+ Reply to Thread
Page 84 of 100 FirstFirst ... 34 74 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 94 ... LastLast
Results 2,076 to 2,100 of 2491

Re: The Ask anything about computers thread

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    My work PC contracted Win 7 Security 2012 malware. How do I get rid of it?! We have Symantic but it's not finding it when I do a full system scan. I've been able to disable the "program" but I can't find a way to delete it. I may come in on the weekend and reinstall Windows. Grrr.
    http://www.techwatch.co.uk/2011/12/2...security-2012/
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    USB 3.0 devices use the same USB plug-in connection that is found on virtually all computers made within the last several years. The protocol is backward compatible with USB 2.0 so that most devices should still work on older machines through the USB port, although the maximum data transfer speed is about one-tenth of 3.0. To find out if you have it, Google your model number followed by "specifications" and the spec sheet should say. It has to be pretty recent to have 3.0, like Spring 2011 or later.

Express Cards replaced the PCMIA (aka PCCard) about five years ago. Express Card 1.0 would go 2.5 GB/s or about half the max of USB 3.0. The more recent ExpressCard 2.0 can handle 5 GB/s...the same as USB 3.0. ExpressCards and PCMIA/PCCard/CardBus slots are not backwards compatible. There are two flavors of ExpressCard, 34mm wide and 54mm wide. 54mm slots accept the 34mm cards, but not vice versa.

I'm guessing the whole slot thing will die out and USB 3.0 will be used for all peripherals that aren't wireless.
    I was in the City yesterday by the Library. I went into a place called Data Vision, which sells lots of hardware but overpriced. The guy downstairs had a USB 2.0-to-Express Card thingy f/$40 or so. Seemed like a waste, since the USB 3.0 devices are already USB 2.0 compatible. No need to spend $80+ on a converter then a card, only to result in the same slower speed.

I'll just get an external HD and get a PCI USB 3.0 card for my infrequently-used desktop to use this at the faster speeds.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Living Life Outloud yankeeschic12324's Avatar

Anyone know how to change the default program for opening documents off the web? I'm trying to open an application that was emailed to me but when I open it, it opens up in note pad and gets all messed up. How can I open it in Word?
    My Native American name is RunsWithCrashCart.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeschic12324 View Post
    Anyone know how to change the default program for opening documents off the web? I'm trying to open an application that was emailed to me but when I open it, it opens up in note pad and gets all messed up. How can I open it in Word?
    When you say an "application", do you mean a form, such as a college form that you fill in? Or do you mean an app, as in an executable program? Most forms that are used to apply for something will come in as a PDF file.

Notepad is a DOS text editor. Files that have either an .asc or .txt extension will use this. There is no formatting whatsoever, such as bold, italics, fonts, Tables, graphics, etc.

WordPad has formatting, but not as much as in Word. Word has full formatting capabilities and a .doc extension for versions up to 2003, and a .docx extension for versions 2007 & 2010 (on a PC).

Word can also open an .rtf or an .xml file, amongst others.

If you save the document somewhere (desktop, hard drive, usb/flash drive, etc), click on it, then right-click and choose "Open With", then pick "Default Program". In the future, the program you've selected will always open files of this type (by the forementioned file extension).
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    When you say an "application", do you mean a form, such as a college form that you fill in? Or do you mean an app, as in an executable program? Most forms that are used to apply for something will come in as a PDF file.

Notepad is a DOS text editor. Files that have either an .asc or .txt extension will use this. There is no formatting whatsoever, such as bold, italics, fonts, Tables, graphics, etc.

WordPad has formatting, but not as much as in Word. Word has full formatting capabilities and a .doc extension for versions up to 2003, and a .docx extension for versions 2007 & 2010 (on a PC).

Word can also open an .rtf or an .xml file, amongst others.

If you save the document somewhere (desktop, hard drive, usb/flash drive, etc), click on it, then right-click and choose "Open With", then pick "Default Program". In the future, the program you've selected will always open files of this type (by the forementioned file extension).
    Like a college application.

