yes, there are luxury tax advantages specifically for a team like the Yankees with this type of deal, but paying $52MM up front has a cost too. If the Yankees earned 5% on that ~$52MM year 1, $43MM year 2, and so forth across the 6 years that's roughly $9MM. By not having that ~$52MM factored into the AAV for lux tax purposes they'd save about $20MM over the course of the 6 years. So giving Darvish 6/$60MM + the $52MM fee versus giving a FA a 6/$112MM would save the Yankees about $11MM. That's good money, but if he isn't the goods and the Yankees want to be competitive they'd have to shovel ANOTHER huge contract on a FA pitcher anyway, and then whatever you saved here is peanuts in comparison.

    I have no idea what "risk aversion by most teams" has to do with this.

  4. #3654

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    as a % of revenue, present and expected? i don't think the yankees are the most willing to spend. they are bogged down by revenue sharing etc too.

    still, that is totally irrelevant to my point, which is simply that i wanted them to go for darvish and put more money on the field. i don't think this is all that unfair from a paying fan's perspective.

    now obviously words like 'expensive' etc are relative in this conversation. in saying they should spend more etc i am not calling them cheap and so on.

    the risk aversion by most teams bit is to say that the demand for darvish is distorted by the difficulty of translating him into the majors. not every team even have scouts on darvish in the first place, so you face less competition for his services. as a general rule this makes his eventual price lower than the theoretical, more accessible information, regular risk preferences universe darvish price.
    always reasonable

  5. #3655

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by yankee82093 View Post
    What is the point of the "what if Darvish was an MLB pitcher" hypothetical?

    We're talking about if Darvish was cheap, compared to his MLB peers. He wasn't. Some hypothetical version of him is irrelevant.
    the hypothetical mlb darvish is also a peer. this version of darvish is more expensive because of more information and less uncertainty, which teams care a lot about.

    so we are talking about relative price, whether darvish being from japan makes him cheaper or not. it is not some sort of absolute cheapness. of course he is not cheap
    always reasonable

  6. #3656
    Pinpoint False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    as a % of revenue, present and expected? i don't think the yankees are the most willing to spend. they are bogged down by revenue sharing etc too.

    still, that is totally irrelevant to my point, which is simply that i wanted them to go for darvish and put more money on the field. i don't think this is all that unfair from a paying fan's perspective.

    now obviously words like 'expensive' etc are relative in this conversation. in saying they should spend more etc i am not calling them cheap and so on.

    the risk aversion by most teams bit is to say that the demand for darvish is distorted by the difficulty of translating him into the majors. not every team even have scouts on darvish in the first place, so you face less competition for his services. as a general rule this makes his eventual price lower than the theoretical, more accessible information, regular risk preferences universe darvish price.
    Well, clearly your general rule didn't pan out here because the eventual price for Darvish makes him one of the most expensive pitchers in the game.

  7. #3657

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    i'd attribute that to rangers being very lusty after him with the posting fee.

    still, a darvish without that japan -> mlb uncertainty of translation is going to get more money, over and above a linear valuation of that risk.

    everything here is moot though because teh yankees showed that they did not seriously want to pursue darvish, probably didn't want to commit the 100m to get him.
    always reasonable

  8. #3658
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by PittsburghYankeeFan View Post
    Although the AAV for lux tax purposes is only $10M per year.

    What mystifies me is how a team that was basically bankrupt two years ago and used part of the Yankee lux tax to obtain Cliff Lee is suddenly so good and so flush with cash? It's as big a mystery to me as having George Mitchell (a Red Sox owner) run the steroid investigation, and it smells just as bad.
    Luxury tax money doesn't go to other teams.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  9. #3659

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    whoa i did not make myself clear. the main issue here with the darvish posting money is not that it is not a sizable amount, it is just one of hte last remaining areas in which the yankees can exercise their advantage without being limited by increasingly strangulating league rules. if the well reported idea tha tthey want to get under 189 by 2014 is true, then that number is already a de facto salary cap. it is a real limit on payroll space as a resource, because most probably the yankees are better off spending past that limit.

    thus in terms of effective payroll space usage, darvish's contract is definitely efficient as it is arranged.
    always reasonable

  10. #3660

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    maybe awy will someday get a job where he tells billion dollar empires how to spend their money. until then, we will hear about incessantly

  11. #3661

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    mmkay
    always reasonable

  12. #3662

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    mmkay
    nice edit

  13. #3663

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    it is relevant. i don't care about how much profit ownership interests are making. i care about the team's resources. lux tax cap is a sort of soft cap on the team's resources, while 'willingness to spend' has little sympathy from me.
    Wow, let us know when you take over the decision making of a MLB team.

