+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 63 ... LastLast

Re: The Ask anything about computers thread

how old is the desktop, does it have a good video card, most desktops in the last 10 years have an svideo port out so you can hook it up to your tv, you can also get a vga cable to a comp cable if you have a fairly new tv, then you can use your tv as a monitor..it all depends on the desktop

Quote Originally Posted by YASS
    Well, if you have a desktop with a monitor, you can use that. Most laptops have an external analog monitor connector that you can just connect to your monitor with a cable.

A couple of possible roadblocks:
    • The external video output on your laptop might be disabled. If so, I don't know how you're going to enable it without having a screen to look at.
    • Your monitor is a flat screen, which might have a digital video connector, an analog video connector, or both. If it's only got digital, you'll need an analog connector adapter.
    It might just be easier to connect to it over your home network and move everything that way. Or open the case and remove the laptop hard drive and put it in one of those cheap USB external drive enclosures and plug it in to your desktop.
    He is trying to get the data off of his Desktop..

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee
    I still can't figure out how, using Win XP Pro-SP2, to allow the new usernames I've created (limited accounts) the ability to get online. Using the Network connections on the Admin username, I can just hit "Enable" and I'm online. Using one of the other usernames, I can't get online.

Any ideas how to do this?
    How "limited" are they

Do you have remote desktop connection enabled on the desktop, if you had it before you can create a virtual desktop of your pc on your laptop, but you would have had to set this up and use it before..

Quote Originally Posted by yankswn23
    He is trying to get the data off of his Desktop..
    Duh. My bad.
    Watch this space for a pithy new signature, now under construction!

Duh. My bad.
    Red sox fans.. jk..

it was a well thought out plan for a laptop though..

NYYF Legend

Duh. My bad.
    I told you that you'd rue that day.

Quote Originally Posted by CptCrunch
    I told you that you'd rue that day.
    I am continuing to rue that day even as we speak. Oh, woe is me.

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by yankswn23
    How "limited" are they
    Under "Admin", I've created a new user, named it. I'm given a choice between "Admin" (full rights + privileges) or "Limited User".

I wasn't expecting an in-between, but I have no idea how, while logged in as an Admin under XP Pro-SP2, to grant Internet rights to the Limited User account.

Any ideas?
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

Okay... so this is not a computer problem, per se, more like a router problem for the technically-challenged. For the longest time I've stalled on password-protecting my internet connection, just because I couldn't figure out how to do it. But my dad just got a letter from Time Warner Cable that someone spammed someone else using our connection and they got a complaint about it.

That being said, I'm now earnestly trying to figure out how to set a WEP or WPA... except, I got the generic Ambit 60740euw cable modem that came with my Road Runner cable internet... and according to my dad, no instructions or CDs. When I tried to log in to http://192.168.0.1 to try to set it up... there were no WEP/WPA options available - all I can change is the password to log into that website. So my question is... is there a way around this that I'm missing... or should I just go buy myself a new router?
    ~*~ Bleeding Maize and Blue since 2001 ~*~

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Coney36
    Okay... so this is not a computer problem, per se, more like a router problem for the technically-challenged. For the longest time I've stalled on password-protecting my internet connection, just because I couldn't figure out how to do it. But my dad just got a letter from Time Warner Cable that someone spammed someone else using our connection and they got a complaint about it.

That being said, I'm now earnestly trying to figure out how to set a WEP or WPA... except, I got the generic Ambit 60740euw cable modem that came with my Road Runner cable internet... and according to my dad, no instructions or CDs. When I tried to log in to http://192.168.0.1 to try to set it up... there were no WEP/WPA options available - all I can change is the password to log into that website. So my question is... is there a way around this that I'm missing... or should I just go buy myself a new router?
    There doesn't seem to be much support for that cable modem/router. Looking quickly through the manual, there's no mention of being able to set the security anywhere. I'd suggest you call Road Runner and tell them you want a newer version of the cablemodem/router they're sending out to customers now.
    Moo

I think I'll just borrow a friend's monitor ... either that or try to see if I can get it on my server and pull the files. I wish my laptop had a video input

Quote Originally Posted by Sillycon
    There doesn't seem to be much support for that cable modem/router. Looking quickly through the manual, there's no mention of being able to set the security anywhere. I'd suggest you call Road Runner and tell them you want a newer version of the cablemodem/router they're sending out to customers now.
    And if you can't get a newer, more capable version of the router from them, definitely go out and buy a new one that supports WPA. WEP isn't enough.

Unprotected wireless networks are a very bad idea.

And if you can't get a newer, more capable version of the router from them, definitely go out and buy a new one that supports WPA. WEP isn't enough.

Unprotected wireless networks are a very bad idea.
    At last check, there are 3 unprotected wireless networks in my neighborhood. Sometimes I wonder what people are thinking (or not thinking)?
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

I have a password set on my router, but sometimes it asks for it and sometimes it doesn't. Really weird. I trust my neighbors though

Quote Originally Posted by BBombers85
    I have a password set on my router, but sometimes it asks for it and sometimes it doesn't. Really weird. I trust my neighbors though
    Do you trust all the people who might be driving by your place, too?

NYYF Legend

Do you trust all the people who might be driving by your place, too?
    That was you?

NYYF Legend

I know I could look up a good one, but does anyone recommend any specific software for CD ripping? I've been using Windows Media Player but it sucks.
    Crush it with your mind vice.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Empire
    I know I could look up a good one, but does anyone recommend any specific software for CD ripping? I've been using Windows Media Player but it sucks.

Nero all the way.

NYYF Legend

Sorry I should be more specific, I need software capable of Ripping Music from CDs to my hard drive. I don't know if Nero has that function? If it does, what version?
    Crush it with your mind vice.

NYYF Legend

Sorry I should be more specific, I need software capable of Ripping Music from CDs to my hard drive. I don't know if Nero has that function? If it does, what version?

http://www.nero.com/enu/nero8-featur...d39cd90c53f279

The Nero-8 Ultra edition will:

Convert your audio files to MP3, the world’s most popular audio format, and enjoy your favorite songs at home or on the go.

Quote Originally Posted by BBombers85
    That was you?
    Well, you left the door open, so I naturally assumed you wanted me to come in.

CDex.

Free, full-featured, and flawless.

so im starting med school in the fall and was thinking about getting a tablet pc.

I've never had a tablet before, but have heard about the numerous benefits of note taking on the tablet, and its versatility of being a adequte laptop as well.

What do you guys think? I have begun reading reviews online and so far was debating over a few models and brands.

Toshiba M700

HP tx2000

Lenovo x61

Fujitso T4220

a little about my wants and needs....

basically i just need a reliable computer for notetaking...powerpoint presentations, word, similar type of programs...

besides that just your generic web browsing, email, listening to music, and watching movies when I am traveling. No real gaming at all.

I really have no preferences when it comes to screen size, hard drive, or company.

If anyone has any experience with any of these and would like to share pros/cons it would be greatly appreciated. Any other comments or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

NYYF Legend

I say scrap them all and get a Mac.

Thread Information