+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast
    Addicted Member

Re: The David Cone said what? Thread

i love kay and kenny, like paul and al and flaherty, dont mind cone, miss kaat and bobby, and love all of them even more when i'm listening to sterling.

Sorta tan, but while I can't stand Kay now and I loathe Sterling, I miss the combo of Sterling and Kay together on the radio.

They somehow balanced each other out and weren't caricatures back then together.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by TheBamTino24
    I find David Cone and Paul O'Neill entertaining. I also think Cone provides some very good points/nuances about the game that we don't get from many of the other broadcasters. Al Leiter is like that too, but sometimes I feel he just talks too much.

Bobby Murcer's voice is synonymus with Yankee games, and Ken Singleton does a very solid job. I view Singleton as textbook. Also really enjoy John Flaherty's logical approach to analysis.

Michael Kay? Ugh.
    I agree with this entire post. Shocking.

NYYF Legend

I kind of like Cone for his unintentional comic relief. It's great.

I really don't care who is in the booth because for me nothing (and I mean nothing) will ever top Rizzuto, White, and Messer.

Yankee Stadium: 1923-2008 DiMaggio5CF's Avatar

Part of Michael Kay's schtick is the stupid/corny jokes, but when the other commentators try to copy him or play along with him, it's very irritating.
    27-Time World Champions

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by jessiedog
    It may be me - but sometimes I feel like the broadcast is a Centerstage episode- w/Michael Kay asking Cone and O'Neill or whoever else is in the booth (besides Singleton) questions to try to get them to speak. I think it takes away from the play by play. I like hearing the stories, but I would think eventually this will get old.
    Yes, yes ... good points jessiedog. While Michael Kay gets on my nerves, one thing I do like about his broadcasting is the kind of "fan perspective" he brings to the broadcasts, asking the former players questions that we, ourselves, might ask - however, you're right; sometimes it's like he's doing an extended interview. It's one thing to reference their career vis a vis something that is going on down on the field, but then he goes into too much detail, talking about the former player's career instead of the game.

Speaking of Cone, does anyone else notice how critical he is of Posada? I know he and Georgie didn't exactly get along, but he is quite frank in detailing how Mussina and Posada have never gotten it together, and other (in his opinion) shortcomings. In fairness he is often critical of other players as well. Maybe it's just that he's more frank than most other former players turned broadcasters usually are. Today, on Michael Kay's radio show, he was pretty frank on Hughes and Kennedy. I'd have to listen to the interview again to make sure I interpreted his remarks correctly, but he seemed to indicate that Kennedy was maybe a little too cocky or thought this (being in the majors) would be easier than it is and is now rather timid or afraid. The interview might be on the 1050 website.

Quote Originally Posted by The Q Bomb

Speaking of Cone, does anyone else notice how critical he is of Posada? I know he and Georgie didn't exactly get along, but he is quite frank in detailing how Mussina and Posada have never gotten it together, and other (in his opinion) shortcomings. In fairness he is often critical of other players as well. Maybe it's just that he's more frank than most other former players turned broadcasters usually are. Today, on Michael Kay's radio show, he was pretty frank on Hughes and Kennedy. I'd have to listen to the interview again to make sure I interpreted his remarks correctly, but he seemed to indicate that Kennedy was maybe a little too cocky or thought this (being in the majors) would be easier than it is and is now rather timid or afraid. The interview might be on the 1050 website.
    I like the frankness, but he also praised Posada as a leader in the clubhouse and much more vocal than perhaps Jeter.
    God, I love Yankee fans as they're never satisfied!

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962
    I like the frankness, but he also praised Posada as a leader in the clubhouse and much more vocal than perhaps Jeter.
    Agreed, he did praise Posada's leadership (although I think more to soften the blow of the other negative things he said). It might just be I'm surprised by his frankness; I like it, but I am somewhat surprised by it. Might be a generational thing as I am an older fan.

Addicted Member

I miss kitty.

