+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    NYYF MVP

4 more years of Hawk Harrelson

Well the White Sox FINALLY signed somebody

Unfortunately it is the Hawk

The Chicago Sun-Times could use a copy editor
    Hawk Harrelson received a three-year extension from the Blackhawks to keep him in the White Sox television booth through at least the 2011 season.

Harrelson, 66, has worked White Sox games for 23 years, including 19 in a row.
    http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseb...020608.article

Hawk's favorite columnist explodes
    BY JAY MARIOTTI Sun-Times Columnist
    Ensuring that illiteracy remains in the Chicago sports media for four more years, the White Sox have handed a contract extension to alleged broadcaster Ken (Hawk) Harrelson. This means listeners in an otherwise sophisticated town will be punished with more hillbilly twang, which is almost as embarrassing as Harrelson's .239 career batting average and his short-term flop as the general manager who fired Tony La Russa.
    http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mario...ttiweb.article

I see fields of green, Veeck's pinwheel lights
    Cubs lose by day, Sox win at night
    And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Re: 4 more years of Hawk Harrelson

Seriously... People gripe about Kay all the time and there are plenty of annoying broadcasters in teh world of sports, but how on earth can anyone not named Ken HarrelsonsMom enjoy listening to long spurts of silence iterspersed with jabber and the ever enjoyable "he gone"???

Attorney at Bird Law Bronson'sCornrows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chisox
    Wow. Harrelson is a terrible announcer, but why did Mariotti make everything so personal? Was there some sort of altercation between these two?

His career batting average was .239, but his career OPS+ was 109. Not a bad (playing) career at all.

NYYF Legend

Mariotti is to writers what Hawk is to broadcasters.

Released Outright CallOfTheCrow's Avatar

& the balance of power shifts from KC's signing of Jose Guillen back to the White Sox

NYYF Legend

Damn, I was hoping "he gone."

Ensuring that illiteracy remains in the Chicago sports media for four more years, the White Sox have handed a contract extension to alleged broadcaster Ken (Hawk) Harrelson. This means listeners in an otherwise sophisticated town will be punished with more hillbilly twang, which is almost as embarrassing as Harrelson's .239 career batting average and his short-term flop as the general manager who fired Tony La Russa.

Ahhh, the only acceptable bigotry left...anti-southernism....unreal...would Marriotti ever write that "Harrelsoni talks like a dumb ginzo hood?" How about "McHarrelson, who often sounds like the drunken Irishman that he is....".as an Irish-American myself, I'd be pissed.....but feel free to call someone a redneck or a hillbilly, and imply that he's dumb by reason of your own supposed "sophistication"...I could go on, but why bother....Harrelson may not be a good announcer, but Mariotti is a bigot.
    "I'm sorry Smokey, you were over the line, that's a foul....mark it zero Dude, next frame"

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows
    Wow. Harrelson is a terrible announcer, but why did Mariotti make everything so personal? Was there some sort of altercation between these two?

His career batting average was .239, but his career OPS+ was 109. Not a bad (playing) career at all.
    There most certainly was.

NYYF Legend

I wonder what I would think of Hawk if he was the announcer for a team I like. He definitely is the most annoying announcer to listen to now though, when the team you root for is facing the White Sox. But how bad is he when he's your announcer?
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rice14
    Damn, I was hoping "he gone."
    Nope.

You can put it on the board, yes.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball: Boras's Holdouts
    NYYFans Fantasy Football: Norwood's Wide Rights

NYYF Legend

His HR call of White Sox is the worst I've ever heard.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson'sCornrows
    IIRC, they got into a shouting match, Mariotti threatened to hit him but backed down. Since then, the Moron does nothing but take cheap shots at Harrelson and the Hawk still feeds into it during some of the Sox broadcasts. I wish Harrelson would just shut up and take the high road instead of sinking to Mariotti's level.
    "I have discovered in 20 years of moving around the ballpark that the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." -Bill Veeck

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Meecham4ever

Ahhh, the only acceptable bigotry left...anti-southernism....unreal...would Marriotti ever write that "Harrelsoni talks like a dumb ginzo hood?" How about "McHarrelson, who often sounds like the drunken Irishman that he is....".as an Irish-American myself, I'd be pissed.....but feel free to call someone a redneck or a hillbilly, and imply that he's dumb by reason of your own supposed "sophistication"...I could go on, but why bother....Harrelson may not be a good announcer, but Mariotti is a bigot.
    Mariotti can dish it out but can't take it. Remember when he went into a fit when Guillen called him a derogratory sexual term? He still won't let the comment die. But it's OK in his world to call Frank Thomas the 'Big Skirt', Rex Grossman any name in the book, and the list goes on.

I've been Mariotti-free for a months and proud of it.
    "I have discovered in 20 years of moving around the ballpark that the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." -Bill Veeck

NYYF MVP

Marriotti thinks he is Mike Lupica.

BTW Yankees fans really can not complain about Hawk too much as you still have Dame Edna in the booth. How can you put up with her and Sterling for 162 games?

BTW Yankees fans really can not complain about Hawk too much as you still have Dame Edna in the booth. How can you put up with her and Sterling for 162 games?
    We only listen when it is absolutely necessary! And then spend the entire length of the game, yelling at the radio!

“Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

An American aquarium drinker

I think I can safely speak for most intelligent baseball fans when I say:

UGH.
    -- 1.25.06, Steve Buckley, Boston Herald on Theo's return to the Red Sox

"It took several different statements, on several different pages, to announce that everyone is on the same page."

NYYF Legend

I kind of like their chemistry.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    I wonder what I would think of Hawk if he was the announcer for a team I like. He definitely is the most annoying announcer to listen to now though, when the team you root for is facing the White Sox. But how bad is he when he's your announcer?
    I usually see people enjoying him if they catch a White Sox vs. their rival game on WGN, but they don't have to deal with it day in and day out. He hasn't been the same announcer since Ozzie signed on board. He's really more annoying as a complete mouthpiece for the organization.
    [B][I]Only two teams in baseball history have won wire to wire, had the most victories in their league and also swept the World Series: the 1927 Yankees and the 2005 White Sox.[/I][/B]

[URL="http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?statType=1&c_id=cws&readBoxes=true&venueID=&timeSubFrame=2006&baseballScope=AL&prevPage1=1&teamPosCode=all&timeFrame=1&sitSplit=&section1=null&subScope=teamCode&compare.y=9&sortByStat=OPS&compare.x=&box1=XXXX116539nya6&box2=XXXX120074bosD&box3=XXXX113679chaO&statSet1=1"][/URL]

BTW Yankees fans really can not complain about Hawk too much as you still have Dame Edna in the booth.
    Uhhhh..... yes, we can. I'd rather chew gravel then listen to the Hawk. Seriously, I'm sure he's a great guy, but it is abysmal.

NYYF Legend

I've said this before in other threads, but Suzyn doesn't bother me. I may be in the minority on that one, but to each his (or her ) own. I'll even turn on John and Suzyn on XM or MLB.com and listen to them when I'm getting out of town broadcasters on the EI package (I can sync the audio and video with my TiVo).

Hawk, on the other hand, I can't take AT ALL (and DJ doesn't help either). As a baseball nut living in Chicago, I'll turn on a Cubs or Sox game when there's nothing else to watch. But Hawk kills Sox games for me every time. I'd rather listen to nails on a blackboard. (Sorry if that mental image just made anyone shiver...).

Heidi
    Last edited by MunsonNY15; 02-08-08 at 08:49 PM.
    "I don't need any extra motivation. My motivation is to win." - Derek Jeter

Quote Originally Posted by JeffWeaverFan
    He was an announcer for the Yankees awhile ago - when Claudell Washington was on the team. He used to call bloopers into the outfield "ducksnorts" and that became my nickname for Washington.

Hey, I love Dame Edna and named my gorgeous blue Honda Accord after him/her........!

I don't know anything about Mariotti. I'll take people's word for it that he's got all these bad qualities.

Am I still allowed to agree with him that Harrelson is the very worst broadcaster there has ever been?

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MunsonNY15
    I

Hawk, on the other hand, I can't take AT ALL (and DJ doesn't help either). As a baseball nut living in Chicago, I'll turn on a Cubs or Sox game when there's nothing else to watch. But Hawk kills Sox games for me every time. I'd rather listen to nails on a blackboard. (Sorry if that mental image just made anyone shiver...).

Heidi
    I hate to think what you think of Ron Santo on Cubs games

NYYF Legend

Sterling is the man, Dame Edna is a Red Sox fan and the day she is gotten ridden of, I will be a happy man.
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

Thread Information