+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 105 FirstFirst ... 9 49 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 69 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 2603

Re: The Former Yankee Performance Thread v4.0

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    I think he was a 4th or 5th outfielder type who transformed himself into an all-star by taking PEDs.
    Not with the Braves he wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    You don't even know when he started juicing?
    Of course not. But since I know he did start juicing, I have every reason to look askance at his sudden resurgence with the Royals after having been released by the Braves. I don't see any reason to take that seriously as evidence that he can play without PEDs.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Not with the Braves he wasn't.

Of course not. But since I know he did start juicing, I have every reason to look askance at his sudden resurgence with the Royals after having been released by the Braves. I don't see any reason to take that seriously as evidence that he can play without PEDs.
    You can take it anyway you want, but I think he's still a major league player whether as a 4th outfielder or not. By the way, I think juicing for younger players is overrated.
    Poor ownership can hold a baseball team down for years!

You can take it anyway you want, but I think he's still a major league player whether as a 4th outfielder or not. By the way, I think juicing for younger players is overrated.
    Certainly you're free to think so. There's just no evidence of it.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Certainly you're free to think so. There's just no evidence of it.
    To me there is evidence, but have it your own way pal.

roids wasn't the reason he started taking roids and working on his game. he got motivated and THEN the roids happened, the motivation is the deciding factor.

dude was legitimately fat on the braves.

the benefit of roids also stays there at least for younger players
    always reasonable

To me there is evidence, but have it your own way pal.
    I'm not your pal and don't be condescending, please.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    roids wasn't the reason he started taking roids and working on his game. he got motivated and THEN the roids happened, the motivation is the deciding factor.

dude was legitimately fat on the braves.

the benefit of roids also stays there at least for younger players
    Or maybe not, we really don't know. I wouldn't expect anything from him until I saw him play when I knew he was roid-free.
    - Barry Manilow

I'm heartbroken.

Or maybe not, we really don't know. I wouldn't expect anything from him until I saw him play when I knew he was roid-free.
    do you seriously dispute the fact that his gain in motivation is a key marker in his performance.
    always reasonable

do you seriously dispute the fact that his gain in motivation is a key marker in his performance.
    I don't know how much difference it would have made without the PEDs.
    - Barry Manilow

historic analysis of ped vs performance would point you to a direction contrary to your mythological understanding of roids
    always reasonable

historic analysis of ped vs performance would point you to a direction contrary to your mythological understanding of roids
    I have no idea what that means.

Nothing mythological about my understanding about roids. In this case, I think Melky's juicing has a clearer causal relationship to his performance than his motivation does.
    - Barry Manilow

ESPN recently had a story about a career minor league pitcher (the name slips my mind) whose fastball topped out in the high 80's. He was plenty motivated but simply lacked the talent. As a last resort he started taking PEDs and gained 5MPH on his fastball. That got him a 5 year major league career that he would not have had without PEDs. I never bought the narrative that Melky's dramatic performance improvement was due to "motivation" and "not partying as much". I always suspected PEDs and unfortunately that opinion was validated. So while it helps to be motivated, the reality is Melky was cheating.

I don't buy that Melky went from out of baseball to an MVP candidate exclusively because of PEDs. I'm sure that they helped, but it's not unreasonable that he did start working harder as well. I don't think that there's any drug that, on its own, will turn a guy from an 83 OPS+ hitter into a 158 OPS+ hitter.

the point is that the roids doesn't add that much to his talent, and even if it did, the effects will stay in the form of muscles gained.
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by RenoHightower View Post
    I don't buy that Melky went from out of baseball to an MVP candidate exclusively because of PEDs. I'm sure that they helped, but it's not unreasonable that he did start working harder as well. I don't think that there's any drug that, on its own, will turn a guy from an 83 OPS+ hitter into a 158 OPS+ hitter.
    Pre steriod era I wonder how many players in their age 28 season improved from an 83 OPS+ hitter to a 158 OPS+? I know the moneyball crowd led by Bill James is working overtime to down play the benefit of PEDs, but I'm not buying it. I think its all related to their foolish narrative that batting average, stealing bases, moving runners, and making contact, etc. is not important. Pre Steriod era those skill sets were important and moving forward they will increase in importance as the game is cleaned up.

It may well not have been exclusively PEDs, but that doesn't mean that motivation alone would have been sufficient, either. I'm not sure I can point to any cases where motivation alone has turned a guy from an 83 OPS+ hitter into a 158 OPS+ hitter, either.
    - Barry Manilow

he is not as bad as 83 ops+, and he'll keep his gained performance from drawgs
    always reasonable

It may well not have been exclusively PEDs, but that doesn't mean that motivation alone would have been sufficient, either. I'm not sure I can point to any cases where motivation alone has turned a guy from an 83 OPS+ hitter into a 158 OPS+ hitter, either.
    As I said, I'm sure they helped. Furthermoe, I don't anticipate Cabrera ever hitting at that level again, with or without PEDs. I just don't think it's impossible that working harder/maturity/natural development might have also contributed to his improvement.

With NYY/ATL, when I think all agree he was not on steroids, in 2400 AB he put up .267 / .328 / .379.

Suddenly at age 26 he starts PEDs and goes .322 / .360 / .489 over his next 1200 AB.

I feel pretty confident that while I'm sure he worked harder the drugs were the key difference. If all it took was folks with a strong talent base to get motivated PEDs wouldn't be so rampant.

Whats with the roids PR campaign? Did you hand out BALCO syringes to trick-or-treaters last night?

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    With NYY/ATL, when I think all agree he was not on steroids, in 2400 AB he put up .267 / .328 / .379.

Suddenly at age 26 he starts PEDs and goes .322 / .360 / .489 over his next 1200 AB.

I feel pretty confident that while I'm sure he worked harder the drugs were the key difference. If all it took was folks with a strong talent base to get motivated PEDs wouldn't be so rampant.

Whats with the roids PR campaign? Did you hand out BALCO syringes to trick-or-treaters last night?
    If all it took to go from "not a professional baseball player" to "one of the very best hitters in the league" was PEDs, they'd be a hell of a lot more rampant. If I started juicing, could I turn myself into a major leaguer?

No one is saying that hard work turned him into a great player all by itself, but the fact is that he did start working out more and his coaches were lauding his improved effort and training. I just don't think that there is a drug that, all by itself, can account for the improvement in Melky's performance. If there were, guys like Ozzie Canseco probably would have been a lot better.

If all it took to go from "not a professional baseball player" to "one of the very best hitters in the league" was PEDs, they'd be a hell of a lot more rampant. If I started juicing, could I turn myself into a major leaguer?

No one is saying that hard work turned him into a great player all by itself, but the fact is that he did start working out more and his coaches were lauding his improved effort and training. I just don't think that there is a drug that, all by itself, can account for the improvement in Melky's performance. If there were, guys like Ozzie Canseco probably would have been a lot better.
    I can say all the same things about motivation that you say about PEDs.

I'm perfectly willing to believe that neither one alone would have been sufficient. We'll see how far motivation alone will take him.
    - Barry Manilow

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
    -- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why the hyperbole? Never said that John Doe could ingest PEDs and put up MVP-like numbers.

But yeah, I don't think it's a stretch to think that a pretty terrible ballplayer that became an MVP-candidate at the drop of a hat was probably more influenced by his PED usage than by the Richard Simmons inspirational videos he started watching.

I can say all the same things about motivation that you say about PEDs.

I'm perfectly willing to believe that neither one alone would have been sufficient. We'll see how far motivation alone will take him.
    steroid muscle is still there for a few years at least. he's a young guy

also, the steroid scandal thing is very dramatic and we do not know its effects on him.

nevertheless, the idea that steroids is magical is mistaken. most studies peg the effect at around 50 to 100 points of ops.
    always reasonable

Thread Information