Singleton, Leiter, and Flash would be the best combo of those currently available IMO. I don't think I've heard that combo yet, but I've heard Kay, Leiter and Flash and I was praying for Kay to choke on something so they could have Singleton could come in and do play by play.

Quote Originally Posted by The Q Bomb
    Agreed, he did praise Posada's leadership (although I think more to soften the blow of the other negative things he said). It might just be I'm surprised by his frankness; I like it, but I am somewhat surprised by it. Might be a generational thing as I am an older fan.
    It's not a generational thing because I was born in the 1950s too, but I won't reveal which year.

NYYF Legend

I like Coney a lot, although he repeats himself a lot. I also like Leiter alot, and loved Kitty, so maybe its a pitcher thing for me? I would like to hear Cone and Leiter do a game together (with Kay) but I am probably the only one. Singleton is good, but a little bland for my tastes. I like Flash, but prefer him along with someone else (and Kay). Trios seem to work best. I also like Bobby and Paulie - but more for that third person personality.

One thing about Cone is that he has a tendency to talk too much, but unlike Leiter, who has the same problem, I like Cone's analysis a lot better.

NYYF Legend

Cone is whitty, knowledgeable, and entertaining. I think the longer he is in the booth the better he is going to get. He may say some things which are controversial, or off color but most of the time he is right on target....especially when it comes to his knowledge of pitching. I think he can be a Rizutto in the booth minus the birthdays.

If I had my way I would lineup the YES guys like the following:

First off, I know that Harold Reynolds is now on SNY, but I would've hired him for the studio to work with Lorenz full-time as studio analyst.

I would then rotate the following guys as Kay's partners.

Singleton, Flaherty, Cone and O'Neill. The problem with O'Neill is that he only wants to work like 25 games a year which hurts him because he's not working enough to improve his skills. Anyhow, I would get rid of Leiter and move Murcer to some other duties.

Quote Originally Posted by LizrdKng67
    I really don't care who is in the booth because for me nothing (and I mean nothing) will ever top Rizzuto, White, and Messer.
    Word. Now THAT was entertainment. I remember Messer only vaguely now, unfortunately, but White and Scooter will live with me always. I always loved that big laugh of Bill White's - he got such a kick out of Phil (like the time Phil inadvertently introduced himself as Bill and Bill as himself). So many classic moments on ch 11 - cannolis and Cora, that's what I remember most.

Those three were the best.

Singleton- very good.
    Cone- green, but is entertaining and has great potential.
    Flaherty- good enough already, a little boring at times but very informative and well composed.
    O'Neill- entertaining at times, but seems to have no natural ability as a professional color commentator, has no business being in the booth if his name wasn't Paul O'Neill.
    Murcer- don't know where the criticism is coming from, has always been very good; funny, knowledgeable, great guy.
    Leiter- like Cone is very green but has great sense of humor and some potential.
    Kay- as eluted to before, an annoying jackass but OUR annoying jackass.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84
    I know a lot of you are in love with Murcer (and I feel bad saying this because of his illness), but I think he's by far the worst that YES has to offer.
    I mentioned this last year (before his cancer scare) and got crucified. His announcing seemed forced and wasn't really fluid.

Cone and Paulie (ignoring the Hawkins incident) are hilarious. I normally don't like 3-man booths, but anything to outweigh the suck that is Michael Kay is welcomed.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic
    I mentioned this last year (before his cancer scare) and got crucified. His announcing seemed forced and wasn't really fluid.

Cone and Paulie (ignoring the Hawkins incident) are hilarious. I normally don't like 3-man booths, but anything to outweigh the suck that is Michael Kay is welcomed.
    I really do like Coney and Paul in the booth together. It brings back good memories of the "old days."

