+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar
    Formerly Brooklyn & Joisey; now just right behind you ... BOO!!!

Question about Vonage and other broadband phone companies

I've got Earthlink (DSL + VoIP). It's good, but I don't make many phone calls. Surely not enough to justify the $40/month fee. What are the better options? I'm seeing that Vonage only charges $25/month for their service.

Anyone have any recommendations? Do they all sound the same?

Thanks.
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

NYYF HOF

Re: Question about Vonage and other broadband phone companies

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Yankee
    I've got Earthlink. It's good, but I don't make many phone calls. Surely not enough to justify the $40/month fee. What are the better options? I'm seeing that Vonage only charges $25/month for their service.

Anyone have any recommendations? Do they all sound the same?

Thanks.

I have Vonage and it's great. $25/month includes long distance calls, voicemail (which gets sent to your email as a .wav file), caller ID, etc.

I haven't tried any other VOIPs, but we're very, very happy with Vonage.

Oh, and I felt the same way you did (not wanting to shell out $40/month for just local calls). Our cell phones don't work at home, so this is great for us to still be able to make calls and not be charged an arm and a leg for them).

The only downside (imo) is they have to get your credit card to automatically charge the monthly fee, but the charges never change.

My heroes, my dreams, and my future lay in Yankee Stadium. And they can’t take that away from me. —Derek Jeter

Thanks, dude (finally got that part right).

I may just switch. The $15/month is crazy wasting, and I don't have a contract with Earthlink for either DSL (contract expired) or VoIP (never a contract).

I'd just likely have to change my digital phone number.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

NYYF HOF

Thanks, dude (finally got that part right).

I may just switch. The $15/month is crazy wasting, and I don't have a contract with Earthlink for either DSL (contract expired) or VoIP (never a contract).

Check online or over the phone, cuz we got our modem thingy for free ($80 usually) and the first month was free, but they charge a activation fee (which is like $30).

My heroes, my dreams, and my future lay in Yankee Stadium. And they can’t take that away from me. —Derek Jeter

NYYF HOF

Not necessarily.. we were able to port the number we had from AT&T (land line) to the Vonage number.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ44
    Not necessarily.. we were able to port the number we had from AT&T (land line) to the Vonage number.
    I hadn't even realized that AT&T still had landlines. Weren't they the original "Ma Bell"?

Anyway, I have two lines: one is my Verizon line, which I only keep because it is the analog line I keep for my DSL service. No analog line, no DSL service.

The other is my VoIP line. If I could keep that, then I'd be very pleased.

NYYF HOF

I hadn't even realized that AT&T still had landlines. Weren't they the original "Ma Bell"?

Anyway, I have two lines: one is my Verizon line, which I only keep because it is the analog line I keep for my DSL service. No analog line, no DSL service.

The other is my VoIP line. If I could keep that, then I'd be very pleased.
    Definitely check into it. I signed up online and there's a category for Portability.

Thread Information