180. You may not vote on this poll
  • Slow Start

85 47.22%
  • Mediocre Team

95 52.78%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    NYYF Triple Crown

Re: One Month in...Slow Start or Mediocre Team?

How's about slow start by the hitters, mediocre pitching staff?

NYYF Triple Crown

You can put me in the "too-early-to-tell" group. We are definitely mediocre now but the Yankees have been or are missing a lot of key parts (either due to injury or slow starts) and could put things together and go on a nice run.

Coming into the season, my biggest concern was the starting pitching. It remains so. I was very nervous about starting the season with 60% of starting rotation being major questions marks. It seemed more wishful thinking than thoughtful management. I have this nagging doubt about our starters being sufficient to get us into the post-season.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by CommerceComet
    You can put me in the "too-early-to-tell" group. We are definitely mediocre now but the Yankees have been or are missing a lot of key parts (either due to injury or slow starts) and could put things together and go on a nice run.

Coming into the season, my biggest concern was the starting pitching. It remains so. I was very nervous about starting the season with 60% of starting rotation being major questions marks. It seemed more wishful thinking than thoughtful management. I have this nagging doubt about our starters being sufficient to get us into the post-season.
    Our lack of hitting has been a bigger problem than our starting pitching imo.

NYYF Legend

Last year we lead the majors in runs scored. This year we are 8th in the AL. Even when our team was struggling last year early we were in the top 3 or 4 most of the year in runs scored. And were playing serveal games below our expected record based on run differential. This year our 19-20 record is exactly equal to our expected record. I have to think the offense will improve when A-rod & Posada return and Cano is hitting better (as he he has started to the last week or so) but still I'm not sure those 3 players performing up to their average levels is enough to turn this team from a 4.4 run per game team it has been so far into a 6.0 run per game team we had last year.

This year the big improvement was supposed to be the pitching. All those garbage starts from the laudry list of failed pitchers we all complained about were supposed to be replaced by better than league average (or at least league average) starts from Hughes and Kennedy (and later Chaimberlain) but so far Hughes and Kenndy combined to be the two worst starters in all of MLB. Our team ERA sits at 4.39, 10th in the AL and I just don't see the prospects for this improving like I did last year when our pitching stunk at this time.

So right now with nearly 25% of the season done I see this as a mediocre team. Hope I'm wrong but I just don;t have the same faith in them turning this around that I had the past two seasons.

NYYF Legend

this team's looking at 3rd place this year, barring the rays' pitching stumbling in a major way.

NYYF Cy Young

This team is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by jbauer2485
    This team is awful.
    I second that

Quote Originally Posted by IMissBillyM
    I second that
    I disagree.

With all of the injuries we still have looked a little better than last year's version at this time. I'm looking at it optimistically, as being the last year of Yankee Stadium, something tells me that this team will put it together and make a run at the playoffs.

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by YanksFan1992
    I disagree.

With all of the injuries we still have looked a little better than last year's version at this time. I'm looking at it optimistically, as being the last year of Yankee Stadium, something tells me that this team will put it together and make a run at the playoffs.
    Your optimism is to be admired. But it sure isn't based on anything we're seeing on the field.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by apalradio
    Your optimism is to be admired. But it sure isn't based on anything we're seeing on the field.
    My feeling is that eventually with our level of talent we should be able to pick it up and right now we are still easily with-in range of first place. If it falls to 10-12 games than I will start to get worried.

I guess part of my optimism comes from the fact that we haven't missed the playoffs since I was one year old.

NYYF Legend

They'll put together some impressive W streaks before too long.

NYYF Cy Young

i worry about this team more than last year because we now don't have Joe Torre
    NYK // NYG // NYY

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ksison
    i worry about this team more than last year because we now don't have Joe Torre
    I worry about this team more than last year because it simply is not scoring runs and the pitching has been mediocre at best. Last year we had most of the lineup slumping but were still scoring runs early, this year nothing. Last year at this time we were looking at reinforcements to the staff coming from Clemens, Hughes and possibly some of the other kids down on the farm. This year Clemens is nowhere to be seen (nor does anyone particularly want him) and Hughes & Kennedy were miserable in their first go round. Unless their second go rounds are considerably better, we are going to be in for a long season.

I don't think the manager means a whole lot. I actually think Joe G is getting as much out of this squad as he can and don't think Joe T would be doing as well. Joe G has at least show the willinginess to mix and match in the BP and not ride just 2 or 3 guys like Joe T. The result is that the pen that has been a weak point for the last 5 years has actually been one of the teams only strengths to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper
    I worry about this team more than last year because it simply is not scoring runs and the pitching has been mediocre at best. Last year we had most of the lineup slumping but were still scoring runs early, this year nothing. Last year at this time we were looking at reinforcements to the staff coming from Clemens, Hughes and possibly some of the other kids down on the farm. This year Clemens is nowhere to be seen (nor does anyone particularly want him) and Hughes & Kennedy were miserable in their first go round. Unless their second go rounds are considerably better, we are going to be in for a long season.

I don't think the manager means a whole lot. I actually think Joe G is getting as much out of this squad as he can and don't think Joe T would be doing as well. Joe G has at least show the willinginess to mix and match in the BP and not ride just 2 or 3 guys like Joe T. The result is that the pen that has been a weak point for the last 5 years has actually been one of the teams only strengths to date.
    The offense will pickup with the return of ARod and both Cano and Giambi seemingly coming out of their extended slumps. Let's remember that ARod was a huge reason we were scoring runs early last year as he really started off the year on fire.

On the pitching front I think we have a real nice 1-4 starters. Wang is a true Ace right now. Pettitte needs to pick it up but I'd imagine he will. Moose has been a very solid 3. Rasner has looked great in the 4th spot. Then we'll see if Kennedy can get the job done in the 5th spot, personally if he is throwing strikes I see no reason why he won't be able to do that. Then we have a very strong bullpen with Mo, Joba, Farnsworth, and others.

Forum Regular

This poll should be amended...the Yankees are worse than medicore...calling them mediocre is a compliment.

The major issue is the pitching (starting and partly bullpen) while I think the offense will right itself, I dont see the team going far with the current starting rotation.
    Vin Scully on Stan Musial (aka Baseball's Perfect Knight):

"The guy was so good, he'd take your breath away"

Funny how around the time we swept the Mariners this poll was in favor of "slow start" and now after this past week of bad play, "mediocre" is winning now.
    Spring Training is just around the corner!

I chose slow start, and I still believe it, but days like this make me wonder.

Addicted Member

Mediocre. And Cash now seems to have over-estimated our offense and our pitching.
    Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be. - Kurt Vonnegut

NYYF Triple Crown

Two beautiful rural acres in Windham, Maine

Even if this is just a slow start (I hate to waste 25% of a season like this)...even if they find a way to turn this ship around (they did it last year, but we can't depend on that yet again)...even if they somehow rebound from two months of sloppy, dispassionate, poor play, it's just getting harder and harder to like anything about this team these days.
    Yankee fan living in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by primetime714
    The offense will pickup with the return of ARod and both Cano and Giambi seemingly coming out of their extended slumps. Let's remember that ARod was a huge reason we were scoring runs early last year as he really started off the year on fire.

On the pitching front I think we have a real nice 1-4 starters. Wang is a true Ace right now. Pettitte needs to pick it up but I'd imagine he will. Moose has been a very solid 3. Rasner has looked great in the 4th spot. Then we'll see if Kennedy can get the job done in the 5th spot, personally if he is throwing strikes I see no reason why he won't be able to do that. Then we have a very strong bullpen with Mo, Joba, Farnsworth, and others.
    I'm sorry, but I think that you are looking at the situation through rose-colored glasses. It is true that ARod and Po's absence has damaged the team offensively, and that the offense will be better when they return. However, the offense wasn't exactly gangbusters prior to those injuries. Essentially, you have a bunch of streaky hitters who are quite underwhelming in terms of situational hitting in general, and poor in the clutch. Even at best, theirs is a highly inconsistent offense, equally capable on a given day of putting up 6 runs or making the most pedestrian of pitchers look like a Cy Young contender.

