+ Reply to Thread
Page 68 of 83 FirstFirst ... 18 58 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 78 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 2068

Re: The Former Yankee Performance Thread v4.0

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    Montero still with a sub-600 OPS and negative WAR.

Meanwhile, Eric Wedge is starting to platoon Montero with Kelly freaking Shoppach and Mariners catching prospect Mike Zunino is doing pretty well in AAA. How great would it be if the stars align and we re-acquire Montero at a discount?
    Why would it be great to re-acquire a guy who isn't cutting it?
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Why would it be great to re-acquire a guy who isn't cutting it?
    Because I believe that talent hasn't evaporated. Montero's approach is godawful right now and he's pressing. The Mariners FO people should understand that, but three things make me think they MIGHT be willing to sell low on him:

1. They could feel like Montero was acquired with house money, given the injury to Pineda. Purely psychological, but I imagine teams are quicker to cut ties with players when they don't feel like they "gave up" as much to acquire them (in retrospect).
    2. They have a catcher in the minors that is playing well.
    3. Their experience with the ever-disappointing Justin Smoak may skew their perception of Montero's ability, similar to how some believe the Igawa experience influenced how the Yankees evaluated Darvish.

I still think Montero is an elite talent. I'd love it if the Mariners gave up on him, but I bet there would still be a large number of AL teams lining up to take him. I do believe the question about whether he can stick at catcher has been answered - at best, he can be a Napoli-type DH/catcher/1B.

Russell Martin's on fire. So much for he and Swisher sucking.

Quote Originally Posted by ArodEra View Post
    Russell Martin's on fire.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Eh, if Cervelli hadn't gotten injured, nobody would miss Martin. Would I love him for the next six weeks? Sure, but I'm still glad to not have that contract on the books for this year & next.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan61 View Post
    Eh, if Cervelli hadn't gotten injured, nobody would miss Martin. Would I love him for the next six weeks? Sure, but I'm still glad to not have that contract on the books for this year & next.
    And Ichiro's contract on our books is better?

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    And Ichiro's contract on our books is better?
    Straw man argument. What on earth does Ichiro have to do with anything? Incidentally, I'm not crazy about Ichiro's contract either, but they play different positions, are totally different players, and it didn't come down to a Martin-or-Ichiro dichotomy this winter. Martin's contract is bloated on its own merit, regardless of other players' bloated contrasts.

Straw man argument. What on earth does Ichiro have to do with anything? Incidentally, I'm not crazy about Ichiro's contract either, but they play different positions, are totally different players, and it didn't come down to a Martin-or-Ichiro dichotomy this winter. Martin's contract is bloated on its own merit, regardless of other players' bloated contrasts.
    Eh. It's overpriced, but you make it sound like it's 5/95 or something. It's not a contract that would hamstring the team. I didn't think it was necessarily wrong to let him go, but I wouldn't have thought it wrong to sign him, either.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

No. A straw man would be comparing to ARod or another high priced player who has been long signed. Both Ichiro and Martin were free agents. Both signed two year deals, both for similar money. (Martin higher for sure, by $2M per season.)

It is a fair question to ask about which player to invest in. You (nor I) know if it came down to "one or the other".

BOTH players are overpaid, but it is a fair question to ask....which position is more fungible, etc.

Personally, I would have retained Martin and let Ichiro walk. Two main reasons....Ichiro is pushing 40, Martin only 30. That, and OF is easier to backfill than Catcher.

Let's see how it plays out.
    Goin for 2<strike>7</strike>8!

NYYF Legend

Still love Jason....42-year-old Jason Giambi, on headfirst slide into first base: "I felt like Mr. Potato Head. My parts were going everywhere."
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I ended up where I need to be.

i cant stop laughing. he almost stopped sliding before he hit the bag

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nnysiny View Post
    i cant stop laughing. he almost stopped sliding before he hit the bag
    I smile every time I watch it.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I ended up where I need to be.

Melky without the steroids is a pretty awful ball player it seems

NYYF Cy Young

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb says Jose Contreras is back from Tommy John surgery in less than a year.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    So you mean, he's basically Melky Cabrera again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
    He's the poster boy for why all marginal ballplayers should take PEDs.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Cy Young

Amazing stat that they flashed on the board today: Bartolo Colon has only given up one walk all season.
    All the fat guys watch me & say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer. Mickey Lolich

Jesus Montero is batting .200/.250/.379/.579 and is 0-for-11 in throwing out runners. hes almost in Melky Cabrera territory

NYYF Cy Young

I watched the Matsui retirement ceremony they had at the Tokyo dome last night... it was really cool
    The Bob Loblaw Law Blog

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    I watched the Matsui retirement ceremony they had at the Tokyo dome last night... it was really cool
    of topic but this leads me to wonder, In Japan who is a bigger star Hideki Matsui or Ichiro Suzuki??? Ichiro to me seems like the most successful Japanese player (stat wise) to play in MLB but Matsui is like a rock star in Japan
    The real reason why the Yankees keep winning is cause the other team can't stop staring at the damn pinstripes

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    of topic but this leads me to wonder, In Japan who is a bigger star Hideki Matsui or Ichiro Suzuki??? Ichiro to me seems like the most successful Japanese player (stat wise) to play in MLB but Matsui is like a rock star in Japan
    Matsui played with the Yankees, and won a World Series.

Ichiro was the first big Japanese position player to star in the majors.

I think it goes to Matsui. I don't live in Japan, but I'd say that playing for the Yankees, hitting home runs, and winning a WS MVP puts you on top.
    Yes, I'm a girl.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by BronxYanks45 View Post
    Hmm well I'm not from Japan but I've always followed NPB pretty closely, and the feeling I've always gotten is that Ichiro is definitely respected and thought of as the superior player, but Matsui seems to be a bit more "loved"

so idk! It could go either way
    The Bob Loblaw Law Blog

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by AuroraBomberalis View Post
    Matsui played with the Yankees, and won a World Series.

Ichiro was the first big Japanese position player to star in the majors.

I think it goes to Matsui. I don't live in Japan, but I'd say that playing for the Yankees, hitting home runs, and winning a WS MVP puts you on top.
    No, Ichiro is more famous in Japan. Matsui gets lots of support because of his original team (Giants) but no baseball player really comes close to Ichiro in Japan.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Hmm well I'm not from Japan but I've always followed NPB pretty closely, and the feeling I've always gotten is that Ichiro is definitely respected and thought of as the superior player, but Matsui seems to be a bit more "loved"

so idk! It could go either way
    Matsui looks a bit mover "loved" because the Giants (not the MLB Giants) have the largest fan base in Japan. But to the public Ichiro definitely is more famous. He has much more commercial and his hit record was much much much bigger news back then. Another factor was that Matsui was a HR hitter in Japan but he proved that his power couldn't really translate to MLB, while Ichiro proved that his skill set was one of the best in MLB. Ichiro showed that he didn't only succeed in MLB, but was one of the best in the highest league. The Japanese are proud of that.

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

From the article on Paul Olden (Yankees public address announcer) linked on the NYYFans homepage.

“I’m not a screamer,” Mr. Olden said. Nice and easy does it. But he indulges himself when it comes to one of his favorite names, that of the Yankees second baseman, Robinson Cano.
    “It’s the only name that I elongate a little bit,” he said. “I don’t do it extremely long: R-r-robinson Cano. It comes out naturally: ‘Playing second base for the Yankees, No. 24.’ I say it ‘Twenty Fourrr.’ The ‘four’ kind of goes into Robinson very smoothly.
    “I had to stop doing it last year because — I’m not going to name names, but there was a player on the Yankees who thought, ‘If you do a special announcement for his name, why not for mine?’ We weren’t going to do it for anybody else, so I stopped doing it entirely. That player’s not with the Yankees anymore, so I’m back to doing it.”
    Any guesses who the complainer was?
    2014 - New Team, New Result

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Thread Information