+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 77 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 54 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: The Official Cricket Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nashwan
    Excellent morning session for the Indian team on Day 1 of the First Test in Delhi. Pakistan won the toss and decided to bat on what looks like a pretty slow pitch with uneven bounce and struggled to reach 74-3 at the break. Some good bowling by the home team but Pakistan didn't show a lot of ambition. Incidentally, I know that India is well off with batsmen, gdn, but what do you think lies behind the decision to omit Youvraj Singh, who is in the form of his life, from the Indian team?
    Nashwan, I think it's just a question of no room! The openers are "set" and then you've got the 4 oldies who have been playing well enough to keep their places. Add in the keeper and the captain and the opening bowlers and there's no place for Yuvraj. Once again, India were unable to wrap up the tail and will end up paying for that. After Pak was reeling at 142/8, they let them off the hook and they're now at 210/8.

I did get to watch some of the match, though

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by gdn
    Nashwan, I think it's just a question of no room! The openers are "set" and then you've got the 4 oldies who have been playing well enough to keep their places. Add in the keeper and the captain and the opening bowlers and there's no place for Yuvraj. Once again, India were unable to wrap up the tail and will end up paying for that. After Pak was reeling at 142/8, they let them off the hook and they're now at 210/8.
    Personally, I'd ditch Ganguly, although I suppose his bowling comes in useful.

I did get to watch some of the match, though
    Delighted to hear it!

Addicted Member

That will a first, then: money doesn't talk! Don't see it happening myself and I guess we'll have to wait a while to find out.
    I think what I was hinting at is Home Tests will be put back on the 'Crown Jewels' list - certainly if The Ashes 2009 live up to the 2005 version. The Government really regretted the move to remove those tests after the success cricket had in 2005.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Blokee
    I think what I was hinting at is Home Tests will be put back on the 'Crown Jewels' list - certainly if The Ashes 2009 live up to the 2005 version. The Government really regretted the move to remove those tests after the success cricket had in 2005.
    Sorry I failed to take the point!

Personally, I don't give a monkey's who gets the television rights to domestic cricket, but, as long as "Sky" retains the overseas, winter stuff, that will be fine with me. I could turn into a "gdn" without my dose of winter sunshine, i.e. deprived, bitter and twisted!

Addicted Member

Sorry I failed to take the point!

Personally, I don't give a monkey's who gets the television rights to domestic cricket, but, as long as "Sky" retains the overseas, winter stuff, that will be fine with me. I could turn into a "gdn" without my dose of winter sunshine, i.e. deprived, bitter and twisted!
    I have Sky and love their coverage, but if the Beeb and c4 brought it back and Richie once again became the voice of Cricket, with Boycott as his wing-man then I'd be happy enough.

NYYF HOF

I have Sky and love their coverage, but if the Beeb and c4 brought it back and Richie once again became the voice of Cricket, with Boycott as his wing-man then I'd be happy enough.
    Oh, I don't know, Boycott makes my head explode at times with his negativity. I'll take Richie (Benaud) any time, but surely the time will come, probably sooner rather than later, when, sadly, he tires of globe-trotting. I know that thanks to air travel, the world is a smaller place these days, but, when all said and done, the guy is now 77 years of age.

Addicted Member

Oh, I don't know, Boycott makes my head explode at times with his negativity. I'll take Richie (Benaud) any time, but surely the time will come, probably sooner rather than later, when, sadly, he tires of globe-trotting. I know that thanks to air travel, the world is a smaller place these days, but, when all said and done, the guy is now 77 years of age.
    Did you know that for the past thirty years or so he's stayed in the same suite in one of the top London hotels? (I can't recall off hand which one it is) but when they came to redecorating - they actually went to Richie & Mrs Richie and asked them what they wanted. He still spends summers over here as he doesn't like winters, so I'm very sure if the game went back to free-to-air TV that he'd once more return to the UK booth. I see Richie as someone who will commentate until he's no longer wanted - and I can never see that happening.

As for Boycott - I love his style - I thought it complemented Richie perfectly when they were on together and they are very good friends.

NYYF HOF

Did you know that for the past thirty years or so he's stayed in the same suite in one of the top London hotels? (I can't recall off hand which one it is) but when they came to redecorating - they actually went to Richie & Mrs Richie and asked them what they wanted. He still spends summers over here as he doesn't like winters, so I'm very sure if the game went back to free-to-air TV that he'd once more return to the UK booth. I see Richie as someone who will commentate until he's no longer wanted - and I can never see that happening.

As for Boycott - I love his style - I thought it complemented Richie perfectly when they were on together and they are very good friends.
    If I were Richie, I'd spend more time as President/Patron of the Sarasota Cricket Club, Florida! I could happily retire to a place like that! Seriously, I would love him to come back but, at the moment, I can't see much likelihood of it happening. Still, as always, glad to be ultimately proved wrong.

NYYF HOF

Well, looks like India have the first test against Pakistan in Delhi wrapped up. Pakistan must be the most enigmatic team in world cricket: theoretically, they should be able to compete with the very best but just when it appears that they are in with a shout of winning, they collapse like a deck of cards.

In other news, I see that Steve Harmison is doubtful because of alleged back spasms for next Friday's first test match against Sri Lanka. Oh well, what's new?

NYYF Legend

Well, looks like India have the first test against Pakistan in Delhi wrapped up. Pakistan must be the most enigmatic team in world cricket: theoretically, they should be able to compete with the very best but just when it appears that they are in with a shout of winning, they collapse like a deck of cards.

In other news, I see that Steve Harmison is doubtful because of alleged back spasms for next Friday's first test match against Sri Lanka. Oh well, what's new?
    What a fine victory for the Indians, indeed. A great start for the captaincy of Kumble. Whether this translates to anything overseas remains to be seen. I think of the Ind-Pak matches as just a warm up to the forthcoming tour down under. Maybe if India wins a match there, it can be counted as a success.

Steve who?

NYYF HOF

What a fine victory for the Indians, indeed. A great start for the captaincy of Kumble. Whether this translates to anything overseas remains to be seen. I think of the Ind-Pak matches as just a warm up to the forthcoming tour down under. Maybe if India wins a match there, it can be counted as a success.
    Theoretically, the Indians should give the Australians a decent series but, like England, I don't see them having the firepower to bowl the home team out twice. Also, the slow, low wickets prevalent on the sub-continent aren't likely to be replicated in Australia!! (To be fair, I don't think the Australian wickets, particularly at Perth, are as good as they were 10/15/20 years ago.) I think that the Indians will compete with anyone with their deep batting line up, but the bowling is something else.

Steve who?
    The "Carl Pavano" of the cricket world!

Addicted Member

Excellent performance by England today in Day 1 of the 1st test in Kandi. Restricted SL to under 200 after the home side won the toss, only four players even reached double figures, and two of them were 10 & 12.

Cook went early for the visitors but Bell and Vaughan saw England through to the close of play at 49/1.

NYYF Legend

India seem to be doing well too. A total of over 600 and then taking a wicket in the dying minutes of the day.

Having said that, I think this match is heading for a draw. I'm not sure there was any need to bat for most of the second day as well.

NYYF HOF

India seem to be doing well too. A total of over 600 and then taking a wicket in the dying minutes of the day.

Having said that, I think this match is heading for a draw. I'm not sure there was any need to bat for most of the second day as well.
    I think it is totally unfair that "Sky" television televised both the England/Sri Lanka and India/Pakistan games today! The constant channel hopping gets on my nerves, but, as a cricket afficionado, what can you do?!!

The India/Pakistan game should be a certain draw because the pitch is as flat as a pancake! However, if I were India I would never lose sight of the fact that the Pakistani batting is very fragile and if they can remove another couple of Pakistani batsmen in the morning, it could make for an interesting day.

The Sri Lanka/England game was unusual in that England actually bowled very well. (Steve Harmison being left out could have had something to do with it!) Only Kumar Sangakkara, whose average is currently 200+, showed how to play and had England managed to get him out early, the hosts would have been shot out for less than 100. Very impressive bowling by Matthew Hoggard. Still, mustn't grumble at limiting the Sri Lankan total to 188 and England is currently in a decent position in the match.

NYYF Legend

I think it is totally unfair that "Sky" television televised both the England/Sri Lanka and India/Pakistan games today! The constant channel hopping gets on my nerves, but, as a cricket afficionado, what can you do?!!

The India/Pakistan game should be a certain draw because the pitch is as flat as a pancake! However, if I were India I would never lose sight of the fact that the Pakistani batting is very fragile and if they can remove another couple of Pakistani batsmen in the morning, it could make for an interesting day.

The Sri Lanka/England game was unusual in that England actually bowled very well. (Steve Harmison being left out could have had something to do with it!) Only Kumar Sangakkara, whose average is currently 200+, showed how to play and had England managed to get him out early, the hosts would have been shot out for less than 100. Very impressive bowling by Matthew Hoggard. Still, mustn't grumble at limiting the Sri Lankan total to 188 and England is currently in a decent position in the match.
    Well now Pak is at 350 odd for six. Three days of play over and not even one innings completed. Unless something dramatic happens,we have a draw on our hands. This is why I like Ponting's tactics. You bat aggressively, put up a big total by lunch on the second day and then have at 'em.

NYYF HOF

Well now Pak is at 350 odd for six. Three days of play over and not even one innings completed. Unless something dramatic happens,we have a draw on our hands. This is why I like Ponting's tactics. You bat aggressively, put up a big total by lunch on the second day and then have at 'em.
    It seems that, although the pitch is taking spin, once the ball starts going soft, bowling really becomes hard work. A draw looks inevitable.

Yes, the Australians' tactics of batting aggressively first time up really pay dividends and I'm surprised more teams haven't been willing to take the risk. It seems that compiling 600 over two days just makes the game more or less safe, which is the safety first approach, and then it's down to hope that you can bowl the opposition out twice in three days.

NYYF Legend

It seems that, although the pitch is taking spin, once the ball starts going soft, bowling really becomes hard work. A draw looks inevitable.

Yes, the Australians' tactics of batting aggressively first time up really pay dividends and I'm surprised more teams haven't been willing to take the risk. It seems that compiling 600 over two days just makes the game more or less safe, which is the safety first approach, and then it's down to hope that you can bowl the opposition out twice in three days.
    Which is asking a lot. I'd rather set a target in the 450 range and then have at them twice.

NYYF HOF

Which is asking a lot. I'd rather set a target in the 450 range and then have at them twice.
    I think it's 500 minimum unless you are Australia!

England were quite effective when they went with the high risk policy, particularly in the 2005 Ashes series, but the problem at the moment is that we don't have the batting depth required. It is unlikely that, say, our wicketkeeper is going to come out and "do a Gilchrist"! Hell! Even Brett Lee is a very useful performer with the bat in his hands! India are probably the second best equipped team in world cricket to try and force it, but I doubt they ever try it in a sensitive series against the Pakistanis. The fear of losing overcomes all else in such a series.

I see the joke that is the West Indies cricket team managed to plunge the depths further last week by losing to Zimbabwe (now minus test status) in a ODI in Harare. How much further can they plummet? Sorry, rhetorical question!

NYYF Legend

When were Zimbabwe stripped of their test status?

NYYF HOF

When were Zimbabwe stripped of their test status?
    Sorry, gdn. Slight misinformation on my part! Given that the Australians have backed out of a tour there and that because of the political situation not many others are even going to think about it, I suppose you could say that it's a tacit drop in status. Without getting political, I just don't see how Zimbabwe can compete at test level, given (a) the current political situation, and (b) they just don't have the players to compete at the highest level.

Nice to see Murali beat Shane Warne's record this morning when he removed Paul Collingwood. England's batting exceeded my expectations and took a 92 run lead on the first inning. Meanwhile, in Calcutta, the Pakistanis comfortably avoided the follow on and the game will now meander to the inevitable draw.

NYYF Legend

Sorry, gdn. Slight misinformation on my part! Given that the Australians have backed out of a tour there and that because of the political situation not many others are even going to think about it, I suppose you could say that it's a tacit drop in status. Without getting political, I just don't see how Zimbabwe can compete at test level, given (a) the current political situation, and (b) they just don't have the players to compete at the highest level.

Nice to see Murali beat Shane Warne's record this morning when he removed Paul Collingwood. England's batting exceeded my expectations and took a 92 run lead on the first inning. Meanwhile, in Calcutta, the Pakistanis comfortably avoided the follow on and the game will now meander to the inevitable draw.
    I wish I could feel the same way.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Tabata
    I wish I could feel the same way.
    Come on, Tabata. I know that "homerism" is a way of life for you Aussies , but credit where credit is due. I doubt that anyone will get anywhere near Murali's record when he finally retires. Can he reach the magical 1,000 test wickets?

NYYF Legend

Come on, Tabata. I know that "homerism" is a way of life for you Aussies , but credit where credit is due. I doubt that anyone will get anywhere near Murali's record when he finally retires. Can he reach the magical 1,000 test wickets?
    I can't really give credit to someone who... well you know.

Addicted Member

I don't blame Murali for chucking - but I do have an issue with the fact that he feasted on the lesser nations. Warnie played against everyone and all over the globe whereas Murali feasted on spinning friendly wickets in the sub-continent.

NYYF HOF

I don't blame Murali for chucking - but I do have an issue with the fact that he feasted on the lesser nations. Warnie played against everyone and all over the globe whereas Murali feasted on spinning friendly wickets in the sub-continent.
    Ah, do I detect a hint of bias here with Warne playing for Hampshire?!! Despite all the allegations, Muralitharan has never been "convicted" of throwing so you might as well drop that one! I agree that his action is highly suspect but until he is deemed to be a chucker, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Thread Information