+ Reply to Thread
    Smashed 5 cellphones due to... Espinosa's Glasses's Avatar

Anyone know anything bout shoulder injuries? Please step in.

I have a double jointed shoulder... The bone pops out and right back in every now and again since I was very young... It was always painless...

However... now... I get a pain in my lat. delt pretty bad... for instance... it started last year while benching... now I always avoided bench my whole life... my max never topped 225 cause I was always afraid that something was going to go wrong... I ususally pushups with my feet elevated to keep me from feeling any pain...

I just started warming up my arm for baseball... I can hit cutoffs from the outfiled effortlessly for about 10 throws... then I get the sharp pain badly... and on shoulder days... forget it... I just fight through 4 sets of pain in that muscle... (however, I have noticed that when I work the post. delts the pain subsides... thats usually the next day when I do lying rows for my back)... It is this ridiculous stabbing pain.

but then the day after that or later that day when I start throwing again... the pain comes back...

On off days... it doesn't hurt at all... except if I sleep on it wrong... I wake up in pain... but the pain subsides when I change sleeping positions...

Does this sound like anything to anyone... as of now I can't go to the docs... I have no insurance...

Actually woke up from a sleep last night where I slept on the shoulder... it is killllling me.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Anyone know anything bout shoulder injuries? Please step in.

i have some shoulder damage from Caddying for years and years as a kid. I had similar problems with sharp pains shooting up my back below my shoulder blade when i would raise it.

I sleep on my stomach with one arm up under my pillow and i was told that can cause the tendons in your shoulder to stretch for long peroids time and they can wear down. THis can cause bone on bone contact when the shoulder rotates in certain ways. ****disclaimer*** im no doctor, and i know little anatomy but this is what i was told. **** the shoulder joint is a ball and socket with 4 tendons at NW NE SW and SE on a map. That allows your shoulder to rotate forward and backward but not go all the way around. What my problem was, was the two upper tendons had been beaten from carrying golf bags around all day and when i would sleep with my arm "above" my head, it would pinch the top two tendons between the ball and socket. That caused them to get bruised, and if i left it for long enough while sleeping, then can become "stuck"...not literally, they just cant stretch as far, which caused problems with lifting my arm over my head.

I never experienced pain caddying, because the bags just rested on the tendons and i rarely lifted my arm over my shoulder. But sometimes now if i move my right shoulder in a way that does not mirror my left hsoulder movement, it wrecks my neck, i guess the muscles in my back and neck have compensated for bruised or weakened shoulder tendons....

i have no idea how to fix it, but ive found sleep in different ways helps, so does stretching obviously.
    Again im no doctor, but thats my shoulder pain story....i didnt see a doctor either, i just be sure to stretch it out over my head before throwing anything.

Also, when you are throwing, be sure to align your body properly. Dont stand square to your target and whip your arm. take a step or a crow hop, turn your body, and use your arm as a lever to the big muscles, shoulders, chest, and legs.
    If you dont plan on winning, you might as well just go home -Derek Jeter

Thanks alot man.
    I know what you are saying with the sleep... It if I somehow turn over on my shoulder... I am done for the next day... I try to lay on my back... but I toss alot...

As for throwing baseballs... So far, all we did was practice... so I constantly find myself just whipping the ball in and not really using my legs at all... and believe me I know thats a problem... its really a practice habit.

Thanks so much really though for the sleep tips... There was a time where I couldn't sleep with my arm not above my... and alot of the time when I would sleep with my arm up... my gf laid or does lay on my shoulder... that might have to stop I guess.

NYYF Legend

Medical advice on an internet message board is generally not the best idea.

Assuming the pain is in one shoulder (not both), you don't have a history of autoimmune conditions, you don't have any other joint pain, and you're not too old, my best guess (and it's purely a guess) would be a chronic bursitis which is an inflammation of the bursa in the shoulder. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subacromial_bursitis

Here's some tips on how to reduce the pain: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/phano102.htm

I'm wondering if maybe you have a torn labrum (the capsule that goes around the ball and socket joint). The sharp, stabbing pain sounds like more than bursitis to me, more than tendonitis maybe. Or maybe just a severe case of tendonitis.

I am actually having surgery in a couple months because of shoulder instability. And mine doesn't even pop out of place, it just hurts and an MRI showed rotator cuff tendon degeneration from the tendons getting pinched when I do overhead stuff.

I hope you are able to see a doctor soon. In the meantime, I'd go really light on shoulder weights, do some easy rotator cuff exercises, and try not to do any overhead motions.

I pretty much know what I'm talking about here, as a person who has a shoulder problem, plus I'm a certified athletic trainer. Load up on ice and advil too. Good luck!
    "Maybe someday you'll be our shortstop and your number will hang out here (in Monument Park),'" recalled Cashman. "He's the only one I ever said that to, and it's actually going to happen."

I actually threw today.. Painfully from long range... No pain at all from short range... I hope its not what you say... I will be able to see a doc in a couple of weeks...

And not only does it pop out of place and right back in... when I bench press... I mean... when the bar comes to the top... it cracks like 2 or 3 times... and its not really that painful... just doesn't feel right

Thanks for the help.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by Espinosa's Glasses
    I actually threw today.. Painfully from long range... No pain at all from short range... I hope its not what you say... I will be able to see a doc in a couple of weeks...

And not only does it pop out of place and right back in... when I bench press... I mean... when the bar comes to the top... it cracks like 2 or 3 times... and its not really that painful... just doesn't feel right

Thanks for the help.
    Have you seen an ortho yet? Seems to me like you should see someone before you do anymore damage to it.

My shoulder does the same thing (pops sometimes) and about 5 years I fell at a baseball game and dislocated it - ended up in a sling for several weeks. It still bothers me but I went through a lot of PT to help it along.

Good luck. Get it looked at (IMO).

For what it's worth, when my shoulder problem was diagnosed (I have pain in the back of my shoulder, I think the same area as you) the doctor told me not to do any more chest exercises. I guess it pulls the shoulder forward too much if you work your chest, and if there's a problem in the back of the shoulder it can make it worse. Or if there's a tear, it could possibly tear it more.
    "Maybe someday you'll be our shortstop and your number will hang out here (in Monument Park),'" recalled Cashman. "He's the only one I ever said that to, and it's actually going to happen."

Bump...I was just curious to find out if you know what's wrong with your shoulder now?

Thread Information