+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The 2008-09 New Jersey Nets Thread: YES we can

I know we're even more outnumbered here than Devil fans, but we do exist

Come debate burning questions like:

With our lottery pick, do we go for the center with no offensive game, or the point forward with no defense?

Do you think LeBron will like playing with Harris and Sean Williams in a couple years?

Is Lawrence Frank ever going to make VC stop taking terrible shots?

Will today finally be the day that the good lord strikes down Ratner?

NYYF Legend

Re: The 2008-09 New Jersey Nets Thread: YES we can

Ironically, the Knicks had a more successful season than the Nets (in terms of the lottery).

Whats the deal with the Brooklyn Arena? Is there a chance that falls through and the Nets go to The Rock? If so, that would probably be enough to get me more interested in them. I got turned off to them with the entire Brooklyn move.
    New York Yankees: 27 Time World Series Champions!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by njdhockey
    Whats the deal with the Brooklyn Arena? Is there a chance that falls through and the Nets go to The Rock? If so, that would probably be enough to get me more interested in them. I got turned off to them with the entire Brooklyn move.
    I think the Barclays Center is on its deathbed, but who knows. I can definitely see them moving to The Rock...they sure as hell don't want to stay at the Brendan Byrne Arena...er, Continental Airlines Arena, no wait - IZOD Center.

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
    Ironically, the Knicks had a more successful season than the Nets (in terms of the lottery).
    Yeah, we couldn't even tank properly at the end. The Bucks were just that more determined. I'd want one of the shooting guards, but the big men just look horrible.

There's something with the lease that'd hamper moving to Newark in the immediate future. However, the Barclays Center is looking less and less likely by the day. I never believed it'd ever be built though.

The Nets would really be a great fit in Newark. Hopefully it happens in the next few years, and they take the wrecking ball to IZOD.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/200...eek_to_br.html

The owner of the Devils hockey team and Newark Mayor Cory Booker are seeking to assemble a group of investors to buy the Nets and move the basketball team to Newark, people familiar with the effort said.

In recent weeks, Devils owner Jeffrey Vanderbeek has met with Nets owner Bruce Ratner, while Booker has spoken to an official at Ratner's development company, Forest City Ratner Cos., according to three people with direct knowledge of the discussions. The outcome of each talk was characterized as "open-ended." The parties spoke on the condition they not be identified.

The effort to bring the Nets to Newark, where they would play at the Prudential Center along with the Devils, comes amid growing speculation on whether Ratner can complete a $4 billion retail and residential development in Brooklyn, given the deepening crisis in the credit markets.
    Awesome news, I hope they can pull it off.

NYYF Legend

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/200...eek_to_br.html

Awesome news, I hope they can pull it off.
    Please happen . The Nets are the New Jersey team and should play in the new Newark arena. It's a perfect fit.
    UM now, UM always
    #21 - We will never forget you.
    Let's Go Yankees!

Per today's Bergen Record, the Carmelo trade is still possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny
    It would be pretty sweet if they could pull that off.

NYYF Legend

With Kidd gone and the Nets almost certain to go back to the cellar, it'll be fun to see all the bandwagon fans jumping ship

I'm not a fan of the izod center... feels like an airplane hanger inside

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/Ne...ld_Nugget.html

Multiple league sources said the Nets and Nuggets have discussed a blockbuster deal that would bring Carmelo Anthony and Marcus Camby to New Jersey. In return, Denver would get a package that includes Richard Jefferson, Marcus Williams, Keith Van Horn's contract and the Nets' lottery pick. There likely is more involved to make the salaries match up, but the sources said the trade could happen, making Tuesday even more important.

The Nets, in the lottery for the first time since 2001, have only a 1.1 percent chance of getting the top pick and a less than 4 percent chance of jumping into the top three. They just hope they don't fall from their current spot at 10.

Team president Rod Thorn and general manager Kiki Vandeweghe have been gauging interest in Jefferson and Williams as well as their picks since the regular season ended last month.
    New Jersey would be insane not to make that deal.

NYYF Legend

If you're Denver, why do you make this deal? I don't see how this would make my team any more competitive. Plus Denver loses their top rebounder and defensive player in Camby. Just a stupid decisioni overall... the real problem is Kenyon Martin's 15 mil a year contract. Who's the genius who signed that bum to that contract?