(Relatively speaking, I'm 20 haha)

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by BillBuckner
    Singleton- very good.
    Cone- green, but is entertaining and has great potential.
    Flaherty- good enough already, a little boring at times but very informative and well composed.
    O'Neill- entertaining at times, but seems to have no natural ability as a professional color commentator, has no business being in the booth if his name wasn't Paul O'Neill.
    Murcer- don't know where the criticism is coming from, has always been very good; funny, knowledgeable, great guy.
    Leiter- like Cone is very green but has great sense of humor and some potential.
    Kay- as eluted to before, an annoying jackass but OUR annoying jackass.
    Ken Singleton - excellent - simply one of the best.
    Cone - agreed - has great potential and needs some seasoning
    Flaherty - boring, needs to be mentored by Kenny Singleton in his delivery, but knowledgeable
    O'Neill - think he would be better as the host of Centerstage or a new show called "Conversations with Paul O'Neill" He could interview interesting people and tell stories about baseball and life. He could have his sister Molly on and have a great time.
    Murcer - he's very good. Kenny and Bobby make a great combo.
    Leiter - too much chatter, but agreed has the makings of a good broadcaster.
    Kay - he's YOUR annoying jackass, not mine

Dee
    “The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible and achieves the impossible."

"Money can't buy you happiness, but it will pay for the search." Prince

NYYF Cy Young

I am getting to like Cone on the broadcasts. He livens it up a little. Even Leiter. I could do without O'Neil though. Loved him as a player but he seems like he is just filling in or something. Not a lot to offer.
    Love Kenny Singleton.
    Michael Kay?? Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Why do we keep having to listening to him practice his interviews and know it all approach. It's time to say SEE YA!!

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84
    I know a lot of you are in love with Murcer (and I feel bad saying this because of his illness), but I think he's by far the worst that YES has to offer.
    And Paul O'Neill is running a close second followed by Al Leiter.

I'm sure most people will disagree with me, but the most insightful announcing team YES has would be Singleton, Cone and Flaherty.

Released Outright

Very good analyses of the broadcasters on this thread. Here's mine:

Cone - Very good; very frank; he tends to talk too much and his voice is too soft.
    Flaherty - Also very good; very knowlegeable and able to give insight to many players on this team, however, he has a very boring delivery and voice.
    Singleton - I like Ken; he's good; gives a bit of an old-school take on what's happening in baseball now; nice guy; nice voice, but just a bit too bland.
    Murcer - one of the best. I love his voice; he's very insightful and will give his opinion, but always manages to do so in the best light possible if it's a criticism. I miss him in the booth.
    Leiter - I like Al too. He still reminds me too much of The Mets and does talk too much and go into too much detail on pitching, IMO, but his passion comes through and I like that.
    O'Neill - is actually better than I thought he'd be, and like Cone, Leiter, and Flaherty, his relatively new status as a former player lends good insight to his commentary; however it feels like he's just there for show - like a guest appearance on a morning talk show.
    Kay - He does bring a fan's perspective to the booth amongst all these players. My problem is that he is too gossipy (he should work for Entertainment Tonight) and often mean spirited. He doesn't avoid touchy subjects, i.e. the Giambi steroid issue; the A-Rod booing issue; the disappointing performance of the young pitchers so far this season; things that the former players tend to avoid or soften, but Kay seems to over emphasize these things during the broadcast and often tries to make a mountain out of a mole hill. I wouldn't trade him though.

Not sure what inning it was during last nights game, but Cone made reference to Pettitte as a "Stripper". I think he was trying to say that Andy paints the outside part of the plate, but it came out as "stripper". No where near the Kennedy comment, but noteworthy nonetheless.

I liked Kay a lot better on radio, personally. It would've been a lot better had he stayed with Sterling. It's obvious Kay isn't the biggest fan of Mussina, Kennedy, or Hughes. He needs to keep it out of the broadcasts though. He also is so predictable with things he's going to say- mainly always telling us the runners will be going on a full count pitch with 2 outs and the team has an advantage

Singeton is the best announcer the team has. I just don't like when he calls Yankee-Oriole games because it's clear he's pulling for the opposition.

Flaherty needs to do more games. He has the most potential.

O'Neill, Murcer, Cone, and Leiter are all OK at best at this point.

There are too many announcers here and I wish YES had a consistent 3-man booth. There's too much shuffling in order to create chemistry, I believe.

I admit the Mets have better announcers on radio and TV than we do.

Thread Information