+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 ... LastLast
    Released Outright

Re: The David Cone said what? Thread

I like it when someone flubs a throw and Cone says, "He threw that one like a lawn dart"!

As far as the swearing and trusting. The point is supposed to be that EVERYONE swears, so if there is someone who seemingly DOESN'T swear it is becasue they are faking it and cannot be trusted. Has NOTHING whatsoever to do with race, skin color, creed, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, sexual disorientation, religion, tax bracket, weight class.... you get the picture.

NYYF Legend

I like Cone, but I cannot stand his voice. It drives me nuts.
    Life is a Waste of Time, Time is a Waste of Life, so let's get Wasted all the Time, and have the Time of our Lives

It's not about the destination. It's about the journey.

"Only the good die young"

Happy Holidays!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mantle'sMutt
    I like it when someone flubs a throw and Cone says, "He threw that one like a lawn dart"!

As far as the swearing and trusting. The point is supposed to be that EVERYONE swears, so if there is someone who seemingly DOESN'T swear it is becasue they are faking it and cannot be trusted. Has NOTHING whatsoever to do with race, skin color, creed, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, sexual disorientation, religion, tax bracket, weight class.... you get the picture.
    exactly.

I'm hoping they put Cone on a box -- it's too distracting when he's standing next to Kay and he's about a foot shorter..he looks like a muppet. When he's surrounded by Kay and Singleton, he looks like a little kid.
    "Happiness is...a thumb and a blanket."

When they were discussing Josh Banks's supposed eight pitches yesterday and how a catcher has to signal for it, didn't Cone have a line about "Sometimes you have to put down just the middle finger"?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Casius
    When they were discussing Josh Banks's supposed eight pitches yesterday and how a catcher has to signal for it, didn't Cone have a line about "Sometimes you have to put down just the middle finger"?
    If he did say that, that's classic.

After watching that sequence again on MLB.tv, it's not quite as explicitly expressed like that, but still seems pretty clear.

Flaherty: Eight pitches? I'm trying to figure out the signs for all those eight pitches, David.

Cone: Yeah, you've got to mix it up there. Little hook-and-horn sign; maybe even a little middle finger sign.

After watching that sequence again on MLB.tv, it's not quite as explicitly expressed like that, but still seems pretty clear.

Flaherty: Eight pitches? I'm trying to figure out the signs for all those eight pitches, David.

Cone: Yeah, you've got to mix it up there. Little hook-and-horn sign; maybe even a little middle finger sign.
    Cone and Flaherty seem to work well together. YES should try to keep those two guys together.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Cy Young

Yea, i remember hearing that too
    NYK // NYG // NYY

He had a good one tonight, they were talking about Jay Bruce getting a shaving cream pie to the face and Coney breaks out the "I've taken many things to the face but not shaving cream." or something to that extent...

Quote Originally Posted by southernNYYfan
    He had a good one tonight, they were talking about Jay Bruce getting a shaving cream pie to the face and Coney breaks out the "I've taken many things to the face but not shaving cream." or something to that extent...
    LMFAO HAHAHAHA
    oh this guy is a classic. kinda like a mix between yogi and scooter. you never know what hes gonna say, and when he says it, it has a totally different meaning that what he ment

Quote Originally Posted by LizrdKng67
    I really don't care who is in the booth because for me nothing (and I mean nothing) will ever top Rizzuto, White, and Messer.
    There are no words to describe how much I agree with this. The WPIX days were the best, even when the Yankee teams that I grew up with as a little kid in the 80s were awful.

I think about Michael Kay covering a team like, say the 1988 Yankees, and I shudder.
    Fall down a rabbit hole: Joe Frank.com

"I loved day games. Then you could go out in New York City at night! Have some dinner, beat the streets a little."
    "But you could do that, because you were a starting pitcher."
    "Tell your young position players, stay away from the starting pitchers."

Villanova University for school, Jersey Shore for my home

I've never heard them say the opposing pitching coach's name so much. Dick Pole.

Registered

Let me telll you something about Dick Pole. WOW

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick
    exactly.

I'm hoping they put Cone on a box -- it's too distracting when he's standing next to Kay and he's about a foot shorter..he looks like a muppet. When he's surrounded by Kay and Singleton, he looks like a little kid.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by yanksrule69
    I like Cone, but I cannot stand his voice. It drives me nuts.
    I agree. His voice doesn't drive me nuts but it is annoying - to soft or something. I also think Flaherty is very good but his voice and syntax is very boring. If these guys could only have Ken Singleton's voice...!

Quote Originally Posted by The Q Bomb
    I agree. His voice doesn't drive me nuts but it is annoying - to soft or something. I also think Flaherty is very good but his voice and syntax is very boring. If these guys could only have Ken Singleton's voice...!
    Listening to Ken Singleton is like drinking a nice rum and coke, smooth, smooth, smooth. And he can be genuinely funny at times too.
    Fall down a rabbit hole: Joe Frank.com

A couple Cone lines I laughed at last week (not exact quotes, just approximating):

- Giambi is up again after hitting 2 home runs. Flaherty mentions how hard it is to hit 3 home runs in a game because as a hitter, you're thinking about getting that 3rd home run.

Cone says it's different for pitchers in that situation. He says, "As a pitcher, I'm not thinking about that, I'm thinking about drilling him in the back!"

- Another day, Kay and Flaherty were discussing where they went to college. Cone says, "I didn't go to college. I got my education on 2nd Avenue. At an Irish bar!"

Kay tells Coney that knowing him, he definitely would've had a fun time at college.

David Cone has quickly become my favorite guy to listen to on YES. I like how open and candid he is, and I enjoy listening to his stories. His voice doesn't bother me.... For some reason, it amuses me the way he adds a little grit to his voice to stress certain words.

Flaherty has very sharp analysis, but I feel like he can come off as a little too serious sometimes. But he's very detailed with his insight, so I like him.

Released Outright

Another thing about Cone - and Leiter - they let their passion show through. When someone does a nice job of pitching or hitting - you can hear the approval, admiration, and passion in their voices. I love that! Other announcers, like Kay and Singleton, convey the excitment of a homerun or strikeout or run scored almost for us. Cone is enjoying it himself.

"We already lost Girardi to the bench, now you?"
    "Well, I have had a hard time with commitments throughout my life."

NYYF Legend

I liked his jab at Michael Kay yesterday.

Kay: "Call me and let me know if I start getting annoying."
    Cone: "What do you mean if?"

I may not have been the best Yankee to put on the pinstripes, but I am the proudest.
    - Billy Martin

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by BillBuckner

That's funny

Happy Holidays!! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Let's Go Yanks
    "We already lost Girardi to the bench, now you?"
    "Well, I have had a hard time with commitments throughout my life."
    I heard that one too.

BBuckner - I missed that one - hysterical!

this is becoming my favorite thread...
    "Happiness is...a thumb and a blanket."

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by BillBuckner

haha that's one of the best ones
    NYK // NYG // NYY

NYYF Legend

Kay: "David, did you ever have team mates that didn't drink?"
    Cone: "None that I trusted."

Thread Information