+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

Various "experts" 2008 MLB prediction thread

Because I have nowhere else to put it:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....html#?eref=T1

Verducci picks the Yanks to win the division..Tigers to win it all.

Olney in his chat today picked the Yanks to win the East and the Indians to win it all.

The below SI "scouting reports" has the Yanks finishing with the top record in baseball

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...x.html?eref=T1 Click on the team to read the full scouting report.

Post all expert predictions in here.

Released Outright CallOfTheCrow's Avatar

Re: Various "experts" 2008 MLB prediction thread

lol @ tigers winning it all. They need some major help in that pen & for every key cog in their starting lineup to avoid the DL at all costs for that to be likely.

Sure, the Tigers improved, but there's still plenty of questions about them to be answered. They're just this year's trendy pick.

But...but...I thought everyone was biased against the Yankees?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ngruz25
    But...but...I thought everyone was biased against the Yankees?
    But...but...I thought you people have your own thread to troll in.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by CallOfTheCrow
    lol @ tigers winning it all. They need some major help in that pen & for every key cog in their starting lineup to avoid the DL at all costs for that to be likely.
    Couldn't we say that about the Yankees (and just about any other powerhouse contender) also?

I will say this, back in the winter I thought I would be sick to my stomach with all the preseason picks Red Sox love and hate on the Yankees.
    I have to admit, thus far I have been wrong.
    Most of the experts picks are quite reasonable, even if varied, and they seem to be justifying their feelings.

In a strange twist, the only picks I found to be uproarious and without any merit are those of a NY writer, Bill Madden.
    He picks the Blue Jays to win the East, and the Yankees not only to finish out of the playoffs, but to finish with a 84-78 record. Barely above .500.

That was the only time to Looked at anything thus far with wide eyes and asked "are you for real?" Everything else, be it Yankees or Red Sox picks and WS picks as well, have been reasonable.
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

NYYF Legend

Dammit. I don't like when analysts pick the Yankees to win anything...that hasn't resulted in much luck as of late. I preferred going into this as the underdogs.

The Tigers aren't winning it all, but sometimes it's hard to go against what things look like on paper.

You know me: down with OBP jeterismyhomeboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sjb23
    Couldn't we say that about the Yankees (and just about any other powerhouse contender) also?
    Well, here's the thing: most other contenders have these awesome things called "farm teams." Detroit sold theirs. The only contributor who would not be replacement level is probably Rick Porcello, and while the kid is very special, if he's in the majors at some point this season, it means that the Tigers have no shot in heck of making the playoffs.

They have exactly five pitchers they can put in the rotation who are above replacement level: Verlander, Bonderman, Robertson, Willis and Rogers. They don't have a single sixth or seventh starter who is better than replacement. Not only that, but they don't even have someone who can spot start out of the pen, because it's decimated. Bonderman has the tools, but has never broken out. Robertson needs to have the same epiphany he had in '06, Willis needs to pitch like he's in the 2005 NL, and Rogers needs to forget that he's 43 and pitched less than 100 IP last year.

I dunno, I don't think that they're nearly as formidable as people think. The offense looks incredible if you plug in everyone's '07 stats. But if you think Magglio is going to hit .362 again, or Polanco will hit .341 again, I've got a bridge to sell you. Renteria has had 5 seasons of an OPS+ over 100, and even with those, still has a career OPS+ of 97. Never has he had three consecutive seasons above average offensively. Gary Sheffield can be very effective, but he needs to stay off the DL to do that. Miggy is going to completely and totally rock. No denying that. He'll give back about a third of his value with his glove. Granderson is a regression candidate: his BABiP was 15 points higher than his career average, and most of the rise in his SLG was due to an astronomical jump in triples, which he will not be able to replicate.

All in all, if they end up out of the Central race and out of the Wild Card hunt, I wouldn't be surprised. I suppose I would be surprised if they took the Central handily, if only because it means they have to stay perfectly healthy.
    “You can’t ascribe our fall from grace to any single event or set of circumstances. You can’t lose what you lacked at conception.”

Quote Originally Posted by jeterismyhomeboy
    Well, here's the thing: most other contenders have these awesome things called "farm teams." Detroit sold theirs. The only contributor who would not be replacement level is probably Rick Porcello, and while the kid is very special, if he's in the majors at some point this season, it means that the Tigers have no shot in heck of making the playoffs.

They have exactly five pitchers they can put in the rotation who are above replacement level: Verlander, Bonderman, Robertson, Willis and Rogers. They don't have a single sixth or seventh starter who is better than replacement. Not only that, but they don't even have someone who can spot start out of the pen, because it's decimated. Bonderman has the tools, but has never broken out. Robertson needs to have the same epiphany he had in '06, Willis needs to pitch like he's in the 2005 NL, and Rogers needs to forget that he's 43 and pitched less than 100 IP last year.

I dunno, I don't think that they're nearly as formidable as people think. The offense looks incredible if you plug in everyone's '07 stats. But if you think Magglio is going to hit .362 again, or Polanco will hit .341 again, I've got a bridge to sell you. Renteria has had 5 seasons of an OPS+ over 100, and even with those, still has a career OPS+ of 97. Never has he had three consecutive seasons above average offensively. Gary Sheffield can be very effective, but he needs to stay off the DL to do that. Miggy is going to completely and totally rock. No denying that. He'll give back about a third of his value with his glove. Granderson is a regression candidate: his BABiP was 15 points higher than his career average, and most of the rise in his SLG was due to an astronomical jump in triples, which he will not be able to replicate.

All in all, if they end up out of the Central race and out of the Wild Card hunt, I wouldn't be surprised. I suppose I would be surprised if they took the Central handily, if only because it means they have to stay perfectly healthy.
    Excellent post.

I do think Yorman Bazardo has a decent shot at contributing above replacement level this year, though, and he might give good innings as a long man out of the pen or as a spot starter. Beyond this quibble, I agree completely.
    Watch this space for a pithy new signature, now under construction!

NYYF Legend

Well I heard Gammons on Mike and Mike this morning...same sh#t, different year:

Yankees won't make the playoffs.
    Wild Card in the AL won't come out of the East.
    Cleveland in the WS..

I swear he's said the same thing the last 3years...

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick

Cleveland in the WS..

Wow, people have really been on that "Wild Card won't come out of the East" bandwagon for quite some time.

I guess if they keep saying it at some point it does have to happen.

Cleveland in the WS..

He's got it on tape.....
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by SubwayFanatic
    Wow, people have really been on that "Wild Card won't come out of the East" bandwagon for quite some time.

I guess if they keep saying it at some point it does have to happen.
    Well, it did happen two years ago.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by blumj
    Well, it did happen two years ago.
    And it was glorious. well, for some of us.

He was going on and on and smirking up a storm about the WC notcoming from the east that year, and saying the Yankees wouldn't make it...same smirk he wore while he ripped Cano before he came up...eff Gammons...I can't stand that guy...

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84
    Because I have nowhere else to put it:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....html#?eref=T1

Verducci picks the Yanks to win the division..Tigers to win it all.

Olney in his chat today picked the Yanks to win the East and the Indians to win it all.

The below SI "scouting reports" has the Yanks finishing with the top record in baseball

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...x.html?eref=T1 Click on the team to read the full scouting report.

Post all expert predictions in here.
    I've seen a couple places that picked the Indians to win it all. Makes me nervous that people think we are good enough to win the WS...I'd rather fly under the radar...

Verducci brings up a pretty good point in pointing out all the $ we have coming off the books, and the availability of Mark Texeira. For some reason, I just don't see him leaving Atlanta. I feel like they're ready to pass him the throne after Chipper.
    [I]I may not have been the best Yankee to put on the pinstripes, but I am the proudest.[/I] [COLOR=navy]~ Billy Martin[/COLOR]
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=#000080][/COLOR][/SIZE]

And it was glorious. well, for some of us.

He was going on and on and smirking up a storm about the WC notcoming from the east that year, and saying the Yankees wouldn't make it...same smirk he wore while he ripped Cano before he came up...eff Gammons...I can't stand that guy...
    Well, it's Insider, but I saw his predictions article reprinted on another board, and Gammons picked Joba as his ROY winner and Hughes as one of his CYA vote-getters and breakout candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by NYYDragoon
    Dammit. I don't like when analysts pick the Yankees to win anything...that hasn't resulted in much luck as of late. I preferred going into this as the underdogs.

The Tigers aren't winning it all, but sometimes it's hard to go against what things look like on paper.
    We are the underdogs, it doesn't matter who picks what. I could pick the Rays to shock the world and win it all, but it doesn't mean anything. The fact that Boston won it all automatically puts us in the underdog role, so we've really been there for a while now. But we still have to be favored to make the playoffs, if not win it all.

I really think the Angels might not make the playoffs.

I do think that it is entirely possible that the Yankees or Red Sox won't make the playoffs though. I think things could go really wrong for both teams.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Sporting News may be right...

http://www.beloblog.com/ProJo_Blogs/SoxBlog/

RAY GUNS: Writing for SportingNews.com, David Pinto says Tampa Bay has a better starting rotation than either the Red Sox or Yankees.
    "I'm sorry Smokey, you were over the line, that's a foul....mark it zero Dude, next frame"

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Meecham4ever
    Sporting News may be right...

http://www.beloblog.com/ProJo_Blogs/SoxBlog/

RAY GUNS: Writing for SportingNews.com, David Pinto says Tampa Bay has a better starting rotation than either the Red Sox or Yankees.
    I think that's a bit overboard.

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
    I think that's a bit overboard.
    Just a tad...

Tampa has some great young pitchers but their 1-5 rotation compared to us and the Red Sox isn't even close in my opinion.

Thread Information