+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Addicted Member

Hank to Yanks - Time to Earn Your Money

I think the only scary thing about these quotes is really the "by force" comment" if they don't improve. Although, it's a little shocking to hear Hank tell his players to earn their big paychecks. Wonder how the players will take this kind of calling out.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05142008...724.htm?page=2

"The bottom line is that the team is not playing the way it is capable of playing," Steinbrenner said. "These players are being paid a lot of money and they had better decide for themselves to earn that money."

"He then paid the much-improved Rays a compliment, saying, the Yankees have "got to start playing the way the Rays are playing. (The Yankees) need to start treating it like when they were younger players and going after that big contract, like they're in (Triple-A) and trying to make the majors. That's the kind of attitude and fire the players have to have."

"This is going to get turned around," Steinbrenner said. "If it's not turned around this year, then it will be turned around next year, by force if we have too."
    Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be. - Kurt Vonnegut

Re: Hank to Yanks - Time to Earn Your Money

Not the smartest choice of words as usual for Hank but he has the right idea.
    If you listen to the fans you’ll be sitting with them soon enough.- Brian Cashman

NYYF Legend

Forest Lawn Memorial Park - Plot: Court of Freedom Block 7060 Lot 6-A

This is going to get turned around," Steinbrenner said. "If it's not turned around this year, then it will be turned around next year, by force if we have too."
    I hope it doesn't come to this, but I'd be interested to see exactly what Hank would do in this situation....
    3 4 5 7 8 10 16 37

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Perhaps what he means by "by force" is that he would be a seller at the trade deadline. If we're still languishing near the bottom of the pack by then, he might start eating salaries and dealing players. While it wouldn't be an immediate fix, it probably would help the long term plan anyway. If that's indeed the route we're going, might as well get in with both feet.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

"By force" hmmm...

Is Hank going to wrestle Chad Moeller in the clubhouse or something?
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

NYYF MVP

force as in trade you to sanfran?

Good for Hank, this team looks like crap.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

While I essentially agree with what he says, anytime the owner acts like the fans (see George Steinbrenner of the 80's) it usually isn't good.
    Life is good!

I'm going to jump on the "good for Hank" bandwagon with this one -- this team this year is miserable, they are all overpaid and they don't have any passion to win it seems.

Light a fire under their asses Hank!!!
    GO YANKEES

NYYF HOF

I'm glad Hank said something...I wish I could rip them a new asshole....it's pathetic the way they are playing....going to be a long year
    FRANCESA >> KAY

NYYF Legend

I don't think the team is as bad as they are playing now, but I'm not sure if they are a very good team.

Life is short. Drink beer yankeeman61's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tdel23
    I don't think the team is as bad as they are playing now, but I'm not sure if they are a very good team.
    This statement pretty much defines the team itself.
    (Signature removed by moderator. No animated images allowed in sigs. Feel free to use a conventional, small-size image. Thanks for your understanding.)

Quote Originally Posted by JOBA RULES
    I'm glad Hank said something...I wish I could rip them a new asshole....it's pathetic the way they are playing....going to be a long year
    We definately need to stop making excuses for this team, they are just not good and need to find a way to learn how to hit as a team.

Now if we can only figure out a way to take Peter Abraham's blog and end his reign by force.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey37
    I hope it doesn't come to this, but I'd be interested to see exactly what Hank would do in this situation....
    It means he will open up the yankee checkbook and I cant say I blame him, theres no way he can allow the team we currently have to be the squad that opens up the new stadium.
    If you listen to the fans you’ll be sitting with them soon enough.- Brian Cashman

Released Outright JavyVazquezIsSick's Avatar

Hanky.

Thanks Hank... for the diarrhea of the mouth!
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

'Force' as in threatening to kneecap Cano's sister?

Life is short. Drink beer yankeeman61's Avatar

Did ObeWangKanobe tell Hank to use the Force?
    (Signature removed by moderator. No animated images allowed in sigs. Feel free to use a conventional, small-size image. Thanks for your understanding.)

NYYF Legend

I like the comments.

Damon doesn't hit = Yankees can't win...I think that's the bottom line with this team. It's scary how important he is.

Please, call me YFiB Yankee Fan in Boston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tdel23
    Well, they are one game better that last year, for what that is worth...
    "Welcome to NYYFans, the place where Yankees fans come together to complain about the manner in which our team is winning games" -- Mr. Coffee

With the exception of Jeter, Matsui, and Giambi.. no one in the lineup is "going well"

The 1 and 3 hitters have been ice cold this week, 9 has been a black hole.. so there goes your offense.

Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee
    "By force" hmmm...

Is Hank going to wrestle Chad Moeller in the clubhouse or something?
    That mental picture made me laugh so hard I peed a little.
    [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=blue]Oh my goodness gracious.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio
    Perhaps what he means by "by force" is that he would be a seller at the trade deadline. If we're still languishing near the bottom of the pack by then, he might start eating salaries and dealing players. While it wouldn't be an immediate fix, it probably would help the long term plan anyway. If that's indeed the route we're going, might as well get in with both feet.
    I don't think that's at all what he means. He may trade some guys but I can't see him being a seller unless things get really bad and he is just looking to gear up for next year.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio
    If we became sellers at the deadline, we can unload Damon, Matsui, Farnsworth and possibly Moose (if they all agree to be traded assuming they have NTC's) and get solid prospects back while removing salary going forward. I would not be opposed to this at all if we are around .500 on 7/31.

I think Hank means that some of these self-interested superstars will start seeing some bench time if they keep making mistakes and showing poor discipline.
    SI: Do you have a secret ambition?
    Igawa: That's secret.

"They should just practice during the regular season and show up for the playoffs -Ichiro on the Yankees

Thread Information