+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 151
  1. #51
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Coral Springs, Fl

    Re: Hank drops the Hammer on RSN

    Quote Originally Posted by Young Steinbrenner



    Steinbrenner put the Red Sox in their place.

    You don't put somebody in their place with words.

    You put somebody in their place out on the field.

  2. #52
    Movin' on Bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Clifton Park, New York

    Re: Hank drops the Hammer on RSN

    From what folks tell me, there's just as much Red Sox apparel being worn around the country as Yankees apparel, although the championships may have a lot to do with that right now. Back in the early 70s, A's apparel was being worn everywhere, as they won 3 straight.
    Let the kids play.

  3. #53
    Gone Fish`in montrealer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Saint Anicet,Quebec

    Re: Hank drops the Hammer on RSN

    Quote Originally Posted by Bub
    From what folks tell me, there's just as much Red Sox apparel being worn around the country as Yankees apparel, although the championships may have a lot to do with that right now. Back in the early 70s, A's apparel was being worn everywhere, as they won 3 straight.
    T

    The old adage....."Actions Speak Louder than Words" was to mind here....

    "Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

  4. #54
    NYYF Legend

    JfromJersey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Old Bridge, NJ

    Re: Hank drops the Hammer on RSN

    Quote Originally Posted by Bub
    From what folks tell me, there's just as much Red Sox apparel being worn around the country as Yankees apparel, although the championships may have a lot to do with that right now. Back in the early 70s, A's apparel was being worn everywhere, as they won 3 straight.
    I'm sure lots of people who bought Yankee merchandise back when we were winning all those titles were doing it as a fashion statement rather than an expression of genuine fandom..and the same applies to Red Sox gear.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

    It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

  5. #55
    Forum Regular
    DisabledMess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Livingston NJ

    Re: Hank drops the Hammer on RSN

    I like the fact that the Yankees don't need espn to be popular because the Yankee "Empire" is so powerful. They have their own tv station and don't need anyone.
    [SIZE=3][URL="http://www.yankeesdaily.com"]http://www.yankeesdaily.com[/URL][/SIZE]

  6. #56
    NYYF Triple Crown


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Under The Big Apple

    Re: Hank drops the Hammer on RSN

    Quote Originally Posted by montrealer
    Hank just threw it out in the Trash............Yankee class is now in jeopardy......We`re officially now no Better than RSN.......
    And Hank Steinbrenner is now the face of the New York Yankees? Sheesh.

  7. #57
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cambridge, MA

    Re: Hank drops the Hammer on RSN

    Quote Originally Posted by koko
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3271124

    "Red Sox Nation?" What a bunch of [expletive] that is," he said in an interview with The New York Times' Play magazine. "That was a creation of the Red Sox and ESPN, which is filled with Red Sox fans.
    "Go anywhere in America and you won't see Red Sox hats and jackets, you'll see Yankee hats and jackets. This is a Yankee country. We're going to put the Yankees back on top and restore the universe to order."
    I mean, as much as I like the spunk, it's about as unprofessional as Theo's previous comments about Moose.

  8. #58
    The gerbil lives Zimmers' Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hampton Beach, NH

    Re: Hank drops the Hammer on RSN

    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderFan
    How do you not love Hank if you're a yankee fan? It's impossible.
    Speak for yourself please; don't speak for all Yankee fans.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

  9. #59
    NYYF MVP

    chisox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The Second City - Chicago

    Re: Hank drops the Hammer on RSN

    Somebody on the White Sox board has an interesting observation

    Jaba the Hut wasn't part of either the "Evil Empire" nor the Rebel Alliance... This picture brings a 3rd Star Wars aspect to the greatest rivalry in sports.


    I see fields of green, Veeck's pinwheel lights
    Cubs lose by day, Sox win at night
    And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
    .

  10. #60

    Re: Hank drops the Hammer on RSN

    Quote Originally Posted by NYYDieHard
    Hanks comment on the red sox was great, finally someone stands up and points out the obvious. espn and this "red sox nation" crap is a complete steal from the term "raider nation".
    Actually...no....stolen from "Dallas Cowboys - AMERICAS' TEAM!!!"
    "I'm sorry Smokey, you were over the line, that's a foul....mark it zero Dude, next frame"

  11. #61

    Re: Hank drops the Hammer on RSN

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeZim
    Bah. He was fortunate to be born to the right daddy. Live it up Hank, you lucky devil.
    As our former Mayor in Providence used to refer to the 4th Generation Ivy-Leaguers who were "to the manor born"...
    "He's a member of the Lucky Sperm Club!"
    "I'm sorry Smokey, you were over the line, that's a foul....mark it zero Dude, next frame"

  12. #62

    Re: Hank drops the Hammer on RSN

    Hank is repeatedly demonstrating that he is but a caricature of his father. The idea that the Red Sox are not a popular team nationally is immediately recognized as utter foolishness by anyone who lives outside of NY/NJ. For those who need convincing, the fact is that the Red Sox outdrew the Yankees on the road in 2007 (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attend...7&seasonType=2) and in 2005 (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attend...&seasonType=2).

  13. #63

    Re: Hank drops the Hammer on RSN

    Quote Originally Posted by Dog Named Fred
    Hank is repeatedly demonstrating that he is but a caricature of his father. The idea that the Red Sox are not a popular team nationally is immediately recognized as utter foolishness by anyone who lives outside of NY/NJ. For those who need convincing, the fact is that the Red Sox outdrew the Yankees on the road in 2007 (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attend...7&seasonType=2) and in 2005 (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attend...seasonType=2).
    Again, the only reason why they outdrew the Yankees is because the Red Sox play nine games in a much bigger Yankee Stadium than when the Yankees play their nine games at Fenway.
    Poor ownership can hold a baseball team down for years!

  14. #64

    Re: Hank drops the Hammer on RSN

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962
    Again, the only reason why they outdrew the Yankees is because the Red Sox play nine games in a much bigger Yankee Stadium than when the Yankees play their nine games at Fenway.
    I'm not quite sure what you're point is. The relevant portion of Hankenstein's original quote was, ""Go anywhere in America and you won't see Red Sox hats and jackets, you'll see Yankee hats and jackets. This is a Yankee country."

    The issue is not which team is more popular. He is dismissing the Red Sox as a nationally significant team altogether.

    The man does not operate on facts. And that flaw has very real ramifications beyond making a fool out of himself as he did with the quote being discussed here. We've seen it in his decision to give A-Rod and Rivera far more than their market value. And, unfortunately, we could see it again should he get desperate to prove himself this summer if the Yankees are in trouble.

  15. #65

    Re: Hank drops the Hammer on RSN

    Quote Originally Posted by Rice14
    You don't put somebody in their place with words.

    You put somebody in their place out on the field.
    I agree 100%. With Hank at the helm I am worrying that the Yankees may not be able to do that in the next coming years. Hopefully he mellows out and lets people like Cashman do their jobs.
    New York Yankees: 27 Time World Series Champions!

  16. #66

    Re: Hank drops the Hammer on RSN

    Quote Originally Posted by Dog Named Fred
    I'm not quite sure what you're point is. The relevant portion of Hankenstein's original quote was, ""Go anywhere in America and you won't see Red Sox hats and jackets, you'll see Yankee hats and jackets. This is a Yankee country."

    The issue is not which team is more popular. He is dismissing the Red Sox as a nationally significant team altogether.

    The man does not operate on facts. And that flaw has very real ramifications beyond making a fool out of himself as he did with the quote being discussed here. We've seen it in his decision to give A-Rod and Rivera far more than their market value. And, unfortunately, we could see it again should he get desperate to prove himself this summer if the Yankees are in trouble.
    You're the one that stated the Red Sox outdrew the Yankees on the road which is true, but only due to the fact that the Yankees visit a much smaller ballpark in Boston than the Red Sox visit in New York nine times in a baseball season.

    As far as Hank's comments, I don't see many Red Sox hats in Michigan, but I see plenty of Yankee hats here.
    Poor ownership can hold a baseball team down for years!

  17. #67

    Re: Hank drops the Hammer on RSN

    Quote Originally Posted by Dog Named Fred
    Exactly. I especially like the part where he takes another shot at Joe Torre, saying he was "handed" a winning team. If the Yankees win it all this year, with a team that was handed to Hank, I wonder what he'll be saying about his own accomplishments.
    Don't forget the team wasn't exactly "handed" to Hank. When the Yankees lost to Cleveland in the ALCS everyone knew that we would be in for a rollercoaster offseason... The Boss himself put Torre's job on the line and we had some uber-free agents hitting the market.

    Hank was able to retain A-Rod, Posada and Mo for the foreseeable future, and he also somehow stayed calm and listened to Cash during the Santana talks and we kept our young pitchers. Even if you think he was "handed" a team, he still had quite a bit of work to do to keep it together. I think he's excited about what he's done and though he may be wreckless in his statements, he is full of Yankee pride and I personally love it.

  18. #68
    AL MVP 2035 Yankees Empire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Spokane Valley, WA

    Re: Hank drops the Hammer on RSN

    Quote Originally Posted by NewEraYanks2527
    I prefer Yankee Empire.
    Thanks. I like me too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet
    This is the kind of garbage I expect from a Deion Sanders or Allan Iverson...this isn't the way of Gehrig, DiMaggio, Berra or Jeter.
    Agreed. This kind of mouth flapping is not what the Yankees are all about. The Yankees are about showing up, kicking ass, and keeping your mouth shut. I don't think comments like Hank's are really condusive to what makes the Yankees special in the first place.

    Play hard. Kick ass. Shut the ................ up.
    There is no "I" in "team" but there is a dismembered and mixed-up "me."

  19. #69
    Thanks for the memories Kate frostdude1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Windsor, Canada

    Re: Hank drops the Hammer on RSN

    In my city here in Canada, I see Yankee hats more than Blue Jays and Tigers (Detroit is right across the river) hats. Ive seen maybe 2 sox hats since they won in October while ive seen well over 30 Yankee hats since that time as well.

    So Hank has a point and Red Sox Nation is big and is probably the second biggest fanbase, although you could make an arguement for the Cubs and if they ever win, they would probably surpass the Red Sox. But no one will ever surpass the Yankees. Cmon guys, we're the Muthaflippin Yankeeeees

  20. #70

    Re: Hank drops the Hammer on RSN

    He's right about ESPN, but there's tons of Red Sox hats, shirts, etc. running around. Whether or not its just bandwagon fans is hard to tell, but there's definitely plenty of Red Sox Nation members clogging up the town I live in.

  21. #71

    Re: Hank drops the Hammer on RSN

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962
    You're the one that stated the Red Sox outdrew the Yankees on the road which is true, but only due to the fact that the Yankees visit a much smaller ballpark in Boston than the Red Sox visit in New York nine times in a baseball season.

    As far as Hank's comments, I don't see many Red Sox hats in Michigan, but I see plenty of Yankee hats here.
    Seriously? You really want to continue this? The initial claim being discussed was effectively that the Red Sox are not a popular team across the country. My response was that it's ridiculous and here's some evidence: the Red Sox outdrew the Yankees on the road in 2 of the last 3 years. Your response was that that is because the Yankees play road games in Fenway and the Sox play games at YS and YS is much bigger. If my point was that the Red Sox are more popular than the Yankees, your point would be relevant. And then there could be a long debate regarding other factors that affect attendance such as weather patterns, stadium giveaways, time of game and even how many transplanted New Yorkers live in other cities as opposed to transplanted Bostonians. But that is not what this thread is about.

