+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Re: Good Yankees books forum

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here (actually, i'm not sure if even I've mentioned it... excuse me, sometimes my age gets in my way... ) BUT... any Yankee fan worth his salt should read "Roger Maris Baseballs Reluctant Hero" .
    Roger Maris = single season "natural" home-run record-holder.

NYYF Cy Young

Looking forward to reading:

Pinstripe Empire: The New York Yankees from Before the Babe to After the Boss
    http://www.amazon.com/Pinstripe-Empi.../dp/1608194922

Since their breakthrough championship season in 1923, when Yankee stadium opened, the New York Yankees have been baseball’s most successful, decorated, and colorful franchise. Home to Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Berra, Mantle, Jackson, and Mattingly; and later Torre, Jeter, Rivera, and Rodriguez, the team has been a fixture in our national consciousness.

Yet it’s been nearly seventy years since Frank Graham wrote the last narrative history of the team. Marty Appel, the Yankees’ PR director during the 1970s, now illuminates the team in all its century-plus of glory: clever, maneuvering owners; rowdy, talented players; and, of course, twenty-seven championships. Appel heard war stories from old-timers like Mantle, Berra, and Casey Stengel, and has remained close to the organization ever since. A collector, writer, and raconteur, he gives life to the team’s history, from the muddy, uneven field at Hilltop Park in the 1900s to the evolution of today’s team as an international brand. Loaded with over a century’s worth of great stories, folklore, and photos, this is a treasure trove for lovers of sports, the Yankees, New York history, and America’s game.

-
    Anyone ever read: A Farewell to Heroes by Frank Graham (it's referenced above)?

http://www.amazon.com/Farewell-Heroe...dp/0809324911/

NYYF MVP

Damn Yankees
    Twenty-Four Major League Writers on the World's Most Loved (and Hated) Team

http://www.harpercollins.com/books/D...B_Damn+Yankees

http://www.amazon.com/Damn-Yankees-T...4160224&sr=1-1

Love them or hate them, the New York Yankees have been an American institution for nearly a century. With their rich history and colorful cast of characters, the Yankees never fail to inspire or provoke. In this exciting compendium, some of today's most acclaimed writers—including Pete Dexter, Colum McCann, Roy Blount Jr., Dan Barry, Jane Leavy, Charles P. Pierce, J. R. Moehringer, Daniel Okrent, Frank DeFord, Bill James, and many more—step up to the plate to take their cuts. The result is a collection of original essays as idiosyncratic and expansive as the team that has inspired them: ruminations on Babe Ruth's gravestone, Derek Jeter's swing, and the upper-deck vantage of the Oldest Living Yankee; dual allegiances; mortal rivalries; and every other subject that spans from the hilarious (the Yankee wife-swap of the '70s) to the sublime (the grace of Catfish Hunter).

Superbly written, deeply insightful, and full of both passion and humor, Damn Yankees is a completely fresh look at baseball's most enduring franchise by a Murderers' Row of writers as stacked as that of the 1927 Yanks.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by PYanks View Post
    Just finished Driving Mr. Yogi. This is a wonderfully heartfelt book about the Yankees as family, and of course, about the Yogi Berra-Ron Guidry relationship. It is about respect and about lasting relationships. A poignant read with some good game stories in it, I had a hard time putting this one down.

(I also agree with the comments about Clubhouse Confidential. I could not get past the first few pages.)
    Just finished this one last night. Very good. I've always liked Guidry, but after reading this book I like him even more. The respect, dedication, and selflessness he shows Yogi is inspiring. Only one quibble and that is when the author refers to Mo's devastating split finger fastball. .

But all in all it was a very good, quick read. Lots of good stories throughout and some stuff about current players too.

Heidi
    "I don't need any extra motivation. My motivation is to win." - Derek Jeter

Devoted Member
    467 miles from Yankee Stadium (Cleveland)

If you haven't read Damn Yankees edited by Rob Fleder, find it! It is a gem of a collection of short essays about the Yankees by 24 very good writers (most are from Sports Illustrated, I think). Whether they are Yankees fans or Yankees haters, or just are commenting on the Yankees, most all of these essays are quite engaging and thoughtful. (I especially liked the comparison between Derek Jeter and A-Rod in the first chapter!)
    "You don't play the games on paper....you have to play the games."
    --Derek Jeter

How about 'steinbrenner's yankees' written by ed linn. published early 80's...underrated in how deep he got and exposes some stuff that was otherwise under-reported.

I have to say, I think every thing possible from the Yankees in the George era has been beaten to death. It was all there and reported on. I do not think there is anything left to cover in a book

Just finished this yesterday. Might be the best book I ever read.

NYYF Cy Young

Pinstripe Empire: The New York Yankees from Before the Babe to After the Boss comes out today, looks great, 600 pages of the narrative history of the Yankees. If anyone gets a chance to read it, please do comment

http://www.amazon.com/Pinstripe-Empi...dp/1608194922/

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by PYanks View Post
    Just finished Driving Mr. Yogi. This is a wonderfully heartfelt book about the Yankees as family, and of course, about the Yogi Berra-Ron Guidry relationship. It is about respect and about lasting relationships. A poignant read with some good game stories in it, I had a hard time putting this one down.
    I am about 1/3 of the way through this book. Wonderful so far.

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks3 View Post
    Looking forward to reading:

Pinstripe Empire: The New York Yankees from Before the Babe to After the Boss
    http://www.amazon.com/Pinstripe-Empi.../dp/1608194922

Since their breakthrough championship season in 1923, when Yankee stadium opened, the New York Yankees have been baseball’s most successful, decorated, and colorful franchise. Home to Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Berra, Mantle, Jackson, and Mattingly; and later Torre, Jeter, Rivera, and Rodriguez, the team has been a fixture in our national consciousness.

Yet it’s been nearly seventy years since Frank Graham wrote the last narrative history of the team. Marty Appel, the Yankees’ PR director during the 1970s, now illuminates the team in all its century-plus of glory: clever, maneuvering owners; rowdy, talented players; and, of course, twenty-seven championships. Appel heard war stories from old-timers like Mantle, Berra, and Casey Stengel, and has remained close to the organization ever since. A collector, writer, and raconteur, he gives life to the team’s history, from the muddy, uneven field at Hilltop Park in the 1900s to the evolution of today’s team as an international brand. Loaded with over a century’s worth of great stories, folklore, and photos, this is a treasure trove for lovers of sports, the Yankees, New York history, and America’s game.

-
    Anyone ever read: A Farewell to Heroes by Frank Graham (it's referenced above)?

http://www.amazon.com/Farewell-Heroe...dp/0809324911/
    You can get an autographed copy tonight at Foleys in Midtown at 6 PM and still make the game [weather permitting]:

http://www.foleysny.com/index.php?op...e88c9339fbf876

anyone read anything about the "Driving Mr. Yogi" book? its the book about a drive with yogi and guidry and the author. ive seen them promoting it on the ticker at the stadium and sounds like an interesting read. curious if anyone on the board has heard anything about it

37 miles from the Home Office of Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by dadrumma View Post
    anyone read anything about the "Driving Mr. Yogi" book? its the book about a drive with yogi and guidry and the author. ive seen them promoting it on the ticker at the stadium and sounds like an interesting read. curious if anyone on the board has heard anything about it
    Scroll up to post #370.

Or #374.

Or #379.

SMH...

Fantasy Baseball: Larrupin' Lou's

Hello to all my fellow Yankee fans. I just wanted to invite you to check out my recently-released book entitled "The 50 Greatest Players in New York Yankees History." If you are a true fan of the team, I think you will enjoy reading it very much. My book is currently available on Amazon and Barnes&Noble.com in both hardcover and ebook format. Thank you for your time, and have a nice day. Best Wishes, Bob Cohen

NYYF Legend

I'm just finishing up Driving Mr. Yogi and echoing the comments already made about how good this book is. While the friendship between Yogi and Ron Guidry is the centerpiece of the book, it really is about what Yogi means to the entire Yankees' organization. The small section about spring training 2000 when Yogi worked with Jorge Posada is very good. Another enjoyable part centers on Yogi's relationship with Nick Swisher.

I borrowed this one from the library but I think I'm going to purchase a copy. I'd like to have it in my bookcase. It's that good.

NYYF Legend

I'm about 3/4 of the way through an interesting book called Damn Yankees edited by Rob Fleder, a former executive editor at Sports Illustrated. It's a collection of 24 essays by noted writers about the Yankees, covering all different topics. Some of the essays are about specific Yankees; Mickey Mantle, Catfish Hunter, Jim Abbott, Chuck Knoblauch, Robinson Cano, Derek Jeter. The essay that centers on Babe Ruth was particularly interesting in that it speculates on what it would have been like to have to cover the Babe in the present time with papparazzi, TMZ, Twitter and the Internet.

Some of the essays are about fathers and sons, grandfathers and grandsons. A number of them are written by those who hate the Yankees--the one written by a Mets' fan is quite enjoyable.

Anyway, it's a quick read because each essay is no more than twenty pages long and most are considerably shorter than that. Each can be read independently so you can stop and start again at any point. A different type of "Yankees" book, but a good one.

Edited to add: By scrolling through some earlier posts in this thread, I see that a couple of others have also read this book, so just add my voice to the chorus of praise. It's definitely a good read.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    I'm about 3/4 of the way through an interesting book called Damn Yankees edited by Rob Fleder, a former executive editor at Sports Illustrated. It's a collection of 24 essays by noted writers about the Yankees, covering all different topics. Some of the essays are about specific Yankees; Mickey Mantle, Catfish Hunter, Jim Abbott, Chuck Knoblauch, Robinson Cano, Derek Jeter. The essay that centers on Babe Ruth was particularly interesting in that it speculates on what it would have been like to have to cover the Babe in the present time with papparazzi, TMZ, Twitter and the Internet.

Some of the essays are about fathers and sons, grandfathers and grandsons. A number of them are written by those who hate the Yankees--the one written by a Mets' fan is quite enjoyable.

Anyway, it's a quick read because each essay is no more than twenty pages long and most are considerably shorter than that. Each can be read independently so you can stop and start again at any point. A different type of "Yankees" book, but a good one.

Edited to add: By scrolling through some earlier posts in this thread, I see that a couple of others have also read this book, so just add my voice to the chorus of praise. It's definitely a good read.
    ^^^ I cant wait to read this book.

I'm going to add in my plug for a book I just finished today, Rumor In Town, by Matt Dahlgren, the grandson of the guy to my left. It's basically a love letter to his grandfather, Babe Dahlgren, but it's also a heartbreaking story about how Babe basically got screwed by the game he loved so much, by people who were looking out for their own interests, and a system he was powerless to fight.

Yes, it's one-sided, because consider the source, but it's a side of the story that's never been told before, and needs to be told -- apparently Babe was in the process of writing a book about it when he died, and Matt draws heavily on his nearly completed manuscript in reconstructing the events of that time and putting the pieces together of his story -- so you really do feel like he's speaking through the pages of this account himself.

One thing I didn't realize was that Babe was actually a decent ballplayer -- not a marginal major leaguer as people often seem to assume. And if the breaks had fallen his way and people hadn't been so trusting of baseless rumors, he would've been remembered as more than a one-off trivia question reserved for the Ryan Minors of the world.

The book also lets you in on a whole other side of Joe McCarthy and Branch Rickey that people haven't seen before -- and will probably leave you a little angry and upset. But it's a quick and easy read, and worth picking up.
    "You aint my b!tch, n!gga! Buy your own damn fries!" -- Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Pinstripe Empire: The New York Yankees from Before the Babe to After the Boss comes out today, looks great, 600 pages of the narrative history of the Yankees. If anyone gets a chance to read it, please do comment

I'm about half way done with the book (just starting the chapter on 1951, Mantle's debut) and the book is outstanding. Last night as I was reading it I was actually thinking, "Darn, this book is half-way over already." That's how much I'm enjoying it.

Marty Appel does a great job of covering the facts, sprinkling in tidbits of trivia, as well as adding his own memories too. It is so jam packed with facts that I feel like I want to be underlining and placing sticky notes on every page so I can go back a review before the exam. . Anyone who wants to know more about the Yankees need look no further than this book. It is the definitive primer on Yankees history.

Heidi

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by MunsonNY15 View Post
    I'm about half way done with the book (just starting the chapter on 1951, Mantle's debut) and the book is outstanding. Last night as I was reading it I was actually thinking, "Darn, this book is half-way over already." That's how much I'm enjoying it.

Marty Appel does a great job of covering the facts, sprinkling in tidbits of trivia, as well as adding his own memories too. It is so jam packed with facts that I feel like I want to be underlining and placing sticky notes on every page so I can go back a review before the exam. . Anyone who wants to know more about the Yankees need look no further than this book. It is the definitive primer on Yankees history.

Heidi
    I'm reading Pinstripe Empire right now too, although you're much further ahead than I am. I'm only up to the team's first season under Joe McCarthy. I feel the same way as you do about wanting to put stickies on many pages for review at a later point. I've learned so many new and interesting facts by reading this book. Several times I've thought to myself, "Wow, I didn't know that!" As you mentioned, I love the way that Marty Appel adds his own memories as the history moves along. You would think that it wouldn't work chronologically, but it does. He is truly an excellent writer; not that we weren't aware of that already.

It's a hefty tome for sure, but well worth the time. A big thumbs up for this one.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Eldee5 View Post
    I'm reading Pinstripe Empire right now too, although you're much further ahead than I am. I'm only up to the team's first season under Joe McCarthy. I feel the same way as you do about wanting to put stickies on many pages for review at a later point. I've learned so many new and interesting facts by reading this book. Several times I've thought to myself, "Wow, I didn't know that!" As you mentioned, I love the way that Marty Appel adds his own memories as the history moves along. You would think that it wouldn't work chronologically, but it does. He is truly an excellent writer; not that we weren't aware of that already.

It's a hefty tome for sure, but well worth the time. A big thumbs up for this one.
    Good point, Eldee. I too was surprised that including his more contemporary memories does not interrupt the flow, but it really doesn't. Even when the memories, or asides, are longer than a sentence or two, it works. For example, when he covers Billy Martin's debut, he touches on Billy's personality and the problems it caused, especially in his years as manager. But somehow these asides don't interfere with the flow of the chapter, it just goes right back to 1951. Outstanding.

Heidi

NYYF Legend

Ray Negron, long time Yankees employee, has a new book out called Yankee Miracles: Life with the Boss and the Bronx Bombers.

Here the description from Amazon:

If it was not all so true, you’d think it was a fairy tale. A seventeen-year-old from Queens spray paints graffiti on Yankee Stadium and gets nabbed by George Steinbrenner himself. Contrary to his gruff public image, the Boss—driven by a compassionate inner voice—reclaims the teen at a time when the Bronx is literally burning. Thus begins the unlikeliest of baseball stories, one in which Ray Negron is transformed from street kid to batboy and beyond. Befriending many of major league baseball’s greatest stars—Billy Martin, Reggie Jackson, Munson, Mantle, Catfish, A-Rod, Jeter, even Mrs. Lou Gehrig—Negron ultimately emerges as a dynamic community leader, dedicating his own life to helping the sick and rescuing generations of city kids from unfulfilled lives. Yankee Miracles is a book about the power of baseball to transform lives, about all those miracles on 161st Street we never knew were there.
    Heidi

Sunny days ahead YankeePride1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MunsonNY15 View Post
    Ray Negron, long time Yankees employee, has a new book out called Yankee Miracles: Life with the Boss and the Bronx Bombers.

Here the description from Amazon:

Heidi
    I am reading this now. Very good book.
    Life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by BRNXBMRS View Post
    Just finished this yesterday. Might be the best book I ever read.

I've heard this book is good, but it is quite long.
    Let me ask, how long did it take to read and how hard was it?

I'm in my late 20s so would people in my generation enjoy it?
    I did read "The Last Boy" and found that quite good, for comparison.

Again it looks good but my questions:
    I read "Yankee Century" by Richard Johnson. Good book, but more like a reference encyclopedia. How was this book? Are there many pictures, how easy and smooth a read, how long, did it take to read?

Thread Information