+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 56 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: The Ask anything about computers thread

I am looking to buy a used, good condition iMac with 20' inch screen. The cost of a new one on apple.com is $1199. How much should I expect to pay? I need it to be worth it to buy it used, otherwise I'll buy a brand new one.

Quote Originally Posted by gsars5
    Does anybody know how to find my ip address on my computer? It's dial-up and Windows 98. I tried to type 'ipconfig' in the run box but it pops up for a second then disappears. I need to find this out because my credit card info was used to purchase something from an internet company and this was the info they gave me. I want to see if I can track this down and make sure it wasn't done from my pc.

Thanks,

Greg
    you can run cmd to get the dos prompt then type in the ipconfig, if you can't you can find the dos command prompt in the programs section it might be under accessories if I remember correctly..

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84
    I am looking to buy a used, good condition iMac with 20' inch screen. The cost of a new one on apple.com is $1199. How much should I expect to pay? I need it to be worth it to buy it used, otherwise I'll buy a brand new one.
    check out refurbished ones at the apple store, you can save alot and you know it is good quality if apple has refurbished, me personally if it is a 100 bucks or so its prob best to buy it new when it comes to a computer, if you buy one used you dont know if they have voided the warranty till apple goes to fix it..

Refurbished iMac 20-inch 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Limited Time Special Price

20-inch glossy widescreen display
    1GB memory
    250GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128MB memory
    Built-in iSight Camera

Learn More

• Save 17% off the original price

this is for 999.00 on their site..

Quote Originally Posted by yankswn23
    check out refurbished ones at the apple store, you can save alot and you know it is good quality if apple has refurbished, me personally if it is a 100 bucks or so its prob best to buy it new when it comes to a computer, if you buy one used you dont know if they have voided the warranty till apple goes to fix it..
    I thought about going that route but I'm concerned sometimes for whatever reason, maybe even just kismet, a computer is simply a lemon and I don't want to get stuck with someone else's problems.

So, my question is does anyone have any experience buying a refurbished computer from one the manufactures? (say like Dell?)
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Kudos to the computer Gurus we have here. thanks for all your help.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by yankswn23
    you can run cmd to get the dos prompt then type in the ipconfig, if you can't you can find the dos command prompt in the programs section it might be under accessories if I remember correctly..
    I tried to type 'cmd' and I get, file can't be found. Where in accessories do I find the dos prompt? Thanks.
    BOSTON STILL SUCKS!!!!!

WHATEVER YOU DO...DON'T FRAKK IT UP!!!!!

I tried to type 'cmd' and I get, file can't be found. Where in accessories do I find the dos prompt? Thanks.
    I can't remember for 98 try utilities.. I though however it might be an icon in my programs somewhere in the main screen before you go into any sub folders

Oh and just to let you know most people expect a new imac with the new penryn proccessor in the next couple of weeks so the price may drop even further..

NYYF Legend

Does anybody know how to find my ip address on my computer? It's dial-up and Windows 98. I tried to type 'ipconfig' in the run box but it pops up for a second then disappears. I need to find this out because my credit card info was used to purchase something from an internet company and this was the info they gave me. I want to see if I can track this down and make sure it wasn't done from my pc.

Thanks,

Greg
    I'm not sure how helpful that info would be to you because a dial-up ISP will usually assign a different IP address each time you dial in.

Quote Originally Posted by CptCrunch
    I'm not sure how helpful that info would be to you because a dial-up ISP will usually assign a different IP address each time you dial in.
    ahhh.. didn't notice it was a dial up..unless you have it set to set a static IP the ip would change each time that is correct..

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs
    I thought about going that route but I'm concerned sometimes for whatever reason, maybe even just kismet, a computer is simply a lemon and I don't want to get stuck with someone else's problems.

So, my question is does anyone have any experience buying a refurbished computer from one the manufactures? (say like Dell?)
    I bought a Dell refurb laptop for my sister in 2001. It was horribly obsolete after a few years so she upgraded to a newer laptop, but the refurb is still kicking.

