+ Reply to Thread
    One of the Originals CalifYanksFan's Avatar

Mike Cameron 8th Mariner On All-Star Squad!

Cameron is eighth Mariner invited to All-Star game
    July 08, 2001
    Los Angeles (AP) Ė Outfielder Mike Cameron was added to the AL roster, giving the host Seattle Mariners eight players in Tuesday nightís game at Safeco Field, the most for one team in 41 years.

Vaughn withdrew Sunday because of a strained right hamstring, leaving the Devil Rays, whose 27-61 record is baseballís worst, without an All-Star.

The Mariners, whose 62-24 record entering Sundayís game at Los Angeles was baseballís best by far, have the most All-Stars since the Pittsburgh Pirates had eight in 1960. Seattle has the most for an AL team since the New York Yankees had nine in 1958.

The Marinersí previous high was five in both 1996 and 1997.

The 28-year-old Cameron, who entered Sundayís action hitting .275 with 15 homers and 58 RBIs, will be playing in his first All-Star game. The Mariners acquired him from the Cincinnati Reds in the Ken Griffey Jr., trade on Feb. 10 last year.

Cameron hit .267 with 19 homers and 78 RBIs for the Mariners last season.

In his first at-bat after it was announced he was an All-Star, Cameron tripled off Los Angeles left-hander Jeff Williams in the sixth inning and scored on a sacrifice fly by Ed Sprague, giving the Mariners a 3-1 lead.

New York Yankees manager Joe Torre selected Seattle reliever Jeff Nelson to the team Saturday as a replacement for Yankees reliever Mariano Rivera, who is skipping the game to rest an inflamed ankle. Rivera was among seven Yankees selected by Torre.

Four Mariners were elected to start: first baseman John Olerud, second baseman Bret Boone, outfielder Ichiro Suzuki and designated hitter Edgar Martinez. Pitchers Freddy Garcia and Kazuhiro Sasaki were picked among the original reserves.
    MSG Network

Now maybe the M's will quit bitching about Joe selecting his guys.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    Chris Russo is a phoney unless he rips Joe for having eight Mariners on the All Star team.

West Milford NJ- Hangin with the Bears in my Yard!!!
    What a crock!! Cameron is at best a decent player. Not an all star!!

Can't wait to call Dog and rip into that fool!!!!

NYYF Triple Crown

Mcgriff should have gone in Vaughn's place not Cameron!!!

NYYF Legend

The m's have the best record and its being played in seattle. Let them celebrate mid-season while the Yanks gear up for a strong 2nd half. By the way, maybe the media can get off of Joe's ass now.

Originally posted by 2JAY
    By the way, maybe the media can get off of Joe's ass now.
    Not going to happen..
    The media HATE NY...but hey,any 'suprise' team and it's ok. As long as it isnt NY...

Cameron isn't a decent player, he is not a good baseball player.
    Harry the K's Legends: 2009 Champs, 2010 Ruth Division Champions

R.I.P Harry Kalas...Say hi to whitey for me

Isn't it a league rule that every team must be respresented by at least one player at the All Star game? I've always been under the impression that this was the case and am surprised that McGriff wasn't chosen instead.

James

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar
    Originally posted by Stick Michael
    Isn't it a league rule that every team must be respresented by at least one player at the All Star game? I've always been under the impression that this was the case and am surprised that McGriff wasn't chosen instead.

James
    I hate this rule. The only team that should have one is the host city. I know Ripken got voted in, but if he didn't and he wasn't retiring, why does Baltimore deserve a player? They have no one having an All Star year!

Thread Information