+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 100 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 54 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 2487
  1. #76

    Re: The Ask anything about computers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YASS
    I used to be a symantec user, but I finally got tired of paying them every year for their bloatware. Here's what I use now:

    AVG Free Anti-Virus
    Zone Alarm Free Firewall

    That's solid protection for zero cost.


    NOTE: Of course, these are Windows products. Both of them are available for XP and Vista.
    Thanks, Yass. Free is always good.

    My wife has symantec on the home computer I'm using now through her work but I want to keep my new laptop (if I decide upon getting one) off her network. I really don't want to say she's using it for work related stuff at the house when that will not be true just to take advantage of her employers.

    Anyway, that will save a few bucks I thought I might have to spend.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  2. #77
    BACK 4 NOW... yankswn23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Harrisburg

    Re: The Ask anything about computers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84
    I don't know jack about photo shop. I want to get an Imac so I can learn how to design a product I am currently importing. Would it be hard for me to learn?
    photoshop is more 2d art, would you like to design the object in 3d, there are some easy to learn 3d modlers out there, if you just want to work on package design then photoshop is the way to go, it is not easy to learn there is a strong learning curve and it is a very powerful software pkg, I have been using it for around 4 years steady now and i am far from a master of it but I have come a long way..



  3. #78
    BACK 4 NOW... yankswn23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Harrisburg

    Re: The Ask anything about computers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YASS
    I used to be a symantec user, but I finally got tired of paying them every year for their bloatware. Here's what I use now:

    AVG Free Anti-Virus
    Zone Alarm Free Firewall

    That's solid protection for zero cost.


    NOTE: Of course, these are Windows products. Both of them are available for XP and Vista.
    Mac doesnt get viruses , also best program for spyware is adaware



  4. #79
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: The Ask anything about computers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by yankswn23
    photoshop is more 2d art, would you like to design the object in 3d, there are some easy to learn 3d modlers out there, if you just want to work on package design then photoshop is the way to go, it is not easy to learn there is a strong learning curve and it is a very powerful software pkg, I have been using it for around 4 years steady now and i am far from a master of it but I have come a long way..
    Thanks - would it be somewhat easy to kind of teach myself what to do? There is an expert in the office so she'll be able to help me along the way I assume.

  5. #80
    BACK 4 NOW... yankswn23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Harrisburg

    Re: The Ask anything about computers thread

    Yeah I assume it depends on how you learn I guess, an expert along side will not help, definetly get a good book or some magazines and do the tutorials..



  6. #81
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: The Ask anything about computers thread

    OK I got a new Vista laptop and a wireless router. My old XP machine and the new laptop are both working and online through the router. I can't get the two machines to see eachother though. How do I set up a network so I can get all my songs off the old and onto the new without burning DVDs?

    Firewall is off on both machines right now, and the Vista one can ping the XP one but not vice versa. They have corresponding IP addresses so I know thy're on the router.

  7. #82
    BACK 4 NOW... yankswn23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Harrisburg

    Re: The Ask anything about computers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan
    OK I got a new Vista laptop and a wireless router. My old XP machine and the new laptop are both working and online through the router. I can't get the two machines to see eachother though. How do I set up a network so I can get all my songs off the old and onto the new without burning DVDs?

    Firewall is off on both machines right now, and the Vista one can ping the XP one but not vice versa. They have corresponding IP addresses so I know thy're on the router.
    Set up a work group on all three machines.. viola youll be able to see each one..

    go to the folders you want and share them, any computer on your network will be able to access those folders..



  8. #83
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: The Ask anything about computers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by yankswn23
    Set up a work group on all three machines.. viola youll be able to see each one..

    go to the folders you want and share them, any computer on your network will be able to access those folders..
    Yeah, that's what I'm asking about. How do you do that? I already have stuff shared on the old, XP machine. How do I set up a workgroup. The one thing I tried, it asked if I want to set up a network disk.

  9. #84
    BACK 4 NOW... yankswn23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Harrisburg

    Re: The Ask anything about computers thread

    OH sorry right click on my computer, go to computer name, I think there it has an option to join a workgroup or domain.. keep all the names the same on each computer that should be it, just name them reboot after it asks whether you should create a network disk just answer the ? that you have what you need and then restart, do this for each computer and then go back and share the folders you want my right clicking on the folder then selecting sharing and security..



  10. #85
    NYYF Legend

    4bronxbombers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

    Re: The Ask anything about computers thread

    Hey Jason, what happened yesterday during in-game commentary? You disappeared.