You can navigate to C:\WINDOWS\System and look for cmd.exe (that's where it should be, anyway. When you find it, just double click on it to open a command window.

It is true that if your connection is dial-up, you're probably going to get a new IP address every time, but chances are the first two segments of the IP address will always be the same, so you might be able to rule out an IP address as having belonged to you if there's a mismatch in that part of the address.
    Watch this space for a pithy new signature, now under construction!

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by YASS
    You can navigate to C:\WINDOWS\System and look for cmd.exe (that's where it should be, anyway. When you find it, just double click on it to open a command window.

It is true that if your connection is dial-up, you're probably going to get a new IP address every time, but chances are the first two segments of the IP address will always be the same, so you might be able to rule out an IP address as having belonged to you if there's a mismatch in that part of the address.
    Ok, I did that and I get a whole bunch of folders and windows with initials but I don't see cmd.exe. Could it have a different initial?
    BOSTON STILL SUCKS!!!!!

Living Life Outloud yankeeschic12324's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yankeebot
    You might want to get an external HD and copy your photos to it as well.
    I was thinking I might do that as well at some point....
    My Native American name is RunsWithCrashCart.

Ok, I did that and I get a whole bunch of folders and windows with initials but I don't see cmd.exe. Could it have a different initial?
    Hmmm ... that's where I'd expect it to be.

All I can suggest at this point is to do a find (Start->Find) for the file 'cmd.exe' and see if it's anywhere else.

NYYF Cy Young

All I can suggest at this point is to do a find (Start->Find) for the file 'cmd.exe' and see if it's anywhere else.
    That didn't work. Could it be somewhere in the dial-up window's settings?
    BOSTON STILL SUCKS!!!!!

That didn't work. Could it be somewhere in the dial-up window's settings?
    You know, I got so hung up on getting you a command window, I forgot all about the windows version of ipconfig.

Try this: Select 'Start', then 'Run ...', and type 'winipcfg'

Released Outright

IIRC, with 98, you can right click My Network Places, choose Properties, then TCP/IP, then Properties again, and the IP Address tab. But I may have forgotten something.

NYYF Cy Young

You know, I got so hung up on getting you a command window, I forgot all about the windows version of ipconfig.

Try this: Select 'Start', then 'Run ...', and type 'winipcfg'
    Yes, that's what the windows help page had me do. Now I have a window that says IP configuration, are the numbers next to adapter addess my ip address?
    BOSTON STILL SUCKS!!!!!

Yes, that's what the windows help page had me do. Now I have a window that says IP configuration, are the numbers next to adapter addess my ip address?
    I don't remember too much about what winipcfg looks like because it's been several years since I used Windows 98.

An IP address usually is presented as 4 numbers (0-256) separated by dots, like this: 192.168.0.1

Since yours is a dialup connection, it should be a PPP adapter.

NYYF Cy Young

I don't remember too much about what winipcfg looks like because it's been several years since I used Windows 98.

An IP address usually is presented as 4 numbers (0-256) separated by dots, like this: 192.168.0.1

Since yours is a dialup connection, it should be a PPP adapter.
    Yes, it says PPP adapter, the adapter addess, then the IP addess, but it just says 0.0.0.0
    BOSTON STILL SUCKS!!!!!

didn't windows 98 still have DOS, so it might be in that directory..don't think cmd was introduced until 2000

actully try typing in winipcfg in the run box.. if I remember right that might be what you need..

Yes, it says PPP adapter, the adapter addess, then the IP addess, but it just says 0.0.0.0
    I have to say I'm stumped.

Sorry I couldn't help.

I dont think you will have an ip address unless the modem is actually connected..

NYYF Cy Young

I have to say I'm stumped.

Sorry I couldn't help.
    Thanks anyway.
    BOSTON STILL SUCKS!!!!!

Thread Information