Giambi, were the Yankees better constructed, would best serve this team as a part-time DH and pinch hitter. He is capable of hitting it out, but not much more. He is, fairly demonstrably, past the point where he can be a consistently productive major league player.

This is not getting a lot of discussion, but our bench once again is abysmal. Yes, we have had key injuries, but other teams have been smarter about crafting deeper benches of solid, competent hitters, so that they have greater depth and greater ability to withstand injuries. In the dynasty years, when Bernie went down, we had Chad Curtis. We also had Strawberry and Raines, even Shane Spencer. I hate to use this example, but the Red Sox have Sean Casey as backup 1B- he is hitting .345, gives veteran leadership, and there is no reason why we can't have such players as well, if our GM showed a little bit of creativity and greater baseball acumen, instead of taking flyers on players dropped from mediocre teams or rolling the dice on unproven rookies expected to play key roles on this team.

Finally, let's face it- we have one top-notch starting pitcher-CMW- who would be a #1 or #2 on a contending/championship team. Pettitte was never dominant in his prime and appears to have lost a step from there. He now appears to have caught Mike Mussina disease, which is pitching just well enough to lose. Even though he is considered our #2 starter, he is not nearly as good as our top competitors' #2, and it shows- he is consistently getting outpitched. Mussina and Rasner have been nice surprises thus far, but neither can be counted on to pitch on their current level for an entire season. They are in the Chacon/Small/Al Leiter's first start against Boston category. The fact that we have a team that has a payroll of over $200 million and has ONE consistently reliable starting pitcher is inexcusable. We have three good pitchers in total- CMW, Mo, Joba. I am not ready to anoint Hughes and Kennedy as anything other than prospects (who thus far have underwhelmed, to say the least) until they show me evidence to the contrary.

This is a little more nebulous, admittedly, but it seems to me that, since around 2003, the Yankees have been a team with a collective glass jaw (often in key games), becoming progressively pulseless. A major shakeup might actually help this franchise considerably in the long-term.

The verdict: mediocre team, poorly constructed.

seriously? No one has noticed that this happens every year now?

Obviously a slow start, compounded by losing the best player in the game and our in game captain ( Jorge ).

Its all well and good if you lose slugging but keep OBP. But when you lose slugging and OBP...it really puts a strain on your line up.
    Alex's and Jorge's replacements havent maintained a steady OBP...let alone a steady slugging percentage.

The team will be 6 or fewer games out by ASB and from there, it will be just about if we are capable of going on one of those runs.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Jglaubman
    seriously? No one has noticed that this happens every year now?
    I think that a lot of people have noticed this. I'm confused- does this mean that you favor "slow start" and expect the team to repeat '05 and '07 and make the playoffs?

This year has a different feel to me. I hope I am wrong, but I think that the Y's will be looking to trade some vets at the deadline. Let us just hope at least that the young pitching finds itself by mid-season, including Joba after his conversion to the rotation.

It is okay to have a rebuilding year if some pieces start to fall in place.

Released Outright

Bomber999's is a devastating but, to my mind, correct analysis of the present situation with the Yankees. It won't take much to cause the whole flimsy structure to collapse--another humiliating series (like the recent TB series) could of itself cause the kind of demoralization that finishes off a team like this.

Yes, the injuries have been hard to take, but, really, it's the pitching that can't be relied upon for the rest of the season. Wang will have his annual slump (it's normal and human--I'm not complaining). Mussina is overachieving. Pettite is not the pitcher he once was. I'll hold off on Rasner until I see how he performs against former peers of the Yankees (like the Red Sox or LA). Hughes-Kennedy are history for 2008. Nothing can be expected from them, for at least another season.

There will probably be some modest improvement when the wounded return, but this is a 1959-type team, perhaps even a 1965 team. Torre skipped town just in time.

Thread Information