+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 78 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 53 ... LastLast
    NYYF HOF

Re: The Official Cricket Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tabata
    ......., but I'll have to agree. He's probably the nicest guy on the team.

Holy smoke! You mean......there may be another member of the Aussie cricket team with a bit of sportsmanship in his blood?

Addicted Member

NYYF Legend

Sangakarra made it close, though, eh? Tabata - a few nervous flutters now and then?

NYYF HOF

One of the most nicest parts (for me) during the now completed Australia/Sri Lanka series was to hear the dulcet, inimitable tones of the great Richie Benaud. Does Richie still commentate on a full-time basis for Channel 9, Tabata? Now that "Sky" has total monopoly on cricket coverage for this country, sadly we don't get Richie's unique brand of commentary any longer. Doesn't seem the same somehow because he certainly became one of the "voices of cricket" in this part of the world because of his very long association with the BBC and later with Channel 4.

gdn, I was watching part of the last of the ODI series between India and Pakistan when one of the the commentators mentioned that the match was being televised in the USA by "Directv". I know you said that "Directv" is expensive, but how expensive is expensive? Do you have to go pay-per-view or something, rather than cricket being available as part of an overall sports package? I am pleased to say that ppv is very restricted in this country, and now is usually only applicable to the likes of boxing and WWF (is that officially a sport?).

Addicted Member

I can jump in and answer the Benaud Q - He does the David Gower role - main host for cricket and full-time commentator. He signed a new three-year deal in 2005 with channel nine and will be there until he decides to leave. I fully expect him to return to England in time for the 2010 season when the BBC are planning to buy back all the rights.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Blokee
    I can jump in and answer the Benaud Q - He does the David Gower role - main host for cricket and full-time commentator. He signed a new three-year deal in 2005 with channel nine and will be there until he decides to leave. I fully expect him to return to England in time for the 2010 season when the BBC are planning to buy back all the rights.
    Cheers, Blokee, that's very interesting. Maybe I have been asleep, given the amount of cricket I've been watching lately, but surely "Sky" will be in there throwing huge amounts of money around, which the BBC will never be able to match, when the television rights come up for bidding again in 2009. The only way the BBC is going to get its hands on test cricket in this country again, as far as I can see, is if the Government steps in and declares that home test test cricket matches should be restored to "crown jewel" status and therefore handed back to terrestrial television in the shape of "The Beeb" or Channel 4.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by gdn
    Sangakarra made it close, though, eh? Tabata - a few nervous flutters now and then?
    Not really to be honest. It was a great innings by him but when he went out they were still 143 runs behind and I knew when Sangakarra went out, Muralitharan wouldn't last long with the way he bats.

NYYF Legend

It was a great day of cricket all around for me yesterday. Not only did Australia win, but my Bushrangers set a new record in the Pura Cup in Brisbane.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nashwan
    One of the most nicest parts (for me) during the now completed Australia/Sri Lanka series was to hear the dulcet, inimitable tones of the great Richie Benaud. Does Richie still commentate on a full-time basis for Channel 9, Tabata? Now that "Sky" has total monopoly on cricket coverage for this country, sadly we don't get Richie's unique brand of commentary any longer. Doesn't seem the same somehow because he certainly became one of the "voices of cricket" in this part of the world because of his very long association with the BBC and later with Channel 4.

gdn, I was watching part of the last of the ODI series between India and Pakistan when one of the the commentators mentioned that the match was being televised in the USA by "Directv". I know you said that "Directv" is expensive, but how expensive is expensive? Do you have to go pay-per-view or something, rather than cricket being available as part of an overall sports package? I am pleased to say that ppv is very restricted in this country, and now is usually only applicable to the likes of boxing and WWF (is that officially a sport?).
    On Benaud - yes he still does commentary. He is one of the voices on the cricket game I play. Due to the constraints of the game, it is the same 20 statements over and over again. Gets a little annoying.

On DirecTV - it is about $150ish for a package, I think. That's pretty expensive. I'd pay for it too, except my apartment doesn't have a direct line of sight to the sky (there's a huge tree in the back yard), so I can't use DirecTV and it isn't offered on cable (a tragedy).

NYYF Legend

Wow, Victoria ended up crushing Queensland by 276 runs in that Pura Cup game. What a turn around! They were 228 runs behind when they started their 2nd innings. What a funny game cricket is. Go Bushrangers

NYYF HOF

On DirecTV - it is about $150ish for a package, I think. That's pretty expensive. I'd pay for it too, except my apartment doesn't have a direct line of sight to the sky (there's a huge tree in the back yard), so I can't use DirecTV and it isn't offered on cable (a tragedy).
    I take it that that is $150 per month? Yes, that would be a tad expensive, to be fair, because package I subscribe to with "Sky" works out to about $90 a month. Coincidentally, I had a whacking big tree at the bottom of my garden some years ago but when I discovered that there was no cable facility in the neighbourhood, I waved an impromptu goodbye to the tree!!

