+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast
    Devoted Member
    467 miles from Yankee Stadium (Cleveland)

Good Yankees books forum

This thread is designed to be a forum to discuss or recommend good Yankees books that you have read. There are, of course, many such books, both historical and contemporary. Perhaps you're looking for a good Yankees book to read and can get an idea from a post here. Perhaps you've read one recently you'd like to discuss with others. Here's the place for that!

I recently read Jonathan Eig's The Luckiest Man, a biography of Lou Gehrig. The book was outstanding in terms of its research and style. I also read Pride and Pinstripes, Mel Stottlemyre's autobiography--also worth a read.
    "You don't play the games on paper....you have to play the games."
    --Derek Jeter

NYYF Legend

Re: Good Yankees books forum

What a great off-season thread!

I agree, PYanks. Jonathan Eig's Luckiest Man was a great biography, not just a great baseball biography. It made me even more of a Gehrig fan than I already was.

Here are a few Yankees books that I've read and recommend:

Bat Boy: My True Life Adventures Coming of Age with the New York Yankees by Matthew McGough. Very funny account of McGough's turn as a Yankees' bat boy during the early 90s. The team didn't exactly include today's all-star lineup, but there are some good stories about Donnie and others.

October Men : Reggie Jackson, George Steinbrenner, Billy Martin, and the Yankees' Miraculous Finish in 1978 by Roger Kahn. Kahn's writing style is in a class by itself. Some may find it disjointed at times, especially when he includes paragraphs unrelated to the topic at hand, but somehow he always manages to get back to the main point. And no no one turns a phrase like Kahn. His book, Boys of Summer, is considered by many to be the best baseball book ever written.

Bronx Zoo by Sparky Lyle and Peter Golenbock. Lyle's hilarious behind the scenes account of the tumultuous 1978 season. These are the Yankees of my youth, and I'll always have a soft spot for this team, but even if I didn't, I'd find this book one of the funniest I've read.

Birth of a Dynasty: Behind the Pinstripes with the 1996 Yankees by Joel Sherman. I really enjoy behind the scenes stuff, and this book has it.

One Day at Fenway: A Day in the Life of Baseball in America by Steve Kettmann. Another behind the scenes book, but this one is all about one game played in the middle of a pennant race: Yankees vs. Red Sox on August 30, 2003. Kettmann gives us a view of this one game from the perspective of everyone from fans in the stands to Red Sox GM, Theo Epstein. By the way, the Yankees won the game 10-7.

The Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty : The Game, the Team, and the Cost of Greatness by Buster Olney. Some may argue with Olney's premise (that the Yankees are dead), but it gives the reader more behind the scenes stuff. This time it's a view of the Yankee Dynasty principals (Torre, Jeter, Big Stein, etc.) intertwined within an inning by inning look at game 7 of the 2001 world series. Interesting idea, and it works.

The Pride and the Pressure: A Season Inside the New York Yankee Fishbowl by Michael Morrissey. No big revelations here, but it's more behind the scenes stuff, this time with a more current team, the 2006 Yanks.

Pride of October: What it Was to Be Young and a Yankee by Bill Madden. Each chapter is a visit with former Yankees from Marius Russo, who played with Lou Gehrig, to more contemporaries like Mattingly and O'Neill. I found it interesting since it gave me some background on Yankees I didn't know much about.

Chasing the Dream by Joe Torre. Basically an autobiography, but it gives the reader more behind the scenes stuff, this time the 1996 season from Torre's perspective.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Bronx Is Burning: 1977, Baseball, Politics, and the Battle for the Soul of a City by Jonathan Mahler. This is the book on which the ESPN miniseries was based. Not specifically about the Yankees, but the 1977 team plays a large part. Even if you saw the ESPN series, I recommend the book. Jumping from storyline to storyline works much better on the printed page than it did on the TV screen.

Few And Chosen: Defining Yankee Greatness Across The Eras by Phil Pepe and Whitey Ford. Like lists? Then this is the book for you. Whitey gives us his top players at each position. He also gives us some anecdotes about his former teammates. Let the discussions begin!

Thurman Munson: An Autobiography by Thurman Munson and Marty Appel. I took this book out of my local library so many times as a kid, the librarian set it aside for me when it was finally included in a library book sale. She said, "You practically own it already." LOL. Best book out there about Munson. And yes, I still have the library copy.

I'd love to get some suggestions from other fans. I'm always looking for a good book.

Heidi
    "I don't need any extra motivation. My motivation is to win." - Derek Jeter

Luckiest Man. Best. Yankee. Book. Ever.

Ten Rings is pretty good, also.

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by MunsonNY15
    What a great off-season thread!

I agree, PYanks. Jonathan Eig's Luckiest Man was a great biography, not just a great baseball biography. It made me even more of a Gehrig fan than I already was.

Here are a few Yankees books that I've read and recommend:

Bat Boy: My True Life Adventures Coming of Age with the New York Yankees by Matthew McGough. Very funny account of McGough's turn as a Yankees' bat boy during the early 90s. The team didn't exactly include today's all-star lineup, but there are some good stories about Donnie and others.

October Men : Reggie Jackson, George Steinbrenner, Billy Martin, and the Yankees' Miraculous Finish in 1978 by Roger Kahn. Kahn's writing style is in a class by itself. Some may find it disjointed at times, especially when he includes paragraphs unrelated to the topic at hand, but somehow he always manages to get back to the main point. And no no one turns a phrase like Kahn. His book, Boys of Summer, is considered by many to be the best baseball book ever written.

Bronx Zoo by Sparky Lyle and Peter Golenbock. Lyle's hilarious behind the scenes account of the tumultuous 1978 season. These are the Yankees of my youth, and I'll always have a soft spot for this team, but even if I didn't, I'd find this book one of the funniest I've read.

Birth of a Dynasty: Behind the Pinstripes with the 1996 Yankees by Joel Sherman. I really enjoy behind the scenes stuff, and this book has it.

One Day at Fenway: A Day in the Life of Baseball in America by Steve Kettmann. Another behind the scenes book, but this one is all about one game played in the middle of a pennant race: Yankees vs. Red Sox on August 30, 2003. Kettmann gives us a view of this one game from the perspective of everyone from fans in the stands to Red Sox GM, Theo Epstein. By the way, the Yankees won the game 10-7.

The Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty : The Game, the Team, and the Cost of Greatness by Buster Olney. Some may argue with Olney's premise (that the Yankees are dead), but it gives the reader more behind the scenes stuff. This time it's a view of the Yankee Dynasty principals (Torre, Jeter, Big Stein, etc.) intertwined within an inning by inning look at game 7 of the 2001 world series. Interesting idea, and it works.

The Pride and the Pressure: A Season Inside the New York Yankee Fishbowl by Michael Morrissey. No big revelations here, but it's more behind the scenes stuff, this time with a more current team, the 2006 Yanks.

Pride of October: What it Was to Be Young and a Yankee by Bill Madden. Each chapter is a visit with former Yankees from Marius Russo, who played with Lou Gehrig, to more contemporaries like Mattingly and O'Neill. I found it interesting since it gave me some background on Yankees I didn't know much about.

Chasing the Dream by Joe Torre. Basically an autobiography, but it gives the reader more behind the scenes stuff, this time the 1996 season from Torre's perspective.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the Bronx Is Burning: 1977, Baseball, Politics, and the Battle for the Soul of a City by Jonathan Mahler. This is the book on which the ESPN miniseries was based. Not specifically about the Yankees, but the 1977 team plays a large part. Even if you saw the ESPN series, I recommend the book. Jumping from storyline to storyline works much better on the printed page than it did on the TV screen.

Few And Chosen: Defining Yankee Greatness Across The Eras by Phil Pepe and Whitey Ford. Like lists? Then this is the book for you. Whitey gives us his top players at each position. He also gives us some anecdotes about his former teammates. Let the discussions begin!

Thurman Munson: An Autobiography by Thurman Munson and Marty Appel. I took this book out of my local library so many times as a kid, the librarian set it aside for me when it was finally included in a library book sale. She said, "You practically own it already." LOL. Best book out there about Munson. And yes, I still have the library copy.

I'd love to get some suggestions from other fans. I'm always looking for a good book.

Heidi
    The Bill Madden one is fantastic, the Buster Olney, I never finished, but I didn't really enjoy it.
    "Never, never, never quit."-Winston Churchill.

NYYF Triple Crown

A great book that I've read about the Yankees is Maury Allen's All Roads Lead to October about Steinbrenner's run with the Yankees.

Luckiest Man was great. I only wish it had been written ten years sooner so it had more primary interviews.

A Pitcher's Story by Roger Angell (about the guy to my left) is also very good. But I've never read anything bad by Roger Angell.

I've always been a big fan of Murderer's Row by G.H. Fleming, which is a compilation of newspaper articles and other primary sources from the 1927 season. Waite Hoyt had a huge hand as a consultant in the editing process, as well as wrote the forward a couple months before he died -- and it's probably one of the few things ever written about the '27 team by one of the players themselves (ghostwritten columns don't count). [Note: It may be out of print, but most libraries have it, and used copies are always floating around the web.]

Baseball As I Have Known It by Fred Lieb is another one of my favorites. It's not Yankee-specific, but Lieb was a sportswriter for over seventy years, a significant portion of which was based in New York, so there are chapters on Ruth, Gehrig, Hal Chase, and Carl Mays, among lots of other goodies, a lot of which you may not have heard before.
    "You aint my b!tch, n!gga! Buy your own damn fries!" -- Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

The Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty is the best sports book I have ever read.

The Michael Morrisey crappy book was crap. I think it was called Pressure and Pinstripes. Sucked.

NYYF Cy Young

Game of Shadows isn't a Yankee book (though Giambi is in it), but you should read it anyway if you haven't.

"Birth of a Dynasty" and "Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty" are very good, I liked the latter better.
    If they ask who was our star, give them twenty five names, and if you forget our names, just tell them we were Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84

The Michael Morrisey crappy book was crap. I think it was called Pressure and Pinstripes. Sucked.
    I just ordered "The Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty" from Amazon...
    “Begin each day as if it were on purpose........”—Alex Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by ace
    Game of Shadows isn't a Yankee book (though Giambi is in it), but you should read it anyway if you haven't.

"Birth of a Dynasty" and "Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty" are very good, I liked the latter better.

Birth of Dynasty was really good.

Another good one....although its one really just for fun....is 101 Reason to Love The Yankees (And 10 Reasons to Hate The Red Sox) By Ron Green, Jr

Oh and Bleeding Pinstripes is a really good one too. Its all about the Bleacher Creatures

Quote Originally Posted by NYYankees6265
    Birth of Dynasty was really good.

Another good one....although its one really just for fun....is 101 Reason to Love The Yankees (And 10 Reasons to Hate The Red Sox) By Ron Green, Jr

Only 10? Seems a little low, dontcha think?

I really enjoyed "Emperors and Idiots" about the Yankees/Sox rivalry.
    [COLOR=navy][/COLOR]

NYYF Triple Crown

"The Rivalry" was good about the Yankees/Sox rivalry, plus my cousins are in a picture in it.

NYYF Legend

Summer of '49 and October'64 by the late David Halberstam are great books.
    No Rally Monkeys, Towels or hankies
    Just 50,000 fans of the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by PYanks
    This thread is designed to be a forum to discuss or recommend good Yankees books that you have read. There are, of course, many such books, both historical and contemporary. Perhaps you're looking for a good Yankees book to read and can get an idea from a post here. Perhaps you've read one recently you'd like to discuss with others. Here's the place for that!

I recently read Jonathan Eig's The Luckiest Man, a biography of Lou Gehrig. The book was outstanding in terms of its research and style. I also read Pride and Pinstripes, Mel Stottlemyre's autobiography--also worth a read.
    I loved Luckiest Man! And now I'm reading Pride and Pinstripes.

NYYF Legend

110 miles from the greatest Stadium on earth / Section 210

Quote Originally Posted by ace

I have Game of Shadows and haven't read it yet. I also have Bronx is Burning that I have to read.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyColonieYankee
    I really enjoyed "Emperors and Idiots" about the Yankees/Sox rivalry.
    Speak of the devil! My aunt just sent me a free copy of that today. I wouldn't've paid money for it, but eventually maybe I'll get around to reading it.

Add Babe: The Legend Comes To Life by Robert Creamer to this list. An oldie, but from what I gather no one's quite done as good a job narrating the life of the Bambino as he has. A lot of the crazy stories we know and hear about Ruth that have sort of become canon originated in that book.
    "You aint my b!tch, n!gga! Buy your own damn fries!" -- Barack Obama

Devoted Member
    467 miles from Yankee Stadium (Cleveland)

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84

Olney's book was excellent, to be sure. He is a very good writer and as a NYTimes beat writer had incredible access. Now that he's with ESPN, I think he continues to maintain a high level of access.

You're right about Morrisey's The Pride and the Pressure. I read it, but it was not good at all.

Joel Sherman's book, Birth of a Dynasty, is also a very good read, as some of you have already pointed out.
    "You don't play the games on paper....you have to play the games."
    --Derek Jeter

NYYF Legend

I am currently reading a book by Jim Reisler called "The Best Game Ever" which is the story of the seventh game of the 1960 WS between the Yankees and the Pirates inwhich Pittsburgh won in the bottom of the 9th inning by a homerun off the bat of Bill Mazaroski. Even though I was skeptical about reading a book showing how the Yanks who dominated that Series lost it, I decided to give it a try and have found it fascinating. I can remember that series vividly. It was a great disappointment for me at the time since I was in college and had to bear the teasing from my anti-yankee friends. However, I would definitely recommend this book especially to the old timers on this forum who may remember it as I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Toaderly
    Only 10? Seems a little low, dontcha think?

Personally, I think its alittle low because I think we all knows theres plenty more than that, but sadly he chose to only include 10.
    [IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/FallenxAngel/4brit32.png[/IMG]

My favorite book is a fiction book called Yankee Rookie by Ed Fitzgerald. My dad got it in the 1950s, and I found it on a shelf one day when I was a kid and started reading it. That's how I became a Yankee fan. When I have kids, I'll let them read it if they don't mind the musty smell and yellow pages.

And I"ll second the nomination for Creamer's biography of the Babe. It's a great book and everybody should read it. I read it in college for a class about American history. I had no idea the Babe was such a great pitcher before reading it.

One book that I haven't seen mentioned that I enjoyed was Taking on the Yankees. It's basically a book discussing the history of the business of baseball and how it has changed, and the Yankees and their history are discusses thoroughly in it. I found it very interesting.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

RIP, Pete.

Released Outright Varitek=SuckerPunch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by penguin4

Add Babe: The Legend Comes To Life by Robert Creamer to this list. An oldie, but from what I gather no one's quite done as good a job narrating the life of the Bambino as he has. A lot of the crazy stories we know and hear about Ruth that have sort of become canon originated in that book.
    You might want to check out the The Big Bam: The Life and Times of Babe Ruth . I thought it was a great book about the Babe. It may have the same stories as the book you listed but it's worth checking out.

Also, I really liked Paul O'Neill's book, Me and My Dad: A Baseball Memoir. It was great! He talked about how hard it was to retire and he also wrote about his temper! That was the best part.

Addicted Member

For all you parents out there, there is a great A-Z book of Yankee heroes. My sons love it and the illustrations are great.

Thread Information