If this trade does go down though, good times will be had watching VC and Melo fighting over who gets to shoot the ball. Although, it will prob be Melo b/c VC probably could care less if he gets 5 shots or 30 shots a game as long as someone is cutting his checks

Well, I was asking why on earth New Jersey would do some of the early Kidd proposals. Maybe they ARE desperate, I dunno.

And, that bum is now Rod Thorn's #2.

Quote Originally Posted by chanman7483
    If you're Denver, why do you make this deal? I don't see how this would make my team any more competitive. Plus Denver loses their top rebounder and defensive player in Camby. Just a stupid decisioni overall... the real problem is Kenyon Martin's 15 mil a year contract. Who's the genius who signed that bum to that contract?

If this trade does go down though, good times will be had watching VC and Melo fighting over who gets to shoot the ball. Although, it will prob be Melo b/c VC probably could care less if he gets 5 shots or 30 shots a game as long as someone is cutting his checks
    They need to free up cap space and Mello is a malcontent who just don't give a .................

Can someone fill me in on why the Nets didn't move to the Prudential Center with the Devils?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by CanoForPresident
    They need to free up cap space and Mello is a malcontent who just don't give a .................
    Free up cap space for what? Avoiding the luxury tax? I mean, their net savings aren't really going to be that much... camby's 7-8 mil contract is the only thing they're saving, as RJ and Melos contracts are pretty much a wash. Melo may be a malcontent, but you can't argue with 30 ppg.

Free up cap space for what? Avoiding the luxury tax? I mean, their net savings aren't really going to be that much... camby's 7-8 mil contract is the only thing they're saving, as RJ and Melos contracts are pretty much a wash. Melo may be a malcontent, but you can't argue with 30 ppg.
    I guess you're right. I'm not a Nuggets fan, I was just stating the obvious lol.

Melo got the attitude problem that kills a teams chemistry though. 30 PPG or not, he isn't a winning player.

Quote Originally Posted by CanoForPresident
    Can someone fill me in on why the Nets didn't move to the Prudential Center with the Devils?
    Ratner has pretty much said F U to the fans of NJ since day 1 and wanted to move the team to Brooklyn. His little dream has fallen through and its starting to look more and more likely that the Nets will be at The Rock within years once a new ownership group takes over.

Ratner is a real estate developer who doesn't care about sports, he only bought the team so he could try to develop the Atlantic Yards. He tried gutting the team as soon as he bought it but the fans revolted.

Unfortunately, the Newark Arena deal (which was originally designed for the Nets) wasn't approved in time before Ratner bought the team.

That, more than anything, is why the team has sort of been in limbo the past few years. The Nets became a model franchise in the brief period that YankeeNets owned the team. Get Vanderbeek in charge of the team, bring in Carmelo, and there should be some smooth sailing.

RJ traded for Yi and Bobby Simmons today.

NYYF Legend

RJ traded for Yi and Bobby Simmons today.
    The LBJ sweepstakes have begun

I'm a bad Nets fan. I never had enough time to watch them a lot since its during the hockey season and I have other things going. Then when Ratner announced the wanted to move the team, I stopped following them completely. Since it appears they are going to end up staying in NJ and moving to the Rock I am going to try to get back into them.

Hopefully they draft well with their two first round picks. I'm not sure what there needs are but I'll be hoping that they make the right selections. For those of you that follow them closer, what are your opinions on the RJ trade? Good or bad?

I am a big Beastie Boys fan and knew that Adam Yauch (MCA) made a documentary called, "Gunnin for That #1 Spot" about the pressure of making it big that elite high school players feel. I think he shot it two years ago and 3 of the guys in it are projected to go in the top 10 this draft. I think it comes out tomorrow night, so some of you might want to check that out. I'll probably try to go see it or I'll try to download a bootleg. Seems like an interesting film.

NYYF Legend

Pretty much. Jay-Z is gonna work his magic .

I have no idea about the RJ trade. I'm kind of sad becaues I knew someone who was his personal trainer. Anyone know anything about the Milwaukee guys besides the fact that one has an expiring contract for the convenient year the LBJ and DWade are both likely going to be FA's???
    UM now, UM always
    #21 - We will never forget you.
    Let's Go Yankees!

I think he will definitely be playing in New York City.
    The only question is whether it will be Manhattan or Brooklyn.

It's far from certain whether the team moves to Brooklyn. I personally think LeBron won't opt out, NY fans have a tendency to go crazy with these kinds of rumors.

Devoted Member

Nets need to ink Nachbar..Krstic should be back. Diop is gone already.

Thread Information