+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Alan Horne hurt tonight 4/10

Quote Originally Posted by 74nole
    Talked with Alan today. He threw the planned work-out at 60' and said everything went well. He said his arm was strong and felt good but he was going to have to be careful getting the biceps stretched back out and up to speed--he was definately encouraged I think as to how his day went.
    Great news, thanks as always for the update Mr. Horne.

The thing about these slight tears is they often happen to everyone. Sometimes, position players can get away with it because they don't put the same strain on their bodies. However, I talked to an athletic trainer about a week ago who said in the sports of baseball and softball, about 90% of players in the game will experience at least a small tear of some kind in their first couple years of playing. It's natural, and in the end, it all builds up stronger if it was a minor tear. Some players don't even notice the tear, others, like Alan, have to put an incredible amount of stress on that tear every day.

Good to hear the recovery is moving along. Can't wait to see what Alan can do when he eventually gets that call.

Addicted Member

We do appreciate the words of encouragement, guys. Actually Alan ended up throwing on back to back days--Friday and Saturday--and his arm felt strong both days. I realize that it's just flat-ground throwing sessions, but he was encouraged by both of them. I don't have anything for time-lines yet as I'm sure that's the next question coming. He'll throw again Monday. I'll do my best to keep ya'll up to speed.

Mr. Horne,

Can you explain these "throwing sessions". How many throws is it usually and how hard are they asking Alan to throw? Is it like soft toss or more going thru the mechanics and letting natural force take it across?

Thanks,

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by groundhoggator
    Mr. Horne,

Can you explain these "throwing sessions". How many throws is it usually and how hard are they asking Alan to throw? Is it like soft toss or more going thru the mechanics and letting natural force take it across?

Thanks,
    groundh-

I know right now the sessions are flat-ground sessions, starting out basically just playing catch and seeing what kind of reaction his arm gives him. I also know the concern in the throwing motion is at the point of release when he gets at complete extension out front to " finish" the throw. And obviously, he has to be in his normal throwing motion and/or mechanics or they would shut it down. (Anything but his normal throwing motion would only cause more problems down the road.) Past that, I'd be speculating to try and answer your question. I don't really know how many throws or actually how hard they have him throwing per session. Understand, I'll talk with Alan about this stuff all he wants to, but I try to stay away from hammering him with questions--he lives it every day, so if he chooses not to get real specific I'll generally leave it alone. Fortunately though, he does a pretty good job of not leaving me in the dark.
    Last edited by 74nole; 04-28-08 at 08:14 AM.

NYYF Legend

We do appreciate the words of encouragement, guys. Actually Alan ended up throwing on back to back days--Friday and Saturday--and his arm felt strong both days. I realize that it's just flat-ground throwing sessions, but he was encouraged by both of them. I don't have anything for time-lines yet as I'm sure that's the next question coming. He'll throw again Monday. I'll do my best to keep ya'll up to speed.
    Is the plan to have Alan increase the distance of his flat-ground throwing program to say 90-120 feet, before getting on a mound? I was under the impression that first some kind of arm strength is built up on flat ground before getting on the mound.

Also, when Alan does get on the mound, will he be limited to throwing fastballs only for a while?

Thanks.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007
    Is the plan to have Alan increase the distance of his flat-ground throwing program to say 90-120 feet, before getting on a mound? I was under the impression that first some kind of arm strength is built up on flat ground before getting on the mound.

Also, when Alan does get on the mound, will he be limited to throwing fastballs only for a while?

Thanks.
    mbn-

I would think that your questions are pretty much in line for the throwing protocal that's in front of Alan, but like I said, I don't have expected time-lines or work-out specifics at this point. Again, as Alan let's me know what he's doing, I'll do my best to keep ya'll up to speed.

Devoted Member

thanks mr horne for the updates

NYYF Legend

mbn-

I would think that your questions are pretty much in line for the throwing protocal that's in front of Alan, but like I said, I don't have expected time-lines or work-out specifics at this point. Again, as Alan let's me know what he's doing, I'll do my best to keep ya'll up to speed.
    Much appreciated Mr. Horne.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF MVP

this is cool, De La Rosa's agent and Alan Horne's father!

Addicted Member

Talked with Alan again today. Everything with the re-hab seems to be going well and according to the Yankees schedule. To try and answer some of the recent questions that have poped up about his throwing...