  11. #86
    BACK 4 NOW... yankswn23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Harrisburg

    Re: The Ask anything about computers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers
    Hey Jason, what happened yesterday during in-game commentary? You disappeared.
    sorry in-game work happened, I had to turn it off.. after that I saw we lost.. Im not leaving a game during the regular season though



  12. #87
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Poconos, PA

    Re: The Ask anything about computers thread

    How do I transfer my entire Itunes library to another computer?
    “I may not have been the best Yankee to put on the pinstripes, but I am the proudest.”
    - Billy Martin

  13. #88
    NYYF Legend

    4bronxbombers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

    Re: The Ask anything about computers thread

    This is embarrassing. How do I load songs on my mp3 player? I've had 6 songs on it for over a year.

  14. #89
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: The Ask anything about computers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers
    This is embarrassing. How do I load songs on my mp3 player? I've had 6 songs on it for over a year.
    Your kids can't help you?

  15. #90
    BACK 4 NOW... yankswn23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Harrisburg

    Re: The Ask anything about computers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers
    This is embarrassing. How do I load songs on my mp3 player? I've had 6 songs on it for over a year.
    It depends on your mp3 player, some show up as a drive when you plug it in then all you do is open it and then drag the files from your music folder over to the player



  16. #91
    BACK 4 NOW... yankswn23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Harrisburg

    Re: The Ask anything about computers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BillBuckner
    How do I transfer my entire Itunes library to another computer?
    best thing to do is set up a network of the two computers

    computer a is old computer, computer b is new computer

    set up both computers in a work group..see above posts..
    share your music folder on computer a

    go to computer b, open itunes, go to file import songs, then select your folder from computer a it should copy them all over in due time..

    also you could go to computer b open up itunes.. some where in file or preferences there is a backup my itunes library to disk or something similar..



  17. #92
    BACK 4 NOW... yankswn23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Harrisburg

    Re: The Ask anything about computers thread

    Rhody how is the networking coming along?



  18. #93
    Released Outright
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Westchester-ish

    Re: The Ask anything about computers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by yankswn23
    best thing to do is set up a network of the two computers

    computer a is old computer, computer b is new computer

    set up both computers in a work group..see above posts..
    share your music folder on computer a

    go to computer b, open itunes, go to file import songs, then select your folder from computer a it should copy them all over in due time..

    also you could go to computer b open up itunes.. some where in file or preferences there is a backup my itunes library to disk or something similar..
    This works well. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302392

  19. #94
    Smashed 5 cellphones due to... Espinosa's Glasses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    In your closet

    Re: The Ask anything about computers thread

    My brother's computer... all of the usb ports are shot... all of them do not work... they all died out at the same time...

    Now, he said he ran a million virus scans and he is good... but this sounds like a virus to me... or is it possible that they all could just simultaneously not work?

  20. #95
    Junior Birdman YASS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Up in the air

    Re: The Ask anything about computers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Espinosa's Glasses
    My brother's computer... all of the usb ports are shot... all of them do not work... they all died out at the same time...

    Now, he said he ran a million virus scans and he is good... but this sounds like a virus to me... or is it possible that they all could just simultaneously not work?
    It could happen easily if all of the USB ports were on the same root hub.
    Watch this space for a pithy new signature, now under construction!

  21. #96
    BACK 4 NOW... yankswn23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Harrisburg

    Re: The Ask anything about computers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YASS
    It could happen easily if all of the USB ports were on the same root hub.
    It could be, my dad had issues not having XP SP 2 installed which provides USB 2.0 updates, best thing to do is to right click my computer go into manage, Device manager, you should see some USB devices prob in yellow, I would right click and uninstall those, let those reinstall with auto finding the drivers and it might fix it, could have been driver got corrupted..



  22. #97
    NYYF Legend

    Sam18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

    Re: The Ask anything about computers thread

    What is the best and easiest program to use to burn DVDs that I can play on my tv? I have lots of porn that I wanna enjoy while sitting on my couch.
    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yeah, I'm definitely straight, but I might have made an exception for him.

  23. #98
    Smashed 5 cellphones due to... Espinosa's Glasses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    In your closet

    Re: The Ask anything about computers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YASS
    It could happen easily if all of the USB ports were on the same root hub.
    Meaning they could all burn out at the same time??

  24. #99
    Junior Birdman YASS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Up in the air

    Re: The Ask anything about computers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Espinosa's Glasses
    Meaning they could all burn out at the same time??
    No, meaning that the hub could be damaged (or poorly connected to the motherboard), disabling the entire USB bus.
    Watch this space for a pithy new signature, now under construction!

  25. #100
    NYYF HOF

    RJ44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    125 miles from the Great Hall

    Re: The Ask anything about computers thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam18
    What is the best and easiest program to use to burn DVDs that I can play on my tv? I have lots of porn that I wanna enjoy while sitting on my couch.
    If you have the DVD and a dvd player, you don't need to make a copy. Just put SB I-XX in your dvd changer and have at it!

    My heroes, my dreams, and my future lay in Yankee Stadium. And they can’t take that away from me. —Derek Jeter

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts