+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast
    Released Outright

Re: The David Cone said what? Thread

David Cone really pounds the theme that nowadays, rookies don't get taken to task enough. He was talking about Joba getting stunned with the homerun and saying reminiscing about the first big hit he gave up and how he hung his head, etc., and the guys in the Met clubhouse jumped all over him. He said you don't see that nowaday and that today young players seem to have a sense of entitlement. This is the second time in a week that I heard that - in different words coming from Andy Pettitte last week and now Coney. Interesting.

I'd rather listen to Cone than that idiot Kaye.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by VTYanksfan
    I'd rather listen to Cone than that idiot Kaye.
    Kay was (extra) nauseating tonight. All of a sudden he's Sigmund Freud discussing Joba. Well, maybe not all of a sudden - he loves to assign emotions, meanings, and all types of subtexts to situations and people based on his own feelings. He's such a fishwife!

NYYF Legend

He said that the 1990's were over two decades ago. We're getting to the 2010's but not yet.
    No Rally Monkeys, Towels or hankies
    Just 50,000 fans of the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by The Q Bomb
    David Cone really pounds the theme that nowadays, rookies don't get taken to task enough. He was talking about Joba getting stunned with the homerun and saying reminiscing about the first big hit he gave up and how he hung his head, etc., and the guys in the Met clubhouse jumped all over him. He said you don't see that nowaday and that today young players seem to have a sense of entitlement. This is the second time in a week that I heard that - in different words coming from Andy Pettitte last week and now Coney. Interesting.
    I noticed that too, but it some instance he's right. But I don't think its the fault of the young players. I think its the fans & media fault. Joba's been a Yankee 20 minutes but if you didn't know better you'd think HE was the captain of the Yanks. The worshipping and heralding that went on last year was ridiculous.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=green][COLOR=#000000]One of these decades the Yankees will... go after good young starting pitching, not ... [U][B]Jurassic Park 4 with Kevin Brown and Randy Johnson.[/B][/U] [/COLOR][SIZE=1]-"V", LoHud Yankees Blog[/SIZE] [/COLOR][/SIZE]

NYYF Legend

"WHIP is a measure of walks and hits per 9 innings."

NYYF Legend

Could Cone or Kay have made WHIP any more clear?

How about just saying "WHIP is how many base runners you average per inning. If your WHIP is 1.5, you allow 1.5 base runners per inning."

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
    "WHIP is a measure of walks and hits per 9 innings."
    That was awful, they made it sound soooooo confusing

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeeah
    That was awful, they made it sound soooooo confusing
    Well, people who don't know what WHIP is also probably think that OPS is derived from some newfangled formula.

NYYF Legend

Cone loves WHIPS of 1.5.

Good thing Flaherty is back in the booth. Kay and Cone are a tough listen.

"Felt a little naked without you Flash"

Kay: "I would have thought you wouldn't be as good in day games, since you're so nocturnal."
    Cone: "Only on the nights when I had to go out with Boomer to keep him out of trouble."

SO MUCH LOVE.

Cone is really great as a commentator, because he is very insightful into what the pitchers and batters are thinking and their strategy. The other commentary always struck me as a little dumbed down, and talking without imparting any useful information. I love Cone being on YES, great commentary. ESPN and FOX, though, their commentary is awful, like watching some kind of very tacky reality tv show, their commentary is basically useless and annoying. Actually some of the best commentary is on the radio, but I've had trouble lately finding which AM station it's on, anybody know?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Reg-gie
    Actually some of the best commentary is on the radio, but I've had trouble lately finding which AM station it's on, anybody know?
    StationCityState
    KUDO (1080)ANCHORAGEAK
    KASR (92.7 FM)CONWAYAR
    WAVZ (1300)NEW HAVENCT
    WICC (600)BRIDGEPORTCT
    WLAD (800)DANBURYCT
    WPOP (1410)HARTFORDCT
    WWCO (1240)WATERBURYCT
    WMEN (640)WEST PALM BEACHFL
    WQYK (1010)TAMPAFL
    WWCN (770)ESTEROFL
    KOTM (97.7 FM)OTTUMWAIA
    WBRK (1340)PITTSFIELDMA
    WSKW (1160)PORTLANDME
    WMFD (630)WILMINGTONNC
    WTSN (1270)DOVERNH
    KBAD (920) / KENO (1460) / KWWN (1100)LAS VEGASNV
    WABH (1380)BATHNY
    WACK (1420) / WUUF (103.5 FM)NEWARKNY
    WCSS (1490)AMSTERDAMNY
    WDLC (1490) / WTSX (96.7 FM)PORT JERVISNY
    WELM (1410)ELMIRANY
    WENE (1430)BINGHAMTONNY
    WENT (1340)GLOVERSVILLENY
    WHAM (1180) / WHTK (1280)ROCHESTERNY
    WHEN (620) / WSYR (570)SYRACUSENY
    WIRY (1340)PLATTSBURGHNY
    WJTN (formerly WKSN) (1240)JAMESTOWNNY
    WKXP (94.3 FM)KINGSTONNY
    WNER (790)WATERTOWNNY
    WPDA (106.1 FM)JEFFERSONNY
    WPIE (1160)TRUMANSBURGNY
    WTLB (1310) / WRNY (1350) / WIXT (1230)UTICA / ROMENY
    WTMM (104.5 FM)ALBANY / SCHENECTADYNY
    WZAD (97.3 FM)WURTSBORONY
    WARM (590)WILKES BARRE / SCRANTONPA
    WEEX (123O) / WYNS (1160)EASTONPA
    WTTC (1550)TOWANDAPA
    WVPO (840) / WILT (960)MOUNT POCANOPA
    WWPA (1340)WILLIAMSPORTPA
    WPRV (formerly WSKO) 790 AMEAST PROVIDENCERI
    WDVT (formerly WEBK) (94.5 FM)RUTLANDVT
    WTSA (1450)BRATTLEBOROVT
    WVMT (620)BURLINGTONVT

