View Poll Results: What's a reasonable posting fee for Yu Darvish?

Voters
366. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 50M

177 48.36%
  • 50-59M

64 17.49%
  • 60-69M

37 10.11%
  • 70-79M

36 9.84%
  • 80-89M

19 5.19%
  • 90M or more

33 9.02%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 151 FirstFirst ... 39 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 59 99 149 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 3761

Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Ordinarily I would say that AJ would have to improve next year, based solely on regression to the mean; it's really not easy to be that bad two years in a row. Unfortunately, AJ's already been that bad two years in a row, so apparently he's quite capable of it.
    My hope is that AJ has somewhat of a bounce back year and the Yankees dump as much of his final year salary as possible in the offseason. Trading his remaining two years seems like a pipe dream, but if the team can save some money for next year's FA class I'd be all for that.

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    My hope is that AJ has somewhat of a bounce back year and the Yankees dump as much of his final year salary as possible in the offseason. Trading his remaining two years seems like a pipe dream, but if the team can save some money for next year's FA class I'd be all for that.
    I'm with you!

has anyone read anything about darvish that says he will not be a good pitcher because i haven't. everything i read about him says he will be good or an ace. scouts seem to really like him

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by anubis7010 View Post
    has anyone read anything about darvish that says he will not be a good pitcher because i haven't. everything i read about him says he will be good or an ace. scouts seem to really like him
    Well then you aren't reading enough. And in addition, how many pitchers have they said that about that would up being a bust?

The Sausage King of Chicago Abe Frohman's Avatar

Ugh ... i wish he'd atleast hint at his desire of being posted this year.

I just want to hear something ... anything.

!!! Come on ダルビッシュ 有 !!!
    Last edited by Abe Frohman; 11-06-11 at 08:37 PM.
    ? Can switching to Geico really save you 15 % or more on car insurance ? ? Does the postman always ring twice ?

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeeah View Post
    Well then you aren't reading enough. And in addition, how many pitchers have they said that about that would up being a bust?
    tell me where u read he would not be a good pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by anubis7010 View Post
    tell me where u read he would not be a good pitcher.
    Read this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Black Sabbathia View Post
    Read this thread
    I'm talking about scouts that have seen him not fans on a message board

Re AJ Burnett:
    If you dig deeper into his season, he had a legendarily bad August. If we pull August out of the equation and prorate those non_August numbers for a full year, I think we'd wind up being relatively satisfied with that in 2012.

Re Yu Darvish:
    I have not see anyone within baseball inner circles express doubts about Darvish's talent. But several red flags are there which are pointed out:
    -Change in culture
    -Baseball smaller with higher seams in Japan, easier to throw breaking pitches because their ball is easier to spin due to the raised seems
    -Different work schedule, pitching less (only once a week rather than the typical 5 man rotation here in states)
    -Team handles all work for you, very regimented there in Japan, less so here, more chances for player to trip himself up
    -Different mound in Japan, height is different than states and landing spot is softer

Again, that is not to say that he'll be awful if/when he comes. But there are enough changes that he'll endure to make it a question mark.
    Now what he has going for him, unlike others from Japan, is that he is not pure Japanese. He is half Iranian, and his parents met in the US. So he is likely more suited to the cultural transition than others have been. Also, his personality seems to be a lot like Matsui's was. He embraces the spotlight, and has fun with it. That attitude for Hideki helped birth a very successful and clutch career in MLB.

In short I'd roll the dice, simply because we do need pitching, Yu has high end potential, he's intriguing, and it is only money. At the very least, you have to think of him as being equivalent to the top rated pitching prospect in all of baseball. There are no guarantees, but if you could get a hold of that guy for just money, it might be worth doing so.. Think of being able to get a hold of Stephen Strasburg for just money a couple years ago. Just my opinion though.
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714 View Post
    To me, I'd think the Yankees would want to have AJ during his walk year. It seems that's when he has a good season...

“Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76 View Post
    Re AJ Burnett:
    If you dig deeper into his season, he had a legendarily bad August. If we pull August out of the equation and prorate those non_August numbers for a full year, I think we'd wind up being relatively satisfied with that in 2012.
    He always seems to have a month or two like that and its often August. With an inconsistent pitcher like AJ you can't cherry pick around the bad spots because its that inconsistency that makes him a sub-par unreliable pitcher. The past two years with declining stuff he's become a much more hittable pitcher with H/9 and HR/9 going up. Unlike other veteran pitchers he doesn't have the command or repertoire to adjust his style as he ages.

And even if you take AJ's worst month out, you've still got all those games where he looks good for 4-5 innings and then falls apart, or has a really strong 7 inning start followed by a clunker, all balancing out to "average". The aggregate numbers may look acceptable, but the actual performances tell a different story.

On Darvish, I've reached the conclusion that we need to make an obscene bid that blows everybody else out of the water. $62 million. It's only money

NYYF Cy Young

NYYF Legend

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

If they plan to post him, I think they'd be dumb not to do it this year. The FA market is weak, and they'd likely be able to maximize the posting fee they'd receive. In the next couple years, it's likely some top-tier starters will be available, and there will be much less risk associated with those guys. If you aren't paying the luxury tax (which most teams aren't), it will make more sense to chase those guys than to pay nine figures to hope that Darvish makes a smooth adjustment.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    If they plan to post him, I think they'd be dumb not to do it this year. The FA market is weak, and they'd likely be able to maximize the posting fee they'd receive. In the next couple years, it's likely some top-tier starters will be available, and there will be much less risk associated with those guys. If you aren't paying the luxury tax (which most teams aren't), it will make more sense to chase those guys than to pay nine figures to hope that Darvish makes a smooth adjustment.
    Great point.

NYYF Legend

Joelsherman1 Joel Sherman

H.Steinbrenner said failure with Igawa would not bias him if baseball ops wants to bid on Darvish. Still think #Yankees cautious bidders

NYYF Legend

Lengthy but interesting article on Yahoo Sports about Darvish and the posting system:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...g_japan_111511

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    Lengthy but interesting article on Yahoo Sports about Darvish and the posting system:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...g_japan_111511
    Good article. Makes you wonder what he is going to do.
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

“He’s coming,” said one general manager whose team has scouted Darvish for years and plans to place a bid if he posts. “The money is too good. He makes [$7 million] there. He’ll be guaranteed $50 or $60 million here.”
    This is all you need to know that he's coming.

I want Yu to want me.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    I want Yu to want me.

NYYF Legend

Pulled from RAB. Eye <3 ewe.

NYYF Legend

Yu suck.

Having Yu and Jesus on the team next year would be an incredibly generous gift to the Post headline writers

Thread Information