+ Reply to Thread
Page 86 of 100 FirstFirst ... 36 76 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 96 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 2491
    37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Re: The Ask anything about computers thread

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I hear you, E.

It claims it is CE and UL rated but I imagine that can be faked fairly easily.

I bought it on Amazon (as my kid calls Amazon - the WalMart of the internet) and it had a ton of reviews going back over 3 years. While the reviews had the usual mix of people claiming it was the best battery for the dollar ever created and other people who said it was junk, there were no mentions by anyone about it overheating and causing a fire. So I took that as a good sign.

Dell had a ton of problems with their own OEM batteries so I don't think there are any guarantees.
    You can verify UL markings through UL.

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/t...AME/index.html

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    Really? I had a battery recalled for my laptop...

http://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/20/h...-recall-again/
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/22910...d_to_know.html

After working for a medical device manufacturer for 5 years, and knowing the strenuous testing UL does before putting their logo on something, I insist on seeing the logo. I bought replacement for a dead laptop battery, the guy claimed it was the same as the Dell battery, but it came from china, and had no safety certifications. Even though he said no refunds, as is, blah blah, i got my money back.

When we were shopping for a new washer/dryer, i checked the serial plate on every device for the UL symbol. Even had the salesman pull one away from the other units, because the serial plate was not easily viewable.
    Apparently, I'd forgotten to reply to this post. Here's my reply:

I'm not saying that UL certification isn't important. What I'd like to know is what the logo looks like. I remember it used to look like "UL" w/some kind of streaks or something on the edges. I don't see anything like this on my laptop's OEM battery, so how would I know which ones are UL-approved, and which ones aren't when I don't see the logo on my laptop's original battery?
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    Apparently, I'd forgotten to reply to this post. Here's my reply:

I'm not saying that UL certification isn't important. What I'd like to know is what the logo looks like. I remember it used to look like "UL" w/some kind of streaks or something on the edges. I don't see anything like this on my laptop's OEM battery, so how would I know which ones are UL-approved, and which ones aren't when I don't see the logo on my laptop's original battery?
    UL logo is a UL in a circle.
    There are other marks you could look for, such as an RU (the R is backwards) which is a recognized component.

http://ul.com/global/eng/pages/corpo.../ulmarks/mark/

There could be other certification marks, depending on the county of origin. Some equipment has multiple certification marks because of different national regulations.

TUV (https://www.google.com/search?q=tuv+...w=1024&bih=580) is another one you could look for.

laptop-3rd-party-battery.jpg

^^ Eric, that's the 3rd party laptop battery that I have, from my cell phone's camera. It's apparently UL-rated, based upon the info that you've supplied (web links).
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Everybody online, but nobody uses computers no more? Wazzup wit dat? Sheesh.

I'm considering getting a smaller laptop. I have a 15.6". I knew beforehand that I should've just gotten a 14" or so. What size do people here have?

The one I'm looking at is 11.6", which is about the smallest that I can look at in peace. Carrying the standard-sized laptop around can be a pain in the arse.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee View Post
    Attachment 20839

^^ Eric, that's the 3rd party laptop battery that I have, from my cell phone's camera. It's apparently UL-rated, based upon the info that you've supplied (web links).
    Yes, I would accept that. And a quick search showed that E236872 is SONY.

But between the RU and the CE, I would be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_E View Post
    Yes, I would accept that. And a quick search showed that E236872 is SONY.

But between the RU and the CE, I would be OK.
    Sounds good. I've decided to pare down the thingies I bring on the road. Too darned heavy that bag was. Now even the bag I'd used got too heavy, so I'm back to using the big backpack that I'd just retired.

I'll use the 3rd party batteries only if the regular one runs out of juice on me. Until then, I'll just carry around the others.

