+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 17 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    NYYF MVP

Re: The David Cone said what? Thread

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    , he's a real nice dude. Said "absolutely" when I asked for the pic.
    He was in Legends today, too. Started an autograph session a half-hour before game time, and there was a long line to see him so I let him be, and just took a peek.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by HerbieLee20 View Post
    He was in Legends today, too. Started an autograph session a half-hour before game time, and there was a long line to see him so I let him be, and just took a peek.
    The bar I saw him at was two blocks away from Legends - BARONFIFTH at the Setai.

"Get out of my kitchen!"

On the swing Dickerson made to pull an inside fastball for a GR double.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    "Get out of my kitchen!"

On the swing Dickerson made to pull an inside fastball for a GR double.
    HAHAHAH, that one really made me laugh when i heard it.
    I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee fan

Operation 28

NYYF Legend

Someone needs to tell Coney that "groin" is a single syllable word.

Addicted Member

Did anyone hear Cone going through the pitch sequence after the Pena grand slam? They were going through it when suddenly they go to CC pitching to the next batter, and Cone was still in analyst mode and got confused for a moment. It was pretty funny.
    http://twitter.com/NYMoot

NYYF Legend

During yesterday's 100th anniversary of Fenway game, Kay got to talking about how Caroline Kennedy had thrown out the first pitch (from the stands, not the mound), and Cone said she'd called him last week:

CONE: She wanted me to go to Central Park and help her play catch. I've known Caroline from meeting Lorne Michaels and David Wells at a dinner several years ago. She was looking for a pitching coach, Michael, and I was going to oblige her, but then she called me back the other night and said, "Well, it's only going to be a five-foot throw, so I guess I don't need your services."

SINGLETON: You were going to teach her a slider or something?

CONE: I was going to give her some pointers, go and play catch with her in Central Park.

KAY: That's an unbelievable story that you just slipped on me. Caroline Kennedy called you to play catch in Central Park?

CONE: She wanted me to be her personal pitching coach.

KAY: Wow!

CONE: And of course, I agreed, I said, sure, I'll meet you right there.

KAY: Well, the amazing part of the story is that you actually picked up the phone when somebody called. That's the shocker. You're a tough guy to get hold of.

CONE: You're no Caroline Kennedy.

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    During yesterday's 100th anniversary of Fenway game, Kay got to talking about how Caroline Kennedy had thrown out the first pitch (from the stands, not the mound), and Cone said she'd called him last week:

CONE: She wanted me to go to Central Park and help her play catch. I've known Caroline from meeting Lorne Michaels and David Wells at a dinner several years ago. She was looking for a pitching coach, Michael, and I was going to oblige her, but then she called me back the other night and said, "Well, it's only going to be a five-foot throw, so I guess I don't need your services."

CONE: I was going to give her some pointers, go and play catch with her in Central Park.

KAY: That's an unbelievable story that you just slipped on me. Caroline Kennedy called you to play catch in Central Park?

KAY: Well, the amazing part of the story is that you actually picked up the phone when somebody called. That's the shocker. You're a tough guy to get hold of.

I can totally see Coney screening Kay's calls
    Twenty Seven and Counting.

NYYF Legend

this is awesome.

i know the history of why she was asked but is she a RS fan? because john jr was such a yankee fan and her calling cone...was just wondering...
    "Happiness is...a thumb and a blanket."

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    this is awesome.

i know the history of why she was asked but is she a RS fan? because john jr was such a yankee fan and her calling cone...was just wondering...
    I doubt it as I thought her kids were Yankee fans.

Cone did pitch for Boston in his final season.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Cone did pitch for Boston in his final season.
    Actually, he had a final cup of coffee with the Mets.

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    this is awesome.

I'm pretty sure that Jackie O and John Jr. were Mets fans. I've seen a lot of old photos of them at Shea as well as John Jr. attending alone.

JFK Jr

With mom at Shea

Jackie and Aristotle at Shea, JFK Jr to his right (our left)

Another of Jackie and Aristotle at Shea

Ted Kennedy drunk at the beach

JFK jr was at the Braves vs Yankees game 24 hours before he died on Friday July 16th 1999.

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/time/....last.day.html

the all star game was Tuesday July 13th
    the Yankees and Braves started a very weird Thursday, Friday, and Saturday 3 game series.
    and then the Expos came in to start their series on Sunday the 18th
    of course Cone pitched his perfect game on that Sunday on Yogi Berra day.

on Sunday, Bob Shepard asked for a moment of silence for JFK jr. as by that time even though they had not found his body or the plane, it was almost certain he was dead.

I once got a quick hello with JFK jr in Central Park around 1990.
    he was near the reservoir and I recognized him walking alone towards me one afternoon.
    he realized I recognized him and he gave me a quick nod and a hey as we passed each other.
    his mother lived on 85th street and 5th avenue.
    his sister also lives close by Central Park, hence the invite to Cone to practice there.

Quote Originally Posted by bomber999 View Post
    Actually, he had a final cup of coffee with the Mets.
    That's right-- I forgot about that.

I wonder if the Sox invited him to the Fenway celebration thing-- he was already there, he could have come down on the field.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

That's right-- I forgot about that.

I wonder if the Sox invited him to the Fenway celebration thing-- he was already there, he could have come down on the field.
    He talked about being the opposing pitcher in Mike Mussina's near-perfecto at Fenway in 2001. If Moose had only been able to retire that rat Carl Everett, Cone would have been involved in the last two perfect games pitched to that point, the first time as the winning pitcher and the second time as losing pitcher.

