+ Reply to Thread
Page 87 of 100 FirstFirst ... 37 77 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 97 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,175 of 2491
    Oops! I pooped on your things! __starr69's Avatar

Re: The Ask anything about computers thread

I need to create an image with a minimum 96dpi, but Photoshop only lets me choose pixels/inch. Is there a difference between dpi and p/in?
    I created everything at 72 p/in, hopefully I won't have to do everything over again.
    Dieting isn't a piece of cake.
    Nobody ever says "it's just a game" when their team is winning.
    "Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball" --Jacques Barzun

Quote Originally Posted by __starr69 View Post
    I need to create an image with a minimum 96dpi, but Photoshop only lets me choose pixels/inch. Is there a difference between dpi and p/in?
    I created everything at 72 p/in, hopefully I won't have to do everything over again.
    http://www.andrewdaceyphotography.com/articles/dpi/
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Thank you.

So dpi is for printing, while p/in is for a computer screen? Now I'm confused as to why the website gave me a minimum dpi.
    "Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball" --Jacques Barzun

Thank you.

So dpi is for printing, while p/in is for a computer screen? Now I'm confused as to why the website gave me a minimum dpi.
    Because they are foolish.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Thank you.

DPI (dots per inch) is the resolution. That's used for printing and scanning. It just shows how sharp and detailed you want an image to be.

p/in, I'm not sure about. I do know that a point =1/72nd of an inch, re font size. Or were you referring to pixels?
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    DPI (dots per inch) is the resolution. That's used for printing and scanning. It just shows how sharp and detailed you want an image to be.

p/in, I'm not sure about. I do know that a point =1/72nd of an inch, re font size. Or were you referring to pixels?
    Yes, it's pixels per inch (on Photoshop). I'll just submit what I have (72 pixels/inch) and hope it's good enough. My images are three times the minimum width and height so I should be alright.

OK, thanks. I have no idea why 72 pixels per inch is a standard. This when 72 pts = 1". Wot-evah.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

NYYF Legend

Yes, it's pixels per inch (on Photoshop). I'll just submit what I have (72 pixels/inch) and hope it's good enough. My images are three times the minimum width and height so I should be alright.
    Are you worried how it's going to look when printed? If you are just going to be viewing it on screen, 72 is fine (says my daughter, the graphic design student).
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

Quote Originally Posted by krystl View Post
    Are you worried how it's going to look when printed? If you are just going to be viewing it on screen, 72 is fine (says my daughter, the graphic design student).
    Yes, these will (eventually) be printed. I may give the printing company a call or shoot them an email to see if I can continue as is. I'm nowhere near finished, but I habe enough time put into these that I really don't want to start over.

Yes, these will (eventually) be printed. I may give the printing company a call or shoot them an email to see if I can continue as is. I'm nowhere near finished, but I habe enough time put into these that I really don't want to start over.
    That's a good idea. Ask them which file format they prefer, and figure out what size you're going to print this to. A few small test printouts couldn't hurt.

NYYF Legend

She said you can switch it to 300 easily, which will be better for printing, although she has printed some at 72 with no problems. The 300 will be more detailed.

I'm curious, what kind of printer are you using right now?

NYYF Legend

Los Angeles, Ca., a transplanted New Yorker

There is a new virus that is targeting Macs, according to the news. How would I know if my computer was infected with a virus? My computer is acting kind of sluggish when I click on things and even while I am typing it is not keeping up with my typing. Would a virus cause that or if not, then what?

28 in '12

Quote Originally Posted by Octoberbaby View Post
    There is a new virus that is targeting Macs, according to the news. How would I know if my computer was infected with a virus? My computer is acting kind of sluggish when I click on things and even while I am typing it is not keeping up with my typing. Would a virus cause that or if not, then what?
    Desktop or laptop? How often do you reboot?

Do you have any Internet suite on your Mac? How often do you update your AV definitions?

It could be a virus. However, it could also be half-dead batteries in a wireless mouse.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Octoberbaby View Post
    Hey, when did you start showing up here again? Welcome back, Lorraine.

Anyway, I'm about ready to throw my laptop in the driveway and run over it with my SUV a dozen times. I think I'm ready for a new one.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Lorraine, welcome back.

Tom, what's wrong with your laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    Lorraine, welcome back.

Tom, what's wrong with your laptop?
    Just about everything.

On the advice of my IT guy son I reinstalled the operating system (luckily I have the original disks) which was a pain having to wade through massive Microsoft and driver updates and then systematically reinstalling everything that was lost on the computer through the original reinstall but all seems to be working smoothly now. There were a couple moments, though, when I thought "do I really want to do this?

For as much of a pain as doing this was I think next time (and hopefully there will not be a next time having to do this) I'll just buy a new computer.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

I'm hoping Mr. C sees this.

My kid installed some stupid video chat called ooVoo. It screwed up the computer and I think I unintalled it. I think.....

So now there is some dumbass toolbar (actually 2) called Ask.me and Mystart that keep popping up - i think they are Yahoo programs but I can't find them in the listing to uninstall them. I'm beyond furious right now. Effin kids

Nothing against red chinese lanterns but my screen is filled with them.

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    I'm hoping Mr. C sees this.

My kid installed some stupid video chat called ooVoo. It screwed up the computer and I think I unintalled it. I think.....

So now there is some dumbass toolbar (actually 2) called Ask.me and Mystart that keep popping up - i think they are Yahoo programs but I can't find them in the listing to uninstall them. I'm beyond furious right now. Effin kids

Nothing against red chinese lanterns but my screen is filled with them.
    Download and install this: http://download.cnet.com/Spybot-Sear...-10122137.html

Once it's installed, run it and then click on "Check for Problems". It will take a while, but when it's done delete or clean or whatever it's called whatever it finds.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Download and install this: http://download.cnet.com/Spybot-Sear...-10122137.html

Once it's installed, run it and then click on "Check for Problems". It will take a while, but when it's done delete or clean or whatever it's called whatever it finds.
    Could you do a system restore?

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Could you do a system restore?
    I tried that.

I'll try Mr. C's suggestion.

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    I tried that.

I'll try Mr. C's suggestion.

Thanks guys.
    if that doesn't work give malwarebytes a shot

edit: I just thought of something else you can try - microsoft has a malicious software removal tool you can download for free. Hopefully the spybot gets it but I never had much luck with that.

NYYF Legend

I like malwarebytes too.

Vick, a while back Nick installed Oovoo on my computer too. What a pain in the butt it was. I don't know if I had the toolbars like you, but it slowed everything down and wouldn't go away. I eventually got rid of it, but I don't remember how.

edit: I just thought of something else you can try - microsoft has a malicious software removal tool you can download for free. Hopefully the spybot gets it but I never had much luck with that.
    Malwarebytes will sometimes let some things like toolbars and pop-ups go. It's good for the really bad stuff, though.

Maybe the settings can be tweaked to adjust what it catches and what it lets pass-- I don't know.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Thread Information