+ Reply to Thread
Page 88 of 100 FirstFirst ... 38 78 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 98 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,200 of 2487

Re: The Ask anything about computers thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Malwarebytes will sometimes let some things like toolbars and pop-ups go. It's good for the really bad stuff, though.

Maybe the settings can be tweaked to adjust what it catches and what it lets pass-- I don't know.
    their file assassin works pretty well but that's a little more user intensive
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

So... did you get rid of it, Vicky?

Now that I restored Vista and all seems to be working I'm contemplating performing a Windows 7 upgrade download. Is there any real advantage to doing that? My thought is my computer is a few years old and it doesn't have the fastest processor in the world and supposedly Windows 7 isn't as resource hungry as Vista.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Just about everything.

On the advice of my IT guy son I reinstalled the operating system (luckily I have the original disks) which was a pain having to wade through massive Microsoft and driver updates and then systematically reinstalling everything that was lost on the computer through the original reinstall but all seems to be working smoothly now. There were a couple moments, though, when I thought "do I really want to do this?

For as much of a pain as doing this was I think next time (and hopefully there will not be a next time having to do this) I'll just buy a new computer.
    I'm curious, what's the reason that yer IT guy (aka, the male offspring) said as to reinstalling the OS? I've only heard this done when the system wasn't working right.

I remember people doing this when they'd somehow loaded an app or some bug that couldn't be rid of otherwise. I think that this was in the AOL dial-up days before people used broadband routinely.

Does your system run smoother and PITA-free (PITA = free pain in the arse), as opposed to previously?

Mine is doing fine. I just need to backup some stuff, including my settings, so that when I do a restore, it's from recent point, rather than sometime last year.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by krystl View Post
    I like malwarebytes too.

Vick, a while back Nick installed Oovoo on my computer too. What a pain in the butt it was. I don't know if I had the toolbars like you, but it slowed everything down and wouldn't go away. I eventually got rid of it, but I don't remember how.
    I never heard of it until the other night. I finally got rid of it and the 2 stupid toolbars that installed when he got the ooVoo too. Now he's accessing it on Matt's iPhone. I'm sure it's some dumb fad that will eventually go away.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    So... did you get rid of it, Vicky?

Now that I restored Vista and all seems to be working I'm contemplating performing a Windows 7 upgrade download. Is there any real advantage to doing that? My thought is my computer is a few years old and it doesn't have the fastest processor in the world and supposedly Windows 7 isn't as resource hungry as Vista.
    Yes I finally did get rid of the damn software but I wasted so much time doing that instead of doing my work. He apologized and we reminded him again not to install anything on the computers unless he asks.

His latest - he put out about 20 flyers for mowing lawns for 20- so he can buy his own little netbook.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    Yes I finally did get rid of the damn software but I wasted so much time doing that instead of doing my work. He apologized and we reminded him again not to install anything on the computers unless he asks.

His latest - he put out about 20 flyers for mowing lawns for 20- so he can buy his own little netbook.
    Smart kid!
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

NYYF Legend

So I have Firefox and when I logged on the computer, I got a message that said Firefox is not found on this server, yet I could get on to internet none the less this morning.
    When I got home, it didn't let me on at all and then it did on another attempt
    yet apparently I'm not on Firefox which is totally weird...
    any ideas?
    No Rally Monkeys, Towels or hankies
    Just 50,000 fans of the New York Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by wexy View Post
    So I have Firefox and when I logged on the computer, I got a message that said Firefox is not found on this server, yet I could get on to internet none the less this morning.
    any ideas?
    Could be a browser hijacker or some other type of spyware. Run a scan using one of the programs mentioned above for Vicki's ooVoo issue.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by wexy View Post
    any ideas?
    By server in the first paragraph, you mean at work?

Which operating system(s) are you on at for the server? Which version of Firefox (from "Help, About")? Same for home.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

I just got a MacBook. How can I get all my files/pics/songs from my Windows7 machine to the MacBook? I have an external HD with all that stuff on it, but I'm wondering if it will reformat when I plug it in to the Mac thus erasing everyting on it. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    I just got a MacBook. How can I get all my files/pics/songs from my Windows7 machine to the MacBook? I have an external HD with all that stuff on it, but I'm wondering if it will reformat when I plug it in to the Mac thus erasing everyting on it. Thoughts?
    Once you go Mac...
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=644480

http://www.trickyways.com/2011/07/fi...-pc-windows-7/

NYYF Legend

Very late to the party but I just switched to Google Chrome and I'm loving it.
    My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiRocks View Post
    I have been using Google Chrome for a while now. The only problem is sometimes it isn't supported on certain sites or forms. But I have Internet Explorer if I need it.

I have been using Google Chrome for a while now. The only problem is sometimes it isn't supported on certain sites or forms. But I have Internet Explorer if I need it.
    Get IE tab: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...bkbammjbdenadd

It puts a button up on the toolbar. When I come to a site that doesn't open on Chrome (like ABC news for some reason) I just click the button and it open the page in an IE tab.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

NYYF Legend

Get IE tab: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...bkbammjbdenadd

It puts a button up on the toolbar. When I come to a site that doesn't open on Chrome (like ABC news for some reason) I just click the button and it open the page in an IE tab.
    That's pretty cool. Thanks.

NYYF Legend

That's pretty cool. Thanks.
    How does he know all this isht?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers View Post
    How does he know all this isht?
    Probably has nothing else to do.
    My entire life can be described in one sentence: It didn't go as planned and that's okay.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

I have a Nook Tablet that I want to watch movies on when I travel. I own the movie (digital copy came with the BluRay) and I have been able to transfer the file to my SD card that's in the Nook, but when I go to play the file it won't work. Do I need to convert it from whatever iTunes movies are (mp4?) to something else or is there not a media player program on the crappy dumbed down Nook version of Android?

I have a Nook Tablet that I want to watch movies on when I travel. I own the movie (digital copy came with the BluRay) and I have been able to transfer the file to my SD card that's in the Nook, but when I go to play the file it won't work. Do I need to convert it from whatever iTunes movies are (mp4?) to something else or is there not a media player program on the crappy dumbed down Nook version of Android?
    Download Handbrake (it's free) and encode movies using the 'High profile' preset: http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

DVDCatalyst has a specific Nook setting, but it costs $9.95: http://www.tools4movies.com/2011/11/dvd-catalyst/
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Download Handbrake (it's free) and encode movies using the 'High profile' preset: http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

DVDCatalyst has a specific Nook setting, but it costs $9.95: http://www.tools4movies.com/2011/11/dvd-catalyst/
    I definitely recommend handbrake.

How have I not seen this thread? Doubtful I have many questions buy may be able to help with some answers from time to time. When other kids were playing with other kids I was playing with my C64. Wasnt like the Yankees were fun to watch back then =P
    "A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."

I love baseball in general and the Yankees just happen to be my favorite team since I knew what baseball was.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffman View Post
    I definitely recommend handbrake.

How have I not seen this thread? Doubtful I have many questions buy may be able to help with some answers from time to time. When other kids were playing with other kids I was playing with my C64. Wasnt like the Yankees were fun to watch back then =P
    "Another visitor. Stay a while. Stay forever!"
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

"Another visitor. Stay a while. Stay forever!"
    Now you are showing your age

I love baseball in general and the Yankees just happen to be my favorite team since I knew what baseball was.

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiRocks View Post
    What's so good about it?

Oh yeah, I just figured out why my email thingies kept popping up. I'd cancelled my last ISP, but had forgotten to disable the email from updating. Now that I've done this, I don't have the popup saying that my email is invalid. Oh, and it was popping up like a psychedelic schizomaniac on steroids (+ Prozac).

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    What's so good about it?
    I use chromium (open source chrome) for alot of my basic browsing because it is fast. I use it on Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7. I also use Waterfox (64bit flavor of firefox) depending on my mood of the day.

I do have IE but it only really gets used for testing friends stuff. It has gotten better over the years but I will probably never be a fan.

Thread Information