+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast
    NYYF HOF

The David Cone said what? Thread

Ok so I had to make this thread. Coney just threw out another gem of a statement.

On the post game show Cone said and I quote "Phil Hughes gets banged."

now normally i wouldn't say anything of it, and just let it go. But this after saying that Ian Kennedy got jerked off... well, for comic relief standpoint, this thread had to be made.
    [B][COLOR=Navy]
    [/COLOR][/B]

Re: The David Cone said what? Thread

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989
    after saying that Ian Kennedy got jerked off...
    Cone must have been flashing back to his off days in the bullpen at Shea.
    Don't tease me, you know what I do for a living.

they need to get rid of all these commentators (minus Singleton) and bring back jim kaat. O'Neill's gee-golly act is growing tired (combined with his stupid attitude with the Hawkins situations), and Cone's diarrhea of the mouth makes me tear my hair out.

I won't say anything negative about Bobby since hes coming back from a tough health situation, and Flaherty is very generic but tolerable.

I miss you kitty

NYYF Triple Crown

great thread. The Kennedy statement he made will be hard to top.

Cone & O'neill are great together.

The night of the rain delay, (I believe) he said that Ian Kennedy was getting "jerked off" in the bullpen. Not jerked around, jerked off.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...tid=1496480823

Released Outright JavyVazquezIsSick's Avatar

I really really like Cone as a commentator.

I love Cone and O'Neill in the booth. It's fun hearing them comment back on the ~96-04 years.

Kaat and Singleton obviously have similar insight, but 96-04 was much more recent and I can remember the exact moments/games they are commenting on.

Addicted Member

the two of them make a great team....cone with the "jokes" and o'neill always with the food lol
    27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPS!

LETS GO YANKEES!!!!!!

NYYF Legend

I find David Cone and Paul O'Neill entertaining. I also think Cone provides some very good points/nuances about the game that we don't get from many of the other broadcasters. Al Leiter is like that too, but sometimes I feel he just talks too much.

Bobby Murcer's voice is synonymus with Yankee games, and Ken Singleton does a very solid job. I view Singleton as textbook. Also really enjoy John Flaherty's logical approach to analysis.

Michael Kay? Ugh.
    GO YANKS
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 8, 9, 10, 15, 16, 20, 23, 32, 37, 42, 44, 46, 49, 51

O'Neill is dreadful. Cone has some good insight and is funny.

It may be me - but sometimes I feel like the broadcast is a Centerstage episode- w/Michael Kay asking Cone and O'Neill or whoever else is in the booth (besides Singleton) questions to try to get them to speak. I think it takes away from the play by play. I like hearing the stories, but I would think eventually this will get old.
    Let's Go Yanks!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS
    Cone & O'neill are great together.
    I agree. I also like Singleton. Not a huge fan of Flaherty (I find his analysis to be way to subjective and usually off the mark, especially for a former catcher) and I find Murcer to be a little boring, although he really does seem like a heck of a nice guy.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989
    Ok so I had to make this thread. Coney just threw out another gem of a statement.

On the post game show Cone said and I quote "Phil Hughes gets banged."

now normally i wouldn't say anything of it, and just let it go. But this after saying that Ian Kennedy got jerked off... well, for comic relief standpoint, this thread had to be made.

I didnt know he said that , but if he did , he needs to get more air time .

I think he will add new meanings to terms like "switch hitting" , "going the other way" , "muscled his way in there" .
    Hes one of those guys you dream about at night, you know? Not in a good way, in a bad way. ............Damon on AJ .

Mystique , Aura and Kate Hudson .

NYYF Legend

I know a lot of you are in love with Murcer (and I feel bad saying this because of his illness), but I think he's by far the worst that YES has to offer.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84
    I know a lot of you are in love with Murcer (and I feel bad saying this because of his illness), but I think he's by far the worst that YES has to offer.
    I agree (as evidenced by my last post). He's a nice guy, but not very interesting, IMO.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Released Outright JavyVazquezIsSick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz
    I agree. I also like Singleton. Not a huge fan of Flaherty (I find his analysis to be way to subjective and usually off the mark, especially for a former catcher) and I find Murcer to be a little boring, although he really does seem like a heck of a nice guy.
    I couldn't agree more, I can't stand him.

Released Outright

I miss Kitty, too. That said, I like Cone and Paulie together as a change of pace once in awhile. Cone is much, much smarter than Al Leiter and much, much less grating. Pauile cracks me up. Often. Last night they were talking about bench jockeying (a lost art, BTW). Anyway, Cone was saying how he yelled at opposing pitchers, trying to rattle them, and then Paulie says, "I remember in Little League when we used to rattle some guys so bad that they'd throw the ball over the screen". After quickly forming an image of the young, probably gangly, taunting, curly-headed Paulie, it made me laugh, I admit.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz
    Got to disagree, Flash is a little stiff but he tries to be one step ahead of the players to let the viewrs know whats going on (reminds me alot of Al Leiter). Murcer is awsome, he is the Rizzuto of this generation.

Quote Originally Posted by JavyVazquezIsSick
    I really really like Cone as a commentator.
    So do I and he's a lot better than Leiter to me.
    Please fire Cashman, so some Yankee fans can have hope again.

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS
    Got to disagree, Flash is a little stiff but he tries to be one step ahead of the players to let the viewrs know whats going on (reminds me alot of Al Leiter). Murcer is awsome, he is the Rizzuto of this generation.
    I love Murcer dearly from those mediocre Yankee days of my youth, but I can't stand him as a broadcaster because he brings very little to the table for me.
    Please fire Cashman, so some Yankee fans can have hope again.

I'm all for Cone and O'neil. Less time I have to hear Kay talk. Cone cuts him off a lot I've noticed. The lighthearted nature in the booth is entertaining, plus you get good analysis of pitcher vs hitter that you just don't get with leiter/ Flaherty.
    Joba's a great reliever with great stuff, but he's not quite at Papelbon's level yet. -Some idiot over on SOSH

Life is short. Drink beer yankeeman61's Avatar

I don't understand the criticism of Murcer. IMO he does a fine job and is far from annoying. If he is not "entertaining" enough then I guess that says something about what people are expecting out of a broadcaster. It could be far worse. We could have a clever and smug Joe Buck-type who is a very good PBP man or a condescending analyst like his partner McCarver.
    (Signature removed by moderator. No animated images allowed in sigs. Feel free to use a conventional, small-size image. Thanks for your understanding.)

Kay is annoying.

Singleton is ok.

Oneill is blah.

Murcer is blah.

Cone is ok.

Leiter is ok.

Flaherty is great.

The best ever was Kaat. I miss kitty.

The best called Yankee game in years was that game Singleton had to do by himself last season.

I really have no use for any of the other guys, outside of Leiter on rare occasion or O'neill when he's mocking Kay.

Thread Information