I remember that game like it was yesterday. Cone pitched a heck of a game that day, too. It was scoreless until the top of the ninth, when the Yankees managed to score a single lousy run (unearned, at that) off of Coney. (Enrique Wilson, of all people, got the RBI.)

And Moose was one STRIKE away from a perfect game when he lost it.

There's a good recap here: http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/03/sp...one-pitch.html

And play by play here: http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...00109020.shtml

NYYF Legend

He talked about being the opposing pitcher in Mike Mussina's near-perfecto at Fenway in 2001. If Moose had only been able to retire that rat Carl Everett, Cone would have been involved in the last two perfect games pitched to that point, the first time as the winning pitcher and the second time as losing pitcher.

I remember that game like it was yesterday. Cone pitched a heck of a game that day, too. It was scoreless until the top of the ninth, when the Yankees managed to score a single lousy run (unearned, at that) off of Coney. (Enrique Wilson, of all people, got the RBI.)

And Moose was one STRIKE away from a perfect game when he lost it.

There's a good recap here: http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/03/sp...one-pitch.html

And play by play here: http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...00109020.shtml
    I never liked Carl Everett before that game, so you can imagine my thoughts after seeing him acting like a fool on first base. I always thought Cone was secretly rooting for Mike to get the perfecto after the top of the 9th. BTW - I sorta got even with Everett during a road trip to Cleveland in 2002. He was with the Rangers then and they were the next team in at the hotel after the Yankees. A couple of Texas players stopped at the lounge and he was one of them. I had already gone up to my room when one of my buddies called to tell me he was sitting 15 feet away from them. They told me to put on my #35 jersey and get back down there. I rearranged the chairs at our table so that my back was facing him. It took awhile, but he finally noticed. I could see his reflection in the mirrored glass, so when he turned to look, I raised my arm and gave him the ol' "half-a-peace sign" without turning around.

Mike later said that after that game, the fans in Boston seemed to appreciate what he was almost able to do and they weren't nearly as hostile to him while he was warming up in the pen from then on. Before that, he said he heard "a lot of original stuff".
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

NYYF Legend

Of Phil Hughes' pre-first-pitch routine, Cone commented today: "Not exactly Tebowing out there, but pretty close."

It's such a treat to have just Cone and Singleton in the booth for the Kansas City series every year. Does anyone else notice that the broadcast is much less on edge with these two? It makes for a much more pleasant viewing experience without Michael Kay giving the color guy the third degree every game.

As a sidenote, Cone is one of the very few pro athletes about whom I haven't heard a single negative story when it comes to interacting with fans. I'm so happy the YES Network has him. I love that he has a sense of humor about himself that comes through on the broadcasts too. I heard an interview with him on the Michael Kay Show from around this time last year; Michael referenced the supposed impending end of the world on 5/21/11 and Coney started joking about how he'd be going straight to hell.

NYYF Cy Young

Cone and Singleton are by far the best. I wish they were the regular cast, Michael Kay is so damn obnoxious and loud and annoying.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MoVaughnEatsAlot View Post
    Cone and Singleton are by far the best. I wish they were the regular cast, Michael Kay is so damn obnoxious and loud and annoying.
    I may have asked before, but why do you think Kay still has a job? So many fans cannot stand him. I've never heard him in the booth unless there's brief clip of something, but I have my own hate agenda going. Does the network need the controversy for ratings or something?
    September 28, 2008 - the day the HOF got a wake-up Moose call.

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    I may have asked before, but why do you think Kay still has a job? So many fans cannot stand him. I've never heard him in the booth unless there's brief clip of something, but I have my own hate agenda going. Does the network need the controversy for ratings or something?
    Because ownership likes him and Sterling and they believe you watch the Yankees for the quality of the team, not the annnouncer.

Quote Originally Posted by 35Knucklecurve View Post
    I bet more people like him or are okay with him than dislike him. Like with most things, the people who dislike someone are going to be louder than the supporters. I definitely get why people dislike Sterling so much, but I don't get it as much with Kay. He's not Vin Scully, but I think he's generally quite competent at calling the game and isn't boring. He definitely says silly things at times, but that's going to happen with anyone who's on air for hundreds of hours every year. As a former subscriber to MLB Gameplan, I've heard a lot of different MLB announcers, and I think Kay is definitely better than most of his competition. He's flawed, certainly, and has annoying tendencies, but I don't think he's nearly flawed enough to get the hate he gets or to be fired-worthy.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    I bet more people like him or are okay with him than dislike him. Like with most things, the people who dislike someone are going to be louder than the supporters. I definitely get why people dislike Sterling so much, but I don't get it as much with Kay. He's not Vin Scully, but I think he's generally quite competent at calling the game and isn't boring. He definitely says silly things at times, but that's going to happen with anyone who's on air for hundreds of hours every year. As a former subscriber to MLB Gameplan, I've heard a lot of different MLB announcers, and I think Kay is definitely better than most of his competition. He's flawed, certainly, but I don't think he's nearly flawed enough to get the hate he gets.
    There's the rub. There is the good along with the annoying, excruciating and simply irritating. I count myself a Kay hater, but I respect his attention to detail, his knowledge of the game and players across the major leagues, and I am well aware that the league-average replacement broadcaster is considerably worse. What really fries me is that a superior product in the person of Ken Singleton is right there--superior voice, superior knowledge, and just a pleasure to listen to.

Don't compare Kay to every idiot in the major leagues, compare him to Kenny.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Thread Information