+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Official ARod's March Through The 500 Club Watch Thread!

Okay, here we go, currently Mr. Rodriguez is sitting on 518 and is the 17th All-Time slot. Here are those who ARod should supplant if he smacks another 50 this year

Reggie Jackson 563
    Mike Schmidt 548
    Mickey Mantle 536
    Jimmie Foxx 534
    Ted Williams 521
    Willie McCovey 521

Which would put him one behind Ratty Palmeriod and on the cusp of the top 10, which is currently

Barry Bonds 762
    Hank Aaron 755
    Babe Ruth 714
    Willie Mays 660
    Sammy Sosa 609
    Ken Griffey Jr. 593
    Frank Robinson 586
    Mark McGwire 583
    Harmon Killebrew 573
    Rafael Palmerio 569

Also in the active ranks, just below ARod are Frank Thomas at 513, and Jim Thome at 507. Manny Ramirez (490) and Gary Sheffield (480) should have no problem gaining entry in 2008, bringing the total of the club to 25.

Also active in the 400 club, but a long way off from 500 entry are Carlos Delgado at 431 and Mike Piazza at 427. Chipper Jones at 386 is the next likely 400 Homer guy.

Re: The Official ARod's March Through The 500 Club Watch Thread!

Also with an outside chance, in other words having a monster year, at 400 in 2008, but most likely 2009, are

Andruw Jones 368
    Vladimir Guerrero 365
    Jeff Kent 365
    Jason Giambi 364
    Jim Edmonds 362

NYYF Legend

it is amazing where he is and that he didn't limp in, he still has great years ahead for him. I am thrilled I get to watch it for the next whatever years.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Steve J. Rogers
    Also with an outside chance, in other words having a monster year, at 400 in 2008, but most likely 2009, are

Andruw Jones368
    Vladimir Guerrero365
    Jeff Kent365
    Jason Giambi364
    Jim Edmonds362
    Looking at past production, I wouldn't say Jones hitting 32 homers and Guerrero hitting 35 would be "monster years."
    "Never, never, never quit."-Winston Churchill.

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

I remember the day when 400 career home runs were alot.
    Life is good!

NYYF Legend

If we are celebrating Giambi's 400th this fall, we're going to be happy Yankee fans.
    Auction League: Bitches Brew - 2006, 2007, 2008 Champs
    NYYFans.com League: Bad Apples - 2008 Champs

A Rod is going to the take the AL East Hostage next year

NYYF Legend

Did he ever get the #500 ball back?

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeesfan924
    Looking at past production, I wouldn't say Jones hitting 32 homers and Guerrero hitting 35 would be "monster years."
    Heh, fair point, I was just typing quickly, not really noticing just how far away Andruw and Vlad were in terms of 400. Yeah, a normal production year out of those two and they are in.

If giambi slams 36 homers would he become a Type A free agent? would cashman offer him arbitration? Chances are he would accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by DaSh 1s
    A Rod is going to the take the AL East Hostage next year
    At 27.5 a year, he'd better ....
    "I'm sorry Smokey, you were over the line, that's a foul....mark it zero Dude, next frame"

Three Hall of Fame Yankees to leap frog...it's gonna be a great and exciting ride with Arod. I'm so happy he's a Yankee!

If giambi slams 36 homers would he become a Type A free agent? would cashman offer him arbitration? Chances are he would accept it.
    Wow - if he slammed 36 and was a type A, that would be a dicey decision in either direction. However, from another thread it seemed that you could only offer 80% of prior year's salary, and Giambi would be a fool to reject that - particularly knowing that other teams looking at him would be giving up their first rounder in order to sign him, reducing his value. So I'd say Cashman would be grateful for a nice '08 output, not offer arbitration and wish him luck on the market.

NYYF Cy Young

He would most certainly take it because no club would be offering him a multi-year deal at his asking price and any sum he got in arbitration would destroy any one year offer he would receive from another team since arbitration only allows you to cut a players salary so much.

I hope after Manny and Sheff the 500 club closes for a while. Lets see the next group nearing 500 and 400:

Carlos Delgado 431
    Mike Piazza 427
    Chipper Jones 386
    Andruw Jones 368
    Vladimir Guerrero 365
    Jeff Kent 365
    Jason Giambi 364
    Jim Edmonds 362

I think you can eliminate from that group Piazza, Kent, Giambi and Edmonds. I don't see those guys even limping into 500. So that would leave:

Carlos Delgado 431
    Chipper Jones 386
    Andruw Jones 368
    Vladimir Guerrero 365

Delgado is 35 and I think theres 4 years of 20 HR's left him in at least so he'll get it. Chipper is the same age with a higher mountain to climb. He had 29 in 134 games last year, I don't even think he'll play 134 games this year and hes one year older. I think he'll be close but won't get it. Andruw is only 30 years old so I think he might be looking at 600 at this rate. Vlad is 31 and he'll reach 500 comfortably.

Below Jim Edmonds theres a bunch of old guys like Luis Gonzalez (39), Moises Alou (40), Shawn Green (34), Reggie Sanders (39), Steve Finley (42), Todd Helton (33). All of them have under 350 HR's currently so I think none of them have a chance.
    Twenty Seven and Counting.

NYYF Legend

Aside from how important he is to the team's success, Arod's homerun quest adds a nice perk to watching Yankee games for the next 5 or 6 years.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]We do not see things as they are. We see them as we are.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.
    [/FONT]

I'd have no problem with him accepting it, if he hits 36 Homers next season.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa." [SIZE=1] [/SIZE]

A healthy Giambi (yea) shouldn't have trouble cracking at least 30.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic
    A healthy Giambi (yea) shouldn't have trouble cracking at least 30.
    I will be very interested to see what kind of shape Giambi is in this Spring.
    If you listen to the fans you’ll be sitting with them soon enough.- Brian Cashman

Quote Originally Posted by R.V.47
    I will be very interested to see what kind of shape Giambi is in this Spring.
    I know he could get hurt, but damned, he better have his butt in damned fine shape..
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

Quote Originally Posted by aeromac76
    I know he could get hurt, but damned, he better have his butt in damned fine shape..
    I totally agree, I know Giambis body probably went through a ton of changes adjusting to getting off steroids which was what led to that gland problem he had in 04 but still the past few years hes looked like hes been going straight to McDonalds after the game. Being in better shape should help reduce his injury proneness.
    If you listen to the fans you’ll be sitting with them soon enough.- Brian Cashman

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Meecham4ever
    At 27.5 a year, he'd better ....
    For 27.5, A-Rod should read to 1st graders, help build the new stadium, fix global warming, run for president, and cure the common cold.
    "Never, never, never quit."-Winston Churchill.

Giambi is an x-factor for us. He was a complete non-factor last year, but people seem to forget he had monster years in 05 and 06. If he can return to those levels he should make up for the inevitable regressing to the mean from A-Rod and Posada.
    "We understand that John Henry must be embarrassed, frustrated and disappointed by his failure in this transaction. Unlike the Yankees, he chose not to go the extra distance for his fans in Boston."

Unless he gets hurt, I see A-Rod easily passing Bonds as the all-time home run leader.

Let's say he plays 10 more years and averages 40 homers over the next 4 years. That would mean he would only need 85 over the next 6 total seasons to pass Bonds

Why does every ARod thread turn into a Giambi discussion?
    Pardon, for us.

Thread Information