NYYF Legend

Re small laptops, I have an Acer Aspire1. It's got an 11.6" screen, which is fine for me. It has most of the features of a bigger laptop (webcam, 3 USB slots, SD card slot), but it does not have a CD drive. I don't miss it and if I do need to load a CD for any reason, I use the external CD drive we have. But I think I have only used it once or twice. The laptop weighs a little under 3 lbs, so it's very portable.

After having a few larger laptops in the past, I can't say I really miss the bigger screen.
    You know you're an addict when you put Crackbook on your Crackberry. -Toaderly

Quote Originally Posted by krystl View Post
    Re small laptops, I have an Acer Aspire1. It's got an 11.6" screen, which is fine for me. It has most of the features of a bigger laptop (webcam, 3 USB slots, SD card slot), but it does not have a CD drive. I don't miss it and if I do need to load a CD for any reason, I use the external CD drive we have. But I think I have only used it once or twice. The laptop weighs a little under 3 lbs, so it's very portable.

After having a few larger laptops in the past, I can't say I really miss the bigger screen.
    That's the model I was going to get, since my 15.6" is an Acer Aspire.

I'd picked up a DVD-RW+-, but that didn't seem to work too reliably. I had to use some pin or a clip in order to open it, which would've been a major pain. I'll have to get a new DVD driver before I get this one.

Do the 14" models come w/built-in DVD? I would've gotten one of those, which even came w/Microsoft Office, but that was $600.

NYYF Legend

I'm not sure if the 14" model comes with a dvd drive, but I think so. I just use my little Acer for online stuff mostly, so I really don't need the drive. I have a print graphics program I use to make hubbys business cards, so I loaded the CD to install the program with the external drive and that was it. I don't need the CD to run the program.

I think I paid about $300 at walmart for my little Acer. I'm very happy with it.

When you find the model you want, check out cedarpc.com before you buy.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Quote Originally Posted by krystl View Post
    I'm not sure if the 14" model comes with a dvd drive, but I think so. I just use my little Acer for online stuff mostly, so I really don't need the drive. I have a print graphics program I use to make hubbys business cards, so I loaded the CD to install the program with the external drive and that was it. I don't need the CD to run the program.

I think I paid about $300 at walmart for my little Acer. I'm very happy with it.
    I'll see who has a DVD-RW. They shouldn't be too hard to come by, especially on ebay. I'll just have to find one that isn't a pain in the keester to use. The Blu-Ray burners hold a lot more (50GB, I think), but cost like $120 for a Sony. I'll have to settle for the $25-30 DVD burners.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    When you find the model you want, check out cedarpc.com before you buy.
    I'll see what their prices look like for similar models. I'd really have preferred an Asus or a Lenovo, but those are pricier than what I'm looking for.

NYYF Legend

URGENT NOTICE for Owners/Administrators of Windows Professional or Server

Microsoft yesterday released a level 1 critical patch yesterday for the MS12-020 exploit. If you have Windows Professional or Server with or without Remote Desktop enabled, you must immediately apply patch KB2621440 and/or KB2667402.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...letin/ms12-020

This is the most serious exploit in a very long time, it allows any programmer the ability to compromise any RDC enabled windows machine. This is going to launch a wave of worms and viruses across the globe very soon, and leave sensitive corporate, government, and personal computers COMPLETELY OPEN to anyone with a working knowledge of this exploit.

NYYF Legend

Re: URGENT NOTICE for Owners/Administrators of Windows Professional or Server

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Microsoft yesterday released a level 1 critical patch yesterday for the MS12-020 exploit. If you have Windows Professional or Server with or without Remote Desktop enabled, you must immediately apply patch KB2621440 and/or KB2667402.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...letin/ms12-020

This is the most serious exploit in a very long time, it allows any programmer the ability to compromise any RDC enabled windows machine. This is going to launch a wave of worms and viruses across the globe very soon, and leave sensitive corporate, government, and personal computers COMPLETELY OPEN to anyone with a working knowledge of this exploit.
    Yeah, I got it last night. Today I checked to be sure Remote Desktop was disabled on my computers. For Windows 7, go to Control Panel....System, then click on Remote Settings way on the left. Go to the Remote tab and clear the checkbox that says Allow Remote Assistance... Then, lower down under Remote Desktop, click the top radio button that says "Don't Allow Connections to this computer"

This assumes you don't actually NEED these things. I have always distrusted this capability and disabled it wherever I saw it..
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Oops! I pooped on your things! __starr69's Avatar

Does anyone have an idea how to use a font on PhotoShop without installing it on your computer? The computers at school have PhotoShop, but I obviously don't have the permissions to install anything onto the hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by __starr69 View Post
    Does anyone have an idea how to use a font on PhotoShop without installing it on your computer? The computers at school have PhotoShop, but I obviously don't have the permissions to install anything onto the hard drive.
    I'm pretty sure you need to install it, unless you cut and paste each individual letter from a source picture. But that would be a PITA and probably not come out too good.

EDIT: I found this, but I don't know if it works-- it's for Adobe Elements-- maybe it will work in PS:
    double click on the font file (first make sure it’s unzipped if it’s zipped). That should open a window where you can view the font. Leave that font window open; you can minimize it to get it out of the way, if you wish. Now restart Elements and you should be able to find that font in your font picker drop-down in the Type tool’s option bar at the top of the workspace.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Oops! I pooped on your things! __starr69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I'm pretty sure you need to install it, unless you cut and paste each individual letter from a source picture. But that would be a PITA and probably not come out too good.

EDIT: I found this, but I don't know if it works-- it's for Adobe Elements-- maybe it will work in PS:
    Thank you, but that didn't work. I may have to settle for one of the generic ones. It's only 14 letters so maybe I can get away with copy & paste if I do it right?

Quote Originally Posted by __starr69 View Post
    Thank you, but that didn't work. I may have to settle for one of the generic ones. It's only 14 letters so maybe I can get away with copy & paste if I do it right?
    Is the problem that you don't have PS at home? If you need any help from me I'd be glad to give it a shot.
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Crow,Tony,Joe,Yogi,Riz,2 Joes Tifoso's Avatar

Help please.

This morning no iPhone AND no computer was working at my house. This afternoon the phones came back, but still no computers.

Phones and computers both through AT&T.

The phones are not set to WiFi.

Ideas?
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

NYYF Legend

I assume you mean the internet is not working, not the computers themselves. What kind of internet is it? DSL, 3g/4G, cable?

Did you do a cold reset on modem, router and computer?? This cures more than half of all internet problems without ever really finding out what it was.

Basically, unplug or turn off all three. Wait one minute. Fire up in this order: Modem...router....computer.

AT&T or whomever will make you do it anyway.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    I assume you mean the internet is not working, not the computers themselves. What kind of internet is it? DSL, 3g/4G, cable?

Did you do a cold reset on modem, router and computer?? This cures more than half of all internet problems without ever really finding out what it was.

Basically, unplug or turn off all three. Wait one minute. Fire up in this order: Modem...router....computer.

AT&T or whomever will make you do it anyway.
    Yes, I meant internet DSL

I will try that (I am not home).

Grazie, fratello
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Tifoso View Post
    Yes, I meant internet DSL

I will try that (I am not home).

Grazie, fratello
    De nada, meu bem.

With DSL, there are probably three lights on the modem. Wait until two are on, then fire up the router. If the second one just flashes, give it a minute to stabilize, then fire up the router.

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    De nada, meu bem.

With DSL, there are probably three lights on the modem. Wait until two are on, then fire up the router. If the second one just flashes, give it a minute to stabilize, then fire up the router.

I will. Thanks again!
    -Lou 27 (28 in 2015)
    Totus Tuus

Is there a particular reason why the average laptop is 15.6", while the largest size that fits comfortably into a non-oversized backpack is 14.1"? Just wonderin', that's all.

I'm still wonderin' how people walk around with the 17.3" models.

Thread Information