+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

General comments on the offseason so far.

This offseason has been a rollercoaster pretty much since the day the season came to an abrupt end. In an offseason that has had some very exciting rumors, what has been everyones take on it so far? This is my first thread start.
    If you listen to the fans you’ll be sitting with them soon enough.- Brian Cashman

Re: General comments on the offseason so far.

Quote Originally Posted by R.V.47
    This offseason has been a rollercoaster pretty much since the day the season came to an abrupt end. In an offseason that has had some very exciting rumors, what has been everyones take on it so far? This is my first thread start.

I gotta tell ya.... its so "play by play" nowadays that its almost too much.

Girardi - I loved the hire. We need "New" __________.<-fill in what you want

AROD - love his talent... dont know if he can deliver. Atleast we know we signed him to break the HR record. The way he is going with the postseasons in NY that may be all we get from him.

Pettitte - glad he is back. Hope he can put up another great year.

Santana - dont want to give up the young guns for him but at the same time if Boston gets him then it could be a while before we win another WS while watching Boston collect 2-3 more.... although getting Santana is not as much of a WS win lock as it is if Boston gets him

Mariano - was signed because we had too. At some point we need a NEW closer.
    "Every new beginning comes from some other beginnings end"

NYYF Legend

I would give it a B right now.

Quote Originally Posted by R.V.47
    The Good: Keeping Hughes and telling Smith to go ................ himself, Pettitte coming back
    The Bad: Contracts given to Rivera and Posada
    The Ugly: The whole A-rod fiasco.

If Cash can land Lincecum for Matsui and Kennedy, that will go under The ................ing Excellent.

Everything In Its Right Place

I really loved seeing Girardi come, but hated to see Donnie and Torre go; that was tough.

Arod - It's nice to know that the greatest player in baseball will be in NY for the next 10 years. I'm looking forward to his address to the media about this whole opt-out deal

Rivera, Hip-hip, Pettitte, Abreu...all good

Lincecum, Cain - Dear Giants, give us one you greedy bastards

Ofcourse, this is all dwarfed by the recent devestating news..Bronson Sardinha has been DFA'ed
    [IMG]http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i88/davesgotbucket/Radiohead7Albumscopy3.jpg?t=1197004225[/IMG]

Everything In Its Right Place

Quote Originally Posted by CanoForPresident
    The Good: Keeping Hughes and telling Smith to go ................ himself, Pettitte coming back

If Cash can land Lincecum for Matsui and Kennedy, that will go under The ................ing Excellent.
    LOL @ your new title...good times
    [IMG]http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i88/davesgotbucket/Radiohead7Albumscopy3.jpg?t=1197004225[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by pWi
    LOL @ your new title...good times
    haha yeah. I was debating between that and "Teni makes my pants move."

NYYF Legend

Pretty much everything that I wanted to happen has happened. I wanted Torre gone and I wanted Girardi to replace him. I wanted to re-sign A-Rod (although for 2 years less). I wnated to re-sign Mo (although for 1 year less). I wanted to re-sign Po (although for 1 year less). I wanted to get rid of Andy Phillips because I think Betemit can do the job. I wanted Pettitte to come back. I wanted Joba to be a starter. I wanted to keep the young pitchers and the Twins to keep Johan. So far that has happened, but I still think the Twins end up trading Johan. We'll see.

Anyways, I'm very happy with the offseason. It's not over yet though.
    “I mean, people knew that Brown was out there, and that Randy was ornery all the time. And Pavano is whoever he is. But if you’re their manager, you can’t go out and write about them like that.

Devoted Member
    Viva Las Vegas, 2539 miles from Yankee Stadium

This offseason has been one hell of a rollercoaster already.

Before the season ended, I thought for sure ARod would get extended and show everyone he isn't a money grubbing whore. Then he opted out and I hated his guts for a couple weeks...then he came crawling back and I love him again I'm very glad we have him back, we were so screwed with all the other options out there.

I thought Pettitte was coming back for sure, but got worried when Cash, Posada and others said they thought he would retire.

Mo being re-signed was a given, I don't care that we overpaid, he is the greatest ever and he deserves it.

Posada almost scared us to death by at least listening to the Muts and I was scared for a minute.

Joe G is going to provide a VERY nice spark, imo. I think he is going to keep everyone on their toes and make sure we don't have that "flip the switch" mentality in June when we're 14 games back.

I wanted Santana bad. He would be so dominant on our club, it would be filthy. But, I was very angry about the thought of losing Hughes. I'm excited that he is still with us and I hope it stays that way.

I think with the team we have now, we could win the East by a few games. We won't have 15 different rookies starting games for us (hopefully). Hopefully no Igawa starts, no back to back to back to back homers , no Karstens, Rasner, etc. Damon and Abreu won't slump for the first 1/2 of the season and our bullpen won't blow so many games.
    [FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=5]REFUSE TO BOO!!![/SIZE][/FONT]

"Mariano Rivera might do his job better than any other athlete in history of team sports." - Peter Abraham

I disagree.

the good list is fine.

The Bad list is not bad- Posada won't C all 4 years- he's going to DH by year 3- the bat will be worth the $- and they weren't going to get a better C for the next 2 years this off-season. Mo's contract is fine- what does it matter what they pay him as long as he gets it done.

The ARod thing worked out well. $27M per is fine for ARod- if you paid him more than anyone else- fine. Remember that ARod likes getting paid, and if it keeps him happy and productive, the Yanks can live with that.

As for the Linecum stuff- why does everyone want to overpay for a HUGE ?

Remember that Linecum hasn't pitched 200 IP anywhere at anytime in a season. In other words, no one knows if he can hold up. His control is also an issue, and he just isn't a big and strong enough guy to throw 110-120 pitches every outing all year.

Remember, trades are about getting back what you put into them.

In other words, if Kennedy went 12-7 and 14-10 over the next two seasons, and Linecum went 16-8 and 17-9 over the next two seasons, is that worth Matsui AND Kennedy for 7 more wins? I don't think that's the most effective use of an asset (Matsui).

Keep in mind that Kennedy for Linecum is essentially a lateral move- so you have to make sure you are not giving up too much to get the small added benefit.

In other words, if Matsui goes .285 25 100, and Giambi spends another 2 months on the DL, is giving up Matsui for those same 7 wins above and effective move? No, it isn't.

Linecum is a good talent- but let's not get carried away with his legend- focus on what you are giving up before you dream big. Also remember, the Yanks have generally been very unsuccessful trying to capture pitchers with big upsides in trades- see Vasquez and Weaver.

We overpaid for Arod. No one was signing him for that sum. We should of low balled him by at least 50 million. Espeically after the opt out.

Glad we are keeping the kids so far and not doing the Santana deal...

Glad Mo and Po are back...

'Kick ass. Pop champagne. And get some ho's.'

NYYF Legend

So far its been a decent off-season. Wanted Torre replaced by Girardi and all the Yankees' free-agents resigned and that happened. Wanted Pettitte back also. And so far Hughes,Joba and Kennedy are still with us. If Cashman can get some middle relief help the team should be ok in 2008.

This is our future. JohnnyDamonfan's Avatar

Right now I'd give it a B- It's great that we got Pettitte and Mo and Molina and A-rod back. I like the new manager. Now if we can only get Santana. I'd rate this offseason A++++.

NYYF Legend

haha yeah. I was debating between that and "Teni makes my pants move."
    You should change it to "I'd like to use a Trojan on this Trojan"

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84
    You should change it to "I'd like to use a Trojan on this Trojan"
    I concur.
    Masahiro Tanaka, 24-0 in 2013. He's the Japanese Jack Bauer.

I am happy so far with the offseason..

I won't get into money stuff, because I still feel like it is not my money and the tix/cable/merchandise etc ain't going to cost more because of the contracts we just signed..

But I wanted our free agents back, there was nothing that was better than Rivera and Posada at their positions. Done.

I did want Arod back. Mcab would have been nice to replace him, but the price in blood would have been tremendous to get him. As it is, we got the one guy who can outperform MCab at third back in the fold, and all it costs us was cash green, not blood (Hughes, Joba, Cano etc) red.

Pettitte back was huge beyond imagination, it probably saved our prospects from being pillaged by Minnesota.
    Got back Molina to backup, and underrated and good move.
    Added Hawkins, a solid addition for one year.

So far, I give it a B.
    We have held serve and still are one of the 3 or 4 best teams out there..

Now, what could be?
    If we land Johan Santana without surrendering a king's ransom, then I would upgrade to an A. If we do that and land a bullpen arm or two to really solidify it, then A+, because that would then be the perfect offseason.

But if we see Santana go to Boston, then I downshift our grade to the C territory, because we must do everything in our power to prevent that. I realize we do not want to surrender a king's ransom, but I do feel that Phil Hughes, and I love him, is not worth hugging like a child in a storm while we watch a dynasty unfold in New England.
    Hughes will be better than Johan one day. I know that. I agree with it. But I still feel he is not worth holding on to because he will be better 5 years from now, after Boston has beaten the tar out of us those 5 years..
    I'll deal with it then. We have a lot of big time arms who could be studs in 5 years, I'll take my chances one of them is as good as Hughes may be by then.. I love Brackman and Betances and feel like they'll be that untouchable in 5 years, maybe sooner.
    I used to think I was crazy... Now I am sure of it..

The best part of the offseason has to be that Hank and Cashman have let the rest of the league know that its not business as usual with the yanks anymore and we arent just going to pay any price in prospects anymore to get the player we want. We are still grossly overpaying players but the Santana stand by Hank will help us in other trade talks.
    If you listen to the fans you’ll be sitting with them soon enough.- Brian Cashman

NYYF Cy Young

A-Rod: Coulda held his feet to the fire a little more, but I think if they had done so, he could have gotten a big contract elsewhere. Not $27 mil per, but big. Not so worried about the playoffs with him, he's just too good.

Jorge: I love the guy and they had to eat that money, because there are so few catchers and even fewer actually available. Very little chance of him being as good as he's been lately in 2011.

Mariano: See above. New options need to be explored in the very near future.

Andy: Welcome back

Santana: Hm...I would have given Phil for him, but that's just me. I can see the argument for either side. I do know the Sox gave up a potential MVP for Beckett; granted, position players are different than pitchers, but sometimes you have to pay the price. Anyway, I hope Phil becomes special, but I'm not convinced.
    Attention Steinbrenner and front-office morons! Your triumphs mean nothing. You all stink. You can sit on it, and rotate! This is George Costanza. I fear no reprisal. Extension 5-1-7-0.

Quote Originally Posted by a2ruYankee
    Santana - dont want to give up the young guns for him but at the same time if Boston gets him then it could be a while before we win another WS while watching Boston collect 2-3 more ... although getting Santana is not as much of a WS win lock as it is if Boston gets him.
    i agree with both of these points. perfectly put.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Devoted Member
    467 miles from Yankee Stadium (Cleveland)

Worst news this postseason: Gagne will no longer be in Beantown
    "You don't play the games on paper....you have to play the games."
    --Derek Jeter

NYYF Legend

Typical offseason. Lots of talk. No action. The action usually heats up towards the end of January.

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

I like the re-signings and the fact that we still have the yutes. I'm a Torre supporter but, I think that, if a move had to be made, Joe G was the correct choice although, I also thought that Bowa would have been good for 2 or 3 years. The key is getting some bullpen help and, hopefully, another righthanded bat who can play 1B and the OF. Obviously, Santana would have been a great pick up but, not at the price Minny was asking. Overall, it's been a B+ offseason thus far. Remember that we won 94 games last year and have had zero major losses to the team.

NYYF Legend

The rumors have been crazy. I'm satisfied that we've retained our free agents. I also think that thus far things have been uneventful outside of the Detroit/Florida deal.
    Disco Stu:
    Nick Swisher has agreed to a $56 mil, 4 year contract with the Cleveland Indians. Good riddance!!!

teknetic
    .268/.367/.483 .850 during his four years here. Can we get rid of you instead?

King Hereafter

Quote Originally Posted by PYanks
    $10 million for Gagne

I don't remember jumping over any guns. Just picking them up and shooting them in the air in a rootin' tootin' fashion. -bcom33

Don't call it a comeback False1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PYanks
    Also, Jacoby "Hells Ells"bury was not traded by our fiercest rivals, meaning he will smite us with the fire of a thousand suns. Either that, or run out to CF in a very fast and intimidating fashion.

Thread Information