Alan said today that he threw 50 throws from 90'. Should do that again tomorrow, and move back to 120' on Thursday.Flat ground work on his secondary pitches should also begin this week--barring unforeseen complications. At this point Alan says that his arm feels strong but knows he very much has to stretch the biceps back out to game speed at a prescribed rate. If everything continues to go well he said he should throw off of the mound next Tuesday. Looking for good things ahead.

Good news, thanks Mr. H.

NYYF Legend

Thanks as always for the news . Sounds like the rehab is going smoothly.
    UM now, UM always
    #21 - We will never forget you.
    Let's Go Yankees!

NYYF Legend

Talked with Alan again today. Everything with the re-hab seems to be going well and according to the Yankees schedule. To try and answer some of the recent questions that have poped up about his throwing...

Alan said today that he threw 50 throws from 90'. Should do that again tomorrow, and move back to 120' on Thursday.Flat ground work on his secondary pitches should also begin this week--barring unforeseen complications. At this point Alan says that his arm feels strong but knows he very much has to stretch the biceps back out to game speed at a prescribed rate. If everything continues to go well he said he should throw off of the mound next Tuesday. Looking for good things ahead.
    Encouraging news indeed.

Thanks for the updates.

Addicted Member

Talked with Alan again today. He went through his throwing regiment and said everything went well, going on to say he felt like his arm was getting stronger. Actually he said that it felt the best today that it has since he started back throwing. Hoping for continued success through-out the re-hab process to take him back to game speed.

Released Outright CallOfTheCrow's Avatar

Thanks for the update, Mr. Horne. Sounds good.

When is he expected to start throwing from a mound?

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by CallOfTheCrow
    Thanks for the update, Mr. Horne. Sounds good.

When is he expected to start throwing from a mound?
    Yesterday he told me if everything goes as planned he should throw off of the mound this coming Tuesday.

Released Outright CallOfTheCrow's Avatar

Very good news. Let's all hope everything goes according to plan then.

It makes you wonder. If he'd been pitching well & didn't get hurt, would he get a start sooner then later with the Yanks?

Thanks Mr. Horne for the updates

NYYF Legend

Yesterday he told me if everything goes as planned he should throw off of the mound this coming Tuesday.
    Pure speculation on my part, but...............

Let's say all goes well on Tuesday. Then another mound session on Friday. Then a 3rd one, for up to 40 pitches, on the following Wednesday. Then he gets into a game, on a pitch count (45-50) the following Monday. That would be May 19th, if my process is correct.

What do you think, Mr. Horne?

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by mbn007
    Pure speculation on my part, but...............

Let's say all goes well on Tuesday. Then another mound session on Friday. Then a 3rd one, for up to 40 pitches, on the following Wednesday. Then he gets into a game, on a pitch count (45-50) the following Monday. That would be May 19th, if my process is correct.

What do you think, Mr. Horne?
    mbn-

Can't argue your projections at all, they're reasonable---but I really don't try to project that, that's the Yankees job. My first question is always how did the arm re-act?, (and to Alan--how do you feel with it?) All these guys by now know their on body better than anybody--if they're smart, they are surely listening to what it tells them.

NYYF Legend

mbn-

Can't argue your projections at all, they're reasonable---but I really don't try to project that, that's the Yankees job. My first question is always how did the arm re-act?, (and to Alan--how do you feel with it?) All these guys by now know their on body better than anybody--if they're smart, they are surely listening to what it tells them.
    I understand.

I was just trying to figure out what would be most logical if he does hit the mound this coming Tuesday. and there are no setbacks along teh way. My point was that we are still 2 weeks away from seeing him back on the hill in a game.

At least.

mbn-

Thanks, Mr H - I'm sure Alan's aware of the Yankees' need for starters, so it must be tempting to want to rush back - and of course that's the last thing we need him to do

Addicted Member

Thanks for the update, Mr. Horne. Can't wait to see you on YES, when Alan starts in the show.

Addicted Member

Talked with Alan today. He threw his work-out from 120' and said he "let it loose pretty good". He said his arm felt good and further noted that this re-hab is really making him stay aware of every aspect of his mechanics--which is a good thing. Alan went on to say that he also threw all his secondary pitches on flat ground along with his dry-side, and everything was fine. Ground gained with no complications is a good day.

If I were Horne Id be really frustrated. He probably would be starting tomorrow in New York if not for this injury...

Thread Information