+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 100 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 53 ... LastLast
    Released Outright

Re: The Ask anything about computers thread

Definitely the Vista laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by BronxBaumer
    Definitely the Vista laptop.
    Well, definitely is definitely. Any particular reasons?

I like XP and have heard so many bad comments about Vista I thought it was something I should try to avoid. I'm actually surprised to hear you say that (not that I know anything)
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Released Outright

My main concern is XP is old technology and it is going to eventually have to be left behind. At which point you'll need to buy more memory and pay for Vista. If you are in a position to get Vista for the same price with double the memory, you might as well save the money.

Quote Originally Posted by BronxBaumer
    Thanks. Perhaps I will check that out when I get home. I am OK with the screen the way it is but my totally-new-to-computers boyfriend thinks it makes my MacBook defective somehow.

Thank you for all the other responses.

Living Life Outloud yankeeschic12324's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xenadanielle
    Thanks. Perhaps I will check that out when I get home. I am OK with the screen the way it is but my totally-new-to-computers boyfriend thinks it makes my MacBook defective somehow.

Thank you for all the other responses.
    Tell him, "you're defective".
    My Native American name is RunsWithCrashCart.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeeschic12324
    Tell him, "you're defective".

Well, yeah, of course he is. Bah ha ha.

Seriously though his attitude is "for that kind of money I should see it on the whole screen" Whatever dude; it's not your HDTV...

NYYF Legend

How does it work?

We said you can ask anything about computers.. we didn't say we would answer anything

Mr. Know-It-All Casey at the Bat's Avatar

Well, yeah, of course he is. Bah ha ha.

Seriously though his attitude is "for that kind of money I should see it on the whole screen" Whatever dude; it's not your HDTV...
    tell him Steve Jobs said it didnt need to go full screen, so it must be so.

NYYF Legend

Can I catch a virus from my computer?

Quote Originally Posted by CptCrunch
    Can I catch a virus from my computer?
    Of course.
    Pardon, for us.

Released Outright

Only if you don't use protection.

Released Outright

I am finally getting around to asking you something here! If you recall I am the noob MacBook owner from the LOT.

Anyhoo--I have tried to find this out by reading other Mac-related forums but I am sort of confused by what I've found: is there any way to get web pages in full screen mode in Safari?
    Danielle, somehow I think I'm misreading your question because the answer I have is way too simple but in the lowest right hand corner of the web page, there is a tiny almost invisible triangle. Click and drag that corner down to stretch the screen.

(and download Firefox. Safari sucks. )

Quote Originally Posted by yankeebot
    Danielle, somehow I think I'm misreading your question because the answer I have is way too simple but in the lowest right hand corner of the web page, there is a tiny almost invisible triangle. Click and drag that corner down to stretch the screen.

(and download Firefox. Safari sucks. )
    Thanks Linda! That was one of the tips I saw in various forums but have not even tried it yet.

Actually I am still trying to master the "dragging" feature if you must know.

Thanks Linda! That was one of the tips I saw in various forums but have not even tried it yet.

Actually I am still trying to master the "dragging" feature if you must know.
    Sorry sometimes with my computer knowledge I miss the obvious drag down the corner answer.. either way get firefox

I think this is what you really want though.. for Full screen:

Full Screen: How can you make your Safari Browser window quickly expand to fill your full screen? Easy, just drag and drop the link below to your bookmarks bar OR bookmarks folder. Then click on it and the simple JavaScript will expand your browser to fill all available screen real estate. Drag this link to your bookmarks bar/folder* (feel free to edit the name of the bookmark):

javascript:self.moveTo(0,0);self.resizeTo(screen.availWidth,screen.availHeight);

What virus protection software do you recommend with a new computer? I was looking at Norton 360 but I read somewhere that it wasn't compatible with Firefox (is that true?). If so, that's a problem for me.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

I have yet to use virus software on any of my computers in 10 years I think it is a joke, any way if you have vista defender should be included, NOrton is always good 360 I think is a fancy wrapper for the old norton but easier to use..

Seriously I think the makers of Norton and all those anti virus softwares actually hire people to write them I don't think they are harmful just detected, the only ones you need to worry about are the big worms that threaten corporate offices every so many years.. that is my opinion on that matter..

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs
    What virus protection software do you recommend with a new computer? I was looking at Norton 360 but I read somewhere that it wasn't compatible with Firefox (is that true?). If so, that's a problem for me.
    Muggsy, is your ISP Comcast?

Quote Originally Posted by gdn
    Muggsy, is your ISP Comcast?
    It is and isn't (long story, but my internet hosting company is adelphia even though comcast is the company I send the bills to.). I'm caught in limbo for the time being and I'm not able to access comcast's free anti-virus stuff if that is what you're getting at?

NYYF Legend

It is and isn't (long story, but my internet hosting company is adelphia even though comcast is the company I send the bills to.). I'm caught in limbo for the time being and I'm not able to access comcast's free anti-virus stuff if that is what you're getting at?
    Yes, that is what I was getting at.

Released Outright

I got my Hackintosh running today. I'm pretty proud of that.

NYYF Legend

I don't know jack about photo shop. I want to get an Imac so I can learn how to design a product I am currently importing. Would it be hard for me to learn?

I used to be a symantec user, but I finally got tired of paying them every year for their bloatware. Here's what I use now:

AVG Free Anti-Virus
    Zone Alarm Free Firewall

That's solid protection for zero cost.

NOTE: Of course, these are Windows products. Both of them are available for XP and Vista.
    Watch this space for a pithy new signature, now under construction!

Personally, I think they all are mediocre. I've tried Norton, McAfee, but Windows Live OneCare actually works the best for me. I know I'll probably get slammed for endorsing an MS product, but I've had the least issues with that one and it's cheap.
    Spring Training is just around the corner!

Thread Information