View Poll Results: What's a reasonable posting fee for Yu Darvish?

Voters
366. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 50M

    177 48.36%
  • 50-59M

    64 17.49%
  • 60-69M

    37 10.11%
  • 70-79M

    36 9.84%
  • 80-89M

    19 5.19%
  • 90M or more

    33 9.02%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 151 FirstFirst ... 29 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 49 89 139 ... LastLast
Results 951 to 975 of 3761
  1. #951
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    The one thing that gets forgotten about in the "Weaver debacle" is that he pitched a 1-2-3 inning in the bottom of the 11th before giving up the homer in the 12th to Gonzalez....
    I did not forget that, but I was chewing my nails the whole time waiting for the hammer to drop.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  2. #952

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I did not forget that, but I was chewing my nails the whole time waiting for the hammer to drop.
    Me too. When he got through one inning, I felt like I'd just survived three rounds of Russian Roulette. Only a fool puts the gun to his head a fourth time.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  3. #953

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Me too. When he got through one inning, I felt like I'd just survived three rounds of Russian Roulette. Only a fool puts the gun to his head a fourth time.
    ROFL!

    Yes, I was also bracing myself for the inevitable to happen.

  4. #954
    The Sausage King of Chicago Abe Frohman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    YuDarvish1.jpg

    Can anyone take the liberty of throwing some Pinstripes on the kid ...
    ? Can switching to Geico really save you 15 % or more on car insurance ? ? Does the postman always ring twice ?

  5. #955

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Interesting comments from Cashman.

    The New York Yankees have scouted Japanese pitcher Yu Darvish and have not dismissed the idea of pursuing the 25-year-old if he goes through the posting process required for entry into Major League Baseball.

    Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told ESPNNewYork.com on Thursday that the team scouted Darvish during the 2011 season, in which he went 18-6 with a 1.44 ERA for the Nippon Ham Fighters.

    "We scout Japanese baseball the same way we scout the American League and the National League," Cashman said. "We had a wave of scouts there all season."

    Cashman refused to say whether the Yankees would be interested in bidding on Darvish, which is likely to cost the winning bidder upward of $100 million with the posting fee, but acknowledged, "We think he's very talented, but who knows what that means over here?"
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...ler-yu-darvish

  6. #956
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    so think Arod?
    Or just think "married baseball player." That's how it's always been, outside of a few exceptions (Andy Pettitte, I'd wager).
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  7. #957

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Or just think "married baseball player." That's how it's always been, outside of a few exceptions (Andy Pettitte, I'd wager).
    I hate to say it, but even Andy had a few rumors swirling around him about this when he left the Yankees. I remember reading that his wife wanted him to be closer to home and she wasn't just talking about more time with the kids.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  8. #958
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I hate to say it, but even Andy had a few rumors swirling around him about this when he left the Yankees. I remember reading that his wife wanted him to be closer to home and she wasn't just talking about more time with the kids.
    If Andy Pettitte messed around, I'd say that makes it everybody.

    Many years ago, I saw the ex-wives of Jim Bouton and Mike Marshall on Donahue. They had written a book on exactly this subject, and Donahue asked them if there were any baseball players who didn't screw around. They thought and thought and thought, and finally one of them said, "I believe...Tommy John."

    Which, if you remember Tommy John, was pretty funny and almost certainly true. And he probably was the only one.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  9. #959
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    If Andy Pettitte messed around, I'd say that makes it everybody.

    Many years ago, I saw the ex-wives of Jim Bouton and Mike Marshall on Donahue. They had written a book on exactly this subject, and Donahue asked them if there were any baseball players who didn't screw around. They thought and thought and thought, and finally one of them said, "I believe...Tommy John."

    Which, if you remember Tommy John, was pretty funny and almost certainly true. And he probably was the only one.
    Not even Cal Ripken?
    I'm sure it is easy for professional athleets to cheat and I'm sure a high pecentage do but it probably isn't 100%.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  10. #960
    Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Too Close to Fenway

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    If Andy Pettitte messed around, I'd say that makes it everybody.

    Many years ago, I saw the ex-wives of Jim Bouton and Mike Marshall on Donahue. They had written a book on exactly this subject, and Donahue asked them if there were any baseball players who didn't screw around. They thought and thought and thought, and finally one of them said, "I believe...Tommy John."

    Which, if you remember Tommy John, was pretty funny and almost certainly true. And he probably was the only one.

    Mo would surprise me more than AP
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

  11. #961

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    If Andy Pettitte messed around, I'd say that makes it everybody.

    Many years ago, I saw the ex-wives of Jim Bouton and Mike Marshall on Donahue. They had written a book on exactly this subject, and Donahue asked them if there were any baseball players who didn't screw around. They thought and thought and thought, and finally one of them said, "I believe...Tommy John."

    Which, if you remember Tommy John, was pretty funny and almost certainly true. And he probably was the only one.
    I think there was some rumor in deadspin a couple of weeks ago about Brian Cashman cheating. If true, then that means everybody in baseball cheats. I never would have thought that one.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  12. #962
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I think there was some rumor in deadspin a couple of weeks ago about Brian Cashman cheating. If true, then that means everybody in baseball cheats. I never would have thought that one.
    Yeah I saw that. I was going to post it at the time but it was the night of a playoff game so I said screw it.

  13. #963

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Fan in Boston View Post
    Mo would surprise me more than AP
    Mo is probably capable of making a virgin pregnant without touching her.

    But I agree, if you're looking for a faithful husband in MLB, my bet is on him.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  14. #964
    when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    gotta save bullets in the world series for the universe series that comes after
    you still plugged into girardi's meta-blog ??!!

  15. #965

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Joelsherman1 Joel Sherman



    #Yankees scouts love Darvish, but Hal Steinbrenner/Cashman unlikely to authorize big $$ to win post #thinkIgawa#Rangers#Bluejays are faves

  16. #966
    Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Jax

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    Joelsherman1 Joel Sherman



    #Yankees scouts love Darvish, but Hal Steinbrenner/Cashman unlikely to authorize big $$ to win post #thinkIgawa#Rangers#Bluejays are faves
    Smoke screen............hopefully.
    Fistpumping like a champion.

  17. #967

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    ...........terrible
    always reasonable

  18. #968
    when the going gets tough ... JSG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    #Yankees scouts love Darvish, but Hal Steinbrenner/Cashman unlikely to authorize big $$ to win post #thinkIgawa#Rangers#Bluejays are faves
    Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Smoke screen............hopefully.
    would not be surprised. even if the NYY had raging wood for darvish, it's the only thing to say.

    PS didn't the rangers just boot chuck greenberg out for his devil-may-care ardor in his pursuit of cliff lee ?? i would think they will try to re-sign wilson and call it a day. not sure i see the blue jays as big players either. LAA would not surprise me.

    pinstripes ??

  19. #969
    Better than you teknetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NJ

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    If Cash hired a bunch of scouts to scout a particular player and they cam back with glowing reviews, why wouldn't the FO sign off on it? It's pretty clear where their area of need is. I'm not buying it.

  20. #970

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Joelsherman1 Joel Sherman



    If had to list Darvish faves in order, #Yankees not in top 5: #Rangers#Bluejays#Nationals,#Mariners#Royals.




  21. #971

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Such obvious smokescreen.

  22. #972
    NYYF Triple Crown

    apalradio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Mo is probably capable of making a virgin pregnant without touching her.

    But I agree, if you're looking for a faithful husband in MLB, my bet is on him.
    If we look outside of the Yankee family, I'd say John Lackey. Too ugly. Maybe even Kevin Youkilis.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

  23. #973

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by JSG View Post
    not sure i see the blue jays as big players either
    I do. They shed a lot of salary the last few years (Wells, Rios, Marcum, Hill, Juan Rivera otth) and are only a player or two away from making serious noise in the AL East. They don't have anybody looking at big arbitration raises, and Bautista is on a reasonable contract. Rogers Communication has shown a willingness to spend money on the team in the past, going into the 80-90+ million range. With Boston vulnerable I think they decide that the time to make a push is now. Maybe it won't be Darvish, but I think they'll be major players this offseason.

    However, I tend to agree that Cashman is smokescreening and the Yankees would post a large bid

  24. #974
    NYYF Legend

    goin for 27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Connecticut

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    I worry about the Blue Jays here.

    Anthopoulos is very smart, bold, and has bags of cash to spend.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

  25. #975
    The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    On the bench

    Re: Yu Darvish- Posting fee?

    Quote Originally Posted by goin for 27 View Post
    I worry about the Blue Jays here.

    Anthopoulos is very smart, bold, and has bags of cash to spend.
    The Yankees have more. I believe Darvish will be a Yankee if Cashman and the scouts have a say.

    Worst case scenario could just be Hal telling Cash he'll have to shed salary elsewhere.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts