View Poll Results: What's a reasonable posting fee for Yu Darvish?

Voters
366. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 50M

177 48.36%
  • 50-59M

64 17.49%
  • 60-69M

37 10.11%
  • 70-79M

36 9.84%
  • 80-89M

19 5.19%
  • 90M or more

33 9.02%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 99 of 151 FirstFirst ... 49 89 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 109 149 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,475 of 3761
    Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

Hi gang. Ridiculous at work...any new news?
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Hi gang. Ridiculous at work...any new news?
    Yes, the Blue Jays have apparently won the 2012 World series, stopped world hunger, and discovered unlimited nuclear fission

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Yanksfanintoronto View Post
    Good point. Also, believe me when I say this....the Toronto Blue Jays might have a good following in the city of Toronto and parts of Vancouver, it is definitely not popular all over Canada simply because Hockey trumps all here. So it is important to keep in mind the Japanese population here in Toronto instead of Canada as a whole.

That being said, having lived here for 10 years, the chinese population far out numbers the Japanese one. And the Chinese community here is definitely not into baseball. Yu Darvish would pitch once in 5 days.

People on here have it all wrong. The Jays attendance issues have nothing to do with winning/losing. Their attendance has been declining even after all the 'winning' recently. The city of Toronto has had a huge influx of immigrants in the last 10-15 years which has resulted in a lot of the older city folk and die hard Jays fans move way away from the city radius. A lot of these folks would have to travel for an hour or 1.5 hrs to get to the Rogers Centre.

To add to this, the Jays and their ownership have done very little to endear themselves to the fanbase. Why will anyone spend money on a baseball game for a team nobody cares about when there are a million other attractions out here. There is no incentive whatsoever for the non baseball fan to come to a game.

To add to that, anyone who has been to a Jays game (Non Yankees/Sox game) knows how dead and boring the atmosphere is. The Jays have no idea on how to provide in game entertainment.

Yu Darvish coming here will add some buzz which will result in a sold out opening game and maybe a few extra thousand walk up tickets....but at the end of the day, the attendance will still be below average to average as per MLB standards due to the lack of sporting culture in this town, high price tickets, no presence in the expanded communities and just an overall boring experience.
    Great post Yanksfanintoronto !
    Glad you agree with my point .
    I remember reading somewhere that many Hong Kong entertainers were going to Canada on trips and living there due to the high Chinese population .
    I never heard anything about a high Japanese population and was wanting to know .
    Thanks for answering all my questions .

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    doesn't matter whether they like baseballor not as long as their daughters can become fangirls
    Why would Canadian-born asians go nuts over a Japanese teen idol? I don't think Yu is the second coming of Justin Bieber.

idk. i am not able to access their logic
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045 View Post
    I guess what I'm wondering....is if they arent spending money because they simply dont want Wilson and Darvish...or because they dont want to spend money and are eyeing the 189M number.

If Hamels were on the market right now, or if Cain were on the market now....would we be going after them? If we had a hole at 1B, would we have went after Pujols or be going after Prince? I have my doubts because I think the focus now is on getting under 189.
    If they valued them high enough sure they would.

NYYF Legend

Masahiro Tanaka, 24-0 in 2013. He's the Japanese Jack Bauer.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Yes, the Blue Jays have apparently won the 2012 World series, stopped world hunger, and discovered unlimited nuclear fission

Holy moly!
    That is the second time in a year that all has happened at once, it was the Red Sox a year ago!
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    Holy moly!
    That is the second time in a year that all has happened at once, it was the Red Sox a year ago!
    Are you saying that Yu will underperform in his first year just like Crawford? Of course the beerfest in Toronto's clubhouse would have to be Labatt Blue.

Quote Originally Posted by bcom33 View Post
    There goes my prediction......Doh!

Devoted Member

This thread is very similar to Santana, Dice-K, Cliff Lee, Aroldis Chapman and even Michael Inoa/Ynoa threads. We will regret this for years, we are doomed, Yankees will be fourth in this division, etc. I would love to have Darvish, but it won't be the end of the world and Yankees won't fall off a cliff all of a sudden.
    Congratulations and thank you for number 27, Yankees !!!!!!!!!!!!!. 1 game at a time to 28. C'mon, Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by yarosh25 View Post
    This thread is very similar to Santana, Dice-K, Cliff Lee, Aroldis Chapman and even Michael Inoa/Ynoa threads. We will regret this for years, we are doomed, Yankees will be fourth in this division, etc. I would love to have Darvish, but it won't be the end of the world and Yankees won't fall off a cliff all of a sudden.
    Sums up my feelings exactly
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

What are they gonna do about it?

