View Poll Results: What's a reasonable posting fee for Yu Darvish?

Voters
366. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 50M

177 48.36%
  • 50-59M

64 17.49%
  • 60-69M

37 10.11%
  • 70-79M

36 9.84%
  • 80-89M

19 5.19%
  • 90M or more

33 9.02%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 151 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 54 104 ... LastLast
    NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

Quote Originally Posted by Casius
    Someone hasn't done their research...

.262 BABIP for Wang
    .236 BABIP for Matsuzaka

That said, BABIP is really misused. It can indicate some things, but it shouldn't really be used as a reliable correlative tool for "luck" as many call it.

Anybody who thinks Matsuzaka is a fraction of what his ERA says this year is delusional. The guy doesn't just have a mediocre BB rate, not a bad one, but a horrific one. GB rate is pretty awful too. Even his strikeout rate, while decent, isn't anything special.
    This makes Dice-K sound almost like he's a bum. His strikeout rate of 8.58 in the majors is almost identical to what it was in Japan, which is very impressive. An despite his penchant for walks, he's giving up fewer hits so his WHIP this year is actually better than it was last year. He might not be everything you expect a 2.15 ERA pitcher to be, but "delusional"? This guy is actually a very good pitcher.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio
    This makes Dice-K sound almost like he's a bum. His strikeout rate of 8.58 in the majors is almost identical to what it was in Japan, which is very impressive. An despite his penchant for walks, he's giving up fewer hits so his WHIP this year is actually better than it was last year. He might not be everything you expect a 2.15 ERA pitcher to be, but "delusional"? This guy is actually a very good pitcher.
    Based on the formula for qERA (a quick and dirty way that BP came up to get expected ERA) his ERA should be 4.12 based on his peripherals (assuming I did the the math right which is no sure thing). qERA has been shown to be a much better indicator of future ERA than a pitchers actual ERA.

Personally I think Dice-K will pitch better than a 4.00 ERA the rest of the way but I don't really see him sustaining a sub 2.50 ERA for very long.

90 million

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Gotta admit, I watched some YouTube on the kid, and looked up his numbers. His '07 was otherworldly. I'm skeptical of the expectations that come with these hyped Asian players, but this kid may well be worth every nickel they invest in him.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeypuck2008
    90 million
    The posting fee will be otherworldly if he's posted, but I still say they don't post him. Japanese baseball needs him.
    Watch this space for a pithy new signature, now under construction!

Get this guy.. period!!!

The Sausage King of Chicago Abe Frohman's Avatar

This looks like just the kind of thing that only happens to us. Cashman bites the big

one on the Matsuzaka sweepstakes and in what can only be called a panic move,

goes for the 46 mil bust, AKA Kei Igawa. Now this Young Phenom comes along and

since we already have a bad after taste with Igawa, we pass on him. Some other

team goes for him hard like say, the Tampa Rays, and move on to owning us with

this newly acquired AK-47. See through all the smoke and mirrors Cash, SIGN THIS

GUY ASAP !!!

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio
    7.62 K/9

That's above-average, but not especially good, and certainly not to enough to outweigh his horrible, horrible walk rate. I'm even a bit skeptical of the strikeouts. There is such a thing of being "wildly effective". Strikeouts tend to increase when you're wild and not particularly on the merit of your pitches. That's why a lot of people go only by a K/BB ratio (though, personally I refrain from judging on any one metric).

Still dont think he's being posted

I don't want this guy. Spend the money on CC and Sheets.
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

Ace of the Staff JeterRodriguezSheff's Avatar

I say we get this guy, CC, and Sheet and Teixiera. Hell we should just sign every single free agent.

Quote Originally Posted by ppa79
    I don't want this guy. Spend the money on CC and Sheets.
    CC, Sheets, Teixiera. Lets stay away from unknown Japanese pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by dabomb2045
    CC, Sheets, Teixiera. Lets stay away from unknown Japanese pitchers.
    I agree. THere is enough premium talent this offseason to spend money on.
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

NYYF Cy Young

I want nothing to do with him. If another team signs him and he's a dominant ace, then hats off to them.

The record of Japanese pitchers has been very spotty. Don't want any part of him. Especially if it's going to be something absurd like a 75 million posting fee. Keep in mind that's up front. You want the Yankees to put 40% of their payroll into one player? Sh*t, I'm not sure if any player in baseball is worth that posting fee, nevermind an unknown from Japan.
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by webassign
    Depends when he's posted. If it was right now, I wouldn't hesitate to drop $80 million. As he gets older, I wouldn't pay as much.

One thing I will say is that Darvish is the real deal. Definitely better than Daisuke and infinitely better than the bum in my avatar. During last year's Japan Series, he pitched two complete games, only gave up one run, and had like 24 K's.
    I have read every single post and I like the way you have answered some of your critics. But when I see that Avatar of Kei Igawa, it makes me initially think, "Look at this guy with Igawa's picture up there, what the heck does he know?"

Your posts would be so much more effective if you would put ANYBODY in there instead of Igawa. The reason I say that is because of the negative feelings people get with just the sight of Igawa. Matsui would be a good choice if you like Japanese players. By the way, my bid for Darvish would be $76 million. I really don't want us to get C.C. Sabathia. If we do, then we should let Pettitte walk. Giambi too. I definitely would try to sign Mussina who has learned how to pitch without the 91 mph fastball, to a 1 year contract with an option for another year. I'd also like to see Abreu back for less money and Farnsworth too. He's doing pretty good with Girardi as the manager.
    [B]The Yankees have been blessed with great players over the years. Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle, Phil Rizzuto, Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez and now Mark Teixeira to name a few. [/B]

NYYF HOF

Reasonable? Given Dice-K's performance....50 Million. IDK if he can be "better" than Matsuzaka.

If the Yankees pay anything over 50 million for this guy...they are fools. They could have had Inoa for much less and he's a much as a lock to be a success in the majors as Darvish is.

But....I will say some crazy number like...86 million.

Ace of the Staff JeterRodriguezSheff's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hellsing
    Reasonable? Given Dice-K's performance....50 Million. IDK if he can be "better" than Matsuzaka.

If the Yankees pay anything over 50 million for this guy...they are fools. They could have had Inoa for much less and he's a much as a lock to be a success in the majors as Darvish is.

Yea because an international prospect is just as seasoned and MLB ready as a Japanese all star who stuff wise is superior to Matsuzaka.

Signing Igawa was a mistake, but everybody knew that was a mistake except for Cashman who panicked.

Let me put it this way if you hook up with somebody who you know is obviously crazy just to make your ex jealous, and it predictably fails miserably, are you just going to quit having relations with the opposite sex, even if somebody who is attractive, smart, sane, wise and available shows up?

The Sausage King of Chicago Abe Frohman's Avatar

Igawa was a big mistake - we all know that. Yu Darvish and Kei Igawa are eons apart

talent - wise. I want this guy in pinstripes, bad. whatever it takes.

Quote Originally Posted by Metroidman
    Still dont think he's being posted
    Me neither. Makes no sense of Nippon Ham.

I love how all of you immediately say no to this guy when you don't know anything about him. You guys all got burned on Igawa and suddenly you think anyone from Japan is a piece of garbage unless he proves otherwise. This doesn't necessarily come off as extreme as racism to me, but I really don't like the stereotype. This guy projects as well as Daisuke, if not even better than him. Can someone remind me how Daisuke is doing this season? 10-1? 2.65 ERA?

How's Darvish doing this season? 11-3? 1.88 ERA? 142 K's in 148 2/3 innings pitched? Only 33 walks? .199 Opposing Batting average? Just struck out ten in his 8th complete game of the season?

OH NO, HE'S JAPANESE! DO NOT WANT!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Mack
    I have read every single post and I like the way you have answered some of your critics. But when I see that Avatar of Kei Igawa, it makes me initially think, "Look at this guy with Igawa's picture up there, what the heck does he know?"

Your posts would be so much more effective if you would put ANYBODY in there instead of Igawa. The reason I say that is because of the negative feelings people get with just the sight of Igawa. Matsui would be a good choice if you like Japanese players.
    I really don't know how to make it more obvious that Kei Igawa is in my avatar as a joke. 2008 AL Cy Young? Who in their right mind would believe that? Kei Igawa's Mini Helicopter? Have you seen the youtube video? He CRASHES it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hellsing

You realize that Iona is 16 year old kid who has never pitched a professional game in his life?

Meanwhile, Darvish is 21 years old, pitches in front of 50 thousand fans every week, throws complete game shutouts in the Japan Series for 2 years in a row like they're nothing, and you think they even compare at this point?

anywhere from 75 to 100. That is damn crazy.

I think you'd be crazy not to want Darvish. The question is, do you want him with the ridiculous posting system? Because even though someone like Darvish probably will succeed in the majors, it's still not guaranteed, and you'd probably like a guarantee with that sort of money. (Not to mention in this sort of situation, the Japanese team ends up making a lot more money than the player )

I'd probably take Stephen Strasburg over both Inoa and Darvish.

I wouldn't mind having Darvish, but the hype is already ludicrous. The posting fee, whatever it will be/could be is almost certainly going to be too high.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes40
    I think you'd be crazy not to want Darvish. The question is, do you want him with the ridiculous posting system? Because even though someone like Darvish probably will succeed in the majors, it's still not guaranteed, and you'd probably like a guarantee with that sort of money. (Not to mention in this sort of situation, the Japanese team ends up making a lot more money than the player )
    If you give me a choice, Darvish or (CC, Sheets, or Tex), I think I would take those 3 guys. 75 mil can easily pay for those 3.
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Thread Information