I tried doing that but for some reason couldn't find Microsoft Office/Word in there. Just showed me a bunch of folders, all that were empty.

Like a college application.

I tried doing that but for some reason couldn't find Microsoft Office/Word in there. Just showed me a bunch of folders, all that were empty.
    What was the file extension of the application? .pdf? .rtf? .doc? .docx?

Where did you save it? Or did you download it directly from the school's website?

Do you have Microsoft Word on your laptop and/or desktop? If so, which version(s)?

What was the file extension of the application? .pdf? .rtf? .doc? .docx?

Where did you save it? Or did you download it directly from the school's website?

Do you have Microsoft Word on your laptop and/or desktop? If so, which version(s)?

.doc

I was emailed the application (as an attachment), so I saved it to my documents. I have Microsoft Office 2010 on the laptop I'm currently using.

In Firefox, it's Tools> Options> Applications.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    In Firefox, it's Tools> Options> Applications.
    What about IE?

What about IE?
    Try Settings> Internet Options> Programs Tab> Set Programs.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

.doc

I was emailed the application (as an attachment), so I saved it to my documents. I have Microsoft Office 2010 on the laptop I'm currently using.
    Let's pretend that you saved it to "c:\MSOffice2010\documents_word".

You'd click on that, and use the "Open With" for Word. If Word 2010 is the only version of Word that you have on your system, then it (Word 2010) would likely see it as an outdated version. That may explain why something else is opening it. However, it's not supposed to do that.

As mentioned earlier, a .doc is a Word file from Word 2 (or was it 1a?) until Word 2003. From Word 2007-10, it's a .docx extension. The .doc & .rtf file formats aren't specifically Word 2007 or 2010 files, so that's why another program opened it up. Since a form is generally highly formatted (unless it's just a text file), the last thing you'd want is for a plain text editor such as NotePad to open it.

Try going directly into Word, then opening up the file from its physical location (File; Open). If you keep things separated under different subfolders, such as one for work (and subfolders for this), another for college tests and student application forms, and so on. Either case, if you have everything organized and understand where all your files are logically kept, then you can locate everything when you browse through the computer's subfolders.

Is the "My Documents" subfolder currently your default for files being saved? From Word 2010, please do:

File
    Options
    Save

Look at your location. If it's not, then please either pick that or another location, and place your files into that folder or subfolder of this.

Let's pretend that you saved it to "c:\MSOffice2010\documents_word".

You'd click on that, and use the "Open With" for Word. If Word 2010 is the only version of Word that you have on your system, then it (Word 2010) would likely see it as an outdated version. That may explain why something else is opening it. However, it's not supposed to do that.

As mentioned earlier, a .doc is a Word file from Word 2 (or was it 1a?) until Word 2003. From Word 2007-10, it's a .docx extension. The .doc & .rtf file formats aren't specifically Word 2007 or 2010 files, so that's why another program opened it up. Since a form is generally highly formatted (unless it's just a text file), the last thing you'd want is for a plain text editor such as NotePad to open it.

Try going directly into Word, then opening up the file from its physical location (File; Open). If you keep things separated under different subfolders, such as one for work (and subfolders for this), another for college tests and student application forms, and so on. Either case, if you have everything organized and understand where all your files are logically kept, then you can locate everything when you browse through the computer's subfolders.

Is the "My Documents" subfolder currently your default for files being saved? From Word 2010, please do:

File
    Options
    Save

Look at your location. If it's not, then please either pick that or another location, and place your files into that folder or subfolder of this.
    This isn't a saved file she's talking about-- it's a file she's opening from her browser.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    This isn't a saved file she's talking about-- it's a file she's opening from her browser.
    Oh, OK. I misunderstood her.

Anywayz ... don't they have one of those "Save As" thingies on most websites? If she downloads to the desktop, then she can open up directly into Word from there by browsing in Word, rather than double-clicking.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

My printer won't print. I guess the old desk top that it's hooked up to won't support it or something to that effect. Figures I just bought color and black ink to the tune of $60-. How F annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    My printer won't print. I guess the old desk top that it's hooked up to won't support it or something to that effect. Figures I just bought color and black ink to the tune of $60-. How F annoying.
    Vicki, a few questions:

Was this a standalone printer, or a multi-function machine? What was the make and model?