NYYF HOF

It was a great day of cricket all around for me yesterday. Not only did Australia win, but my Bushrangers set a new record in the Pura Cup in Brisbane.
    Whatever happened to the good, old Sheffield Shield?

NYYF Legend

Whatever happened to the good, old Sheffield Shield?
    Went years ago, Nash. Even all the way back to 2000 I think.

Addicted Member

Cheers, Blokee, that's very interesting. Maybe I have been asleep, given the amount of cricket I've been watching lately, but surely "Sky" will be in there throwing huge amounts of money around, which the BBC will never be able to match, when the television rights come up for bidding again in 2009. The only way the BBC is going to get its hands on test cricket in this country again, as far as I can see, is if the Government steps in and declares that home test test cricket matches should be restored to "crown jewel" status and therefore handed back to terrestrial television in the shape of "The Beeb" or Channel 4.
    Well as part of my job I have to deal with television and radio people etc... and I understand the BBC are very serious about bringing Test Cricket back to the channel and the ECB know that they made a mistake awarding the rights to a non-terrestrial station.

NYYF HOF

Well as part of my job I have to deal with television and radio people etc... and I understand the BBC are very serious about bringing Test Cricket back to the channel and the ECB know that they made a mistake awarding the rights to a non-terrestrial station.
    I hate to be a pessimist, but unless "Sky" suddenly loses interest in cricket - and I don't see that happening any time soon - I can't see the BBC outbidding them for the television rights.
    Last edited by Nashwan; 11-21-07 at 07:39 AM.

NYYF Legend

I take it that that is $150 per month? Yes, that would be a tad expensive, to be fair, because package I subscribe to with "Sky" works out to about $90 a month. Coincidentally, I had a whacking big tree at the bottom of my garden some years ago but when I discovered that there was no cable facility in the neighbourhood, I waved an impromptu goodbye to the tree!!
    No, it is $150 per package - so for one series it is $150. If there are a greater number of tests and one-dayers, then the price goes up.

NYYF HOF

No, it is $150 per package - so for one series it is $150. If there are a greater number of tests and one-dayers, then the price goes up.

That does seem to be ridiculously expensive for armchair viewing, I must say. I don't begrudge a penny of the $90 subscription to "Sky" each month because they provide sport from all around the world, during each month of the year, for what I consider to be a reasonable price. As you know, I am particularly partial to watching cricket from the southern hemisphere during our bleak winter months. That being the case, I shall tune in at 4.00 a.m. GMT tomorrow morning, to catch the first couple of hours play of the first test between India and Pakistan before I set off for work. I'll certainly spare you a thought as I am sitting watching the cricket whilst tucking into a bowl of "Rice Krispies"!!

NYYF Legend

Great avatar gdm

NYYF Legend

That does seem to be ridiculously expensive for armchair viewing, I must say. I don't begrudge a penny of the $90 subscription to "Sky" each month because they provide sport from all around the world, during each month of the year, for what I consider to be a reasonable price. As you know, I am particularly partial to watching cricket from the southern hemisphere during our bleak winter months. That being the case, I shall tune in at 4.00 a.m. GMT tomorrow morning, to catch the first couple of hours play of the first test between India and Pakistan before I set off for work. I'll certainly spare you a thought as I am sitting watching the cricket whilst tucking into a bowl of "Rice Krispies"!!
    Well, I found a website that allows me to view the match. Perhaps. Let's hope it works tomorrow

NYYF Legend

Great avatar gdm
    That match makes me cry man...what a tragedy. Klusener was unbelievable during the World Cup... all went to naught because stupid Allan Donald forgot to run.

NYYF HOF

Well, I found a website that allows me to view the match. Perhaps. Let's hope it works tomorrow
    I'll say a prayer for you!

NYYF Legend

That match makes me cry man...what a tragedy. Klusener was unbelievable during the World Cup... all went to naught because stupid Allan Donald forgot to run.
    I still can't believe I didn't get to watch that game live.

Addicted Member

I hate to be a pessimist, but unless "Sky" suddenly loses interest in cricket - and I don't see that happening any time soon - I can't see the BBC outbidding them for the television rights.
    Nor can I...but I still think that the lower bid will win...

NYYF HOF

Nor can I...but I still think that the lower bid will win...

That will a first, then: money doesn't talk! Don't see it happening myself and I guess we'll have to wait a while to find out.

NYYF HOF

Excellent morning session for the Indian team on Day 1 of the First Test in Delhi. Pakistan won the toss and decided to bat on what looks like a pretty slow pitch with uneven bounce and struggled to reach 74-3 at the break. Some good bowling by the home team but Pakistan didn't show a lot of ambition. Incidentally, I know that India is well off with batsmen, gdn, but what do you think lies behind the decision to omit Youvraj Singh, who is in the form of his life, from the Indian team?

Thread Information