    If I am reading your post correctly...you wouldn't care if the Yankees had a 300 million dollar payroll. I guess turning a profit like a well run company may or may not be something you care about. I will however assert that competitive balance will come into play eventually if payrolls don't start to calm down. What I mean is a real salary cap for starters. I agree the bar should be raised but many small market teams still can't approach a 100 million dollar payroll and the Yankees are over 200 million. I don't see MLB as a whole allowing the trend of competitive balance to continue.

    Just my opinion.

  14. #3664

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    The Steinbrenners are worth what... 2, 3 billion tops?

    With so much of that concentrated in the Yankees franchise, it's probably best they run the team for (at least some) profit to make sure we have some margin for error. The worst thing that could possibly happen to us is forcing the Steinbrenners into selling the team to some of the jokers that own the Marlins or Pirates.

    As unlikely as that sounds, as many have pointed out, all we need is a few bad years to nuke attendance. For a team that's as leveraged as the Yankees, that can have serious impact on profitability.

  15. #3665

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    okay okay
    always reasonable

  16. #3666
    Devoted Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by PinstripeDynasty View Post
    Do you really think so?

    CC Sabathia will be getting $122MM for the next 5 years. My guess is Darvish's contract plus the posting fee comes in around $112MM for 6 years.
    Just wanted to bump my own post from 12/22/11 to pat myself on the back.
    Last edited by PinstripeDynasty; 01-19-12 at 12:58 PM. Reason: typo

  17. #3667
    NYYF MVP


    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Bronx

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    YankeeRLA1968 & nnysiny

    I can only assume you are replying to every post on this forum with that exact same response if you truly believe that fans shouldn't have opinions about the functioning of the organization. I am glad that Awy and other thoughtful posters share their opinions about the organization on this forum. If you don't want to read fan opinions don't.

  18. #3668

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by K-W View Post
    YankeeRLA1968 & nnysiny

    I can only assume you are replying to every post on this forum with that exact same response if you truly believe that fans shouldn't have opinions about the functioning of the organization. I am glad that Awy and other thoughtful posters share their opinions about the organization on this forum. If you don't want to read fan opinions don't.
    i think you have it backwards. its the other poster(s) who basically do "copy and paste" on a daily basis. if i have an opinion on something, i will say, maybe more than once, but not hundreds (literally) of times

  19. #3669
    NYYF Legend

    Snatch Catch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CA

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    The counter argument that mitigates the Luxury Tax implications of the posting fee point is that the whole lump sum is due upfront. The $10,000,000 due in year 6 of the actual contract does not have the same value as the $10,000,000 he makes in year 1.
    Mo' Nut: One Smoove Brotha.

    Jaret Wright's 2005 Cy Young Season: 20-3, 3.04 ERA

  20. #3670
    Pinpoint False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Catch View Post
    The counter argument that mitigates the Luxury Tax implications of the posting fee point is that the whole lump sum is due upfront. The $10,000,000 due in year 6 of the actual contract does not have the same value as the $10,000,000 he makes in year 1.
    Correct. I tried to make a similar point here.

    http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread...=1#post7430721

    The luxury tax implications in a situation like this are by no means trivial, but really they can't sign these guys at these prices simply because it saves a few million on lux tax. They sign them because the risk/reward makes sense, and if they save those dollars to boot then it's a win/win.

  21. #3671
    NYYF Legend

    2JAY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Lexington Ky

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    A very impressive performance by Darvish tonight as the Yankees took many an awkward swing off of him. It's too bad that the Yankees were not more intent on signing him because he would have really been a strong addition.

  22. #3672
    NYYF Legend

    kan_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Sigh....

  23. #3673
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Stony Brook, NY

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    A very impressive performance by Darvish tonight as the Yankees took many an awkward swing off of him. It's too bad that the Yankees were not more intent on signing him because he would have really been a strong addition.
    Let me preface this post by saying that it is not a "I told you so" rant.

    It's still early but Darvish has looked impressive this season. We will find out if he can handle the wear and tear of a 162-game season.

  24. #3674

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    A very impressive performance by Darvish tonight as the Yankees took many an awkward swing off of him. It's too bad that the Yankees were not more intent on signing him because he would have really been a strong addition.
    As a friend of mine texted during the game:

    "If George were still alive we'd have Yu, Cespedes in LF and Montero hitting lasers to the right field seats."

    Ugh.

  25. #3675

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Yu looked phenomenal tonight. It's early, but he looks like the real deal. He should have been in pinstripes.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts