Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Paul O'Neill Day: Do it Retire21's Avatar

Hank responds to Papelbon by calling him a mouse

2010 Yankees: Believe

Re: Hank responds to Papelbon by calling him a mouse

The Mouth speaks again

If mouses have sphincters for mouths, then yeah, I guess he is a mouse.

"I don't know if he's trying to stir things up or not," the Bosox closer said. "I sure as hell don't care, because he sure as hell hasn't stepped on a baseball field. He needs to just stick to pencil-pushing, I guess."

Hammerin' Hank fired back yesterday.

"Being insulted by Papelbon is like being attacked by a mouse," Steinbrenner told The Post.
    "John Henry and I traded a couple of jabs good-naturedly," he added. "So now, all of a sudden, this player, this 20-something kid who really doesn't know his way in the world, comes out with a personal insult. There's no excuse for that."

I don't mind Hank putting Papelbon in his place. On one hand, you might say, 'what idiot owner talks about another team's players?' For me, the idiot player on another team bad mouthing another team's owner outweighs it. Papelbon fits in nicely with the low class fraternity of Beckett, Schilling, Pedro. You admire his talent, but his juvenile antics (John Rocker, Jr., anyone?) place him in the gutter for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Retire21
    Papelbon fits in nicely with the low class fraternity of Beckett, Schilling, Pedro. You admire his talent, but his juvenile antics (John Rocker, Jr., anyone?) place him in the gutter for me.
    Comparing Papelbon to Rocker is utterly ridiculous.

Also if they're low class, honestly, so are the Yankees now, so long as Hank keeps playing this game and Yankee fans cheer him on in it -- and that's fine, but we can't pretend to be 'better' like we used to be either.

We're just like them.

Quote Originally Posted by sahara
    Comparing Papelbon to Rocker is utterly ridiculous.
    I was referring more to their antics on the mound than things said off it. I stand by the remarks- Papelbon reminds me of Rocker when he's on the mind with all of his tough guy antics.

Quote Originally Posted by sahara
    We're just like them.
    Maybe to the general baseball fan who doesn't follow this stuff as closely. But to say we're just like them I think is utterly ridiculous and a slap in the face to Yankee players and their fans. If Yankee players behaved like some of the Red Sox players, I would be absolutely ashamed to be a Yankee fan. If the Yankees celebrated their Dynasty run by trashing a rival team/city, I would not be proud to be a Yankee fan.

I don't hate the Red Sox like some of you. I love the history of the game and can appreciate the Red Sox are in a period in their history not seen since 1914-1918. As someone who loves history, I think that's cool. My problem with the Red Sox is that it is difficult for me to be happy for their players or their fans, though I like people like Francona, Lowell, Wakefield, because guys like Beckett, Manny, Schilling, and Papelbon constantly run their mouths or disrespect the game with their play (see Manny). The Yankees have had their players who have been easy targets for fans of other teams (Knoblauch, Clemens, Leyritz, Sheffield, Brown, even Alex), but I think the Yankees are genuinely known around the league as classy and respectful, largely because of Jeter, Mo, Andy, Bernie, Jorge, and (take a breath, some of you) Joe Torre. To say we're just like them is inaccurate.

I was referring more to their antics on the mound than things said off it. I stand by the remarks- Papelbon reminds me of Rocker when he's on the mind with all of his tough guy antics.
    As opposed to say, Joba and his fist pumping and screaming?

The Yankees have had their players who have been easy targets for fans of other teams (Knoblauch, Clemens, Leyritz, Sheffield, Brown, even Alex), but I think the Yankees are genuinely known around the league as classy and respectful, largely because of Jeter, Mo, Andy, Bernie, Jorge, and (take a breath, some of you) Joe Torre. To say we're just like them is inaccurate.
    We used to be on another level than them. We had bad eggs, just like they did/do, but the overall image was above it.

So long as we have Hank going off continually like this and almost the entire fanbase applauds him, on top of how obsessed with now are with them in general, we're on their level.

And again, that's fine. Pretending otherwise just seems hypocritical though.

Maybe to the general baseball fan who doesn't follow this stuff as closely. But to say we're just like them I think is utterly ridiculous and a slap in the face to Yankee players and their fans. If Yankee players behaved like some of the Red Sox players, I would be absolutely ashamed to be a Yankee fan. If the Yankees celebrated their Dynasty run by trashing a rival team/city, I would not be proud to be a Yankee fan.

I don't hate the Red Sox like some of you. I love the history of the game and can appreciate the Red Sox are in a period in their history not seen since 1914-1918. As someone who loves history, I think that's cool. My problem with the Red Sox is that it is difficult for me to be happy for their players or their fans, though I like people like Francona, Lowell, Wakefield, because guys like Beckett, Manny, Schilling, and Papelbon constantly run their mouths or disrespect the game with their play (see Manny). The Yankees have had their players who have been easy targets for fans of other teams (Knoblauch, Clemens, Leyritz, Sheffield, Brown, even Alex), but I think the Yankees are genuinely known around the league as classy and respectful, largely because of Jeter, Mo, Andy, Bernie, Jorge, and (take a breath, some of you) Joe Torre. To say we're just like them is inaccurate.
    3-2-1..till we hear about the steroids...
    "I'm sorry Smokey, you were over the line, that's a foul....mark it zero Dude, next frame"

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42
    If mouses have sphincters for mouths, then yeah, I guess he is a mouse.
    Now thats what he should have said.
    I may not have been the best Yankee to put on the pinstripes, but I am the proudest.
    - Billy Martin

NYYF Legend

Did Papelbon even insult Hank? He should have kept his mouth shut, but I wouldn't call "he needs to stick to pencil pushing" an insult.

Quote Originally Posted by nhyankeefan
    Did Papelbon even insult Hank? He should have kept his mouth shut, but I wouldn't call "he needs to stick to pencil pushing" an insult.
    Are you kidding?

I love Hank more and more every day. *Starts to remodel study room into Hank shrine*

Released Outright JavyVazquezIsSick's Avatar

Thats amazing.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Hahaha....Papelbon is a punk and needs to be put in his place. Hank has a big mouth but the "pencil pushing" comment was disrespectful IMO.

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers
    Hahaha....Papelbon is a punk and needs to be put in his place. Hank has a big mouth but the "pencil pushing" comment was disrespectful IMO.
    Just send him a clip of A-Rod hitting that homerun off him last June.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by The Q Bomb
    Just send him a clip of A-Rod hitting that homerun off him last June.
    I would love to do that.

This is one time I don't mind Hank opening his mouth.
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ppa79
    This is one time I don't mind Hank opening his mouth.
    Co-sign.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

More Hank:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3294998

Hank is on a roll............

More Hank:

I chuckled at the Papelbon comments. Not as crazy about Hank's "subsidy" comments today. That was foolish. It's one thing to have a little trash talk with the Sox FO and to respond to the Rays FO's nonsense, but sweeping comments like that towards everyone not in NY or Boston? Use your head man.

NYYF Legend

More Hank:

That wasn't really necessary. Playing the money card won't help him make friends.

But suprisingly, his comments to Pap made me laugh.

How dare Hank insult mice everywhere !

Edited to add: Oops... JDPNYY beat me to it.

Hank is the man!

No more BS!
    Spring Training is just around the corner!

Hank is reminding me more of George. He's almost got the absurd comparison to animal thing down.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph19
    Hank is reminding me more of George. He's almost got the absurd comparison to animal thing down.
    As long as Hank holds his baseball people in high regard and listens to their advice, he will be much better than the younger George Steinbrenner.
    Fire Cashman, but Hal Steinbrenner is the root of Yankee woes.

Thread Information