Released Outright

I just saw the Yankee replay of today's game and again, I find David Cone very interesting but also very critical. I'm sure it's just frankness but he really says some very unflattering things, albeit, they are often true. He also seems to insinuate that The Yankee clubhouse is not a very good one (as a matter of fact he just about outright says it). He doesn't trash it but he seems to go out of his way to point out how great the Yankee clubhouse was back in his day and several times has emphasized how great other teams' clubhouses seem, i.e. Cleveland and Boston. He is very insightful and I enjoy his commentary but it does tick me off that he is a bit too critical of The Yankees - collectively and individually. He may be right but it still annoys me.

I just saw the Yankee replay of today's game and again, I find David Cone very interesting but also very critical. I'm sure it's just frankness but he really says some very unflattering things, albeit, they are often true. He also seems to insinuate that The Yankee clubhouse is not a very good one (as a matter of fact he just about outright says it). He doesn't trash it but he seems to go out of his way to point out how great the Yankee clubhouse was back in his day and several times has emphasized how great other teams' clubhouses seem, i.e. Cleveland and Boston. He is very insightful and I enjoy his commentary but it does tick me off that he is a bit too critical of The Yankees - collectively and individually. He may be right but it still annoys me.
    I appreciate such commentary because I'm too old and cynical to accept the lumps of everything is great in the Yankee universe. Furthermore, something tells me that the suits at YES wants this kind of commentary and not some "Homer BS" Yankee fans are too used to hearing from their announcers.
    Is this the end of the Brian Cashman era?

NYYF Legend

I like Cone's honesty. He's a good listen, IMHO. Pairing him with Flaherty is a nice duo.
    GO YANKS
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 8, 9, 10, 15, 16, 20, 23, 32, 37, 42, 44, 46, 49, 51

Addicted Member

Kay today, regarding Comerica Park: "There are Tigers everywhere, even ones with balls in their mouths."

NYYF Legend

Even though I like Leiter, I already miss Coney.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonsfavson
    Kay today, regarding Comerica Park: "There are Tigers everywhere, even ones with balls in their mouths."
    I thought of this thread when he said that. He didn't saying anything for a minute after that because I'm sure he realized how it sounded.

Quote Originally Posted by BBombers85
    I thought of this thread when he said that. He didn't saying anything for a minute after that because I'm sure he realized how it sounded.
    Yikes, I missed that!

I'm used to Michael Kay - I liked him better on the radio with Sterling, but like someone said, he's an idiot, but he's our idiot - I hear his voice and I think of summer and baseball.

I can't talk objectively about Paul O'Neill, but I do enjoy hearing him and I think he'd get better if he did more games - he was really stiff when he started and he's definitely gotten better.

I think Cone is very entertaining and also getting better as he goes along.

I like Flaherty - he's not the most "entertaining" guy, but he knows baseball and he does a good job.

Leiter gets on my nerves sometimes - I'm not sure what it is exactly, but he can be annoying (to me).

Singleton is as good as it gets, and I definitely miss Kaat.

To be sane is more dramatic than to be mad - GK Chesterton, Orthodoxy

He also seems to insinuate that The Yankee clubhouse is not a very good one (as a matter of fact he just about outright says it). He doesn't trash it but he seems to go out of his way to point out how great the Yankee clubhouse was back in his day and several times has emphasized how great other teams' clubhouses seem, i.e. Cleveland and Boston.
    Did he give (or imply) any reasons for the Yankee clubhouse not being great? Just curious.

NYYF Legend

All right, I'm listening to the replay of tonight's game (don't ask me why) and Singleton is discussing Giambi's hitting propensities. And I just heard him say "Giambi doesn't swing that way."

David sounds a tad protective of his own teams - give me a break about the chemistry. Unless he spends all of his time there (like he obviously did as a player), I really don't think he's qualified to judge what's going on their now. It's annoying that he thinks that any non-late 90's, early 00's Yankees team has bad chemistry. I'm not going to take him seriously on that at all.

Oh and how much time does he spend with the Indians and Sox to judge how great their chemistry is?

I love Coney and I enjoy listening to him........but on this? I think I'll take a pass.

Thread Information