    Hankenstein seems to believe that the Red Sox do not have a significant national following. You seem to agree, offering the evidence that you claim to see a lot of Yankees hats in Michigan and not many Red Sox hats. If you think that's a good argument, that's certainly your prerogative. Personallly, I think the argument is no better than Hank's.

    But please don't try to change the discussion into one of which team is more popular when the issue is that Hankenstein is apparently blind to reality.

    And the obstinance he shows in making claims that are completely contradicted by available evidence could prove to be dangerous to the Yankees and bring about a time reminiscent of the mid-80s through early 90s.

  22. #72

    Re: Hank drops the Hammer on RSN

    Quote Originally Posted by SandHut
    Even if you think he was "handed" a team, he still had quite a bit of work to do to keep it together. I think he's excited about what he's done and though he may be wreckless in his statements, he is full of Yankee pride and I personally love it.
    What work do you think he did? He offered Posada, ARod and Mo more money than anyone was. In the case of ARod and MO, an obscene amount more. And he tried to give up the farm for Santana until he was talked out of it. The man has accomplished nothing. And if the Yankees win the World Series this year, he will not be able to legitimately take one bit of credit, though I'm certain that won't stop him from trying.

  23. #73
    Your 2014 NY Yankees JDPNYY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Guam

    Re: Hank drops the Hammer on RSN

    Quote Originally Posted by Dog Named Fred
    Seriously? You really want to continue this? The initial claim being discussed was effectively that the Red Sox are not a popular team across the country. My response was that it's ridiculous and here's some evidence: the Red Sox outdrew the Yankees on the road in 2 of the last 3 years. Your response was that that is because the Yankees play road games in Fenway and the Sox play games at YS and YS is much bigger. If my point was that the Red Sox are more popular than the Yankees, your point would be relevant. And then there could be a long debate regarding other factors that affect attendance such as weather patterns, stadium giveaways, time of game and even how many transplanted New Yorkers live in other cities as opposed to transplanted Bostonians. But that is not what this thread is about.

    Hankenstein seems to believe that the Red Sox do not have a significant national following. You seem to agree, offering the evidence that you claim to see a lot of Yankees hats in Michigan and not many Red Sox hats. If you think that's a good argument, that's certainly your prerogative. Personallly, I think the argument is no better than Hank's.

    But please don't try to change the discussion into one of which team is more popular when the issue is that Hankenstein is apparently blind to reality.

    And the obstinance he shows in making claims that are completely contradicted by available evidence could prove to be dangerous to the Yankees and bring about a time reminiscent of the mid-80s through early 90s.
    You lost me somewhere Dog.

    Also, I'd advise you to calm down on the name calling towards the Yankee owner. It's against the rules around here.
    Pardon, for us.

  24. #74
    Gone Fish`in montrealer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Saint Anicet,Quebec

    Re: Hank drops the Hammer on RSN

    Quote Originally Posted by frostdude1
    In my city here in Canada, I see Yankee hats more than Blue Jays and Tigers (Detroit is right across the river) hats. Ive seen maybe 2 sox hats since they won in October while ive seen well over 30 Yankee hats since that time as well.

    So Hank has a point and Red Sox Nation is big and is probably the second biggest fanbase, although you could make an arguement for the Cubs and if they ever win, they would probably surpass the Red Sox. But no one will ever surpass the Yankees. Cmon guys, we're the Muthaflippin Yankeeeees
    So am I...........and it`s definetly RSN here. And that`s only changed since Sox started winning rings.

    "Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

  25. #75
    Gone Fish`in montrealer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Saint Anicet,Quebec

    Re: Hank drops the Hammer on RSN

    Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY
    You lost me somewhere Dog.

    Also, I'd advise you to calm down on the name calling towards the Yankee owner. It's against the rules around here.

    Please John.......See past Torre Threads on name calling..........

    "Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts