+ Reply to Thread
    Devoted Member
    Viva Las Vegas, 2539 miles from Yankee Stadium

Type A/B free agents and how they're classified

Can someone please enlighten me on how MLB classifies players as either A or B free agents? Is there a tool somewhere that is used to track this throughout the season?

I'm asking because I'd really like to see if Hawkins and Farnsworth can not screw up enough to qualify and thus bring us some sweet draft picks.

If Farns pitched the way he did Saturday more often, he could easily be in the top 20% of AL relievers. But, does that mean he has to be top 20% in just ERA? Or is there another stat or formula they use?

I realize its early in the season, but following players' progress is part of baseball
    [FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=5]REFUSE TO BOO!!![/SIZE][/FONT]

"Mariano Rivera might do his job better than any other athlete in history of team sports." - Peter Abraham

NYYF Legend

Re: Type A/B free agents and how they're classified

I think it is based off the last two seasons. That being said, I doubt Hawkins is a Type A or B. Farnsworth, maybe.

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by -tz
    Damn thats a sweet site, thanks Tz!!

"Mariano Rivera might do his job better than any other athlete in history of team sports." - Peter Abraham

Devoted Member

37 Kyle Farnsworth 63.026 B

74 LaTroy Hawkins 48.504

These are after the 2007 season. So, Farns is going to need a pretty damn good season to bump to an A, but if he wants to have a good "walk year", he could do it. Hawkins isn't too far from a B really. If he does similar to what he did last year he should get it. Hopefully.

I don't see a way to actually track players during this season though. That would be very cool to watch as we went along.

Devoted Member

Too bad we traded this guy for nothing..he could have gotten us a first rounder:

18 Scott Proctor 74.622 A

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by NYYMazda
    Too bad we traded this guy for nothing..he could have gotten us a first rounder:

18 Scott Proctor 74.622 A
    It's pretty clear that the rankings weight quantity almost as much as quality. Any Torre burnout probably could get a ''B" and maybe an "A", just as Proctor did. Problem is, armless pitchers aren't in great demand.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Yankee Stadium: 1923-2008 DiMaggio5CF's Avatar

I think that when Pavano becomes a FA, the Yankees have to give a draft pick to whoever signs him.
    27-Time World Champions

Thread Information