+ Reply to Thread
Page 75 of 78 FirstFirst ... 25 65 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 1931

Re: The Official Cricket Thread

not liking this media reaction to the series win. my god, they are being compared to the 70s/80s windies team and the 90s/2000s aussies. they are around 8 years of dominance away being in the conversation and even then, i suspect that the lack of competition will prevent them from being considered that good.

all that said, am still planning on watching sky's rise to the top type programme tonight.

Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    they are being compared to the 70s/80s windies team and the 90s/2000s aussies.
    Only the English, only them could manage something like that.

Zimbabwe about to beat Bangladesh again. Poor Law, not a great way to start your coaching career.

I wouldn't mind having a look at this Vitori kid.

Yanksfanintoronto Yanksfanintoronto's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tabata View Post
    Only the English, only them could manage something like that.

Zimbabwe about to beat Bangladesh again. Poor Law, not a great way to start your coaching career.

I wouldn't mind having a look at this Vitori kid.
    The English media is garbage....They over react when the Poms are winning or losing. It's been garbage for years and the Indian media is headed that way if they haven't already passed them.

Tabatha whats your opinion on the Argus review? As an Aussie fan im glad they got Chappell out of the selection committee. To me the change also has to include the general culture of the recent cricketers the system has produced.

On a more positive note, great win by the guys in SL. Clarke seems to be continuing his aggressive captaincy and the Test series has me pumped.
    Death, Taxes and King Eli under centre

NYYF Legend

Hey Yanksfanintoronto,

To be honest I haven’t been able to go through the Argus review properly yet because I haven’t had the time. I wasn’t all that fussed on how they cleaned out the committee/coaching personnel as this was always going to happen regardless of a review. They are only a small part of the problem IMO. The important part of the review was how they planned to correct the first class system and the set up of the national team. They seem to have made a lot of right moves there but at the end of the day it’s up to the CA Board to imply all of them.

The CA has become too focused on 20/20 and if this doesn’t change first class cricket will decline in this country big time.

Hey Yanksfanintoronto,

To be honest I havenít been able to go through the Argus review properly yet because I havenít had the time. I wasnít all that fussed on how they cleaned out the committee/coaching personnel as this was always going to happen regardless of a review. They are only a small part of the problem IMO. The important part of the review was how they planned to correct the first class system and the set up of the national team. They seem to have made a lot of right moves there but at the end of the day itís up to the CA Board to imply all of them.

The CA has become too focused on 20/20 and if this doesnít change first class cricket will decline in this country big time.
    Tabata, I completely agree bud!! Personally, I always felt like 20/20 was ok in small doses but ofcourse when you have millionare's getting involved with profits at stake, it would never remain in control. I have read a lot of reports that CA was heavily focusing on this T20 Big Summer Bash nonsense (Dont know if thats what its exactly called).

On a positive note though, I have been impressed with the Teams overall effort in the 1st Test against SL. Clarke is proving himself to be an aggressive captain with some aggressive field placements esp. with Lyon. The team is far from perfect but I like the enthusiasm. It will be interesting to see how they perform without Punter in the second Test

NYYF Legend

Yeah, decent tour of Sri Lanka so far. Shaun Marsh to make his Test debut in Pallekele as Punterís replacement. It will be only the second time ever that a father and son will have both played for the Australian Test team. The first time was back in the 1890s. Crazy to think there hasnít been more.

Yeah, decent tour of Sri Lanka so far. Shaun Marsh to make his Test debut in Pallekele as Punterís replacement. It will be only the second time ever that a father and son will have both played for the Australian Test team. The first time was back in the 1890s. Crazy to think there hasnít been more.
    \

Wow! Considering the pair of famous brothers playing together, you would think there would be more father and son pairs....Shaun has a great technique conducive to Tests. Im looking forward to Lyon's performance as well. Btw the Galle wicket is under review by the ICC. If it gets sanctions it would be great to know that a young Aussie team won on a dustbowl that might very soon be illegal.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yanksfanintoronto View Post
    Wow! Considering the pair of famous brothers playing together, you would think there would be more father and son pairs....Shaun has a great technique conducive to Tests.
    Was nice to see Shaun score his first test century on debut with his father there at the ground to enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanksfanintoronto View Post
    Btw the Galle wicket is under review by the ICC. If it gets sanctions it would be great to know that a young Aussie team won on a dustbowl that might very soon be illegal.
    Yeah I noticed that. From what I saw it wasn't that bad. Perhaps it wasn't ideal, but it certainly wasn't a 'poor' pitch.

The Sri Lankan weather is playing around with the 2nd Test right now. Australia will probably declare overnight to give them as much time to bowl Sri Lanka out twice during the last two days, because they'll probably need it looking at the weather forecasts.

NYYF Legend

We've blown our chance to win this test match today. This is going to end a draw surely. Too much work to do now and not enough time left with the sh*t weather and bad light issues.

That SA AUS TEST WAS CRAZY.

Congratulations to a cricket legend: India's Sachin Tendulkar recorded his 100th international century during India's Asia Cup cricket match against Bangladesh where Bangladesh won by 5 wickets (4 balls remaining).
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/asia-cup...ry/557526.html

114 runs for Sachin.
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

NYYF Legend

Congrats to him. It'll be a very long time until someone else does it, if ever.

At least it's now over. The wankfest over it while he was trying to get it here during the summer got a bit much.

Also Rahul Dravid has retired. Hell of a career, Congrats to him too.

Is this the weirdest thing ever? Not appealing for LBWs? If the BCCI accept this then they have truly lost sight of what is important.

Pakistan board not to seek revenues from India series in return for being considered at all, the PCB has effectively gone on record to state that they are willing to forfeit their share of the revenue from the proposed series against India. But they haven't stopped there. As an added goodwill gesture, the PCB has reportedly also promised the BCCI that Pakistan players will not appeal for lbws during the series. "We're looking at the bigger picture here," said a spokesman for the PCB philosophically. "What money and lbws we lose out on during the India tour is only short term, and both should be recouped if and when Bangladesh decide to visit us."
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/page2/co...ry/573610.html

NYYF Legend

For whatever reason cricinfo isn't working for me right now so I couldn't look at the link. Not sure about everyone else.

I want on a Pakistan cricket forum to see if there was any discussion on this issue and I couldn't find anything on first look. So I'm not sure if it's really serious. But yes that would be very weird and nothing like it should ever actually happen, no matter how badly a Cricket Board needs the money.

The section I posted was all the had on this issue.

NYYF Legend

Okay, cricinfo is working now and I looked at the link. It was a joke you had me there for a second.

Yeah, was wondering who wouldn't read the fine print at the end of the article.

Time to bump this thread...

It's another edition of the ICC Twenty20 World Cup.

Will England win their second straight Twenty20 World Cup or will India add the 2012 Twenty20 tournament to their 50-over One Day International World Cup they won a year ago?

Or will Sri Lanka lift the Twenty20 World Cup trophy in front of their home fans?

Will South Africa become ICC Twenty20 champs or chokers?

September 18-October 7, 2012
    http://www.iccworldtwenty20.com/
    "Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy." - Tennis champion Rafael Nadal

BB55's Predictions: ICC Twenty20 World Cup

Group Stage

Group A
    Winners and Advancing to Super Eight: India
    Runners-Up and Advancing to Super Eight: England
    Eliminated in Group Stage: Afghanistan

Group B
    Winners and Advancing to Super Eight: Australia
    Runners-Up and Advancing to Super Eight: West Indies
    Eliminated in Group Stage: Ireland

Group C
    Winners and Advancing to Super Eight: Sri Lanka
    Runners-Up and Advancing to Super Eight: South Africa
    Eliminated in Group Stage: Zimbabwe

Group D
    Winners and Advancing to Super Eight: Pakistan
    Runners-Up and Advancing to Super Eight: Bangladesh
    Eliminated in Group Stage: New Zealand

2012 ICC Twenty20 World Cup: Group Stage Final Scores: September 18, 2012

From ICCworldtwenty20.com, Yahoo! Cricket and ESPN Cricinfo

Hosts and 2009 ICC Twenty20 World Cup runners-up Sri Lanka dominated their first 2012 ICC Twenty20 group stage match crushing Zimbabwe by 82 runs, 182/4 to 100/all out.

Former Sri Lankan captain wicketkeeper Kumar Sangakkara was the high man of the match with 44 runs off 26 balls including four boundaries.

Sangakkara also had the highest partnership with Jeevan Mendis who combined for 94 runs. Mendis finished the day with 43 not out.

But it was lethal spinner Ajantha Mendis who was the talk of the town inside Hambantota's Mahinda Rajapaksa International Stadium.

Ajantha scored six wickets to record the achieved the best bowling figures in T20I and allowing only eight runs in four overs bowled.

2012 ICC Twenty20 World Cup: Group Stage Final Scores: September 19, 2012

Group A
    Defending ICC ODI Cricket World Cup and 2007 ICC Twenty20 champions India won their first match in the 2012 T20 campaign defeating Afghanistan by 23 runs 159 for 5 to 136/all out.

Virat Kohli was the high man in the match with 50 runs including four 4s and two 6s.

Suresh Raina added 38.

Indian fast bowler Lakshmipathy Balaji and 2011 ICC Cricket World Cup Player of the Tournament Yuvraj Singh each had three wickets.

Group B
    2010 ICC T20 runners-up Australia dismantled Ireland winning by seven wickets at the 15.1 over, 125 for 3 to the Irish's 123 for 7.

All-rounder Shane Watson scored 51 runs and snatched three wickets.

2012 ICC Twenty20 World Cup: Group Stage Final Scores: September 20, 2012

Group C
    South Africa and Sri Lanka punch their tickets to the Super Eight Group Stage of the 2012 ICC Twenty20 tournament.

The Proteas sent Zimbabwe packing with a 10 wicket win, 94 for no loss to Zimbabwe's 93 for 8.

Jacques Kallis nailed down four wickets. Richard Levi and Hashim Amla did the rest with Levi scoring 50.

2012 ICC Twenty20 World Cup: Group Stage Final Scores: September 21, 2012

Group A
    England sent Afghanistan packing with a 116-run thrashing and join India into the Super Eight stage of the ICC Twenty20 World Cup, 196 for 5 to 80/all out.

Luke Wright had 99 runs including six maximums.

Wright had two high partnerships in the match teaming up with Alex Hales for a 69-run partnership and 72 with Eoin Morgan.

The English bowlers Jade Dernbach, Stuart Broad, Samit Patel and Graeme Swann each had two wickets.

Group D
    Brendon McCullum's 123 helped New Zealand pound Bangladesh by 59 runs 191 for 3 to 132 for 8.

Brendon McCullum had 18 boundaries including seven 6s.

Nasir Hossain had 50 for Bangladesh, but their bats were silenced by Kyle Mills and Tim Southee who had three wickets each.

2012 ICC Twenty20 World Cup: Group Stage Final Scores: September 22, 2012

Group B
    Australia booked their spot in the Super Eight stage with a Duckworth/Lewis method win over West Indies by 17 runs, 191 for 8 to 100 for 1 after 9.1 overs.

Chris Gayle had 54 runs and Marlon Samuels added 50.

But Mitchell Starc kept the Aussies in it with three wickets with Shane Watson adding two.

Watson also had 41 not out off 24 balls before the rain came.

D/L par score at 9.1 overs is 83, hence the winning margin is 17.

Group C
    South Africa beat hosts Sri Lanka in a rain-shortened match, 78 for 4 to 46 for 5.

The rain reduced the match to 7 overs.

AB de Villiers's 30 runs and Dale Steyn's two wickets were enough for the Proteas to win Group C and Sri Lanka joins them as Group C runners-up.

2012 ICC Twenty20 World Cup: Group Stage Final Scores: September 23, 2012

Group A
    India demolished England by 90 runs 170 for 4 to 80 all out.

Rohit Sharma took apart England's bowlers with 55 not out and Gautam Gambhir and Virat Kohli added 45 and 40 runs respectively.

The Indian bowlers had a grand time against England who scored their lowest T20 score.

Spinners Harbhajan Singh and Piyush Chawla hauled six wickets combined with Harbhajan fooling England bats with four.

India and England advanced to the Super Eight stages with India winning Group A.

Group D
    Pakistan won by 13 runs over a barnstorming New Zealand, 177 for 6 to 164 for 9.

Nasir Jamshed scored 56 runs off 35 balls including four 6s.

Saeed Ajmal also had four wickets for Pakistan as them and New Zealand advance to the Super Eight stage.

Thread Information