These teams don't operate in a dictatorship, unless maybe there's a top prospect on the Tehran Terrorists. Players are free to leave their country and go elsewhere. The only reason there's a posting system is because MLB agreed as a goodwill gesture to Japan
    I'm not saying that I like the posting system, but you do realize that players get posted are still "owned" by the teams, right?
    They are basically in the "arbitration years" with the team that drafted them, and saying players are free to leave their country and go elsewhere is like arguing that David Robertson should be free to sign with another team that will give him more money this off season.

Matsui was a FREE AGENT, thus by his own will decided to sign with the Yankees.
    Only reason he apologized to the fans in Japan is because he thought he was betraying the trust and legacy he's built as the face and star of the NPB by being selfish and leaving the league for the MLB (although in reality a lot of people actually embraced his choice).

Nomo used a loophole in the system back then (which has been filled since then) to retire out of NPB to leave the Kintetsu Buffaloes and come to MLB.

Recently, Tazawa pulled off another loophole by not getting drafted (he made it well known to all 12 NPB teams that he will 100% not sign with them) and signing directly with the Red Sox...which while it technically isn't against the written rules (as by not being drafted, he has no bind with a team), you better be REALLY confident that he'll be successful in MLB because if not, he's basically burning all bridges with NPB and fans.
    There's a reason a fair amount of NPB fans roots for Tazawa to struggle in the MLB...people hate him.

You can't be that stupid
    NYYFans is, above all else, a community.

Comments like this add nothing to the conversation, and contribute nothing to the community.

Consider this a warning.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Triple Crown

I hate waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by LIYanks View Post
    I hate waiting.
    its the hardest part

Yanksfanintoronto Yanksfanintoronto's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee_Samurai View Post
    Great post Yanksfanintoronto !
    Glad you agree with my point .
    I remember reading somewhere that many Hong Kong entertainers were going to Canada on trips and living there due to the high Chinese population .
    I never heard anything about a high Japanese population and was wanting to know .
    Thanks for answering all my questions .
    No Problem! Always a pleasure!
    Death, Taxes and King Eli under centre

I am pretty sure NPB makes you sign something with regards to FA rules (not unlike our MLB players) when you play for them. The posting system came about because Nomo "retired." The retirement was obviously a farce and the NPB had a good civil case if they wanted to pursue something... to the detriment of everybody involved.

Junichi Tazawa didn't have to be posted because he never played for NPB and the Red Sox just picked him up as an IFA.

For NPB's part, they told Tazawa that he'll never play in NPB even if he flops in the US. (In actuality they made new rules making it extremely onerous to return)

Yu is heading to the CUBS - you heard it here first!

(not that I care - still got the Igawa fiasco on the back burner)!

Asian import players - only good on the position players. Pitchers, not so great. With a minor exception to Nomo and that's it!
    It's never about what you know, it's who you know ..... and who's willing to help you to get where you want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesfanatic View Post
    Asian import players - only good on the position players. Pitchers, not so great. With a minor exception to Nomo and that's it!
    Starters, agreed. Relievers, there's been a fair number of useful pitchers.

Released Outright

Yeah because Hiroki Kuroda sucks so much.

NYYF Triple Crown

Would you share your insights with the rest of the board?

Quote Originally Posted by H.Kokubo View Post
    Starters, agreed. Relievers, there's been a fair number of useful pitchers.
    yup, which makes me think the longer rest leads to increased injury risk and lower velocity when they come to the US

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by d32123 View Post
    Yeah because Hiroki Kuroda sucks so much.
    If I was Darvish he'd be the first person I'd want to speak to
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    You didn't see the Cliff Lee saga last year? That gave pretty clear indications that they'll at least try to spend another 100+ million on one player.
    Couple pages late for a response from me, so if this was covered, I apologize.

Cliff Lee is different. When absolute elite talent is available and the Yankees have a need, they will break the bank. I just don't see them going the Wilson/Burnett/Lackey type routes when they have Nova types. I don't feel that Cashman's believes the 15M or so difference in salary is worth the potential talent disparity.
    Team Northern Lights

Thread Information