How many PCs do you have that you print with? How was the regular computer connected to it? Printer cable? USB? Ethernet cable (or Wi-Fi)?

Did you disconnect the printer from the PC since you last printed?

Happy Thanksgiving to all! b-ball-lunachick's Avatar

So the computer dude came up to see me this morning to give me a new mouse...also needed a new keyboard (which I love) and he couldn't believe they were having me use an older version of Notes on Windows 7 (I'm one of the only ones in my company with Windows 7) and said that might be why I'm getting the blue screen of death as they call it.

So the guy has my model of laptop and is going to image my hard drive, and then swap out hard drives once he gets that one loaded with the right versions of Lotus notes, etc. I'm a little scared but I need to trust I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post
    So the computer dude came up to see me this morning to give me a new mouse...also needed a new keyboard (which I love) and he couldn't believe they were having me use an older version of Notes on Windows 7 (I'm one of the only ones in my company with Windows 7) and said that might be why I'm getting the blue screen of death as they call it.

So the guy has my model of laptop and is going to image my hard drive, and then swap out hard drives once he gets that one loaded with the right versions of Lotus notes, etc. I'm a little scared but I need to trust I suppose.
    I haven't used Lotus Notes in like 10+ years. Do you use it for email? Database? I remember that some company that I'd worked for also used it to assign tasks to people. They check something into Notes, and people would receive their assignments by clicking on that number in Notes.

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by b-ball-lunachick View Post

I didn't realize there were other companies besides mine that use Lotus Notes. I hate it.
    2014 - New Team, New Result

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

When I try to view YouTube videos, it looks like I'm watching a photo negative (sort of). Ideas?
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    When I try to view YouTube videos, it looks like I'm watching a photo negative (sort of). Ideas?
    What kind of PC are you usin'? Do you get the same thing when watching cnn, msnbc or any other popular website that has lotsa vids?

What kind of PC are you usin'? Do you get the same thing when watching cnn, msnbc or any other popular website that has lotsa vids?

Lenovo. Windows 7. No (and not all the time at YouTube, either)
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

Lenovo. Windows 7. No (and not all the time at YouTube, either)
    Lenovo's the IBM spinoff. It should have a good video driver. From the home page of youtube, do any of the vids have a reverse color? I think they call this solarization, at least in the still photo world.

When you visit regular websites (fox, abc, espn, nytimes, etc), do the colors look normal or weird?

For the top Win PC makers (HP, Dell, Sony, Asus, Lenovo, etc), I don't know if I could fault the equipment, unless your video settings are off. How often does this happen? Please link to a vid where this happens.

Lenovo's the IBM spinoff. It should have a good video driver. From the home page of youtube, do any of the vids have a reverse color? I think they call this solarization, at least in the still photo world.

When you visit regular websites (fox, abc, espn, nytimes, etc), do the colors look normal or weird?

For the top Win PC makers (HP, Dell, Sony, Asus, Lenovo, etc), I don't know if I could fault the equipment, unless your video settings are off. How often does this happen? Please link to a vid where this happens.

Colors perfect on all other sites. Happen often? No. I will when I come across it again. Thank you, Brad.
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

Colors perfect on all other sites. Happen often? No. I will when I come across it again. Thank you, Brad.
    How old is your PC? Is it still under either manufacturer or extended warranty? If so, then you may want to contact one of their techies to see if they have a solution.

If this only happens occasionally, then it may be something needs updating, such as a video driver.

If you've got some software that's not compatible with your version of Windows, that may cause a problem also, even if not necessarily this.

How old is your PC? Is it still under either manufacturer or extended warranty? If so, then you may want to contact one of their techies to see if they have a solution.

If this only happens occasionally, then it may be something needs updating, such as a video driver.

If you've got some software that's not compatible with your version of Windows, that may cause a problem also, even if not necessarily this.
    Grazie amico mio!
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

Thread Information