+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast
    NYYF Cy Young

Re: The David Cone said what? Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    I enjoy Cone and Singleton . They are knowledgeable and witty and never boring even when the game is.
    I wish they'd do every game.

Coney's the best. Also part of my all-time favorite commercial.

http://youtu.be/vRMJQvSJyQg

NYYF Cy Young

Unless I missed it before, Cone created a new verb in describing Cano's short right porch homer today against Morrow - he said Morrow got "porched". Pretty cool! I also like his description of a hitter who looks good at the plate as "hitterish".

NYYF Legend

"Hitterish" is not new, nor was it coined by Cone. Apparently, it goes back at least to Dizzy Dean, if not to Babe Ruth:

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/langu...es/003261.html

"Porched," however, I believe to be new, and Coney's own. Cone was in the YES Studio today, and if I'm not mistaken, it was Kay who reported that he had said it in connection with Cano's first homer, which barely made it into the stands: "Morrow got porched."

The second homer, however, as Kay noted, was scorched. .

27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

^ It was for charity ... to help "elderly people with disabilities," according to the YES pregame show.

Sounds like "The New York Yankees" to me.

NYYF Legend

Cone on Shawn Kelley:

"He's got one of those manhole sliders. You roll it down Second Avenue and right down the manhole."

NYYF Legend

During today's game, Michael Kay was talking about how Flaherty, O'Neill and Coney would be playing in tomorrow's Old Timers' Day game and then announces that all three of them will be mic'd up. O'Neill asks Cone if he signed up for that. Cone says, "No, and it's all on them now, if you're gonna mic me up..."

That should definitely be worth a watch, and a listen.

NYYF Legend

David Cone is one of the reasons that watching the games he does enjoyable.....especially during this time of dull, boring Yankee games. You never know what he is going to say to make you laugh. I wish he did more of their games.

NYYF Legend

Cone called the last curveball that David Robertson threw on Thursday a "yellow hammer," which broke like a "snapdragon."

And with two outs in the Yankee ninth, and people beginning to stretch their cameras out toward the Yankee pen, where Mo was getting ready to come in, he said, "Guess who's warming up? Mick Jagger!"

Melky Mesa's swing-and-miss reminded him of the swings his brother used to take against him when they were playing Whifflebark, back in "Conedlestick Park." Which is what he called the Cone family back yard on days when he wanted to be Juan Marichal. On days when he wanted to be Luis Tiant, it was "Coneway Park."

NYYF Triple Crown

In the 10th inning of today's game, Rodriguez comes in to pinch hit and the crowd starts booing. Cone then says in a Bob Sheppard like-voice as Rodriguez is getting ready to step into the batter's box, "Now batting, Darth Vader".

NYYF Legend

Logan and Kelley were both warming up, and it wasn't clear at first which one Joe was bringing in to relieve Nova. So Cone cracks, "I have that trouble often when I visit Manhattan. I don't know which Irish bar to go to, Logan's or Kelly's."

He's great to listen to.....
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

NYYF Legend

Cone on Thursday's "Play of the game," a Delmon Young comebacker that Pineda managed to snare after ducking out of the way:

"Chuck and duck! A bullet right at your cabeza! Duck and get your guante up!"

Singleton chimed in with, "You might want to celebrate with a cerveza, after not getting hit in your cabeza!"

All right, so it's not exactly vintage, but it's only March. Give him a while.

(Singleton and Cone are my favorite announcer duo, so I was happy to discover this game on my DVR.)

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    Cone on Thursday's "Play of the game," a Delmon Young comebacker that Pineda managed to snare after ducking out of the way:

"Chuck and duck! A bullet right at your cabeza! Duck and get your guante up!"

Singleton chimed in with, "You might want to celebrate with a cerveza, after not getting hit in your cabeza!"

All right, so it's not exactly vintage, but it's only March. Give him a while.

(Singleton and Cone are my favorite announcer duo, so I was happy to discover this game on my DVR.)
    ¡Coño!
    Last edited by JL25and3; 03-14-14 at 03:46 PM.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    I wish they'd do every game.
    I also like them together and hope they do more games together this year.

NYYF Legend

So Ortiz hits a tremendously high fly ball to center, and Cone remarks on his would-be home run swing:

"Lift and separate! No, that's not an advertisement for the Wonder Bra, Michael, that's a swing type!"

Whereupon Kay: "You had a good night's rest, didn't you?"

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    So Ortiz hits a tremendously high fly ball to center, and Cone remarks on his would-be home run swing:

"Lift and separate! No, that's not an advertisement for the Wonder Bra, Michael, that's a swing type!"

Whereupon Kay: "You had a good night's rest, didn't you?"
    I'm really surprised that Cone would say something so idiotic. Everyone knows "lift and separate" was the Playtex Cross-Your-Heart bra.

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Devoted Member

Coney was on fire today! Was that word that he "invented" glusome?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Tino's Girl View Post
    Coney was on fire today! Was that word that he "invented" glusome?
    It was "gruelsome." As he pointed out later on, it's in the Urban Dictionary:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=gruelsome

gruelsome
    of or relating to grueling
    Boy is that gruelsome

Not said by David Cone, but this still seems like the most appropriate thread for it.

Early in today's Mets game, when Bartolo Colón was getting smacked around, one of the announcers commented on the thinness of the Mets' bullpen after two extra-inning games: "The Mets are going to need length as well as girth from Colón today."
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Not said by David Cone, but this still seems like the most appropriate thread for it.

Early in today's Mets game, when Bartolo Colón was getting smacked around, one of the announcers commented on the thinness of the Mets' bullpen after two extra-inning games: "The Mets are going to need length as well as girth from Colón today."
    That's what you get when your starter is fat and your bullpen is thin!

I believe Coney said over the weekend that pitching is "like being in a NYC cab". Expanding on the fact that you need to keep hitters off balance by varying your speed of pitches.

Happy Summer!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

@ Coney talking about Burke Badenhop sounding like a character name from General Hospital. then went into Luke and Laura and the big wedding back in the day...

I used to enjoy reading the articles on what athletes watched which soap operas as that was what was on in the hotel rooms when they were up watching tv...

I love listening to Cone..I like Cone, Kay and Leiter.

Cone nailed it when he said Mike Carp looks like "Whitey" from "Me, Myself & Irene." Kay thought Chris Elliott.

Thread Information