+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Re: Good Yankees books forum

While we are on the subject, anybody have a good book on the Boss era?
    Something more recent, not from the 80s?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hud View Post
    I've heard this book is good, but it is quite long.
    Let me ask, how long did it take to read and how hard was it?

I'm in my late 20s so would people in my generation enjoy it?
    I did read "The Last Boy" and found that quite good, for comparison.
    "Luckiest Man" is in a league of its own. Don't hesitate.
    FWIW, I'm in my 50s, remember Mickey Mantle well, and couldn't even make it through "The Last Boy". I found it very disappointing.

Again it looks good but my questions:
    I read "Yankee Century" by Richard Johnson. Good book, but more like a reference encyclopedia. How was this book? Are there many pictures, how easy and smooth a read, how long, did it take to read?
    Scroll up a bit and look at the comments Heidi (MunsonNY15) and I made about "Pinstripe Empire". It's a very good read, not encyclopedic at all.

While we are on the subject, anybody have a good book on the Boss era?
    Something more recent, not from the 80s?
    Have you read Bill Madden's "Steinbrenner: The Last Lion of Baseball"? Excellent book. It's a recent book, 2011 release I believe.

Thanks.

NYYF Cy Young

Unless I am mistaken there are no good books on the 2009 World Championship season which is a shame :/ Anyone hear anything on this?

What new Yankees books is everyone reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks3 View Post
    Unless I am mistaken there are no good books on the 2009 World Championship season which is a shame :/ Anyone hear anything on this?

What new Yankees books is everyone reading?
    I'm not sure if this is a good book, but it's a book -
    http://www.amazon.com/Return-Glory-M...dp/1463596049/

The author also wrote one about the 2010 team.

Just began Empire- I WILL say that the first few chapters are kind of like a Clancy novel. Lots of names that MOST people would never remember or associate with the Yankees, so it takes effort to keep going, but once it began to catch up with more familiar names- things picked up quite a bit. Hoping that it keeps up that pace.
    "Bacon, The Candy of Meats"

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks3 View Post
    Dude it was just 3 years ago, I'm sure with time there will be something

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MunsonNY15 View Post
    Ray Negron, long time Yankees employee, has a new book out called Yankee Miracles: Life with the Boss and the Bronx Bombers.

Heidi
    Finished this one last night. Lots a great stories from the 1970s era Yankees but some good ones from current Yankees too. Good, inspiring read.

Heidi
    "I don't need any extra motivation. My motivation is to win." - Derek Jeter

I just finished the "summer of 49". Excellent!! It gives you a real inside look at the team and old NY. Fast read, worth it.

I just started 1961 by Phil Pepe. I am up to July 1961. OD attendence in 1961 was 14,000+ and they booed the heck outta Mickey. Amazing!!

I'm almost finished with "Lefty An American Odyssey". It's a great book with insight on his family history, the early days of the Pacific Coast League, Babe Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, etc. Awesome stuff. Lefty Gomez was not only a great pitcher but a real character.

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    I just finished the "summer of 49". Excellent!! It gives you a real inside look at the team and old NY. Fast read, worth it.

Halberstram's book on the '64 season is very good too. He analyzes how that season and World Series ushered out the Yankee Dynasty and ushered in a new era of African American players impacting the game.

I just finished reading Empire and I loved it. Great book that discusses the team from the very beginning. Lots of stuff about the Highlanders, the teams before Ruth came along and everything in between. Appell did a great job with it.

Looking forward to reading 1961, Steinbrenner: The Last Lion Of Baseball, Bullpen Diaries, and the Jeter book that came out a few years back, was that any good?. Saw the Arod book on clearance on Barnes N Noble, but passed on it.

Mike
    [img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/maniabeatle01/teixiera.png[/img]

NYYF Legend

Well, I know what I'll be reading next spring:
    http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/51707157
    NEW YORK (AP) - Mariano Rivera is writing an autobiography. No word on whether he'll open with the final chapter.

Little, Brown and Co. said Monday it will publish "The Closer" next spring in English, Spanish and audio editions. A children's edition will follow that autumn.

The career saves leader, who turns 44 in November, says he is retiring this fall following his 19th season with the New York Yankees.

Says the 12-time All-Star: "Now is the time for me to finally tell my full story, of where I came from and what my game, my family, and my faith have meant to me every day."

The Last Boy: Mickey Mantle and the End of America's Childhood currently free for the Nook at Barnes and Noble.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/last...oHA-_-10:1&r=1
    27 World Championships
    40 AL Pennants
    Liberated France Twice

Im about 2/3 done with this. Its very long & very detailed, but it is very interesting so far. It really explains how we got to where we are today.

I got this one for fathers day. Will start it next once I finish "Juicing the Game".

Just bought this:

NYYF Legend

^^^ I cant wait to read this book.
    Just bought this:
    Well, it's about time. It only took you 14 months!
    Enjoy it! It's a good, easy read. Let us know what you think of it when you're done.

NYYF Legend

I finished the Core Four by Phil Pepe and found it to be a good read. I am now reading The Pinstripe Empire, which so far is extremely interesting. Next in line is "The House that Ruth Built" a story of the 1923 year which looks good also. Not a Yankee book but a great baseball book, I also finished last night, "the Victory Season" a great book about the 1946 season, the year that all the ballplayers came back from the war.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    I finished the Core Four by Phil Pepe and found it to be a good read. I am now reading The Pinstripe Empire, which so far is extremely interesting. Next in line is "The House that Ruth Built" a story of the 1923 year which looks good also. Not a Yankee book but a great baseball book, I also finished last night, "the Victory Season" a great book about the 1946 season, the year that all the ballplayers came back from the war.

Andy
    "The House that Ruth Built" is very interesting. Excellent insight on that era. It delves into the history of the ownership relationship of Ruppert & Huston. Great stuff in there about John McGraw and the Giants which precipitated the building of the Stadium and the rivalry that existed between the two teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    Well, it's about time. It only took you 14 months!
    Enjoy it! It's a good, easy read. Let us know what you think of it when you're done.
    I know, I kept on getting other books from people.

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    Well, I know what I'll be reading next spring:
    http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/51707157
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Closer-Mar...mariano+rivera

Looks like this will be released in early May. Should be a good read.
    Spends my money, drinks my booze, stays out every night
    And I got to thinking, Hey, just a minute, something ain't right

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    I finished the Core Four by Phil Pepe and found it to be a good read.
    Andy

Just finished this one last night and enjoyed it as well. It was nice to go back and be reminded what promises these guys held for the organization, now that we know how it all worked out.

Heidi
    "I don't need any extra motivation. My motivation is to win." - Derek Jeter

NYYF Cy Young

"The Closer" by Mariano Rivera comes out in a few weeks

The greatest relief pitcher of all time shares his extraordinary story of survival, love, and baseball.

Mariano Rivera, the man who intimidated thousands of batters merely by opening a bullpen door, began his incredible journey as the son of a poor Panamanian fisherman. When first scouted by the Yankees, he didn't even own his own glove. He thought he might make a good mechanic. When discovered, he had never flown in an airplane, had never heard of Babe Ruth, spoke no English, and couldn't imagine Tampa, the city where he was headed to begin a career that would become one of baseball's most iconic. What he did know: that he loved his family and his then girlfriend, Clara, that he could trust in the Lord to guide him, and that he could throw a baseball exactly where he wanted to, every time.

With astonishing candor, Rivera tells the story of the championships, the bosses (including The Boss), the rivalries, and the struggles of being a Latino baseball player in the United States and of maintaining Christian values in professional athletics. The thirteen-time All-Star discusses his drive to win; the secrets behind his legendary composure; the story of how he discovered his cut fastball; the untold, pitch-by-pitch account of the ninth inning of Game 7 in the 2001 World Series; and why the lowest moment of his career became one of his greatest blessings.

In The Closer, Rivera takes readers into the Yankee clubhouse, where his teammates are his brothers. But he also takes us on that jog from the bullpen to the mound, where the game -- or the season -- rests squarely on his shoulders. We come to understand the laserlike focus that is his hallmark, and how his faith and his family kept his feet firmly on the pitching rubber. Many of the tools he used so consistently and gracefully came from what was inside him for a very long time -- his deep passion for life; his enduring commitment to Clara, whom he met in kindergarten; and his innate sense for getting out of a jam.

When Rivera retired, the whole world watched -- and cheered. In The Closer, we come to an even greater appreciation of a legend built from the ground up.

http://www.amazon.com/Closer-Mariano...dp/B00EXTQVKM/

Thread Information