+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 78 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 52 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: The Official Cricket Thread

My picks for WI: Lara, Walsh and Ambrose. Those were some bowlers. *shudder*

Finally, SL: Murali, for sure, Aravinda DeSilva, who was as graceful as they come and if I had to pick a third, I always had a soft spot for Ranatunga - although I don't think he approaches the level of some on these lists.

NYYF Legend

I was just watching some clips on Youtube and I have to admit that every time I watch the 1999 semi-final between AUS and SA and Klusener's exploits, it brings a tear to my eye. I feel just awful that they lost.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Humph
    Wikipedia tells me Richard Hadlee played test cricket until ' 90 . He's a must for the New Zealanders, imho.

Apparently, he took over 400 test wickets at 22ish runs a piece, which tells its own story, but he only batted a 27 test average. I thought he was better than that with the willow.
    Good shout, Humph. I hadn't realised that it was only 17 years ago that Richard Hadlee last played test cricket. Feels a lot longer to this old bugger!

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Blokee

Athers - that night in Manchester with the ball from Allan Donald coming down and Athers refusing to give up his wicket was pure drama. The 185* @ Jo'Burg to save the test was the best rearguard knock of the modern day England era.
    That Atherton/Donald episode was pure theatre and test cricket at it's very best. Athers' 185 n.o. in South Africa was nothing short of miraculous and when you watched him trudge off the field at the end of it, eyes looking like pee-holes in the snow, you had an idea of how much concentration and dogged determination went into his inning.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nashwan
    That Atherton/Donald episode was pure theatre and test cricket at it's very best. Athers' 185 n.o. in South Africa was nothing short of miraculous and when you watched him trudge off the field at the end of it, eyes looking like pee-holes in the snow, you had an idea of how much concentration and dogged determination went into his inning.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JojnoSO4MDc

NYYF Legend

2 wickets in the first hour of play. Should be 3 but that's another story.

NYYF Legend

Sri Lanka all out for 246, Jayawardene with a great innings.

We didn't send them back in though. 300 runs in the lead as of right now.

NYYF Legend

Nash, what are your thoughts on England picking Ashley Giles as the new spinning coach?

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Tabata
    Nash, what are your thoughts on England picking Ashley Giles as the new spinning coach?
    None, really, because you made me aware of it! It's only for the "back up squad", I believe, which is no big deal. Mind you, the First XI is no big deal, either!

NYYF Legend

None, really, because you made me aware of it! It's only for the "back up squad", I believe, which is no big deal. Mind you, the First XI is no big deal, either!
    Wasn't he part of the team for the Ashes? Who's the spinner in the XI now?

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by gdn
    Wasn't he part of the team for the Ashes? Who's the spinner in the XI now?
    He was indeed. Monte Panesar has more or less taken the spinner's job over from Giles.

NYYF Legend

He was indeed. Monte Panesar has more or less taken the spinner's job over from Giles.
    Ah yes, that name seems familiar. Well, that's not so good for Giles is it? If I remember correctly, he could bat a bit too. Can Panesar?

NYYF HOF

Ah yes, that name seems familiar. Well, that's not so good for Giles is it? If I remember correctly, he could bat a bit too. Can Panesar?
    Monte tries hard with the bat, practises diligently, but, er, to my way of thinking he will always be the proverbial "Genuine No.11"!!

NYYF Legend

Interesting day tomorrow should be. Sri Lanka need 260 runs with 7 wickets remaining. If we can break this partnership early I don't see the reat of the Sri Lankan doing much.

Addicted Member

Monty is as good with the bat as he is in the field

NYYF HOF

Interesting day tomorrow should be. Sri Lanka need 260 runs with 7 wickets remaining. If we can break this partnership early I don't see the reat of the Sri Lankan doing much.
    If Ricky Ponting keeps giving Stuart MacGill the ball, the Sir Lankans might just be in with a shout. My God, MacGill's "waywardness" today had to be seen to be believed. Sangakkara, in particular, had a great time smashing MacGill's bowling to all parts.

NYYF Legend

I read somewhere that he was injured - something about a bad knee. With Symonds out as well, it'll be up to Lee and Clark.

NYYF HOF

I read somewhere that he was injured - something about a bad knee. With Symonds out as well, it'll be up to Lee and Clark.
    He is, evidently. However, surely you use more of Michael Clarke's part-time off-spin to give Brett Lee, Stuart Clark and Mitchell Johnson a blow, rather than allow MacGill to give away free runs and fill the Sri Lankan's with confidence? MacGill was all over the place: long hops, full tosses, half volleys, no balls and any other rubbish I might have forgotten! His final line of 16-0-93-0 bears testament to today's ineptitude.

I thought Brett Lee was terrific today, first by his working over of Attapatu, which led to the fall of his wicket, and then by bowling Jayawardene with a peach the very next ball.

NYYF Legend

He is, evidently. However, surely you use more of Michael Clarke's part-time off-spin to give Brett Lee, Stuart Clark and Mitchell Johnson a blow, rather than allow MacGill to give away free runs and fill the Sri Lankan's with confidence? MacGill was all over the place: long hops, full tosses, half volleys, no balls and any other rubbish I might have forgotten! His final line of 16-0-93-0 bears testament to today's ineptitude.

I thought Brett Lee was terrific today, first by his working over of Attapatu, which led to the fall of his wicket, and then by bowling Jayawardene with a peach the very next ball.
    I agree. Ponting may have made an error here in sticking with MacGill. Or at the very least MacGill should go to Ponting and say: "I need a break; ankle is killing me and I'm just giving up runs".

Addicted Member

I am a huge fan of Brett Lee - I think he is developing into the best fast bowler in the world today.

Steve Harmiston has been called up to the England squad for the tour of Sri Lanka.

NYYF Legend

I am a huge fan of Brett Lee - I think he is developing into the best fast bowler in the world today.

Steve Harmiston has been called up to the England squad for the tour of Sri Lanka.
    He's turned it around since he got married. He'll be I'll best bower this summer for sure.

14th consecutive test matches wins

Let the good times roll

NYYF HOF

Agreed.

Lee is not your archetypal Australian, though: not only he is a really nice guy, but a true sportsman as well!

Waste of bloody space! He'll get homesick after an hour and bugger off back home!

NYYF Legend

Agreed.

Lee is, however, not your archetypal Australian: not only he is a really nice guy, but a true sportsman as well!
    Ouch, Nash

To be honest I wouldn't really call Lee a "true" sportsman. He gives those tale-enders a hell of a time.

NYYF HOF

Ouch, Nash

To be honest I wouldn't really call Lee a "true" sportsman. He gives those tale-enders a hell of a time.
    I think that Lee treats all batsmen, front line or tail end, in exactly the same way: they must removed as early as possible.

Brett Lee won a huge number of admirers over here in 2005, with his personable nature and sportsmanship. That scene, with Flintoff putting his arm around Lee at the end of one of the test matches, was terrific. Pure mutual respect at the end of a real war of attrition. Summed up that whole series, to be honest.

NYYF Legend

I think that Lee treats all batsmen, front line or tail end, in exactly the same way: they must removed as early as possible.

Brett Lee won a huge number of admirers over here in 2005, with his personable nature and sportsmanship. That scene, with Flintoff putting his arm around Lee at the end of one of the test matches, was terrific. Pure mutual respect at the end of a real war of attrition. Summed up that whole series, to be honest.
    He stuffs around with tail-enders to much for me. He just needs to get to the point and bowl at the wickets, but I'll have to agree. He's probably the nicest guy on the team.

Thread Information